The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
waterboy 2.0

The humble cable tie

Well wasnt sure where to put this, but to make it fit, its "ethical" to re-use cable ties when you can:

670px-Undo-a-Cable-Tie_-Zip-Tie-Step-2.j

Undo-a-Cable-Tie_-Zip-Tie-Step-5.jpg#

so thats how you can re-use them, so you are now a fully accreditted

cable_tie_technician_tshirt-re2417960173

So what I am aiming to do is capture the ingenuity of cable tie users/addicts/beginners...lol

As you know them, find them, or discover by necessity, how do you use em?

EDIT - " "

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 7

Yes, they can be used as improvised snow chains

maxresdefault.jpg#

• Like 3

on one occasion, i've relieved my tomatoes of their burden by releasing the truss and then handcuffing a particular friend at a bbq that was slightly getting unmanageable through conventional means with the help of -the now liberated-cable tie.

on a side note Wb -i did leave the bitch and her boyfriend a screwdriver but they just looked at me like the gesture was an aggressive display(by me) at their indifference to other bbqer's displeasurable glances towards them.

so yeah, cable ties can be used to subdue quarrelsome bbq guests.

quite civil me thinks

• Like 6

When I was an apprentice we used to get the really big ones and zip them up around the tailshaft on the cars of anyone that had pissed us off.

As soon as the car starts moving the cable tie smacks up onto the underside of the floor and makes a really annoying sound.

Some people had them stuck on their tailshaft for over two weeks and had even taken their cars to mechanics who couldn't find the source of the noise.

• Like 6

i was in turkey as a lad walking thru markets and absolutely agog at how the vendors of fresh chook would display 2's 3's 4's or the magical hexagonal loopdeloop that was the 8chook a'hangin cable ties in the bazzar. Their feet seemed to be tied in a such a way that they seemed like it wasn't gunna hurt them as much as the neck chop later. lol

Turks aint big on driving duckies/papakya(in greek) ie postie bikes, they walk around.

love how you can also hookup cable ties to form almost unimaginable arrangements above lights and the like, ie pc fans adjustable easily thru cable ties.

it's funny what starts your motor sometimes huh :wink:

• Like 1

I think i have a bit of a thing for cable ties, I like to have the whole range of sizes in the tool box. They're just so versatile, and if you dont have one long enough for a job, you just join several of them together.

I always have cable ties in my camping kit. That's where i find them most useful. Among other things, they join tarps together so well to make wind breaks around the tent veranda.

They're good for joining chicken wire to a post for fencing. You can also use them as hinges for gates. They are like a rope/string/wire...a lazy mans (or woman in my case) fix it . Lol.

They can be sharp once you cut the over hang off, but i found a solution to that problem, just use a flame to melt the cut bit, and it balls neatly and is no longer sharp and pointy.

(EDIT; They're/there/their. :wink: lol)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 3

Frustrating when peeps cut the wrong end and render it useless. Or just treat em as a throw away item.

• Like 1

Zip ties for life

• Like 1

Super cheap cock ring?

• Like 4

Must admit I like em too. They make the stuff I make look pro. All neat electrics and sh!T =).

• Like 1

It seems almost every day that im looking through the shed for more cable ties. My first car a VL was literally held together with cable ties, needless to say it had issues.

• Like 1

fwiw- the white opaque ones break down when exposed to uv, the black ones wont......building codes around here allow them on flexible duct work to sheet metal fittings connections......I buy em in 36" & 48" lengths

• Like 2

^lol...at work its like "...mate go and get me some cable ties..."....they come back with white, then they are making another trip :wink:

...had to tie knots when younger with cordage...lol.... :wink:

I find them the shit for attaching shade cloth....plain wire, rabbit wire, just as loops.....

Good for attaching temporary fences and protection cages.

lol Amz...yeah I have them poked everywhere...glovebox, first-aid kit...lol....toolbox....

EDIT - art as well...

5288a__Cable-Tie-Sculptures-1.jpg

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

Did you make that Waterboy? Nice use of cable-ties. Makes me think "lamp".

• Like 1

makes me think bored apprentice sparky

• Like 2

^lol can see the sparky at work...and not my work Ghosty. It does look like a therapeutic bit of work though.

....a lamp

Zip-Tie-Lamp-1.jpg#

0910st_10_%2Bmsd_super_conductor_wires%2

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

^^^

Damn that's an evil little mod. Very nice.

Not much to add - there's plenty of youtube vids detailing the escape teks above, just in case some BBQ host decides to restrain you :P They point out that you can even shim some ties using the pointy end of another tie - which is handy when you're out in the garden & can't be bothered finding a screwdriver.

I liked the bamboo geodesic domes held together with zipties - there is even a company who has patented a kind of dome connector piece made outta PVC pipe & ties - gotta love it!

chickencoophub.gif

There's something wonderful about the idea of building a house with bamboo & zipties...

• Like 1

^ that actually adds a lot Anodyne :wink:

Peg board and cable ties

c3129d4dea0f4256aac0313ed989985b.jpg