The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
BentoSpawn

BRF Spawn Jars

Made some new BRF jars today, hopefully this might help out someone new :)

Equipment:

12 wide mouth half pint jars

Scissors

Painters Coveralls - made from Non-Woven Polypropylene

20c piece

Pencil

RTV Silicon - or any other silicon with a high temperature rating

Drill with 2.5mm bit

1) Use the 20c piece as a guide to draw 24 circles on piece of the painters coveralls using the pencil

2) Cut out the 24 circles of material

3) Drill 4 holes evenly spaced on the outer rim of the jar lids (if using two piece lids drill your holes on the inside lids)

4) Drill 4 holes in the centres of the lids, making sure that they will all fit under the 20c sized pieces of cloth you cut out.

5) Draw a circles of silicon around the centre holes and squash down a piece of cloth other the holes

6) Repeat this again, this time putting a circle or silicon over the outer edge the piece of cloth you already put down and apply a second layer of cloth

7) Put a bead of silicon on the outer holes from the top and the bottom. These will serve to be cheap self healing injection holes :)

By the time your done you will end up with something looking like this

24fd1rp.jpg

Grow some nice legal edibles ! They will taste much nicer than anything you can buy in the shops :)

Edited by BentoSpawn

nice work! are the air exchange holes necessary? or could ya get away without em.

If your using self healing inoculation holes then you need to let the myc breathe somehow, otherwise your jars could stall halfway though growth.

Instead you could use 3m micropore tape over the breather holes if you want to simplify the jars. It should be noted that these jars are rather overboard, but i had the tyvek material around and figured why the hell not :)

Edited by BentoSpawn

nice work do you always use the red silicone i use the clear and never had a problem is the red any better

This is actually my first shot at using self healing inoculation holes, in the past i just used 3m micropore tape over the top of the holes and put on another strip after inoculating the hole. Self healing holes mean i dont have to apply more tape after so they are a bit of a luxury.

I used clear at first, i thought it was pure silicon. Turns out it had some additives so it could be painted >_< After finishing the jars i was doing some LC on another jar using the same silicon - turns out the silicon i used at first had a boiling temperature of 110 degrees C. So i needed to start the sterilisation process all over again *reminder to self, look at MSDS before hoping to pressure cook silicon*.

So rather than mess around i went to super cheap auto and bought a tube of RTV silicon in a 80g tube - you could definitely do this with the smaller tubes with tones to spare. Stripped all the jars back using turpentine on a cloth and started from scratch again.

You can use any colour/clarity silicon as long as you look at the MSDS for the boiling temperature BEFORE starting to use the silicon :P The temp in you pressure cooker at 15PSI (usual recommended pressure) will get to 121 degrees C - so aim for much higher than this when researching the product you wish to use.

An alternative to the MSDS is a product specification guide - so if you cant find one try looking for the other.

Hopefully someone can learn from my mistake :)

Edited by BentoSpawn
  • Like 1

The clear silicone will help you find the hole with the needle. I hate fishing around with the needle and chewing up the silicone. Plus since I do my inoculation open air I like to be as fast as possible.

The lids are nice and would be great for grain jars, but I still think a dry verm barrier it all that is needed for PF jars (IMHO).

Hopefully after the first use the hole will be easier to find, the 2.5mm hole is pretty fairly center of the small mound of silicon. So if anyone else is using red silicon i advise taking your time to keep it tidy and centered !

Edited by BentoSpawn

hopefully this might help out someone new :)

Is this tek "tried & tested" by you on multiple prior grows?

• Like 1

Nope ! Usually i do 3m tape over the inoc holes - this is a 1up on that. Have no reason to believe that it would not work however :)

Actually ill throw up some pics when they have something in them... good or bad. Might be a few weeks though, heading off to bali very soon :)

i get the home brew filter disks they are awesome but they get a bit rusty after a while those jars are awesome where did you get em i have had no luck finding them :BANGHEAD2: i just settled for plastic 250 ml jars edit; i am thinking about getting a heap of jars from china they have these 1750 ml large mouth lids would probably work a getting a few people and get bulk

Edited by bigred82

For BRF foil tops are the way to go.

However these jars would be great for some grain.

Got mine off ebay from an australian seller, the price was quite reasonable

$29 + Postage is pretty expensive

Id assume Aussie mushrooms is making a fat profit on thos.

Ive been told in America you can buy a dozen for $10 maybe even less at wallmart.

Australian prices are BullShit !!

The shipping from the US would be prohibitively expensive.

I'm sure like any business that Aussie mushroom supplies is making a profit, but looking at the prices, he's not making as much profit as red back trading.

I had an Op shop try and sell me 1L Utility jars, dirty, without lids for $3 each. I laughed and told them where to go. The chick had looked online and saw they were apparently $9 each brand new and thought she was doing me a favour offering them for $3. GTFO!

You can find sorts of crazy prices online, wether is it selling is another issue all together!

You can get half pint jars from woolworths for $3.50 each which is cheaper than getting them online. The jars are not wide mouth however, good for rye/wbs but terrible for brf.

Edited by BentoSpawn

Aussie mushrooms wants $30 for 200 grams of agar powder..... thats $150 per kg.

Not a bad mark up.

With profits like that i should stop bitching about the prices and start my own supplies website.

No affiliation to Aussi mushrooms, but his prices on jars are pretty much on par with the other Australian online stores (Oz Farmer & Redback), give or take a few bucks. As for markup, 200% or more is commonplace in just about any business. I'll bet the canning jars have the smallest markup of all the items that he sells.

As for US price, well we get that with lots of products. Bear in mind that Ball jars are USA manufactured, and small-scale shipping is very expensive. If anyone wants to risk breakage then Amazon will sell you a box of quart jars for bout third of the price, but quite a lot in shipping.Probably save you $10. For such a small saving, I would prefer to support local business and get my goods quicker, and feel safe that breakage risk is reduced.

Theres an AA 921 on the way from the US, destined for me as a gift, and the shipping was $60 :o In that case though, compared to Oz Farmer's store, it still worked out $100 cheaper to ship from abroad

Big Red, what do you mean by home brew filter discs?

I would prefer not to be purchasing American made jars in the first place.

Surely we can make glass jars in Australia.

• Like 1

The minimum wage in this country has destroyed most of the manufacturing industry many years ago. Besides that, there simply isn't a widespread 'canning culture' in Australia to justify a local market. Preserving is a very American homesteading concept these days. In Australia, the trend mostly died when Grandma kicked the bucket.

EDIT: I think Cospak still manufacture some of their own products (whether out of their China operations, or locally, I will find out), I need to call them next week, and will inquire as to whether they have anything suitable for autoclaving. I suppose temp-stable polycarbonate lids would be the best bet?

Edited by Psylo Dread
  • Like 2

l looked on the cospak website, minimum order is like 150 jars. I wonder if doing a group buy we could get jars for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Thats surprising, many times their batches are by the pallet.

Do you have a link? A group buy is a good idea if people are all in the same city.

• Like 1