The Corroboree
nabraxas

Venus to appear in once-in-a-lifetime event

On 5 and 6 June this year, millions of people around the world will be able to see Venus pass across the face of the Sun in what will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

It will take Venus about six hours to complete its transit, appearing as a small black dot on the Sun's surface, in an event that will not happen again until 2117.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-04/iop-vta043012.php

crazee times for us Taurenes ruled by Venus....

Venus entered its own sign of Taurus, the Bull, on March 28, 2012 and will remain there until July 31, 2012. During this time it will transition from Evening star to Morning star completing its fifth and final synodic cycle of its 8 year pentagonal dance. Taurus is a powerful sign for Venus as its earthy energy is able to manifest Venus' creative impulse on the physical plane. Venus in Taurus brings comfort and ease to life. But this Venus in Taurus must also go through the shamanic process of shifting from Evening Star to Morning Star. During its transit in Taurus there may be upsets in the status quo especially when Venus conjoins Ketu on April 9, 2012 and later becomes involved in a lunar eclipse on June 4, 2012 followed by its spectacular Venus Transit between June 5-6, 2012. Venus IS the planet to watch for the most significant astronomical and astrological events of 2012.

http://starworlds.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/venus-enters-taurus-march-28.html

if you pay any credence to those sort ov things...

• Like 1

venus is also in retrograde this year at this time, maximum star-power!

The transit of Venus - many people have lived their whole life and not seen it.

The Supermoon this weekend.

I could go on & on

Interesting times for sure.

Note to self, got to get a sun filter and camera lens for my scope!!

venus is also in retrograde this year at this time, maximum star-power!

cue for a song:

Cool. Full transit can be viewed in Australia as well:

Map2012Venus%20Transit.gif

This combined with the full eclipse in November makes it a good year to keep your eyes on the sky.

yep... need new lenses for my telescope~!

The Supermoon

what is? and is it this coming weekend or this weekend just past?

also does anyone know of a website that alerts us, in the southern hemisphere, to such interesting astronomical phenomena? like meteor showers and stuff. i always hear about them on the news the next day :ana:

what is? and is it this coming weekend or this weekend just past?

also does anyone know of a website that alerts us, in the southern hemisphere, to such interesting astronomical phenomena? like meteor showers and stuff. i always hear about them on the news the next day :ana:

This one is pretty good: http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-2012.html

p.s. Looks like there is a partial lunar eclipse on June 4 as well.

definately worth having a look oneselfe!

image depicted shows, the sun projected thru binoculars, one faintly can see some sun spots aswell.post-70-0-06587800-1338944506_thumb.jpg

venus transit.JPG

venus transit.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for that Planthelper at least I get to see a picture of it, there's so much cloud cover here that I don't even think I'll see the sun today let alone venus.

I saw it! I chucked on the welding mask and could see it quite clearly even without any magnification.

Pretty cool!

I used my welding mask ( auto black out on one and as you expect it didn't work.) I then set up a pin hole camera, which was too small. I'm now using a shovel solar projector. and its awesome. I will post video tonight.

shovel solar projector = shovel with tiny mirror stuck on the top projecting light into dark shed.

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 1

cloudy now aswell at my place, i still see venus once in a while, but it's a windy day on top, of all the comotion...post-70-0-40566200-1338954164_thumb.jpg

here a shot of my equipment!

equipment_venus_transit # 2.JPG

equipment_venus_transit # 2.JPG

here is a shot that a friend of mine took today through a welding mask also.... post-9715-0-28734800-1338962575_thumb.jp

post-9715-0-28734800-1338962575_thumb.jpg

post-9715-0-28734800-1338962575_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

cool that you guys saw it too. I was at work when I saw it.

used 2x tinted windows, sunglasses and binoculars. it worked well since the sun was setting.