The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkSpark

I Hate Migraines

Ok so i decided i needed somewhere to rant about how fucking shit Migraines are. I am sure many of you have been there but this is a relatively new experience for me. I have been waking up the last few mornings(as well as a few a while back) feeling like i need to spew. I either do, or dry reach which turns my dull thudding headache into a fullblown pulsing pain ball that makes me want to rip my own head off. Sometimes even just a deep cough is enough to set this off.

The best part of them is that when you try to have a drink or take some panadol you spew it all back up. >=[ Its like there is no way to actually get rid of it except to sit there are writhe in pain. Why oh why is there such a thing in existance. It ends up that i just lay down with my head at the exact right angle to limit the pain enough to fall asleep. i have found some information that is pretty much describing exactly what i am going through though so i am sure the doctor will be able to readily find suitable pharmaceuticals to feed me in an effort to combat it.

Fuck you migraines.

note: if anyone can suggest ways to limit the pain i am all ears !

i remeber a post here at this forum, of a member saying, they learned to, early detect an onset, and take than, a well working preventative, but sorry i don't remeber what it was.

hopefull they info will be given again, or you manage to find this old thread, good luck.

edit: migranes sure can be a bitch, but proly this topic is better off @ chillspace.

exactly right p.h. if you get an warning "aura" then that is the time to take meds.

if too late for meds try lying on your bed with your feet on the floor in a bucket of the hottest water you can stand, the aim is for the blood to rush to the heat to help cooling therefore reducing blood pressure in the head.

i mysteriously stopped having them about 10 -15 years ago but was on adult meds(migral) from the age of 13 for the pain and would get them so severe my meds would knock me out for 24 hours to get over them. chocolate was my worst enemy triggering one in 30 mins so i never had easter as a child, it was not un common to find me in a fetal postion on the school oval trying to hide from the light while i bawled.

i hardly ever get headaches, but a few weeks ago, i had an almost permanent headache, for a few weeks.

it was there, right away, when i woke up, everyday.

i said to my friends, i hope it's not a tumor, and they just laughed there heads off...

you know why?

because, my english sounds like arnolds, and i had never watched kindergarden cop, hehehe.

migraines suck. I used to get them a lot, but occasional mushroom consumption and tryptophan when needed has kept them mostly at bay for years now. I sometimes get them from particular triggers. eg soy products can trigger them for me, so can PPIs [eg nexium] and red wine. last week I was given some endone and a few hours later I had a migraine, so have added that to my list.

Absolutely essential in the migraine recovery kit is an antinauseant. I use stemetil because maxolon makes me fuzzy. Most people prefer maxolon though. Last week I kept taking half a stemetil, then puked it up 10 mins later, then took another half and puke it up again, After about 2 hour of this I finally absorbed enough to stop my stomach from rejecting it. And then I can finally take an analgesic. I should have just shelved it as it would have been much quicker, but I wasn't thinking straight. btw, the aim is not to prevent puking, but to stop it when there is nothing left. if you kill the puking reflex before you actually puke then that seems to complicate things. Best thing is to get the stomach contents out and then stop the nausea. The 2 hours of puking left my diaphragm so sore I couldn't breathe properly for days. Violent puking like that can also be a serious choking hazard, especially if you're alone. That's the kind of crap you can avoid by having the right meds at the right time.

For people who have regular migraines and can't find & eliminate their triggers I strongly recommend acupuncture. Make sure you keep trying different acupuncturists until you find one that works.

The best part of them is that when you try to have a drink or take some panadol you spew it all back up.

note: if anyone can suggest ways to limit the pain i am all ears !

Panadol is really no good for migraines. My doctor suggested to take a few aspirin (because it's an anti-inflammatory, but paracetamol is not) with a strong cup of coffee or some caffeine tablets (vasoconstrictor), as soon as the first warning signs of an aura are felt. Then go lie down and hope like hell that it works - apparently if you catch it early enough you can head it off with this OTC stuff. (also try to eat some food at this point, even a few crackers or something, as aspirin+coffee isn't good on an empty stomach)

It never did work for me, but sumatriptan seems to do the job.

