The Corroboree
gtarman

Anybody here dumpster-dive? Have advice?

So this is going to be completely alien and unthinkable to some folks (which is okay, that's your opinion...you might just wanna click away to somewhere else if you don't like it)....

I want to get into dumpster diving for food - but I don't really have any idea of where to start and how to go about it. A couple months back at night I snuck a look in a dumpster behind Woolworths but I was freaking out that somebody was going to discover me at any second and start yelling at me and shit so I kinda chickened out from actually going through any of the bags.

The fear of getting discovered and the possible consequences (not sure if there would be any legal ones?) of that happening is the main thing that stops me from getting into it. I have anxiety problems at the best of times and that kind of situation where I feel like I'm trying to do something clandestine and 'not allowed' and avoiding detection just flips me right out and I psych myself out something chronic. I basically just panic.

So just wondering if anybody here has any useful info on it - how to best go about it, how to minimize the risk of getting caught, best time to do it, what the consequences of being caught might be (if any), tips to keep calm, or just anything to help get me started really. Any and all info appreciated.

Cheers :)

• Like 3

I had to do this for a while during highschool unfortunately. The best place to hit is McDonalds right on closing time. It's pretty much the last bag they throw out and the burgers are inside their own garbage bag and completely clean. For some reason they put them all together in their own new bag and ditch them. It's usually right at the top and it'll be the only bag that's warm. Sometimes there's like 30 burgers in there, sometimes none, but usually it's 5 -10.

Having said all this. It only takes about 2 days of eating McDonalds to start feeling like shit, so you can't exactly live off it.

And I did get caught once but managed to get away. Dark days...

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 7

Another mate of mine lived near a bakery in Brisbane and I was shocked to see an entire industrial bin full of breads etc going to waste. He took me there just to show me how crazy it was and we came home with about 4 garbage bags full each. But he said the same thing. You just can't live off the stuff, it's not real food. You need meat n veg in your diet and I wouldn't recommend sourcing that sort of thing from a bin.

Had some damn nice olive bread in that bin though :)

• Like 1

The reasons businesses don't want you to dumpster dive are because sometimes people make a mess and can't be bothered to clean it up so it is then left to the business to clean up. Also people can potentially harm themselves while dumpster diving and then sue the people that allowed them to dumpster dive.

Having said that no-one wants to go outside and tell someone off for going through the bins, it's too awkward, most people would prefer to look the other way.

Most drinks are still fine, glass or can is the way to go, don't take home any drinks in plastic they have an awful taste to them.

HD, my experience working in a bakery... we'd throw out between $600-$800 of bread each and every day... bakerys are hard to run a profit on due to the amount you have to bake without guaranteeing it can be sold during that day. Most bakerys give yesterdays away to charities or such... we gave ours away to some guy who fed everything to his farm animals. We didn't ask questions, it was just fine as long as he'd pick up between 4 and 8 massively packed 240L garbage bags each day without fail.

• Like 3

Just remember RULE #1- dont get caught.

Depending on the manager you could get charged with theft if the dumpster is on their property or with theft by finding if it is on public property i think, correct me if im wrong on the latter.

Theft by finding applies to pretty much anything & everything in public space unless you want to claim an entire continent in which case just claim it all in your name, its all good.

Edited by shortly
  • Like 3

I know of a case of charged theft whilst dumpster diving. That said the skip was locked and forced entry was made by breaking the chain.

Most I see these days are locked, and as dis mentioned I think it was due to the mess made by some folk ransacking their way

to the hidden goodies.

• Like 2

It's probably wise to talk to some local dumpster diving peeps so you can get some tailored advice to your area.

People who have been doing it for years seem to have a plethora of information on where to go at what time, what dumpsters aren't actually locked just look locked, and where to completetly avoid because they pour rancid meat juice over everything to keep foragers away.

That last bit -rancid meat juice- yeah, that's real. Some places do that (and undoubtedly much worse) and you don't wanna have to find out first hand.

The people I know who have done it seem to do so in tribes. Almost religiously too. And when I see some of the hauls they get, I can understand why they do.

So I dunno, maybe you would wanna team up with a couple mates. Probably helps to have more than one brain on the job, as long as they are good quality brains of course.

And in regards to your anxiety, that could be a real hindrance to you, so learning how to curb it (even for a short while) should probably be the highest priority. When you panic, fuck-ups come a lot easier.

Just remember RULE #1- dont get caught.

^^

Good advice that. Listen to shortly.

• Like 4

I dumpster dive for anything and everything - I can't say I've found a lot of food though - mostly discarded building materials, electrical goods, shop fittings etc... I usually ask the office or house near the bin If I can rummage - they're more than happy for you to take it 99% of the time. Saves them money on having to get the bin emptied - big boy bins, big blue bins, you name it - I dive in it.

I've been doing it for years - and I've been told off 'once' - by a middle aged lady that had no rights over the bin herself and just wanted to be bossy and ruin everyone's day. You do get a lot of looks though! Feet dangling in the air as you're upside down trying to free the bolt on that last industrial castor wheel with a makeshift spanner - you get so engrossed in what you're doing, by the time you pop your head up there's a few people milling around whispering and shaking their heads - "silly people", I think to myself, "There's gold in here and you're so prudish you can't see it" - haha, and I keep digging!

