The Corroboree
gtarman

Tips to deal with difficult people at work..?

Hey all.

So I'm going back to working in hospitality because I need something part-time and it's something I have a lot of experience in...but one thing I always hated about hospitality work is all the tossers it seems to attract that make work a miserable place to be - the prima donnas, the egotistical managers, the power-trippers, the catty bitches, and just the petty politics of it all in general.

I never really found a way of dealing with these people besides putting up with them or finding a different place to work. It wasn't too bad with co-workers, as long as you had a decent manager who would back you up if you told them they were out of line. But I find many places even the managers are shit people.

I've been kind of pinballing from one job to another lately trying to find one that doesn't suck and I'd like to be able to just settle down in this next role.

So I'm wondering if maybe the collective wisdom of SAB might be able to help me devise some ways of dealing with said difficult people that don't involve walking out the door. I'm always prepared to walk if I have to - life is too short to let people walk all over you. But like I said, I don't want to leave if I don't have to :)

Cheers

Gman

there is always going to be those type of people, if anything just remain calm, smile, get your job done, and hopefully there is a decent boss that respects someone that just gets the job done minus all the bullshit.

go the extra yard for people that are nice to you,

do the bare minimum for the dickheads,

• Like 2

Have two tea spoons of cement

• Like 5

-actually I'm shithouse with difficult people

Edited by incognito

The easy answer: don't work in hospo.

But if you are set on the industry for the time being, fair enough.

Try not to let yourself get emotionally involved in the social dynamics of the work place. Your workmates need not be your friends and its not really worth the effort trying to get someone who you work with to see the error of their ways.

I think you can only manage your own reactions to other people's behaviour, and usually the best reaction is no reaction at all.

Try to always detach yourself from any anger or frustration when it arises, remind yourself that they cant help being a product of their conditioning, take a deep breath and carry on with your work.

Remember that it's just a job, and you don't have to like everyone you work with. Leave them to their own bullshit and don't buy into it, whatever it may be. Be civil and polite, even if others are not.

If there are too many fuckwits treading on your toes, move along to somewhere you feel you are offered more respect.

• Like 4

they r everywhere :BANGHEAD2: pull there fuken heads off !! :innocent_n: good luck

• Like 2

Have two tea spoons of cement

Heh? :scratchhead:

The easy answer: don't work in hospo.

Yeah, ideally I wouldn't...it's just there aren't too many other options for me at the moment. I guess I'll just have to do like you say, which was kinda my strategy already. I guess you can't avoid dickheads no matter where you go.

As soon as I read you first post the first thing I though too

When I worked in customer services I found myself naturally mirroring the behaviour of the person being delt with. If they were cool, I was cool, If they were a complete rim-licking, cock-jockey I would try to be one myself back. Not blatantly but I would become completely brain dead and be as unhelpful as possible trying to send them down the long route for something that took no effort for me to do. Of course it varies from situation to situation.

• Like 1

Gtarman i think the lame cement jibe bigred tried to add was to - harden the f*@k up.

• Like 1

another good one is to leave work @ work as much as possible, when i leave the place, i try not to think about it in the slightest.

• Like 5

Especially avoid bitching and politics no matter how tempting and juicy it is. Always remember those that will bitch to you will hitch about you. Set ur boundarys from day one, treat people with respect and generally it will be returned.

I've worked in mANY different fields and industry's including hospitality and I can assert that it doesn't change. People are people, u have assholes, power struggles

And pecking orders anywhere that you are working with people.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 2

Compartmentalization.

This is the key to dealing with life in general.

Work is a means to an end. A place to make money enough to pursue what you want to do outside of it, it means nothing more, well doesn't to me anyway.

I put it and the wankers I work with into a box, don't let them out and by doing so just let all the shit slide, just so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Switch off, zone out, nod along and go home where your life actually starts, on your time.

Getafix

• Like 6

Thanks guys, great advice. And yeah Getafix, that's exactly what I ought to be doing...I guess sometimes the monkey brain makes it hard not to take things personally. But I'll have to renew my efforts and turn up the zen.

Gtarman i think the lame cement jibe bigred tried to add was to - harden the f*@k up.

Ohhh right. Easy for him to say...gingers don't have souls after all, they wouldn't understand :P

• Like 3

Compartmentalization.

This is the key to dealing with life in general.

Work is a means to an end. A place to make money enough to pursue what you want to do outside of it, it means nothing more, well doesn't to me anyway.

I put it and the wankers I work with into a box, don't let them out and by doing so just let all the shit slide, just so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Switch off, zone out, nod along and go home where your life actually starts, on your time.

Getafix

Hear Hear

• Like 1

• Like 3

Yeah great advice thread killer

Ok will give you some advice in the work force there a fuckwits every where kind of like non team players.

Some have a attittude like the work there doing is benealth them . Some have a political view and will always

try to bring you into a argument and or debate . But dude your young and very smart dont forget that,I think everyone

has to find a path that they will enjoy in life. What education do you have I know you have a green thumb , what about

a job in the horticultural field. I work part time as a gardener for friends and also work in the hydroponic aquaculture industry

as well. I enjoy my job its at a nice pace. Even if you hate your job you do it and that says a lot about your work ethic .Sorry

if you got offended about the cement joke should have put a :P at the end of it no malice intended . But dude just keep your head down

and always keep your options open. Your young i went through a few jobs before i found my path.

• Like 2

Yeah all good, didn't think you were having a dig or anything. I don't really have problems hanging in there, just thought I'd ask for peoples advice to see if I could find better ways of doing it :)

• Like 1

bloody sucks at work..........those sucks need to get a life

my advice to the op is to kill them with kindness.

It's not a sign of weakness or bowing to superiority, it's a road sign in your psyche which says to others

"Listen, i think you are misintepreting my acts of kindness for stupidity"

eventually when you have to walk.....you leave with your indignity intact.

A clear conscious that denotes maturity. Those wanks that need to bully you at work(god know you cop anough of that in real life :P)

will hopefully look back and learn at your beautiful demenour .

walk always with your held up high and sleep tight as a bug in a rug at night.

l n l

• Like 2

bloody sucks at work..........those sucks need to get a life

my advice to the op is to kill them with kindness.

It's not a sign of weakness or bowing to superiority, it's a road sign in your psyche which says to others

"Listen, i think you are misintepreting my acts of kindness for stupidity"

eventually when you have to walk.....you leave with your indignity intact.

A clear conscious that denotes maturity. Those wanks that need to bully you at work(god know you cop anough of that in real life :P)

will hopefully look back and learn at your beautiful demenour .

walk always with your held up high and sleep tight as a bug in a rug at night.

l n l

True. Generally speaking pricks are stupified and are unsure how to react when you respond to their bad attitude with being nice. Its all to do with your own attitude. Think And be positive and happy in everything you do. Exude love. Its contagious! !!!

Im not buddhist but id suggest doing some reading on the subject as they have some great ideas on how to cope with being human!

Dealing with difficult work mates has always paled in comparison with dealing with difficult customers imo.

Find a common enemy.