The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
BentoSpawn

BRF Spawn Jars

I just double checked, looks like its 150 cartons :P lol ! my bad...

Bought some jars from kmart tonight, got them home to realize they are utter crap and the jar lids pop off incredibly easily :/ ill have to return them over the weekend >_< Even putting a decent lid does not solve the problem, the problem lies in how the thread was made on the glass itself - epic fails.

The jars sold as Woolworth's are not too shabby though, but more expensive and smaller.

Edited by BentoSpawn
  • Like 1

the filter disk i get are around the size of a twenty cent piece they are .2 micron and are great for jars has any one had any trouble with kmart jars i use them for grain and they seem alright for a dollar

Psylo, can you please post a link to the seller of the AA you are getting?

Im in transit right now, but check amazon for the 21.5 quart AA 921, its $199USD

All my jars are the ones you get a Coles. 1 litre jars are about $3.00, from memory. For a while there, I was just chucking one in the trolley whenever I was buying groceries. They've withstood multiple PCing. 2 out of the 12 that I bought needed new lids because they would just jump the thread if you tightened them too much. Just check them as you're buying them...

Of course, they have tapered mouths so you won't be doing cakes in them, but for anyone working with grains, I can't recommend them enough.

Spotlight sell replacement lids for these jars, should yours get damaged or lost.

• Like 1

Thats good to know Marcel, thanks for the info. This is one of the reasons why i love this forum, there is lots of tips that directly apply to Australians - very happy i decided to sign up.

What are the quality of the jars / lid compared to say, kerr ? Will a kerr lid fit well on the coles jar ? Been wondering if its worth while buying quality lids off the net and using them on locally sourced jars - still need to do a cost / benefit analysis on this though.

Edited by BentoSpawn

What's the brand name of these jars from Coles?

I was at Coles yesterday keeping an eye open for jars but couldn't find anything (unless I wasn't looking in the right place)

I know woolworths sell pickles in 1 litre jars for about 3 bucks. Coles could sell them too. that's what I used to use. I think they were always fresh brand or something to that effect. Bottom shelf sort of shit.

The pickles are crap so tip them out and keep the jar. They aren't even in vinegar these days just that food acid solution - yuuuk.

I found a wad punch is the best way to make a hole in the lids, quick easy and no burrs.

• Like 2

I saw some pretty lefty 1L jars in Kamrt last week, which were $2 I think. Still, I like the idea of the 'classic' canning jar style of Ball/Kerr. I eventually want to have a matching range for all of my household needs (I do some great pickles, and other condiments).

• Like 1

Is there a way to tell what glass will withstand a pressure cooker? (kinda like the plastic identification number on the bottom of plastic containers)

Is there a way to tell what glass will withstand a pressure cooker? (kinda like the plastic identification number on the bottom of plastic containers)

There is no marks on the jars no, but if you buy an empty jar and it has a pressure sensitive lid that makes that popping noise when you press it in the middle, you can pretty much assume that it was designed as a canning jar.

• Like 2

Just an update, i have put these jars (edit: the jars i made in the original post) to use, to grow some tasty table mushrooms. Out of 12 jars i believe only 1 has contaminated (some strange red spots) :) So far so good, lets see how many of these jars get to full colonization.

Edited by BentoSpawn
  • Like 2

Just an update, i have put these jars to use to grow some tasty table mushrooms. Out of 12 jars i believe only 1 has contaminated (some strange red spots) :) So far so good, lets see how many of these jars get to full colonization.

The 1L pickle jars from Woolies?

I've checked Coles for these and couldn't find any, will check out Woolies next time I go grocery shopping.

Although -- for $3.00, it's not going to be much more expensive to get the proper mason jars.

I like the idea of the ring on mason jars so you can hold down a patch of tyvek without having to glue it.

Edited by SYNeR

nah, i ment the half pint jars in the original post in the picture.

I did this lot with a verm barrier for added protection, next round however i am going to try without verm to see if the tyvek is good enough to hold back the contams and provide gas exchange.

This will also mean that it will be possible to add slightly more BRF/verm mix per each jar for slightly larger cakes.

I don't see why not.. It would just be the same as using tyvek on grain jars?

Thats my thinking yes :)

im really keen i use kmart jars a lot the are shit the lids only last two cycles then the seal is fucked wish i could get new lids for them. psylo i think the brand is vertflow filter disk they are the size of a twenty cent piece and come in various micron sizes. A pack of fifty is $4 but had a few contam issues with my tek using them maybe the seal was not properly dried but they are auto clave safe .

• Like 1

does a decent lid from say a kerr fit on there ? if so you can order kerr lids online :)

The jars in the original post proved to be very successful :) I am now harvesting oysters and the family is loving having super fresh tasty mushrooms !

im really keen i use kmart jars a lot the are shit the lids only last two cycles then the seal is fucked wish i could get new lids for them. psylo i think the brand is vertflow filter disk they are the size of a twenty cent piece and come in various micron sizes. A pack of fifty is $4 but had a few contam issues with my tek using them maybe the seal was not properly dried but they are auto clave safe .

I just saw this comment.. I never thought of home brew filter disks. From what I've read, you only really need down to 0.3 microns.

If they last a while without having to be replaced, I might give them a shot.

I'm using polyfill for now because it's cheap and so easy to replace..

i would stick with poly fill its cheap works great i find the discs to be to much hassle than they are worth

I just saw this comment.. I never thought of home brew filter disks.

I'm still at a loss to understand what these things are that the rangman is refering to. Some sort of distilling consumable? There's nought of this sort of thing for brewing.

I've had a search around and can't find anything..

The only thing I'd be willing to try are Synthetic Filter Disks.. apparently they last ages (forever?). But I haven't

found them locally for a reasonable price.

I'm not too keen on gluing tyvek on to my jar lids only to have to replace it every few uses.. So for now, polyfill is the way to go.

Edited by SYNeR