Get into It mate - it'll help with your anxiety - And when you get that 'Oh how disgusting' look from some passer by - just smile and grin at them and completely ignore their anxiety projected onto you about what you're doing. Its not your anxiety... it's theirs :)

• Like 14

When I was a lot younger and worked at Coles.. every Wednesday night around closing a few family's used to go through our produce bins and come away with some awesome stuff! Even though most of the fruit and veggies have already been sitting in Coles' cold room for months before they're put onto the floor, most of the stuff they throw away is fine! These family's were walking away with a few garbage bags each! Of good stuff! For free. Anything from cabbages and lettuce that just need a few extra of the outa leaves pulled off, apples and oranges that seem to have nothing wrong with them.. Bags of potatoes that may only just be starting to go a little green, pumpkins and so on! I wouldn't knock dumpster diving at all! I've seen what people can come away with!

• Like 3

Now I'm reminded of a bin behind a carpet business. almost always full of rolls of different sizes, some of which in brand new condition because they cut it wrong or whatever. I use it on the floor in my shed and just replace it when it gets old and dirty.

I recently retrieved a nice piece for the back of my van too and I remember being upside down in the bin with my legs in the air thinking 'the true definition of dumpster diving is when your feet are actually in the air' LOL. I virtually had to empty the whole bin to get to the piece I wanted, those rolls of carpet can be heavy buggers.

Cleaning up afterwards is imperative, leave no trace you were ever there lest you find your precious resource permanently locked from you.

Now this also reminds me of one of my other treasured abundant resources, a bamboo grove on a semi-government business premises. Once you are in the thick grove no-one would ever know you're there, and it's littered with a wealth of dead bamboo canes which I silently cut up with secateurs, roll into a neat bundle which I bind up with twine, -its almost therapeutic. Then at the end I'll carefully carry the bundle to my vehicle, without being noticed and leaving no trace behind.

One time I was nearby with a 'mate' collecting some sticks for a BBQ. He had a bit of a veggie patch so I showed him to the bamboo grove, so he also could share in one of my most 'sacred' and respected abundant resources. But he just went crazy in there hacking and sawing at the canes and making a huge racket. And then off he'd go loading them into my car, loudly opening and closing the doors etc. The dogs next door were barking like mad, I just couldn't believe this guy's mind set.

But what sent shivers down my spine was that once he saw all the nice green bamboo that was still alive, the dead stuff just wasn't good enough for him any more. He was blatantly sawing down someone else's plants and cutting off all the branches making a huge mess like a smash and grab on a jewelry store. I just wanted to get the hell out of there before the cops showed up.

I was having an argument with him the whole time but I had to keep my voice low. I was like how could you come in and rape and pillage this place it's a renewable natural resource that is here for you for the rest of your life, respect it and DONT F**KN GET US CAUGHT!

Well, eventually I took off out of there like a getaway driver, bloody bamboo leaves hanging out of the doors and windows. I really let rip at this guy and he gave it all back, he even got out of the car at the lights slammed the door and walked home, I'm just glad he didn't attack me while driving because he's pretty blown on speed and is pretty unpredictable. I sooooo wish I never took him there.

Moral of the story, if you find a sweet abundant resource (whatever it is) respect it and don't fuck it all up for yourself or the next guy.

Leave no trace you were ever there and don't get caught. :wink:

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 7

I do the bamboo thing too, it's easier to take the dead ones anyways... Lol

Can't speak for everyone's area, but where I live, if you look around the smaller suburb shopping centres you have much better luck... The big guys lock there shit up tight but around the IGAs etc its much easier. My mate travels 45mins a week cos he's found a butcher and franklins that dump meat on a weekly basis, hello dogfood!

• Like 2

most of the fruit and veggies have already been sitting in Coles' cold room for months before they're put onto the floor

Yeh I learnt the same during my teenage stint at woollies! The best source of fruit and veg are found in the neighbourhood. Just make a list of all the fruit and veg plants you see around people front yards and hanging over fences. We've been munching all sorts of goodies already this season ;) a stray mango bush is half way done too!!

Disclaimer; I feel I am a good enough judge to notice untended plants that people aren't harvesting and tending... Work out your own values here... Maybe, it's best to watch the plants for a while before you harvest incase they are wanted by the owners, but by all means do a fence hop if the bounty of food is about to spoil. You'll see this in rental properties heaps

• Like 3

Yeh I learnt the same during my teenage stint at woollies! The best source of fruit and veg are found in the neighbourhood. Just make a list of all the fruit and veg plants you see around people front yards and hanging over fences. We've been munching all sorts of goodies already this season ;)

When I was in NZ I could easily see people living almost completely for free! There are fruit trees everywhere! Peaches and nectarines just growing on the sides of roads, grapes everywhere. You can go looking for oysters and muscles on most beaches/ inlets. Pippies on almost every beach/ inlet.. Can almost always catch a fish if you shuck your line out (good sized fish too) ...You've got kiwi fruit fields all over the place (also good for p. Sub sight seeing) almost everyone has lemons in the front yard etc.. So good.

