The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

South America 2012

The Spring 2012 expedition to Peru and possibly Bolivia is from March through May (about 3 months). We will be exploring the wilds Peru and Bolivia with a focus on ethnobotany, medicinal knowledge, the environment and helping the people of South America. We will be volunteering at an orphanage, playing tourist around Cusco's "Sacred Valley" region and then taking part in the 2012 expedition.

Aside from volunteering at the orphanage we will be exploring the "Sacred Valley" region of Peru for about 3-4 weeks before rest of the expedition team arrives, which will give us a chance to adjust to the culture, the environment, the altitude and the ambiance of this ancient and beautiful land! This will include seeing the ancient ruins of Ollantaytambo, hiking the Inca Trail and visiting the mythical mountain city of Machu Picchu. While most of the team will be staying two to three months anyone is welcome to stay for a short or as long of a period as they would like.

~Location(s)~

South America: Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, etc.

>>>Peru:

*Matucana

*Iquitos

*Cusco - "Sacred Valley" region

*Lima - avoid.

>>>Bolivia:

*Salar de Uyuni and surrounds

*Samaipata - relaxed hippy town in the easy, just up the hill from Santa Cruz.

*La Paz

>>>Ecuador:

*Vilcabamba- not a bad relaxing spot (note the Vilca trees in the main square!).

*Cuenca- a beautiful colonial town and has quite a diversity of indigenous culture.

*Quito - avoid.

~Duration~

2-3 months (50-100 days) or longer.

~Expedition Goals~

Visit both the Andes mountains and the Amazon River Basin (including the actual Amazon River itself).

Arrive in Peru 3-5 weeks in advance rest of the rest of the expedition team.

Volunteer and stay at the " orphanage for awhile. Help the orphan's in whatever way possible, focusing on self-sufficientcy and sustainablity. Give the gift of a large amount of seeds and help build new gardens in addition to other donations such as clothes, cookware, food, etc. During your journey through Peru collect as much seed as possible and return to the orphanage before you leave to give to them. Make a plan on how to help the orphanage- becoming more self-sufficient, planting seeds, making raised beds, etc.

Go to Ollantaytambo and stay at the K.B. inn. See the ruins at Ollantaytambo.

Setting out from Ollantaytambo hike and backpack around the "Sacred Valley", perhaps traveling on the Inca Trail or some other route to Machu Picchu.

After hiking to Machu Picchu use the quickest, cheapest and safest means of transportation possible to return back to the orphanage, Cusco or another location where you can rest for a few (2-5) days before the expedition team arrives.

Hang out in the city of Cusco for at least a few days at some point during the journey. Cusco will likely be our starting point, ending point and "homebase" so to speak.

Visit shaman who uses "San Pedro" and ingest the holy cactus with him/her.

Visit "Ayahuasca" shamans, seek to learn some of their knowledge especially about the plants themselves.

Go up above 15,000+ feet if possible, but only use the pharmaceutical drug diamox the first 2-3 weeks or if symptoms are unbearable.

Press many botanicals and deposit the herbaria specimens in a suitable organization just before you leave. Give seeds to the orphanage and other worthy people who will propagate and preserve the plants.

Document the expedition with photography, video, audio and plenty of notes. Compile this information into a movie or whatever.

Live among tribes people for a period of time and learn their ways and culture philosophy.

~Plant Documentation & Collection~

Document and collect seeds from medicinal plants, food crops and especially reputed psychoactives. Collect as much seed as possible!

See various Trichocereus in their native habitat, take lots of photos.

Collect Trichocereus peruvianus plant cuttings and seeds with features of your liking- "True Blue"

Collect Trichocereus pachanoi plant cuttings and seeds with features of your liking- almost nonexistent spines, etc.

Collect Trichocereus bridgesii plant cuttings and seeds with features of your liking- any plants with 4-ribs

Collect Neoraimondia macrostibas ("Cimora" admixture strain) plant cuttings and seeds.

Learn more about the "Cimora" brew. Collect and document "Cimora" botanicals, create herbia samples for all plants. Ingest the "Cimora" brew.

Document the preparation and usage of Anadenanthera.

