The Corroboree
Fenris

Cactus Thievery

During the winter storms the neighbors very large tree at my previous rental fell over taking out a number of fences and a shed. I am still good friends with my ex and left my plants in the ground when I moved out on the understanding that I could get them at a more convenient time when I had the space to move them.

About 3 weeks ago I did a bit of pruning as my big pach cactus had difficulty holding its arms up under its own load, so I took 30 odd feet home with me for replanting.

I was over yesterday dropping off our shared dog and noticed that a number of arms had been snapped off the same plant and a 4 ft section of bridge as well.

The back yard is much more exposed with the removal of the trees and there have been fencing guys around and tree pruners as well. In 8 years of collecting cactus, this is the first time someone has entered the property to steal cactus.

I am now concerned about the safety of the rest of the plants if the dog isn't there (I have him every weekend), and the time and effort to relocate them all. Unfortunately with my current living arrangements I think everything will have to be potted up and relocated and I'm hoping the new neighbors don't start eying them up.

Its just as well I had cactus to spare, I hope they eat the 4ft of bridge and get caught in psychedelic purgatory for 16 hours of torment.

• Like 2

The fact that people are starting to steal Trich's is a real worry... sorry to hear about your losses mate, plenty of cuts available here if you need to replenish your stock.

• Like 1

That sucks mate, lucky they didn't take too much (by the sounds of it). I'd help you move it if you weren't 4000kms away...

'starting' to steal trichs? :scratchhead: I thought this had been fairly common for a while?

• Like 1

Plant up heaps of cuzcoensis is all I can suggest, and hope they steal them instead.

'starting' to steal trichs? :scratchhead: I thought this had been fairly common for a while?

is that right? maybe ive been lucky.

Yeah I've definitely heard of/seen the aftermath of some trich stealing, usually seems to be only the typical looking pedro's that I know of though so I guess anything that doesn't look to similar or any super heavily spined cuts should keep them away. The heavily spined cuts even seem to keep me away from propagating/harvesting as its just all to much effort!

So it happend within the last 3 weeks since your last 30ft prune?

I'd chase the neighbours up specifically about where and who was working there, if they saw anything etc, any info on where you could pin point it within a workable timeframe. Even just get all the tradies numbers and call them reporting the issue, no accusations, firm succinct inquiries.

Tradies who steal will deny, and if the boss is an arsehole they will all defend each other violently, but an honest boss or worker is all you need to let the other pieces fall in place.

fucking pricks, don't realise the stress and constant shoulder looking they cause.

ihb2444, snu had a heavy fat spiny as terscheckiioid taken over a moth ago. no hard and fast rules, just arseholes and their variations.

Edited by gerbil

Yeah I saw that thread Gerbil, terrible turn of events.

Unfortunately you just can't deny some peoples need to take what isn't theirs.

That sucks man I'd be diggin em up and gettin em outta there ASAP

I'd say it's more likely some random rather than a worker

Someone's probly noticed the holes in the fence and seen it through there and thought it looks like an easy grab

It wouldn't surprise me if they came bak for more either I'd move em ASAP

Maybe leave a note near the plants asking not to be too greedy.

• Like 7

must be someone that had their eye on it, i've seen a few here in w.a. and they seem unmolested just nicely prunned

fucking bogans!

They ought to be shot..

EDIT - nah that's a bit harsh, but not much pisses me off more than a theif - especially of something sacred like these plants - it's not like a coke dealer getting robbed or something where the people sort of deserve each other..

Edited by nitrogen

I was over picking up the mail last Tuesday and they were still fine, then last weekend they had been violated. Strangely the sections taken were only from my recently pruned plants. The boys will be dug up and relocated tomorrow, I can't leave them there knowing someone can come back at any time to help themselves. I'll take some pics for reference.

Its been in the ground a few years and growing well. Currently in the boot of my car :o

Notice the withania behind.

IMG_0473.jpg

• Like 2

Hey mate I know you had some cacti stolen and probly aren't looking to sell anything

But if your having trouble with not enough room to relocate plants to

Hit me up mate I'd be happy to buy anything if you needed to get rid of a few to make some room

Or even look after some for ya and send them back at a later date when you have the room

I was shocked when a member I won't name went away for a while before and told me he had to resort to stashing loads of cacti in the bush because he had nowhere for it to go I would be more than happy to look after plants for people if they do not have the room for them or for watever reason

Although I'm quite far away from Perth I'm in a very small town i have plenty of room and its a safe location where you would never have to worry about your cacti going missing I can garauntee that

That go's for anyone else out there in w.a. I'm a very trustworthy person and would never dream of doing something like this to steal plants or anything but if anyone's ever in the situation just let me know

my girlfriend and I often travel between Perth and down south so pickups and things could be arranged at times

• Like 3

I can vouch for Myco... He is a very trustworthy person and an all round top bloke !

• Like 1

Cheers tipz :)

Thanks for the offer Myco, I am a bit squeezed for space its true, however my biggest problem is digging up a number of 2m tall multi armed bridges and how to transport the beasts.

I'm still in the process of relocating and the volume of cactus I have collected made me think I was getting overly upset. The dog is doing his duty looking after them at the moment, my parents volunteered some of their back yard which I may take them up on.

Edited by Mod! No discussion of ingestion please.

Edited by Evil Genius

I didn't realize it was u fenris, ur avatar is diff :P

For the big ones I always figure easier to just cut them up, callous and re-root. It'll take time to get to 2m again, but I rekon it'd be a damn sight easier.

It was prob the W.A. channel 7 news crew :P

• Like 1

Some people would say... property IS theft.

Can you rightfully own another living organism?

It happened to me once and I was pissed. (My response was to leave a note out for the returning thief with tips on propagation.) If it happened to me again I'd be pissed again. It happened to Snu and I'm pissed on his behalf. But at the same time, the above two thoughts keep coming back to me.

if i were you i would just sit there till they come back and have serious words with them. maybe you don't have the luxury of infinite spare time....read a book or something. and be hiding, of course. floodlights and fishing nets optional.

I just noticed 3 of my Pedros missing, about 7ft in total, I posted a trashed cactus thread of my own about 6mtha back, they took lophs and trampled the rest.. man I'm mega anxious right now and feel its time to save a new bond and move on out...

Sorry to high jack this thread but i think its time we brainstorm a way to keep out babies safe! Maybe there are teks used by other members to safegaurd collections besides the obvious barb wire and hounds

I just noticed 3 of my Pedros missing, about 7ft in total, I posted a trashed cactus thread of my own about 6mtha back, they took lophs and trampled the rest.. man I'm mega anxious right now and feel its time to save a new bond and move on out...

Sorry to high jack this thread but i think its time we brainstorm a way to keep out babies safe! Maybe there are teks used by other members to safegaurd collections besides the obvious barb wire and hounds

FFS !! Its just getting out of hand , Grrrrrrrr