The Corroboree
whitewind

Who Do You Work For?

Who Do You Work For? (multiple choice)  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hah, definitely.

And in the rain snow and mud. Hole, fertilizer, tree, mulch, repeat.

Builds character or something :P

calvin_hobbes_shoveling.jpg

Edited by centipede
  • Like 1

Hah, definitely.

And in the rain snow and mud. Builds character or something :P

:) i like your new avatar mate

Regen is an awesome job! Rivals concreting for busting ones nuts!!

• Like 2

Did concreting for six years. Three years of it was living in a swag on the side of the road. Gave me great incentive to go back to school. Took 7 years but now I have a degree and a sweet job. Was well worth all that shoveling in bush. Character building, or so they tell me.

my two cents is for anyone who tells themselves I'm a home maker /accountant / teacher / cook / cleaner / counsellor and so on when talking about being a parent or a guardian. Get over yourself you're a parent you chose this and if you didn't or you're sick of it dump the kids at your local hospital sign them over to the state and get over yourself .

I personally don't understand why gay people want children, if you want kids root someone from the opposite sex it's like araldite glue you need both part A and part B to make it work.

Please provide figures, and source, that refute the statement that a vast majority of homosexuals don't have young children, then do same for singles & elderly.

I'm going to opine that you cannot, and that your post is merely nitpicking in order to curry favour with the abusers on this thread.

EDI: Sorry, to anwser you, yes, most of my statements are truths, not just in opinion, but logical, universal fact....

You opined correctly, the vast majority of homosexuals, singles & elderly don't have young children. I wouldn't try to refute that.

I was just pointing out your generalization, I thought this oversight left a big hole in your argument that I couldn't resist poking. I did this because you are annoying me and I wanted to draw attention to it. I don't have time to argue why you are wrong. Or rather, provide support for the current family support system. I also wouldn't want to invite any more opportunity for you to share with us all your own world view.

Re: you speaking truth, most of your statements selectively use facts in some form. However, you use them to support your own opinions, which still remain your opinions.

• Like 4

Please provide figures, and source, that refute the statement that a vast majority of homosexuals don't have young children, then do same for singles & elderly.

I'm going to opine that you cannot, and that your post is merely nitpicking in order to curry favour with the abusers on this thread.

EDI: Sorry, to anwser you, yes, most of my statements are truths, not just in opinion, but logical, universal fact. Despite the abuse & aggression from Stillman, Myco, Jono & Whitey, I'm comfortable knowing that Im providing a valuable service to aid their advancement as independent thinkers free from the shackles of groupthink. I dont expect them to learn in a day, so their responses are to be expected. For this reason I ask that you show leniency when reviewing them for moderation & discipline.

thankyou for aiding my advancement all mighty psylo

maybe one day i can grow old and be just like you

your a joke mate

• Like 3

I personally don't understand why gay people want children, if you want kids root someone from the opposite sex it's like araldite glue you need both part A and part B to make it work.

The desire to have children and a persons sexuality are two different things. Of course, making kids 'work' takes a contribution from a man and a women.

• Like 1

Hey, guys, Guys, GUYS!

Why don't you take it to 'THE FLAME PIT'!

Sheesh!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

I didn't know whether to vote for home-maker or out of work as I'm one of those low life scums that just sit around all day making the babies that psylo hates so passionately.

As for for what field do you work study in

Education / Science - I taught all my kids to read before they could talk (starting at about 8 months of age) they also have excellent numeracy skills and were beating adults at chess by age five

IT - Who doesn't study IT in some form these days

Agriculture / Horticulture - I've read more than many about horticulture and I have hands on experience every day

Health / Care - I'm responsible for the health and well being of my family

Legal - I do tend to avoid such matters

Arts / Entertainment - back to the kids, that's a constant task

Engineering / Building / Mining - I have to maintain all the cheap shit I own and build

Busniess / Financial - I balance very tight budget to ensure everyone gets fed

Police / Security Services - I'm midway through a dispute with a local gang of knife weilding homies

Other - see Amizonians post

Sorry I'm a bit paranoid

You come on here and try to preach that you are the enlightened one Psylo and anyone that doesn't see your way is a lesser being - that's your prerogative.

In the midst of your arrogance you can't even comprehend that there may be extenuating circumstances that have delivered people to where they are in life and choose to group all and sundry in your convenient little pigeon holes.

That's fine too I was like that until karma threw a few twists my way.

I've read more about enlightenment than the average bloke (which certainly doesn't qualify me as enlightened) but nowhere in any of the works of the so called enlightened ones have I ever read anything about hating children. I've never seen any enlightened ones preach hate either, they all use love as a common bond - not derisiveness and arrogance.

I've made a pigeon hole for you based on over a year of observation.

You are an angry man with no love in your heart, you come here to get the attention that is so desperately lacking in your personal life and you get that attention by using crass derisive language designed to cause contention.

You are always right and you will die being right, that's for sure.

I can be and often am wrong, but I will die surrounded by my children who love me and tell me many times every day.