Try to find a Diplopterys cabrerana plant.

Collect Banisteriopsis caapi (White/Yellow/Light/Sky/Heaven strain) plants and seeds.

Collect Psychotria viridis (potent strain with appentages under the leaf) plants and seeds.

Learn more about Virola species.

Collect Justicia pectoralis var. stenophylla plant cuttings.

Collect Salvia species plants and seeds.

Collect Nicotiana species (smoking strain) seeds

Learn more about the usage of Ilex species, collect seed from useful species.

Document Psilocybe species or other psychoactive, edible or medicinal fungi. Make spores prints.

Collect Passiflora species used in "Ayahuasca", "Cimora" or for other psychoactive/medicinal purposes.

Collect Erythroxylum novogratensis var. truxilensis in Trujillo, Peru.

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

~~~ Expeditions ~~~

>>> South America - Andean/Amazon Anthropological & Ethnobotanical Expedition March 2012

~~~ Expeditions ~~~

>>> South America - Andean/Amazon Anthropological & Ethnobotanical Expedition March 2012

*Purpose*-

Arrive in Peru 3-4 weeks in advance rest of the Botanical Preservation Corps expedition team.

Volunteer at the "Casa De Milagros" orphanage for about 7-13 days. Help the orphan's in whatever way possible, focusing on self-sufficientcy and sustainablity. Give the gift of a large amount of seeds and help build new gardens in addition to cash and other donations such as clothes, cookware, food, etc. During your journey through Peru collect as much seed as possible and return to the orphanage before you leave to give to them. Make a plan on how to help the orphanage- becoming more self-sufficient, planting seeds, making raised beds, etc.

Go to Ollantaytambo and stay at the K.B. inn. See the ruins at Ollantaytambo.

Setting out from Ollantaytambo hike and backpack around the "Sacred Valley", perhaps traveling on the Inca Trail or some other route to Machu Picchu.

After hiking to Machu Picchu use the quickest, cheapest and safest means of transportation possible to return back to the orphanage, Cusco or another location where you can rest for a few (2-5) days before the Botanical Preservation Corps expedition team arrives.

Participate in the Botanical Preservation Corps 2012 ethnobotanical expedition if invited.

Hang out in the city of Cusco for at least a few days at some point during the journey. Cusco will likely be our starting point, ending point and "homebase" so to speak.

Visit shaman who uses "San Pedro" and ingest the holy cactus with him/her.

Visit "Ayahuasca" shamans, seekto learn some of their knowledge especially about the plants themselves.

Go up above 15,000+ feet if possible, but only use the pharmaceutical drug diamox the first 2-3 weeks or if symptoms are unbearable.

Ship plants and seeds from Bolivia or other safe location to someone awaiting their arrival in the USA.

Deposit herbaria specimens in a suitable organization just before you leave. Give seeds to the orphanage and other worthy people.

Document the expedition with photography, video, audio and plenty of notes. Compile this information into a movie or whatever.

>>> Carolinas Anthropological & Ethnobotanical Expedition

*Purpose*-

(Re-)discover the Carolina's native psychoactive and medicinal flora and fauna.

Collect ethnobotanicals native to the Carolinas, especially potential psychoactives.

Collect viable seeds and/or living plants of Dionaea muscipula and other carnivorous plants native to the Carolinas.

Collect viable seeds and/or living plants of Passiflora species native to the Carolinas.

Collect viable seeds and/or living plants of any Nicotiana species reputed to be native to the Carolinas or historically tied to the region. Learn more about Nicotiana usage in the Carolinas, especially ancient use by Native Americans.

Find and document Cypripedium species.

Find and document Monotropa uniflora.

Find and document Psilocybe species. Collect Psilocybe species herbarium specimens, spores prints, etc.

Find and document any psychoactive and/or edible fungi native to the Carolinas.

Find and document edible plants and rare food crops.

Find and document psychoactive flora and fauna native to the Carolinas.

Re-plant endangered species in suitable habitats.

Travel from the Appalachian Mountains to the Outer Banks in search of ethnobotanicals.

