The Corroboree
kyzokitten

Online Spiritual Emergency Questionnaire

Hi everyone,

My name is Kylie and I work at Phoenix Institute of Australia.

We are currently conducting research into spiritual emergencies and associated personality variables.

Participation in this research is via an online questionnaire:

http://www.phoenixinstitute.com.au/Onlinetest12.html

Purpose and Background:

A Spiritual Emergency (SE) may be defined as a process of spiritual emergence or awakening that becomes overwhelming, traumatic or difficult for an individual to integrate into their existing psychological framework. Evidence suggests that SEs are very closely related to psychosis and various other forms of psychopathology. Research has attempted to draw distinctions between SEs and psychosis but this is not yet clear. To date, no research exists which examines personality factors that may be associated with SEs. The current research will aim to examine the relationship between SEs and psychosis as well as various personality variables.

Participation is open to anyone. You do not need to have had a Spiritual Emergency experience.

The questionnaire takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. All responses are confidential and anonymous.

For further information please contact: [email protected]

The principal researcher for this project is Dr Adam Rock, who is a Founding International Board Member of the International Transpersonal Association, President of the Australian Institute of Parapsychological Research, a Special Topics Editor and Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Transpersonal Studies, an Associate Editor of Anthropology of Consciousness, and an Editorial Board member of the Australian Journal of Parapsychology. Dr. Rock is also the current editor of the Psychotherapy and Counselling Journal of Australia, which is the official PACFA e-Journal. He has published dozens of scholarly articles in prestigious academic journals such as the Journal of Scientific Exploration, Transpersonal Psychology Review, and the Journal of Parapsychology. He has been awarded over $200,000 in research grants. His various books are titled Constructivism and shamanic experiences, Shamanism and psi (with Dr. Lance Storm), and Demystifying shamans and their world (with Professor Stanley Krippner). In addition, he has presented or co-presented over 30 papers or posters at national and international conferences. His research interests include shamanism, altered states, mediumship and psi.

This is fantastic!

I've been thinking there needs to be something like this!

:lol:

That took a solid Hour! :BANGHEAD2:

Will there be any fwd: saying I'm mental now? :P

lol quite possibly, but i think we are just the right sort of mental

This is fantastic!

I've been thinking there needs to be something like this!

:lol:

Excellent! Thanks for your support :)

That took a solid Hour! :BANGHEAD2:

Will there be any fwd: saying I'm mental now? :P

Sorry it took longer than you were expecting :(

Thanks for your support though :)

I am doing it now, this is a nice distraction from chores.

All the best with ALL your research, and please keep us updated!

maybe i'm missing the point but i thought some of the questions were a bit too vague to be very meaningful...

like the ufo one: Have you ever seen something that you believed to be an Unidentified Flying Object (UFO)?

i had to put no. even though i have seen hundreds of UFO's in my life.. i do not believe they were UFO's, i definitely didn't think they were from another planet.. they were flying objects that i could not identify so of course they were UFO's weren't they?

also: Have you ever made contact with someone whom you believed to be an extraterrestrial being?

i have had experiences that have seemed extremely real of meeting beings that seemed like aliens but i didn't beleive they were extraterrestrials.. i didn't form any belief about the experience one way or the other.. so again i had to say no. but doesn't that totally discount the validity of this experience in terms of this study? my point being that.. isn't this kind of experience relevant for this kind of study?

another one is: Have you ever felt that you were in the centre of huge events that had cosmic relevance and were important for the future of the world?

i had to say yes because although it's questionable whether it has cosmic relevance i eat packaged foods, i burn fossil fuels, my shit gets pumped into the ocean every day & as a member of the human race in a first world country on this over-populated planet at this time in history i feel i definitely am at the centre of huge events that are important for the future of the world... however in regard to this study i can see how answering yes. could be interpreted as having delusions of grandure &/or being a paranoid schizophrenic or something..

i definitely think studies like this are worthwhile but i would feel more comfortable doing it if it were designed in a way that took certain subtleties into account a little more.. there may some subtext to the design of the questionaire that i'm not aware of & these things may be totally deliberate, i'm not sure but i thought i would just offer some (hopefully) constructive critisism :)

Edited by paradox

Would be nice if it spat out a "percentage crazy" after a solid chunk of an hour was spent. ;P

another one is: Have you ever felt that you were in the centre of huge events that had cosmic relevance and were important for the future of the world?

i had to say yes because although it's questionable whether it has cosmic relevance i eat packaged foods, i burn fossil fuels, my shit gets pumped into the ocean every day & as a member of the human race in a first world country on this over-populated planet at this time in history i feel i definitely am at the centre of huge events that are important for the future of the world... however in regard to this study i can see how answering yes. could be interpreted as having delusions of grandure &/or being a paranoid schizophrenic or something..

