The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
pinegapcontrol

tips for dealing with variegated cacti

is there anything i can do to encourage the continuation of a variegated cacti? or should i just treat it as i would if it were not variegated.

its a trich, PC.

Yeah, great question. I have a variegated PC too and it seems to loss the yellowing. I'm not sure if I need more light or less.

~Michael~

I sure hope neither of you paid $700 for a tiny cutting like the ones going on ebay atm....

• Like 3

I sure hope neither of you paid $700 for a tiny cutting like the ones going on ebay atm....

love this comment. extortionists galore on ebay!!

• Like 2

From what I've seen sunlight helps show off variegation but I don't think it will make a cactus grow more variegated areas, just make them more pronounced.

Could be genetics that cause it to be either light or heavily variegated. I have seen some cacti that produce hardly any variegation and then can produce amazing vibrant yellows on other parts so not really sure here..

I have seen that if you can get a variegated cactus to flower that it will increase the % of variegated seedlings produced. Similar to the monstrose % increase when breeding with mutants.

"I have seen that if you can get a variegated cactus to flower that it will increase the % of variegated seedlings produced."

Awesome, new project.

If it is an offset off a non-variegated mature plant leave it on, I've taken cuttings before only to have them grow out very quickly, so frustrating. I find seedlings generally stay true when kept in good light.

"I have seen that if you can get a variegated cactus to flower that it will increase the % of variegated seedlings produced."

Awesome, new project.

This is definitely true. I have several different batches of seeds labelled "variegated ..." and got anywhere from 10-100% variegation out of them.

tips for dealing WITHOUT a variegated cacti is my problem

Edited by bullit
  • Like 7

Out of a batch of Werdermannianus seeds I got one variegated seedling - It's about 1.5 years old

I'm not sure how true to form it will look in a couple more years but it is interesting...

VariegatedWerd1.jpg

VariegatedWerd2.jpg

• Like 6

Guest Señor Corrochio

This pic's from over a year ago and it hasn't put on any variegated growth since.

post-11985-0-17820000-1428027552_thumb.j

post-11985-0-17820000-1428027552_thumb.jpg

post-11985-0-17820000-1428027552_thumb.jpg

Last week I re-grafted my variegated lophophora from pereskiopsis to a SS02Xbridgesii.

I left a piece of the button with a green pup on the pereskiopsis to see how it will grow out.

post-6382-0-96257300-1428037206_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-96257300-1428037206_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-96257300-1428037206_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have noticed with my hoya collection that the variegated plants tend to grow less variegated leaves when they are deprived of sunlight compared to when they are receiving proper lighting. I assume greater chlorophyll production to make up for less light is part of the cause. I have no idea if this would hold true for cacti or not. I have noticed anecdotally that variegated cacti seem more prone to sunburn if they are nor carefully transitioned to greater light levels.

• Like 1