The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
NeuroPharmer

ID Please: Possible t.pachanoi from K-Mart. (Photos)

Hi,

I've spent *a lot* of time trawling (not trolling) and lurking on the old board, but this is my first post. Oh yeah, and sorry about the dodgy name, I had changed it on the old board, but this one doesn't seem to have that option.

Anyway, I got the cactus below at K-Mart, I'm quietly hopeful that it's a trich, the main things that make me hesitate are it's colour (a deeper hue of green than my San Pedros), and it's shape - the way it's so much skinnier at bottom than top.

I've never seen such a young trich in real life (mine were ordered as bare-rooted 45cm plants), so that's why I humbly come to you for help.

There are close-ups of the spines, esp., from side on, as these are some of the features that strike me as identical to my trichs, if only in miniature. The photo of the cactus in its new pot, standing next to the pot it came in, probably best captures its colour, the others are in late afternoon light, and so add some yellow.

I've shrunk the pics and cranked the compression on them so as not to take up too much space on the board, but I have the originals here (~5Mb each) if anyone wants a closer look.

Thanks very much for reading such a much-asked question!,

'NeuroPharmer' - bleh. :blush:

post-1215-1128991524_thumb.jpg

post-1215-1128991544_thumb.jpg

post-1215-1128991557_thumb.jpg

post-1215-1128991574_thumb.jpg

post-1215-1128991585_thumb.jpg

Yah, classic BigW/K-mart (i.e. Hamiltons) scop! I have one myself :)

Yah, classic BigW/K-mart (i.e. Hamiltons) scop! I have one myself :)

Thanks for the quick replies (you too Benzito).

Now forgive my profound ignorance... what's a scop?

I've been reading about trichs for ages (years), but the word scop only shows up in conversations, rather than papers... so I'm guessing slang?

Cheers!,

NeuroPharmer.

Trichocereus scopolicolus. A very common trich often mistaken for T. pachanoi. The difference is they have smaller spines and more sunken areoles, darker green flesh, and usually kind of fatter. Also not uncommon for them to have only 4 or 5 ribs.

Trichocereus scopolicolus. A very common trich often mistaken for T. pachanoi. The difference is they have smaller spines and more sunken areoles, darker green flesh, and usually kind of fatter. Also not uncommon for them to have only 4 or 5 ribs.

Ahh, I see. Awesome!

I'm going to go and google for it now.

Thanks! :)

Sorry Neuropharmer, I should've given you the full name. :blush:

That was poor form.

Sorry Neuropharmer, I should've given you the full name. :blush:

That was poor form.

Not at all! A doofus with a name like 'NeuroPharmer' should know these things :P

I don't want to start a new thread just yet, in case this is an oft-asked nuisance question: but, sincerely just out of curiousity, is there much anecdotal evidence floating around on t.scop use as a psychedelic??? Googling just shows over and over again that there has never been an official study, but given this cactus's resemblence to t.pach, I'm thinking heaps of people must have ingested it mistakenly, and gotten some results (good or bad), and then reported those results SOMEWHERE.

Anyway, just think out loud. I'll try to feel this out, trawl for a bit, then maybe start a new topic on it.

Thanks again,

NP

Its about the same potency wise as T. pachanoi by most accounts.

Its about the same potency wise as T. pachanoi by most accounts.

Yeah? And effect-wise?

I'm just kinda suspicous because after searching through this forum and entheogen.com, I'm finding dozens of posts like mine, where people mistake t.scop for t.pach :blush:

When they're told it's a scop, they're all like: oh ok, thanks anyway. (I was stoked just to find that it was indeed a trich!). But I know this doesn't prove anything.

Still, if in a recreational context t.scop was pretty much equivalent to t.pach, then wouldn't people fall over themselves to score them at nurseries, etc?

I don't know.. again just rambling out loud, and desperately trying to avoid doing uni work. Still, I'll keep looking around for t.scop usage reports and post anything of value that I find.

So far it's just vague coded comments like "yeah, it's useful"... or vague accounts based on crazy doses (in one case a metre!)

The possiblilty of t.scop joining the psychoactive fold - fascinating eh?

Cheers for the reply,

NP

There has been extensive usage of T. scopolicolus by people. Like I said, it is more or less interchangeable with T. pachanoi. I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a blind 'taste test'. There might be some slight variations of exact ratios of alkaloids, but probably no more than what you'd encounter within species.

There has been extensive usage of T. scopolicolus by people. Like I said, it is more or less interchangeable with T. pachanoi. I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a blind 'taste test'. There might be some slight variations of exact ratios of alkaloids, but probably no more than what you'd encounter within species.

Variations within species can be pretty huge, scop' i've tried seem to be more likely to cause nausea etc.

But other factors could be responsible?

Scops have been reported as inactive, as the same as pachanoi (the regular clones that get about) or up to twice as rich in alakoids.

the variability that is inherent in all the trichs is found here too

I like scops cos they have (virtually) no spines and flower readily

2 features any cactus would do well to have bred into it

I know this doesn't prove anything, since for example most people don't know the awesomness of t.bridgessi var monstrosus either.

I am curious about this and would love to get more info please. I am familiar with the effects of the tall monstrose form of bridgesii, but have never had the pleasure of ingesting a penis cactus. The non-monstrose form of this species is already very nice in effect and potency, but the tall monstrose appears to be somewhat stronger. The penis cactus however gets really mad reviews everywhere.

I've compared the growth rates of the non-monstrose and the penis form of a 2-3 year old plant under similar conditions. The normal one will produce about 60cm of 5cm wide material, while the penis form will produce only 3-4 small penis sized pieces. Now, the effective dosage for the normal form is about 20cm, ie 40% of annual growth. In comparison you would only need two penis' section (3cm wide by 10cm long), which is . While the latter represents a much smaller amount of material, it does still require about 40-50% of annual growth.

So in terms of home cultivation the penis cactus cannot be beat for compact high potency production. It would also be miles ahead on the 'less green gooo' scale. We have never been able to keep up with demand on this one even though we have plenty of stock plants, so obviously quite a few people are playing around with this one and it would be great to get more feedback on this variety (or maybe SAB customers just have penis obsession :blink: ) .

I actually think that the small cactus I got from bunnings a year or so ago is indeed one of those Scops!! Same characteristics of very dark gfreen flesh and larger at the top I believe.

post-803-1129618736_thumb.jpg

post-803-1129618753_thumb.jpg

Looks more like a pachanoi to me sugeshotcha, the ribs on the scop tend to be fatter and protrude less..scops to me always look alot darker in colour..

Yeah, that doesn't look like a scop to me...most likely a T. pachanoi.

Scops have really short spines, and somewhat sunken areoles. Also they mostly have 4-6 ribs. Rarely more. They have a somewhat 'rounder' appearance than pachs. And as said above they are darker. Often with a more obvious waxy skin than pachs. Check out this fat ass scop growin in the South Island, NZ. We have a lot of those here. Thanks to the garden centres choosing to distributing a lot of them.

post-906-1129627312_thumb.jpg

Yeah that is a nice scop zee_werp - really bumpy! I haven't seen any like that locally.

Sugeshotcha's is a scopulicola but a shrunken one. You can tell because the areoles are facing outwards rather than upwards.

Well its hard to get a sense of scale in Sugeshotcha's pic. If it is still just a young plant that is quite small then maybe it's a scop. If it is a mature plant of a normal (say 10cm ish) then I would doubt that it's a pure scop. There is quite a bit of variation within scops though, sometime soon I want to get some pics together of the different scop subtypes.

Sugeshotcha has the only pach IMLO the rest look like scops to me.