You got me thinking...if you were put at any point in time, you could come up with umpteen reasons why you would have to say yes to that question. Like WW2 for example...then the cold war. I suppose all that's really relevant in life is "the moment". When your no longer living "your moment" is when you no longer exist. We are always at the centre of huge events that impact the future of the world. Well I am :P

would a dmt trip be classified as a spiritual awakening ?

i would say dmt is a tool for spiritual awakening.

No doubting it being a spiritual experience though (imo)

I wonder if Dr Adam Rock has any first hand experience ? B)

Will you be forwarding all results to ASIO? :crux:

:P

I think that if you interpret it as spiritual, then it was spiritual. \

That questionnaire was fun, it really made me think about myself and my experiences. Please, keep up the research and let us know if we can do more to help!

lol meeka , that made me laugh. :lol:

sincerely i reckon we should give kylie a dmt experience.

the studies be complete in no time.

Edited by 7baz

I personally think it is atrocious that parapsychological rubbish like this can attract over 200K worth of grants, when what we stand for as a community, spirtual rejuvenation through the use of psychaedelics/entheogens gets barely squat.

Come on, there's been over 100 years of parapsych research, there's not a single agreed upon effect, there are no parameters with which to manipulate the said effect, AND there's no theory explaining the puported effect.

And even if there WAS a theory, it pertains only to biological organisms, which takes it out of the realm of physics, unless you want to evoke crazy stuf like organic-only bose-einstein condensates.

• Like 4

good point thelema..

is there any chance of discussing the subtlties of this study ie why is it any different &/or more interesting than everything else thats been done in the past in this area?

I am doing it now, this is a nice distraction from chores.

All the best with ALL your research, and please keep us updated!

Thanks Khala! I will post updates and details about our projects. You are welcome to forward me your contact details if you would like to make sure you receive details of results and publications.

[email protected]

maybe i'm missing the point but i thought some of the questions were a bit too vague to be very meaningful...

like the ufo one: Have you ever seen something that you believed to be an Unidentified Flying Object (UFO)?

i had to put no. even though i have seen hundreds of UFO's in my life.. i do not believe they were UFO's, i definitely didn't think they were from another planet.. they were flying objects that i could not identify so of course they were UFO's weren't they?

also: Have you ever made contact with someone whom you believed to be an extraterrestrial being?

i have had experiences that have seemed extremely real of meeting beings that seemed like aliens but i didn't beleive they were extraterrestrials.. i didn't form any belief about the experience one way or the other.. so again i had to say no. but doesn't that totally discount the validity of this experience in terms of this study? my point being that.. isn't this kind of experience relevant for this kind of study?

i definitely think studies like this are worthwhile but i would feel more comfortable doing it if it were designed in a way that took certain subtleties into account a little more.. there may some subtext to the design of the questionaire that i'm not aware of & these things may be totally deliberate, i'm not sure but i thought i would just offer some (hopefully) constructive critisism :)

Thanks Paradox, any constructive feedback is greatly welcomed. There are limitations to any study and what you say is very valid. This type of study seeks to gain an overall picture and as such it is not investigating subtleties. Responses are also very subjective so it sounds ad if you responded accordingly. The type of research you talk about would involve in depth interviews about peoples experiences and this is something we would also like to explore. Thanks for your participation :)

Would be nice if it spat out a "percentage crazy" after a solid chunk of an hour was spent. ;P

Thanks Bluntmuffin, hopefully you feel rewarded with the knowledge that you have contributed to meaningful research :)

You got me thinking...if you were put at any point in time, you could come up with umpteen reasons why you would have to say yes to that question. Like WW2 for example...then the cold war. I suppose all that's really relevant in life is "the moment". When your no longer living "your moment" is when you no longer exist. We are always at the centre of huge events that impact the future of the world. Well I am :P

Thanks Dolos, not everyone feels the way you do. I would consider you one of the lucky ones :)

• Like 1

i would say dmt is a tool for spiritual awakening.

No doubting it being a spiritual experience though (imo)

I wonder if Dr Adam Rock has any first hand experience ? B)

Thanks Tipz, I would agree with you. I will also add that the best research often stems from first hand experience :)

• Like 1

Thanks 7baz, as mentioned, dmt could be considered a tool for a spiritual awakening.

Will you be forwarding all results to ASIO? :crux:

:P

Thanks Meeka, hmm funny you say that. Dr Rock was talking about ASIO just the other day... But no, results will not be forwarded to them :)

lol meeka , that made me laugh. :lol:

sincerely i reckon we should give kylie a dmt experience.

the studies be complete in no time.

Thanks 7baz, I'm open to experiences that will enhance the quality of my research :)

• Like 1