• Like 13

/

Edited by whitewind

a>

This snippet of cartoon holds more wisdom than most posts made in this thread...

Yes, irresponsible people should not have children.. But it happens regardless... Not only in this country but in most all over the world..You can whinge, bitch and moan at the breeders, but guess what? your whinging, bitching and moaning will do nothing... idiots will still spawn.. no one in a free world can stop this..

there are certain people who are forgetting a fundamental reality.... CHILDREN ARE INNOCENT!!

Read the words and let them sink in for a bit... even have a little think further... again just in case it was overlooked

CHILDREN ARE INNOCENT!!!

Its is not the childs fault that the parent/s are too immature to make the informed and prepared decision to create and raise a child..

again,,,

CHILDREN ARE INNOCENT!!

I whole heartedly agree that there are people who take advantage of the system that has been set up to help the legitimately needy, and, that this should not happen...

But a blanket statement of "we shouldnt help people that have babies" or words to the same effect is utter ignorance..

Children have no say whether they want to be brought into the world or not.. Does this not come into some peoples thinking?

CHILDREN ARE INNOCENT!!

instead of all this bullshit banter, lets all try and kick the ol peanut around and come up with some theoretical solutions...

now... Cutting support means taking food out of childrens mouths.. yes, even the same mouths that parents will take food from for their own selfish needs.. (junky, gambler, alco)

what about support in a way that is closer to foodstamps? eg, the mother of a newborn is entitled to x amount of tins of baby formula a month. not cash money, but regulated in a way to ensure the benefits go towards the raising of the child, and not up the arm or down the slots..

Anyone with half a brain can pick holes in almost any hypothesis.. lets not do that kiddies... For instance, the beforementioned idea, dont pick holes in it... IMPROVE IT!

And for the re-railment,

I am a farmer, and agricultural consultant helping to improve the lives of poorer farmers in Viet Nam.

• Like 3

"I myself am a savage, owing no allegiance but to the King of the Cannibals , and ready at any moment to rebel against him."

• Like 1

Get over yourself you're a parent you chose this and if you didn't or you're sick of it dump the kids at your local hospital sign them over to the state and get over yourself .

See, the funny thing about being a parent is that everyone warns you how big of a job it is, but it's not until you are there...you realize...heck...it is a big job !!!

So yeah, i am patting myself, and the other 'home makers' on the back , because we are awesome.... :)

At least one of our parents/guardians were/are probably mostly 'home makers'?

When i head back out into the workforce, i am hoping to work at the Zoo, or like at a gardening nursery...something enjoyable(mostly) anyway. :)

:)

• Like 3

AMz I think you would be an awesome zoo worker!!! Working at a zoo would be pretty cool. Especially dubbo zoo, I'm always quietly envious of the workers there whenever I go.

Have u looked into any training yet that would give u a headstart when it comes to interview time??

I reckon u would slay it in a nursery as well.

Actually I think u would make a go of whatever.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 4

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the OP:

I'm self employed, and I run a little bookshop that is budding out into publishing and other sort of things. (We've just published our first magazine this week!) I work in the shop 2-3 days a week, and my wife also works 2-3 days in the shop. The other days are filled by casual staff. The days that I'm not working in the shop I'm with my kids, running them around to school and art class and to playgrounds and bushwalks and the grocery store and helping with homework and cooking and so on. I love this part of my life. I used to work 7am-6pm, 5 days a week, making pretty good money, doing a pretty banal job in a university. But I missed my eldest son's infancy. And this sucked sooo bad.

When we had our second son, I didn't want this to happen again, and we had the good fortune to be able to make the leap to take over the bookshop where we make pretty lousy money but we both get to spend time with the kiddies. It's the perfect arrangement. We both work a little (but not too much), and we both parent a little (but not too much). We're very lucky.

Full time work, when it isn't something that fills your soul and heart, sucks big time. Hope I never have to do that again.

• Like 5

Please do not comment on psylo any further. An explanation of why will be rendered shortly.

seth - you're absolutely right. my position however is that of what should be default. ie it should not be default to throw money at irresponsible parents. As with any irresponsible decision there needs to be consequences and while these consequences should not negatively affect the children, they should also not simply be removed for the parent.

Currently the default is to throw money at population growth for the sake of growth. The whole idea that more kids equals better pension when we get older is unsustainable and doesn't work - just look at much of africa. We need to take responsibility for ourselves, not borrow from the future.

nothing of what i have said should ever hurt a child! I believe in quality not quantity. I think if we put more resources into fewer children then we would be a much better society. Maybe child support should be like HECS, or maybe money earmarked for kids should really be directed at kids. At the moment there is no such default and hence the irresponsible parent gets rewarded. Your food stamp idea is one such option, although I have the feeling this was shown to not work well. For older kids healthy & yummy school breakfast and lunch might be a better option as it introduces healthy principles that will benefit the child and society in the long run. I think there are lots of options and I don't think we've really put any effort into exploring any of them.

• Like 5

AMz I think you would be an awesome zoo worker!!! Working at a zoo would be pretty cool. Especially dubbo zoo, I'm always quietly envious of the workers there whenever I go.

