The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MORG

Ethnobotanic cacti: Retail sources

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for retail places to pick up cacti of ethnobotanic interest...

I've noticed a lot of people seem to pick up some interesting stuff from time to time.

I'm north of Sydney so any suggestions for good places around the Hills District/Hornsby/Epping/Central Coast would be good.

In fact, if you've got a fave nursery for this area I'd like to know too. I've recently moved in and am unfamiliar with what's around except the abundance of Bunnings'.

Im not sure where it is exactly but your best bet is Hamiltions Cacti Nursey, look it up.

What Andy said. I was at Hamiltons last week, the scop I picked up from them recently is pupping 4 ribbed.

Also good is UrbanTribes (www.urbantribes.com.au), they used to be cheaper but I think lots of people were throwing their generosity into the cooking pot instead of into soil so they upped the price to deter those unwilling to work for their cacti.

Hamilton's is where I go too.

But they are in Londonderry, which is just outside Penrith.

Not too close to North Sydney, but closer than SAB is. :P

I checked out the Hamilton's website, looks fairly impressive. :o

I'll definitely head out there when I get the chance. About an hour from my place so not too bad.

Thanks for the tip.

I passed a place, I think it was just north of Dubbo? Orana Cactus World? That may not be right, but its on the highway somewhere North of Hay and south of Armidale anyway

Nice Old guy with a lifetimes worth of cacti. Heaps of huge Trichs and others out the front, then he has a hot house out the back.

Doesn't have heaps of trichs for sale and no Lophs on display(but id be supprised if he didn't have them)

But it is a trully amazing collection, hundreds of echinopsis and mamms and everything!

All grown from seed he said. Heaps for sale too and pretty cheap!! He did have plenty of small bridgesii montrose for sale

I grabbed an attenocactus and a Echinocereus, good examples

Its worth a look if your passing by I'm going, back, you could spend a few hours there!!

Just tried to find Hamiltons website, it is listed as hamilonsworldofcacti.com on google, took me ages to work out why the link wasn't working. :wink:

Anyone who wants to make a trip to hamilton's on a Saturday, gimme a call. They are closed Sunday.

It's only 15 minutes from my house, I can either help you with directions, or come along with you.

Any excuse to go cactus shopping... :wink:

Yeah, I'm gonna try to get there when next I have a free Saturday. I'll give you a shout when I do Benz.

Also, u said that bunnings is everywhere aroud you in the city, and if this is the case why not do what i do and haunt the cacti section wherever my travels ay be... ive picked up heaps of small tbm, pach, scop and once a peruvian... ive also seen a couple of small astrophytum but havent bought any as of yet... prices are pretty all over the shop, like commonly the pack or scop u want is part of a display piece and costs $15 instead of 6 or 7... i picked upa whole bunch of TBM with 2 and 3 big segments, all for 5.95 each.. but sadly a bunch of them went to them bastard thiefs.. and the others up to T.

Yeah, I've dropped in on Bunnings a couple of times now but found naught of interest. I'll keep trying though.

Last time they only had those little pots with cactus characters in them. You know the ones that they give names and personas to? I'd like to see the character they give to a T. bridgesii monstrose.

"Old Mr. Penis-face" could be a hit with the kiddies.

look out for 'spike' the trichecereous.. i think he is an echidna or something of the likes...

look out for 'spike' the trichecereous.. i think he is an echidna or something of the likes...

I'll have to have a closer look! Do you know what Trich sp he is?

followed a link on the hamiltons site, check out the 'ads by google' half way down on the right

http://cactus-mall.com/nursery.html

:D

Edited by wandjina

Thanks for those guys.

Regarding Google's misspelled ad: I e-mailed them a little while ago about that. Figured they might like to know they're probably missing a bit of traffic. No reply.

hey morg, the common 'spike' the trichocereus is spachianus

I passed a place, I think it was just north of Dubbo? Orana Cactus World?

For anyone out that way Orana Cactus World is in Gilgandra which is about 1hour north of Dubbo.

"Gardens R Us" out in Mascot has a good range of cacti plus some nice mature Datura plants.

If I had money to spend I would have bought the 4-ribbed pachy-scop-type-thing out there that stood close to 1m.

Do you know the address of Gardens R Us MORG? I tried having a look in the yellow pages but no dice..

Hmmm... maybe I got the name wrong?

Anyway, it's Gardeners Rd. Mascot. Don't know the number sorry.

I saw a loph williamsii at Bondi that came from Hamiltons (had the hamiltons sticker) and about 4mths back i bought 3 pachs (about 100cm) from Hamiltons and the staff there looked a little weirded out (and i look relatively straight).

For a while our local Kmart in Sydney was getting those minature pachs, i bought about 6 which have doubled in size to about 70cm. This is easy to check as we go there anyway weekly or fortnightly.

None of them (bunnings, nurseries, kmarts) seem consistent, some days they have them and other days they have none. Although hamiltons might be an exception, but its to far for me to travel there regularly. I haven't seen pachs in the local kmart for about 6wks now so they are definitely a lucky dip.

I think i might stick with the UT bridgesii as IMHO the plant 'quality' is so much higher than the other ones i have seen so far (including UT pachs). But i haven't had any from SAB yet, maybe thats next.

good luck :)

Oh! PS: There is a huge Gardens R Us in Kingsgrove, but they are pretty useless for exotic cacti lovers.

Eden gardens (nth Ryde) had $135 (suspected) scop last time i looked about 4wks ago, it was probably about 7ft in total in three sections in a pot. A faery told me the potency wasn't particularly high though. A bit on the pricey side for a ornament.

im lookin forward to shoppin at the orana cactus nursery in dubbo on the way home for christmas!!!

must check out the central west nurserys while im there. and scoping the place for monstrous decades old trichs!