The Corroboree
whitewind

Who Do You Work For?

Who Do You Work For? (multiple choice)  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been an adventurer until recently, no limits.

Three years ago I started to have a stable life. Now I'm on my way to have my next bachelor in education (prim. and second) in ultra record time. I am allowed to teach the following subjects: religion, science, history, math, Dutch, French, biology, arts, sports, music, English. Right now I'm doing a three year bachelor in one year.

Tuesday I have a job interview ... hopefully I'll have a stable contract and I can start in September.

• Like 3

I would not have said what I said to any other member, and so I apologise for the vulgarity.

I worked on a pig farm, in 40+ degree heat, from 7am till 7pm, everyday for 6 weeks, digging trenches - with a shovel. Whenever I get sick of any job I'm doing, I think back to those days - 'Thank F**K' I'm not on that pig farm anymore...'

Kids should be given the oppourtinuty(?) to do a good hard days work. For me, that 6 weeks of bleeding fingers, pulled tendons, sore back, sunburn and finally - the success of completing the job and not having to go back - really made me think about the direction I wanted my life to go... before that I had no idea. Even after that I had no idea, but I knew what i *didn't* want to do - which was helpful in narrowing down the options...

• Like 1

Additional: I drove a bobcat on the weekend!!! I had so much fun (and fear) - People who drive these machines for a living must love getting out of bed in the morning. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. More than 10 times thoughout the day I also thought "Where the hell was this thing when I was digging trenches!"

• Like 1

In Germany you have to join the army or do social service for a year after highschool. I love that system, yeah fuck the army, though if it's just a year and you don't participate in war it's nice to train some skills. The social service is the best though, you can be driving an ambulance or help people. That really gives you some good experience and makes you see things in perspective.

• Like 1

bobcats are a bit rough on one's kidneys but it is incredibly fun, driving a skidsteer vehicle and operating the hydraulics all in a continuous fluid motion.

not as rough as a shovel.

i know what you mean man, not that i ever had to shovel all day long but i can think back to quite a few lousy jobs and appreciate how good i have it now.

i like the term shit-kicker. i will always think of myself and nearly everyone i meet as a professional shit-kicker.

• Like 1

More than one week on a bobcat and u really feel it in ur stomach. Shakes shite outta u. Novelty wears off fast!

Reptile relocation/ stay at home dad.

• Like 1

that sounds rad whats the coolest reptile you have had to deal with?

@Stillman

Ive been relocating reptiles for about 18years, done it s/e & north QLD & NT.

Venomous snakes always give you a little rush when your catching them. The coolest snake Ive come across lately was a Stephen's Banded snake.

• Like 1

a mate of mine is out west at the moment he does surveys of wildlife etc some of the species they come across is amazing, I really would like to keep snakes and even some of the bigger oz tarantulas but my wife says no.

within 7 hours I have my job interview. Burn candles, incenses, praise Allah, pray to your gods or w/e it is you guys do, need some good vibes!

• Like 2

Good luck mun!!

• Like 1

My brother in law came to visit from the UK a few years back and he couldn't believe how much time Australians spend at work. he just couldn't figure out why, if I hated my job so much why am I always there?? Good question...

Social pressure i think. its quite sad. We are brainwashed in this country...

• Like 2

i cant function properly unless im working , got given 8 weeks off with pay this time last year and i almost went insane.

You must be one of the 1% of Australians that do something fulfilling in their job. Im the opposite. But you would be to if you worked in my industry :)

I employ a 69 year old guy (machinist) that retired two years ago and then got bored and so he came and worked for me. He has been with us for about twelve months.

I have a position advertised at the moment for another machinist and I just got off the phone from a seventy year old looking for work and he only retired a month ago and he is bored as well. Both are quite happy to work for a average wage they really don't care they just want to work again.

I will give the 70 year old some casual / part time work and see how it works out.

Cheers

Got

• Like 5

MY WORST JOB was probably 3 weeks at the box factory after I dropped out of high school.

Out comes the box, put it in the stack, out comes the box, put it in the stack. The boss skitzed-out and nearly killed me when I told him I was going to leave.

• Like 1

MY WORST JOB was probably 3 weeks at the box factory after I dropped out of high school.

Out comes the box, put it in the stack, out comes the box, put it in the stack. The boss skitzed-out and nearly killed me when I told him I was going to leave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II3Wt22rDE0

• Like 1

Yes a lot like that actually except they were styro boxes. I think the fumes were sending us all a bit mad too.

Yeah fumes suck - The sheds at the musrhoom farm I worked at were full of ammonia - purtid... Simliar job though, fill bag, stack bag, fill bag, stack bag, wheel trolley into massive gas chamber of toxic fumes... Ah the good old days...

@Got - 70 is better than 17 ;)

Social pressure i think. its quite sad. We are brainwashed in this country...

I think I was about 18, about to leave school, I was talking with my dad about my future and starting to wake up to the big wide world full of excitement and possibilities. anyway - he gave me the worst advice I have ever been given. he said everyone hates work. you just work to make enough money to do what you want in your spare time. bummer. the big wide world shrunk down to 5 days a week 7+hours a day. I have since met people who know how to live life. I'm learning slowly and will try to pass it on to my son.

• Like 4

Good luck Amanito! I have just had to reapply for my job, and I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

The stress is pretty intense.. make sure you take time to relax and enjoy yourself.

Watertrade, my dad gave me similar advice and it was really negative. But I was a bit stubborn and contrary so I tended to go against what he used to say, luckily it made me chase some of the more interesting jobs. Do what you do well and with passion, and you'll get job satisfaction at least, even if you don't agree / like what you are doing particularly. But if you get the chance, go for what you are interested in because you will achieve so much more, your passion and ability will be huge in comparison and you will feel really fulfilled. We spend most of our lives doing our work; the times when I can't get to do what I love are times where I feel my spirit start to fade away.

but the thing is, that advice is pretty accurate for most people, having a job you like is an exception to the rule and it is not feasible for everyone to obtain this.

i think it's pretty good advice, not only is it truthful about a life and a society that is extremely convoluted, but it can also be a motivation to find something better.

if only more people were given that advice.

• Like 1

Unless you are your own boss, or have a boss that is as cool as you are - working in a field you enjoy can take suck the enjoyment out of that field...