Have u looked into any training yet that would give u a headstart when it comes to interview time??

I reckon u would slay it in a nursery as well.

Actually I think u would make a go of whatever.

Thanks for the vote of confidence incognito :). Yeah, i am looking into what is required for working at the Zoo. The main thing that concerns me is that the Zoo is like an hour each way by car.. depending on traffic. But yeah... I will come here one day to announce that i finally have my dream job.. I am sure of it.

:)

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the OP:

I'm self employed, and I run a little bookshop that is budding out into publishing and other sort of things. (We've just published our first magazine this week!) I work in the shop 2-3 days a week, and my wife also works 2-3 days in the shop. The other days are filled by casual staff. The days that I'm not working in the shop I'm with my kids, running them around to school and art class and to playgrounds and bushwalks and the grocery store and helping with homework and cooking and so on. I love this part of my life. I used to work 7am-6pm, 5 days a week, making pretty good money, doing a pretty banal job in a university. But I missed my eldest son's infancy. And this sucked sooo bad.

When we had our second son, I didn't want this to happen again, and we had the good fortune to be able to make the leap to take over the bookshop where we make pretty lousy money but we both get to spend time with the kiddies. It's the perfect arrangement. We both work a little (but not too much), and we both parent a little (but not too much). We're very lucky.

Full time work, when it isn't something that fills your soul and heart, sucks big time. Hope I never have to do that again.

Really want to open a second hand book store one day, maybe with a small nursery combined somehow.. :)

How long have you been running your store?

Did you inherit the business or start it from scratch? Interested in how feasibile it is for someone to do. I have talked to a few of the local bookstore owneres about it.

Alot of the places have a shopfront and then an upstairs house type area, I guess if I rented or bought a place like that it would be a good start.

If you would rather not discuss things like that in the open send me a PM

• Like 1

Alright heres the Thing. We are extremely unhappy about the tone and the general vibe of this discussion and are not willing to accept it. It is not alright to throw all good manners from board as soon as another member starts verbally attacking others and we decided its time to take things more seriously from now on. In this Thread alone, there were so many rule breaks that we decided to hand out warn points for every single one of them. And we were watching very closely because we want it to be fair. We only moderated the actual rule breaking posts and will not warn people who discussed passionately or who just chose their words wise enough not to overstep the line. I will now post a list with people who will get a warning point for their behaviour in this Thread, encluding the actual reason and the post number. I truly think that some people here should be ashamed about how respectless they´ve been treating other fellow members and we are not willing to accept it anymore. Enough talking, here are the people who will be warned and why. The posts in question are not there anymore and we havent decided which ones we will bring back and which ones not. People in question know very well what they wrote and all warn points are justified.

1. Myco - Reason Racist Comments in Post 33, 39 and 60. Comments about fuckheads in the third world and anything similar racist crap will not be tolerated here. Actually, you should get more than one and next time i see posts like this, we will have a problem. A bad One!

2. Stillman - Reason Vulgar and respectless Comments in Post 62 and 70. Both posts were designed to insult and offend, neither of which is appreciated here.

3. Incognito - Reason Insulting Comments in Post 119. Especially the part where you told others to get fucked. That type of talking wont be tolerated here anymore either.

Thats it for now. Like i said, this is not negotiable and we will continue to go a hard line when its about post destroying and verbal attacks on other members. This always was a pleasant and friendly place and thats how we´ll keep it. bye Eg

• Like 4

No problem. I went to delete but you already obviously have.

I duly apologise. I was frustrated but no excuse for being sucked in.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

Wow...just for something different I suppose. I only just sifted through all that crap. The funny thing is, I refer to you guys as my brothers & sisters, so can someone please tell me, "Where is the love..?".

They're just opinions. If they get you that worked up, then you're the one with the problem.

Peace & love to all.

Oh & what do I do for work? Who cares...

• Like 1

i'll take the warn point i guess i have no choice in the matter

my wording may have been pretty bad

but just so everyone knows my comment was not at all intended to be racist

seriously

actually i dont really think i do deserve the point if its due to racism cos that was definately not wat i was getting at

if its for the use of the word fuckhead then ok

but racism was definately not wat i was getting at

^^ I thought harbour traffic controller was pretty cool

I love my job. Just slightly underpaid in my opinion.

Studied for maritime officer, but didn't finish my last year due to a serious accident. Still it helped to land me this job.

Might go into landscaping in approx a year. My uncle asked me to become a manager/owner at his company so he can slowly retire. This means,... much more $$,... but less free time and allot more responsibility. I have a year to make the choice. It's a hard choice for me.

Funny,... my father instilled in me the sea (Tugboat captain),... and my mother the land (She is an avid Orchid collector and does sales every Fri & Sat.)

All that bothered me was that we went off topic..... I like hearing about people's backgrounds. Also wonder how you guys & girls look like. Specially the cute trippy hippy woman!!! purrrrr hahahaha.....

Good Job EG!

• Like 3