>>> Place- Mexico

*Purpose*-

Collect the following botanicals-

Collect Salvia divinorum plants and seeds, collect other Salvia species as well

Solenostemon (Former: Coleus) species (strains said to be active); Clear up the "Coleus Myth")

Locate and learn about the psychoactive Puffballs

Heimia salicifolia ~ "Sinicuichi"

Quararibea funebris

Psilocybe species spores prints

"Peyotes" and "Lost Peyotes" seeds

Taragets lucida

>>> Place- Amazon, South America

*Purpose*-

Collect the following botanicals-

Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil ~ "Cebil" plants and seeds

Anadenanthera peregrina var. yopo ~ “Yopo” plants and seeds***

Diplopterys cabrerana plants and seeds***

Banisteriopsis caapi (White/Yellow/Light/Sky/Heaven strain) plants and seeds

Psychotria viridis (potent strain) plants and seeds

Virola calophylla plants and seeds***

Virola calophylloidea plants and seeds

Virola elongata plants and seeds

Virola peruviana plants and seeds

Virola theiodora plants and seeds

Justicia pectoralis var. stenophylla plant cuttings

Salvia species plants and seeds

Nicotiana species (smoking strain) seeds

Ilex guayusa (shamanic strain) plants

Psilocybe species spores prints

Tetrapterys methystica plants and seeds

Learn more about Ilex paraguariensis and collect seeds and plants.

Learn more about Ilex tarapotina also known as “Té O’ Maté” as collect plants and/or seeds if possible.

Collect Passiflora species used in Ayahuasca, Cimora or for other psychoactive purposes

>>> Place- Africa

*Purpose*-

Collect Iboga plants

Collect "Miracle Fruit" plants and seeds; Eat "Miracle Fruits".

Collect Dioscoreophyllum cumminsii & D. volkensii plants, fruits and seeds.

Collect Pentadiplandra brazzeana plants, fruits and seeds.

Collect Synsepalum dulcificum plants, fruits and seeds.

Collect Thaumatococcus daniellii plants, fruits and seeds.

Learn more about the obscure psychoactives of Africa.

Learn more about primates and human evolution.

>>> Place- India & Nepal

*Purpose*-

Go over 20,000 feet above sea level

Collect Cannabis seeds

Learn about how Ageryia nervosous is used (HBWR)

>>> China & Asian

*Purpose*-

Ilex kudingcha ~ "Kudingcha" or "Ku Ding Cha"

