The Corroboree
Jox

Miracle fruit??

A fruit that makes sour taste sweet! I want to know if theirs anyone that can help? When i was young my neighbour had a little shrub growing in a pot that got little red berries when it fruited, after you ate one you could eat a lemon & it taste as sweet as sugar, he called it a miracle fruit tree (of coarse). When i was about 13 i found one at a nursery on the sunshine coast, but its now long gone. Can anyone help me with the real name of this plant or even better know were they can be obtained? Cheers jox

also the crude pills. Crazy stuff. Tomato after lemon is unique.

Hey psylo if you got some seed spare would you want to do a trade or something? Been wanting to grow it for ages now!

Hi psylo if you have any spare seeds I'd love to purchase a few, please let me know. Also crude pills tomato after lemon?? please explain.

Thanks jox

oops, sorry guys, i was mentally scattered last night. I have mistaken my seedstocks with Goji berry.

The crude 'pills' made from Synsepalum dulcificum when chewed, make lemons taste like sweet lemonade sherbert, and tomato after that is, well, weird & interesting. I can see why they say "have a flavour tripping party" with the product, it really defies your ingrained expectations.

for a while some people had aswell hopes that, the miracle berry, would also be helpfull, turning bitter ethno concotions, into palatable drinks...

but it din't work.

now, goji berries, "rock", always feels good to eat a few of them.

Thanks for those answers I'll have to get one from the SAB store in a couple of weeks. The only problem now is Psylo & Planthelper have got me reading about goji berrys! It never ends, I love this place.

E-Bay is where I got mine. No brand name on the box, but they are from the Sen Yuh Farm Science Co.

EDIT: This was in response to eatfoo.

Edited by Psylo Dread
  • Like 1

I'll have to try these one day. I have a naturally high "tolerance" (for lack of a better term) to sour and bitter foods. I used to win bets in primary school that involved not moving my face while sucking on sour warheads, etc. My kids have the same trait. Their favourite fruit is lemon and they just sit there sucking on them like they are mangos. Freaks out my in-laws. :P

• Like 1

I have three miracle fruit pills (sealed in blister pack) leftover from our experiments. PM me yer address & see if it's as good as you remember. :)

Edited by Belching

seeds are EASY to grow, but slow. clean fruit place seed sin sphagnum moss (moist) until germination. 3+ years til fruit.

I used to win bets in primary school that involved not moving my face while sucking on sour warheads, etc.

baaaaaaha classic. i can't believe they still make those. I remember when i first had one, and just thought it stayed sour forever. i was just like 'why would anyone make such a horrible thing??" anyway bit off topic

anyone have any hints for me? my synsepalum dulcificum plant remains as small as when i got it almost a year ago. is it not happy in a pot? i don't have anywhere i can plant it right now. im thinking greenhouse and give it a larger pot. it gets plenty of water and fertiliser (but not too much). so what is it's problem?? i want my flavour tripping party consarnit.

anyone have any hints for me? my synsepalum dulcificum plant remains as small as when i got it almost a year ago. is it not happy in a pot? i don't have anywhere i can plant it right now. im thinking greenhouse and give it a larger pot. it gets plenty of water and fertiliser (but not too much). so what is it's problem?? i want my flavour tripping party consarnit.

I've had no personal experience with them but wiki states that they grow in very acidic soil PH 4.5 - 5.8, maybe if you acidify your water with a bit of cider vinegar or re-pot into a different potting mix.

You probably won't see much change in them until spring unless you have them in a greenhouse though.

Maybe if you treat them like blueberries you might see some improvement, blueberries do the same thing in the wrong PH and there is a lot of info to be found on their cultivation on the web.