The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Loph hooters!

• Like 2

Made the casual observation my lophs are starting the flowering season a wee bit early.....here's some that popped a few days ago. crappy pic but you get the idea...

post-3765-0-61675600-1360819675_thumb.jp

mailed a pup from this to a lucky mate in Oz...... (tracking confirms they received it)

post-3765-0-13977800-1360819721_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-61675600-1360819675_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-13977800-1360819721_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-61675600-1360819675_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-13977800-1360819721_thumb.jpg

Edited by zelly
  • Like 14

Lucky mate indeed! I've been searching high and low for one of those fellas. I was beginning to think they were a myth. I have only seen photos of four specimens, 1. The cactus-art.biz nursery in Italy, 2. a flickr photo of one growing at a botanical garden in Prague, 3. a pic of one growing in the back of bit's greenhouse, 4. and now this one. Curiously, comparing photos 1, 2 and 4 it looks like they may each represent different specimens/clones.

Well I guess it is at least nice to know that they are out there. Maybe some day I'll find one here in the US.

Edited by Kykeion

Hi zelly why did you cut so much off? Won't all the new pups actually increase the size of the plant?

The plant was severely (thickly) overgrown, with new stems trying to grow & squeeze in between existing stems, plus in front it was encroaching on the brick work of the flower bed, threatening to break it.

My goal is to eliminate the long, arching, leaning stems & promote new, vertically upward stems. Plus, the back of the plant was growing under the eaves of the roof & had to come down.

But yeah, I'm hoping the new pups will increase the overall size of the plant, as long as they go vertical and not off at a 60-70 degree angle or whatever. :)

• Like 2

Finally, dug out tree stump #4 of 4. The relatively more fun part of digging out straggler roots, and homogenizing the topsoil with compost and pumice - and then making a retaining wall of rocks, and then planting the cacti - is yet to come :D

• Like 1

zelly, how old is that plant, 20+ yeras? its a pc?

slice- yes, the plant is pc and it's 50+ yrs old. The main trunk/roots are massive, & the only water the plant gets is from rainwater.

• Like 1

more grafts

also put pereskie tips in a glass of water for a potential hydro experiment

meditated and got in tune with my plants before this... gave major thanks to my pereskies

and stared at my other grafts doing well, but then again i do that pretty much daily lol

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 1

Today I inched closer to my dream goal of having a super-awesome garden bed of cacti and other awesome plants. :D

In the morning today
gallery_7332_400_134106.jpg

(note the enemy shed that I'd like to re-locate/destroy, as it gets a lot of good sun, and it can be moved somewhere and I can put my glasshouse there instead
Also to note - the blackening on the stumps was from when I dug under the stump and used it like a furnace to burn the leaves and wood - until the fire ban kicked in )

Today evening

gallery_7332_400_66722.jpg

gallery_7332_400_377482.jpg

(Note the gum trees in the background right, and the remnant Macadamias on the left)

So the plan is to dig in compost and pumice as soon as they arrive, and make that bed rather homogenous in terms of soil and drainage. Soak everything thoroughly to let it settle a bit. And then in due time - plant it out with cacti (in a sort of a ring shape, and then plant hardy-leafies in the middle of the ring. Then dress with rocks, and try and make it look cool. :)

Hopefully this will made it cool to sit inside the middle of the ring, or at least it will protect the leafies from marauding sheep, and perhaps the cacti will eventually lock me out too.

Edited by CβL
  • Like 7

Today I inched closer to my dream goal of having a super-awesome garden bed of cacti and other awesome plants. :D

In the morning today

gallery_7332_400_134106.jpg

(note the enemy shed that I'd like to re-locate/destroy, as it gets a lot of good sun, and it can be moved somewhere and I can put my glasshouse there instead

Also to note - the blackening on the stumps was from when I dug under the stump and used it like a furnace to burn the leaves and wood - until the fire ban kicked in )

Today evening

gallery_7332_400_66722.jpg

gallery_7332_400_377482.jpg

(Note the gum trees in the background right, and the remnant Macadamias on the left)

So the plan is to dig in compost and pumice as soon as they arrive, and make that bed rather homogenous in terms of soil and drainage. Soak everything thoroughly to let it settle a bit. And then in due time - plant it out with cacti (in a sort of a ring shape, and then plant hardy-leafies in the middle of the ring. Then dress with rocks, and try and make it look cool. :)

Hopefully this will made it cool to sit inside the middle of the ring, or at least it will protect the leafies from marauding sheep, and perhaps the cacti will eventually lock me out too.

Very nice looking spot mate.

• Like 1

Today i added a cactus to my collection that i suspected i wouldn't obtain until i was a little old lady :rolleyes:

Aztekium ritteri

post-8023-0-01328600-1361424277_thumb.jp

253181882.jpg

253181882.jpg

• Like 6

I just counted the seeds from this seed pod. Exactly 80 seeds! I have never seen anything like it!

Zelly - you know loph seeds ;) have you ever seen anything like that?

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 1

wt- nope, never have.

I'm with EG, do you have a better pic (higher resolution)? Do you recall anything about pollinating the flower? Was it a solitary flower? Were there any arios flowering around the same time? Eighty seeds is impressive in itself.

I didn't realise the whole time I have been posting small preview pics like the link above.

here we are... the plant is looking pretty sorry for itself. it was hand pollinated in the usual way with a paint brush - from one plant to the next - there are some Ariocarpus in the area but I don't think they were flowering at the same time and there was nothing else unusual about the flower that I noticed.

i wish i had taken pics of the dried seed pod it didn't shrink down at all and as you would expect - jam packed with seeds.

20130213_082128_zps327c611a.jpg

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 4

This PC pach is displaying some weird yellow spots,

I have no reason to think its from frost or any form of damage as the cactus looks super healthy, so im thinking maybe its a genetic things.

What do you guys think?

2013-02-22110144.jpg

2013-02-22110152.jpg

2013-02-22110206.jpg

• Like 1

I am curious to know too.

I have had the same thing happen to a few of my pachs

It may be root rot however when this happened to mine a while ago and it was from too much sun. The excess sun caused bleaching I guess.

Is it soft? If not I wouldn't worry much.

Edited by modernshaman

Dreamtime, this can have various reasons. Nutrient defiency, mealy bugs, spidermites, virus. Did it look like this from the beginning? If yes, it might be Virus or Genetic. If no, rule out the things mentioned before. If it doesnt go away after repotting/fertilising/pesticide treatment, the plant might carry the Tobacco Mosaic Virus.

Watertrade, i think you really got a conjoined seedpod but my eyes are actually too bad to say for sure. So sad i am not seeing this thing in nature.

This PC pach is displaying some weird yellow spots,

I have no reason to think its from frost or any form of damage as the cactus looks super healthy, so im thinking maybe its a genetic things.

What do you guys think?

2013-02-22110144.jpg

2013-02-22110152.jpg

2013-02-22110206.jpg

put it on EBAY as a variegate :devil:

WT that is one awesome looking loph. Is the monstrose tendencies due to insect damage or disease ?

Edited by tipz