If you're puking for days, I would take Torsten's advice and get some anti-emetics when you visit the doctor. They can make you feel pretty crappy (dopamine blockers), but not as bad as retching with a migraine.

Hope you find something that works.

make sure your not dehydrated.

I've recently been to a bowen therapist, my headaches were definately related to a knot under my shoulder blade, acupuncture and bowen are really great for finding things that are out of whack.

Violent puking like that can also be a serious choking hazard, especially if you're alone.

Really?. What do you choke on?. It always scares me when i am retching so hard, and i have nothing left, but it feels like my stomach is going to come up. Now after reading its a choking hazard, i am going to freak out more! :)

Good Luck Dark Spark, i hope you get rid of migraines permanently.

:)

Ive had a few full blown migraines a while and yes they are seriously fucking shithouse. Like your mind and body just go haywire.

Ive recenltly started getting bouts of cluster headaches at about the same age my bro was when started getting them. Ive tried everything from paracetamol, ibuprophen, aspirin, codeine and mushrooms. Nothing has helped so far. At least they usually only last an hour or so but the pain in my head, mainly behind my right eye at the peak is fucking unbearable. It is like people say, like someones got a red hot poker in behind your eye twisting it around. Thank fuck theyve gone for now.

if you're waking up with it could it be something due to sleep apnea or some other sleep disorder? just thinking out loud but might want to get a sleep test or something?

qualia, in case you mean me, i have it planed to check myselfe for sleep apnea.

my dad had sleep apnea, with my age.

my problem is, i haven't had a girlfriend for quite a while (i live on my own), so i don't know if i stopp breathing.

i wake up often during the night, since years.

when you live on your own, pukeing is more dangerous, i'm aware of this, but it's new for me that, "empty stomach" pukeing is aswell dangerous, and i would like more info about this, if possible.

in my haydays, which involved a lot of, "calling ralph" we always accompanied, the sick person, which i hope, everybody does here aswell!

Maybe i am confused and Torsten meant choking when your bringing stuff up???

i hardly ever get headaches, but a few weeks ago, i had an almost permanent headache, for a few weeks.

it was there, right away, when i woke up, everyday.

i said to my friends, i hope it's not a tumor, and they just laughed there heads off...

you know why?

because, my english sounds like arnolds, and i had never watched kindergarden cop, hehehe.

lol ph.........TOOMAR

migraines suck. I used to get them a lot, but occasional mushroom consumption and tryptophan when needed has kept them mostly at bay for years now.

Absolutely essential in the migraine recovery kit is an antinauseant. I use stemetil because maxolon makes me fuzzy. Most people prefer maxolon though.

I've recently been to a bowen therapist, my headaches were definately related to a knot under my shoulder blade, acupuncture and bowen are really great for finding things that are out of whack.

massage therapy has worked in the past but.... with no happy ending :o

also, i don't know if you've seen this older post DarkSpark

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28389&hl=%2Bcluster+%2Bheadaches+%2B&fromsearch=1

Hope you find some respite from this debilitating condition but i also firmly believe in threshold level ,'maintenance' doses of mushrooms or chats with uncle cid. The quacks, the scans and their meds seemed to do little for me except just zonk me out.

hope it works out for you man, migraines do indeed suck bigtime.

If you're unable to keep down your pain meds, can't you find another method of administration? :bootyshake:

massage therapy has worked in the past but.... with no happy ending :o

Might want to try the happy ending - some people get immediate relief with their...uh..relief. Yes, I'm serious.

so if i follow^^^,

shelf your pain meds and go for the happy ending while chatting to uncle cid..............excellent

^^^ Hahahahaha - if it doesn't fix the headache, that would certainly take your mind off it...

