The Corroboree
bit

Lophocereus Schotti Monstrose

Hey guys

Does anyone have any growing tips for this cactus? Can it tolerate the same conditions as Trichs?

If anyone in Auckland is interested, CC have a few for between $20 and $30 in their retail shop.

Cheers

I have no experience with this one sorry, but can you show us a picture of your new friend? :)

I cant really give growing tips cos Ive had one for 3 or 4 years and its grown a few inches max. It can handle -3/4 and summer are always 40+. These temp ranges may have something to do with its lack of growth but I have seen one about 100kms from mine that is in a greenhouse and is 6ft or more. Tho I assume that is very old.

Thats about all Ive got sorry

Hi bit, they grow extremely slow. The monstrose version as well as the regular one. I've seen 25 yo plants that only had the lenght of an arm.

Wow EG I knew they grew slow but not that slow! I saw one in Christchurch at Castle Rock (check it out locals) in the guys personal greenhouse that was taller than me.. I knew there was a reason I fell in love with it, apart from it's alien-like smooth, funky surface.

Edited by chilli

L schottii monstrose ssp spirialis schottispiralisdsc0001.jpg

• Like 1

There is a nice little l.schotti for sale on ebay at the moment.

Like EG said, very slow growing.

I don't think they are as hardy as Trichos by a long shot. A CSSNZ member sells semi-monstrose pachanoi as a more hardy "Totem Pole".

Anyone gotta grafted specimen?

Edited by centipede

Yeah very interested to know how these would go if they were grafted onto a trich.

Also, how do they pup, as there appear to be no areoles?

The one on ebay looks kind of brown at the top.. sunburn? Overwatering?

Yeah very interested to know how these would go if they were grafted onto a trich.

Also, how do they pup, as there appear to be no areoles?

The one on ebay looks kind of brown at the top.. sunburn? Overwatering?

branches/pups from the base, areoles do exist but are very sparse and flowers and seeds rare.

ebay id is a trustworthy seller i have personally purchased many freaks from them.

fwiw- I've 16 seeds but have no idea on their age or viability

I have found this one very strange in it's growth habits, I can't for the life of me work out what makes this plant tick. It stalls growth regularly and for reasons unknown to me will start growing again at what appears to be completely random times. The best growth I've got from this plant in a year (not a season because it will often grow in winter rather than summer) is approx 40cm.

To answer Bit's question the plant is hardy and will tolerate a fair bit of climatic stress including rain for two consecutive weeks in winter and a good dry spell in summer. I can't comment on cold tolerance because it rarely gets to 0deg here in winter.

Nice plant zelly :)

i find them hardier than trichs when it comes to water. by trichs i mean the main ones people around this forum grow, not all trichocereus/echinopsis.

like helonasty said, pretty hardy, but i too never had them below 11C so cant say much on cold. They grow lsow, but grafted plants grow far faster. I have some grafted on various stocks, they do well. they do have areoles, rarely spines, so they do offset from these areoles. here are some old pics of my plants.

teh white spots are areoles. Actually sometimes there is still all the tissue needed to make offsets, without any areole poking the surface, although not super common, it does happen a fair bit that a cactus will bust a stem without any areole.

totem.jpg

totem1.jpg

totem2.jpg

Wow great plant Kada, thanks for the photo.