• Like 2

You poor dero, maybe we could all chip in for some groceries for you. Happy to chip in 20 for food.

• Like 3

lol..all good. In it for love, not money :lol:

• Like 2

~ one-third of food produced for human consumption, about 1.3 billion tonnes per year, gets lost or wasted globally

The world is so full of a number of things,
I ’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.
  • Like 4

Oh they be the days ... When the fridge was packed full of lotus root and pigs heads, and the entire freezer occupied by numerous 10litre tubs of fancy-as-fuck gourmet ice cream.

So much we couldn't freeze it all, a sickly and torturous experience, trying to eat hundreds of dollars worth of premium quality ice cream as it melts.

I don't miss that time.

• Like 3

If you've got a nice smile, a pleasant approach and good story, you could get the food before it reaches the dumpster. Pop into the bakery and ask them if you can have their leftover bread, I'm sure they'd prefer it to be used than go in the bin - offer them $2 per shopping bag full. It's amazing what you can get if you ask. I think most people assume 'nah they wouldn't go for that' but a quick 'hey, do you reckon I could pop in at the end of the week and pickup your leftovers?' will either get you a 'no' or more food than you can poke a stick at. It's break even or win - gamblers paradise.

All the food

Not going to

... waste

Yay.

I know what you mean man. I don't like the idea of asking people for things though, it makes me feel like a beggar or something and creates this weird dynamic where you invite pity and paint yourself as asking for help, and even if that's not always the case it still feels that way to me.

Some would say that you'd look like more of a hobo sifting through a dumpster but that's missing the point...it's not about desperation or just getting free/cheap food, hence why I declined incog's offer above (as kind as it was). If you just want handouts there's a bunch of places most average people could go with far lower prospects of hearing the word "no".

What it IS about - at least for me - is taking matters into your own hands and exercising your own power as an individual to provide food for yourself in a practical and responsible way, that lessens your impact on the planet, and of society's impact on you - in that you have reduced "costs of living" and have more time to spend as a free individual instead of as the denizen of some corporation or other that destroys the planet, wastes the best years of your life, and couldn't give half a shit about you (or anything but their bottom line).

And as far as getting food and reducing waste is concerned, I'd rather just enforce it myself than give somebody the option (the option to refuse, and the option to judge you). Dumpsters don't say no, and they're not likely to project their narrow-minded worldviews and well-to-do pity-parties onto you for trying to salvage good food going to waste, or to eat without paying for it...like not engaging in consumerism for it's own sake is some kind of dire moral offence.

experience -

the divine

.. being

within !

They're starting to sound like sentences now, I like it! :lol:

• Like 1

From what you're saying, it sounds like you need plants - lots of them!

They're non-judgemental, they can handle verbal abuse without holding a grudge, they flourish when you tend them, they live on when you ignore them, they provide you with bountiful food and after a little worm action they eat their own waste and convert it it back in to more lovely delicious fresh food. All in the comfort of your own yard... :)

• Like 3

Yeah, I have plants lol. But I agree with you.

• Like 1

I used to work at a dump once, it was actually a really good job because I was the only person there, I was the boss of the entire place, cruising around in the bobcat and forklift. breaks whenever I pleased.

It was a wonderous land of junk and treasure, and i had the first bite of the cherry so to speak. Tools, backpacks, building materials, heaps of cool stuff, often brand new.

I had a great time introducing positive changes. I would offer a discount to people who had things they could recycle.

eg if there were a couple things like an old bike, mower, chair or planks of timber on their trailer, I would only charge them for half a trailer instead. The only catch was that they had to drop off the stuff at the recycling section (saved me dragging stuff around all day).

People would have a browse while they were there and buy something for a dollar or two and be on their merry way. It worked really well and there was a good turn over. I sometimes made $50 per week on the side which bought me a carton of beer a week :)I also made a couple grand $$ in recycled metals, thanks to a couple of willing buyers.

Anyway, the only reason I quit that surprisingly awesome job was when I had some very near misses with syringes from the hospital. The hospital was allowed to dump used syringes in an open cardboard box as long as the patients were not infected with anything... go figure :scratchhead:

I also had a close call with a trailer load of asbestos that they guys hid under a couple pieces of fibro. And It was very dusty at times with plenty of small pieces of asbestos all over the place.

So what I'm getting at is be careful when you enter the "dragon's lair" you never know what you may encounter. Broken bottles, mixed with bodily fluids etc, cockroaches, flies and maggots that spread bacteria throughout the contents of the entire bin. I'm glad I got out of the game before anything bad happened to me. It was my girlfriend and my doctor who talked me out of it, and I'm glad they did. It wasn't an easy decision to make at the time.

By the way. Legally I had to have a tetanus shot and hepatitis B shots before I could start the job, which I did already have thanks to my travels OS, but maybe dedicated dumpster divers could consider getting these shots some time, just in case.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 4