I also find pinching the muscle between your thumb and pointer finger works for mild headaches - I guess the vigorous activities of self instigated happy endings would also massage this area... Massage the left hand for right side headaches and vice versa - hopefully you're an ambidextrous when seeking happy endings if this is your chosen method...

qualia, in case you mean me, i have it planed to check myselfe for sleep apnea.

i was talking about OP, waking up with a migraine could indicate a problem with sleep, maybe.

my mate had migraines bad, and he snores like a motherfucker, like real bad. but he had a sleep test and they reckoned nothing was wrong. i'm not sure if he's better now ill aks nex tahm.

Actually qualia - its funny you mention that - my mate has been having seizures - and they only happen when he's sleeping, and I can tell you, he snores like a bloody jumbo jet. I've been in the room before (and i wish i wasn't) and he definately stops breathing for at least 30 seconds or more, then bellows out the most hideous noises. I've never heard of a sleep test - I'll put him onto it. He's on some serious meds for it and to be honest - they're really f**king with him (although he's completely unaware of this) I'd love to find a way to get him off the meds, he's just not the same person... I'll find out if he gets migraines also...

Hey DarkSpark - has this been going on for long? or is it a new thing? I've never really been a headachy person, so I really feel them when i get them, and a friend (osteopath) cracked my neck one day after dealing with a headache for a coupla days. If it's a new thing, I'd really concentrate on finding the source. Pain meds are great - but long term thats a whole can of worms thats best avoided - I guess you'd know this already, but just flinging out some options, spinal problems are a major cause of headaches - it could be as simple as buying a new pillow...

wow so many responses, yeah i thought i might post it here as i fully intended to use profanities and such and didn't want to ruin the "vibe" of the chill space ahah

i remeber a post here at this forum, of a member saying, they learned to, early detect an onset, and take than, a well working preventative, but sorry i don't remeber what it was.

hopefull they info will be given again, or you manage to find this old thread, good luck.

edit: migranes sure can be a bitch, but proly this topic is better off @ chillspace.

yeah i have finally started to notice my early aura, i actually start off getting a bit of a mild pulsing feeling and that kind of feeling as though you need to cough that generally pre-empts a spew. AS well as this the early stages are a kind of almost semi-enjoyable delirium, however now that i know it preceeds the pain i am enjoying it less and less.

migraines suck. I used to get them a lot, but occasional mushroom consumption and tryptophan when needed has kept them mostly at bay for years now. I sometimes get them from particular triggers. eg soy products can trigger them for me, so can PPIs [eg nexium] and red wine. last week I was given some endone and a few hours later I had a migraine, so have added that to my list.

Absolutely essential in the migraine recovery kit is an antinauseant. I use stemetil because maxolon makes me fuzzy. Most people prefer maxolon though. Last week I kept taking half a stemetil, then puked it up 10 mins later, then took another half and puke it up again, After about 2 hour of this I finally absorbed enough to stop my stomach from rejecting it. And then I can finally take an analgesic. I should have just shelved it as it would have been much quicker, but I wasn't thinking straight. btw, the aim is not to prevent puking, but to stop it when there is nothing left. if you kill the puking reflex before you actually puke then that seems to complicate things. Best thing is to get the stomach contents out and then stop the nausea. The 2 hours of puking left my diaphragm so sore I couldn't breathe properly for days. Violent puking like that can also be a serious choking hazard, especially if you're alone. That's the kind of crap you can avoid by having the right meds at the right time.

For people who have regular migraines and can't find & eliminate their triggers I strongly recommend acupuncture. Make sure you keep trying different acupuncturists until you find one that works.

I am now using phenergan although i am not sure i will be able to keep the liquid down, as much as i dont want to go there suppositories might be the only way to help as i am def not going to be needling myself in any way. It is so bewildering the way the puking and migraines are so heavily entwined. Most times the first spew is what triggers the migraine, yet this morning finally getting something out (my water and panadol) instead of dry retching seemed to alleviate the pain.

