The Corroboree
incognito

Favourite Vietnamese dish?

Mines without doubt beef pho. I am going to have a red hot go at making it myself once my ovens fixed. I just LOVE Vietnamese food, the way they use herbs and spices is great.

Anyone with simple recipes to share?

hands down Raw beef and meatball pho! with heeeeeeeps of fresh coriander and spring onions on top! gotta love that pho.

-rice paper rolls

-chicken coleslaw

-vermicelli noodles drowned in that sweet dipping sauce, fresh mint, sugar cane prawns

-all of it really!

edit- forgot pho of course, chicken and rare beef combination thanks

Edited by NegativeDave

phở bò and some soy and chilli sauce on the side. If you want a good chilli sauce (and don't want to make your own) you can't go past Sriracha:

091006sriracha.jpg

the grilled "lobsters" they sell on the beach at most well known spots.

$1 for 5 ...heaven

i watch luke nguyens shows on sbs, i admit all his dishes look amazing,

AMAZING!

• Like 1

I think of you every time I eat pho nito! :wink: And would be up on the list for my favourite dishes

One of my faves is steamed grouper with lemongrass and chilli.. The freshest of fish.. cooked to perfection.. with a knockout flavour hit!

Lau Bo (beef hotpot) is also fantastic.. And just like pho, each restaurant has their own broth recipe.. And when you find a good one...... wow.....

Would love to hear how you go making it.. I dont think it would be too easy to make a good broth without some local knowledge.. also, sourcing the right vegies would be hard.. keep us posted..

Thoung is keen to come over and make me pho to have for brekkie every morning. I'm getting real tempted to seal the deal ;) I will give making my own a good crack this w.e. seems simple enough, just need to get one of those mesh herb holders that goes in the pot with the water and beef knuckles.

Hope ur well over there sethomopod :) say hi to the fam, duan and ha for me :) u should speak to John at the buize cruise bout bringing back some bundy when u return there from aus this mango season, he sounded desperate.

Thoung and I went to another mad seafood place on longbeach. Rivaled the one at cam duk! Thoung orded but anyways we get this huge fuck off fish that I'm wondering how the hell me and this 40kg max Vietnamese will devour. They brought it to us BBQ'd, I was pretty full with crab, and thoung basically smashed the lot. I swear to god she ate her own weight I. Food that day. No idea how she did it.

Old mates rib burgers are pretty fit but I guess not viet food.

Edit- sethomopod YouTube hAs some good pho videos, which reflect most recipes you will find, and from convos I've had with thoung and slim seems its the same cup of tea.

Edited by incognito

She doesn't look vietnamese to me?

I've traveled extensively through SE. Asia, and Vietnamese food is my favourite. The best Vietnamese food I had was in Hoi An. It was a little old lady who was on the side of the road with her little food cart. She had no teeth, and couldn't speak a word of english, but her smile and demeanor intrigued me. I got a bowl of whatever she was serving (I still don't know what it's called), for 10,000 dong (about 70c at the time I was there).

It was incredible. I had another bowl right after I finished, and she looked genuinely happy that I had loved it so much, which made me feel even better. It was just a typical Vietnamese dish... broth with lot's of fresh green vegetables, bean shoots and a bit of coriander. To this day I still haven't had any better Vietnamese food... Here in Aus or in Vietnam.

My most memorable Vietnamese meal was in a dark urban back-street of Hanoi on x-mas day four years ago, a little old lady was set up with some childrens stools, cooking a late breakfast of chicken, tofu, noodles and spices. Fresh, tasty and cheap, for about 40 cents.

^ That reminds me of Bia Hoi junction in Hanoi. Drinking 15c beers and sitting on ridiculously small plastic chairs that could only accommodate one ass cheek. Good times.

Chicken curry Laksa or pho thai, always a toss up. $10.20 for a huge ass bowl, northbridge perth

You guys gotta check this joint out.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/338/1692702/restaurant/Perth/Ipho-Vietnamese-Cuisine-Fremantle

I went there on sunday for a fathers day dinner and ordered The stuffed chicken wings. then as a main i got the raw beef, meatball and tripe pho. it was served with heeeeps of fresh greens but i recommend ordering extra coriander and their home made sambal.

The food is reasonably priced and tasted very fresh. the colours were vibrant and the service is very fast. highly recommended.

You guys gotta check this joint out.

http://www.urbanspoo...isine-Fremantle

I went there on sunday for a fathers day dinner and ordered The stuffed chicken wings. then as a main i got the raw beef, meatball and tripe pho. it was served with heeeeps of fresh greens but i recommend ordering extra coriander and their home made sambal.

The food is reasonably priced and tasted very fresh. the colours were vibrant and the service is very fast. highly recommended.

I see ur urbanspoon and raise u The Vinh Hong resturant family run, soups always served with lots of breansprouts on side (like a mountain worth, vietnameese mint, fresh chopped chilli, choice of sauces, lemon wedge and I love the complimentary jasmine tea. Gotta hit up the jack fruit milkshake before u leave too :wink:

I'm thinking when I return to Vietnam I'll check out a lot more of the country. Have mainly just explored nha trang. It's only returning to aus u realise how shit we eat compared to the Vietnamese. Everything is so fresh, healthy and tasty. NEVER had the runs in nam, however as soon as I get of the plane and eat something western I start squid with the runs. I think my guts are designed for viet good. Maybee I'm an albino Vietnamese adopted by

My

Parents.

Edit- coin, I see they are marine worms not earthworms. I'd give them a go, not that I haven't eaten many an earthworm on dares growing up. Just taste like dirt no biggie.

Edited by incognito

We were happily surprised that you can drink the town water in just about every city and not get sick. It tastes better than Sydney water.

Yeah I drank from the tap water in nha trang and had no issues at all. I'm just in love with the Vietnamese people, their culture, ESPECIALLY their food .

I see ur urbanspoon and raise u The Vinh Hong resturant family run, soups always served with lots of breansprouts on side (like a mountain worth, vietnameese mint, fresh chopped chilli, choice of sauces, lemon wedge and I love the complimentary jasmine tea. Gotta hit up the jack fruit milkshake before u leave too :wink:

sounds similar to phong vinh in northbridge, free tea when dining in, $10-12 for a lovely rice noodle soup, lots of salad, very satisfying.

Vietnamese fish soup. Save your fishheads or prawn shells and heads and chuck them in a muslin bag. Cook it for a few hours with a few herbs and some tamarind, then throw in some veggies and rice noodles just before serving. Mke sure there is coriander leaves about too.

Yeah I drank from the tap water in nha trang and had no issues at all. I'm just in love with the Vietnamese people, their culture, ESPECIALLY their food .

i had a lay over in vietnam for only 1 day in 1992.

the meat baguette and a cold beer was pretty much heaven.

Banh Mi? is that the name.........all i could hear was bang me.

Edited by etherealdrifter
  • Like 1

salt & pepper fried quail & virmicelli noodle salad. best ever.