Ilex yunnanensis ~ “Yunnan Holly”

~~~~~~~~~~COMPLETED ETHNOBOTANICAL EXPEDITIONS NOTES~~~~~~~~~~

>>> Expedition Outer Banks Oct. 2009 {2}

Collected from Buxton to Ocracoke-

Ilex vomitoria plant and berries

Opuntia drummonidii plants

Yucca afruit

Live Oak seed

Pennywort plants and seed

Beauty Berry fruit

>>> Andean Ethnobotanical Expedition (Cusco, Sacred Valley, Peru) April 22th - May 3, 2010 {4}

??????

Edited by Teotzlcoatl
  • Like 1

I'm trying to work out the specifics of my 2012 expedition to Peru.

What should I do? What plants should I collect? Give me your ideas!

I'll also gladly accept funding to seek out specific plants ;)

My first thought was to find out the botanical ingredients of the mystical "Cimora" Trichocereus brew of the Andes!

This is my expedition thread...

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

My goal would be to stay away from places like that!

Wow, thats a pretty interesting Prison.

Teotz, much luck on your trip. My younger brother will be in Peru sometime in 2012

I don't know if it's still possible, but there used to be a public tour through that prison. It used to be a highlight of the Andean back-packer trail in the 70's and 80's. Rusty Young wrote a phenomenal book about it called "Marching Powder".

But yes, the Amazon jungle is probably more interesting than a prison.

still wouldn't mind spending a night in that prison feeding the fat cat a few treats.

Great story that 'marching powder'

Edited by tipz

Dont forget Trujillo, in Peru. Its cultivated a cool strain erythroxylum "novogratensis var Truxilensis", well adapted to low humidity ambient.

Dont forget Trujillo, in Peru. Its cultivated a cool strain erythroxylum "novogratensis var Truxilensis", well adapted to low humidity ambient.

I could probably go there and collect some seed or plant.

Sounds very interesting... where is it located? When can I expect my funding to arrive? :rolleyes::P

I think urmenetea is only likely to be visible after rain. that means probably only every decade or so.

Go to the vulcan area!!! Thats exactly what i said to my ex few years ago too,

Greenie. But unfortunately she never did. :lol:

Edited by Evil Genius

Do yourself a favour and fly up to see Vulcan arenal in Costa Rica.

LOL I'd love to but I'm not going to be anywhere close to there!

When will you be there? If in the rainy season, keep your eye out for interesting fungus species. There is an incredible concentration of them over there.

I'll be down there some time between March and July 2012.

the costa rican vulcanoes are top, but i would strongly recommand tungurawah (spell?) close to banjos ecuador.

the variety of plant life one can observe whils walking up this vulcano is incredible.

but it erupted not long agao, so maybe off the list, hehehe.

Do you plan on giving back to the people and places you will take plants and knowledge from?

• Like 1

Damn dude. Have fun hey. looks like a pretty cool itinery you have going there.

Im currently thinking of making my way over there for about a month in 2013, so i'll be keen to see how you go. I'd love to go for longer but my time wont allow. as it is it will be a rushed vistit as i know there is so much to see and do over there.

but im about to start learning latin american spanish cause im pretty keen, and im sure it will be the first of many visits there.

I would love to tie it in with botanical studies like you are teotz, but initially im just playing tourist. :wacko:

Good point tripsis on the fungi. maybe i can tie in future visits with fungal studies.

anyway, thanks for travel ideas everyone.

Cheers, Obtuse.

I prefer Central America myself - the cloud forests of Costa Rica are amazing. When your watching sloths and howler monkeys in the trees in front of a semi-erupting volcano all while lying in a spa drinking cocktails with some Pura vida snow to come later on your living the life.

highlights from my trip

Argentina:

northern argentina - Salta and Jujuy areas

Bolivia:

Salar de Uyuni and surrounds

Samaipata - relaxed hippy town in the easy, just up the hill from Santa Cruz.

La Paz

Peru:

Cusco is pretty awesome. Very touristy but ignore that and enjoy.

Macchu Pichu is totally touristified, but still amazing. Take some cactus and walk up the hill early in the morning.

Lima - avoid.

The rest of Peru, while there are a few bits of botanical interest, has a very low signal to noise ratio and plenty of annoyance. I will avoid in future trips. I spent a few weeks travelling throughout the northern coast and Sierra and mostly found it dangerous and hasslesome. YMMV.

Ecuador:

Vilcabamba is not a bad relaxing spot (note the Vilca trees in the main square!). Good cactus too. Full of crazed Americans though, each with a fascinating conspiracy theory that they will be happy to explain to you at length.

Cuenca is a beautiful colonial town and has quite a diversity of indigenous culture. And some good bars! one of my favourite spots all up.

Quito - avoid.

I managed to get down to the oriente to stay with the Secoya people in on the Rio Aguarico. This was amazing but hard to organise.

Next time, I want to hire a boat in Coca and go down the Rio Napo to Iquitos, stopping along the way.

Chile

You really can't go past Valparaiso as far as urban culture goes. Absolutely awesome town.

Otherwise I was not highly impressed with any particular places. Chileans were generally pretty friendly and the whole country seems like a wonder of economic development after spending a while in Peru and Bolivia. But the downside of that is that it's very expensive.

Next time I want to go to the far south. The Fjords sound amazing.

also stayed a few days on the Aguarico river with Mr Andy Pasqual - well know healer/ayahuascero - in 2004.

Do you plan on giving back to the people and places you will take plants and knowledge from?

Like volunteering at an orphanage? Yes I am.

I think putting my own time and money into preserving the knowledge and the plants is in and of it's self serving humanity.

I would love to tie it in with botanical studies like you are teotz, but initially im just playing tourist.

I halfway did that last year, now I'm ready to get serious.

Occidentalis great info, thanks! This is all great info, thanks everyone! I'm so glad I'm a part of the Corroboree!

Edited by Teotzlcoatl