Really?. What do you choke on?. It always scares me when i am retching so hard, and i have nothing left, but it feels like my stomach is going to come up. Now after reading its a choking hazard, i am going to freak out more! :)

Good Luck Dark Spark, i hope you get rid of migraines permanently.

and yes i can get how it can be a choking hazard there were periods of upto 30 seconds where i couldnt control the gag reflex and was so desperate that any breath would have done. I could see myself either choking on a mouthful or just not being able to breathe because of the continuous gagging. Its horrible.

if you're waking up with it could it be something due to sleep apnea or some other sleep disorder? just thinking out loud but might want to get a sleep test or something?

Some reports have mentioned this but i also get it at around lunchtime, however i do snore quite heavily and sleep apnea is a possibility. I have pretty severe tooth issues which could be compounding it as well.

If you're unable to keep down your pain meds, can't you find another method of administration? :bootyshake:

yeah i am seriously thinking of heading that way. Anything to stop the pain.

Actually qualia - its funny you mention that - my mate has been having seizures - and they only happen when he's sleeping, and I can tell you, he snores like a bloody jumbo jet. I've been in the room before (and i wish i wasn't) and he definately stops breathing for at least 30 seconds or more, then bellows out the most hideous noises. I've never heard of a sleep test - I'll put him onto it. He's on some serious meds for it and to be honest - they're really f**king with him (although he's completely unaware of this) I'd love to find a way to get him off the meds, he's just not the same person... I'll find out if he gets migraines also...

Hey DarkSpark - has this been going on for long? or is it a new thing? I've never really been a headachy person, so I really feel them when i get them, and a friend (osteopath) cracked my neck one day after dealing with a headache for a coupla days. If it's a new thing, I'd really concentrate on finding the source. Pain meds are great - but long term thats a whole can of worms thats best avoided - I guess you'd know this already, but just flinging out some options, spinal problems are a major cause of headaches - it could be as simple as buying a new pillow...

Generally i dont get many headaches, like none EVER. the occasional severe toothache and thats it. I got migraines for a couple of days a while back but nothing this bad or continuous. I%2

Have you considered misalignment of your atlas ?

I could never believe that a vertebrae could be misaligned, my way of thinking was that it would always settle into its natural position rapidly after any "adjustment". I was talked into seeing a chiro for a back problem and it cured my migraines for good. My back is still rooted but the migraines are gone.

and yes i can get how it can be a choking hazard there were periods of upto 30 seconds where i couldnt control the gag reflex and was so desperate that any breath would have done. I could see myself either choking on a mouthful or just not being able to breathe because of the continuous gagging. Its horrible.

Ah yes, i know it...that point of intense gaging where you cant catch your breath. Its even more scary in a dream like state.

I wonder if a slightly above average dose of Phenylethylamine three days previous to the first major migraine, combined with a slight predisposition to migraines, could possibly be the cause ? The dose brought on negative effects and was maybe reckless but i wouldn't have thought continuing negative effects like these to be likely, maybe headaches but not full blown mind explosions ? the dose was around 1500mg on an empty stomach after a few coffees. I had previously tried 500,1000, 1500 and 1700mg previously with no negative effects a fair while back in the same manner.

sorry, that wasn't well phrased. Normal puking isn't much of a hazard because you seem to keep control over the order of priorities. eg don't inhale while expelling food. When things get really violent then this order often gets confused. Like the other week I was convulsing so bad that I could not inhale for ages, so the inhaling then EVENTUALLY takes physical priority regardless of what else is happening. this is when people inhale food and choke.

So it wasn't the 'empty stomach' aspect that makes it dangerous, but the violent and uncontrolled spasms. Obviously there needs to be solids to cause dangerous choking.

btw, I strongly recommend banana bread with lots of milk if you think you are going to puke and want some contents to bring back up . It is the softest, least acrid and least disgusting food I've ever had on the way back up ;)