The Corroboree
ThunderIdeal

attention all computer-station users

i will comment more on this soon, but for now i want to pay some of you back for the jealousy you have inspired in me over the years.

this is how i currently roll. to make one of these, you will need a computer, building materials, and dexies.

the idea is, it doesn't destroy your posture nearly as badly, if at all. also, i'm using my computer on the fucking deck, my workstation has wheels and parallels have been drawn to r2-d2, except r2-d2 was never overlooking brisbane forest park and there's not a cunt out there for miles and miles.

it has also made my little house much tidier.

post-3543-0-01318500-1311905217_thumb.jp

post-3543-0-78662700-1311905388_thumb.jp

290720111998.jpg

290720111999.jpg

290720111998.jpg

290720111999.jpg

• Like 2

Best outdoor masturbation-station I've seen yet :P:lol:

• Like 2

Ha ha thunder you're a sick cunt, sounds like a nice view too.

Best outdoor masturbation-station I've seen yet :P:lol:

so that's what the bin's for eh?

Not to mention the industrial size drum of hand lotion at your feet :P

Hehe, jokes aside, that's awesome dude. Looks like you live in a really nice place, lots of vegetation.

are you always looking left? you need the screen infront of you :)

It look like it's directly above to me :scratchhead:

:wacko:

Three keyboards?

:D

well, i'm a tall cunt who has spent a lot of his life slouching and generally ruining my physique with bad habits. i am seriously getting into yoga now and have found a chiropractor that i like (he even fixed my jaw), but i thought this guy is taking my money and fixing me then i'm going home and reversing the good work. he mentioned the ergonomic recliners briefly but i actually went online and found one. you will notice that as your back reclines, your knees come up along with your feet, so the weight gets spread all along your back and legs. even if you can sit up straight in a normal chair, which i never do, all of the weight goes down through your lumbar to your sitting bones.

the chair is a lafuma clipper, the cheapest ones were on amazon for around three hundred dollars. i just saw that BCF is selling similar outdoor style ergonomic recliners for 170. they look okay but beware they have the elastic bits which lafuma has replaced with plastic clips, so the elastic will need to be periodically replaced and those kits cost around forty i think.

you can get big leather jobs but they cost a mint. oh, there is another brand i forget who makes the outdoor style space-chairs a bit cheaper than lafuma.

the "desk" is on wheels and only anchored by a phone cord and a power cord. i just had to wheel it in because i felt some rain (finally). the UPS, hard drives and router are all near the bottom, the monitor mount cost 26 and required six cm of wood to be screwed into. i'd prefer it to tilt up more so i may modify it later on. it's okay looking up at the monitor (my neck had to get used to being at a natural angle for long periods, which is good), but i like my eyes to be much further away than most people, i have excellent sight and i don't want that to change.

the main issue was how to make it stable. i found a thing which can only be described as many A4 sized shelves stacked vertically. it must weight AT LEAST thirty kilos! so this hangs off the far side of the base, and is necessarily attached at the top as well. again, my little house is much tidier thanks to around thirty little A4 shelves.

another part of my quest for healthy computering has been trying out different peripherals. i won't go into the full details but having a mouse and keyboard on your lap is a bit of a fucking downer so i ordered a shintaro keyboard which has a trackball and scroll wheel built into it. if i need to hit a combination of buttons or find a weird button, i just lift the keyboard up rather than looking down at it.

the whole rationale behind this is that if you are reclined, craning your neck downwards is bad. my head is comfortably resting backwards which is helping the neck vertebrae regain some of their natural curve.

You can never have enough keyboards. My girlfriend threw one out because she said we had too many. Now I take hers whenever I need a spare one :lol:

Three keyboards?

i can probably get rid of the extraneous wireless keyboard and mouse. two keyboards will do. one normal wired keyboard, and one wireless keyboard/mouse which has the keys all squashed together in a bit of a strange layout.

not sure how you've interpreted the image CT, they aren't great photos, in the first photo the seat is not reclined. the monitor is roughly above my knees.

i may be back to my normal post-whoring now all of this is sorted.

You can never have enough keyboards. My girlfriend threw one out because she said we had too many. Now I take hers whenever I need a spare one :lol:

too right. you can set keyboards up for different applications, for instance if you were producing music using cubase, you can put stickers on each key so you know what all the hot keys are. if you do something a lot then it is worthwhile to make it easy.

are you always looking left? you need the screen infront of you :)

now i understand. you can't see the monitor in the first pic but it is suspended above the chair. that's what makes it magic.

too right. you can set keyboards up for different applications, for instance if you were producing music using cubase, you can put stickers on each key so you know what all the hot keys are. if you do something a lot then it is worthwhile to make it easy.

That too. I'd be happy with one per computer at the moment though. lol. I run my server completely headless, and the HTPCs using microsoft remotes, so most of the time I unplug the the keyboards and put them away. My girlfriend didn't understand that if I'm messing around with operating systems or can't use ssh for some other reason then I may actually need to plug in a couple of extra keyboards.

Well done thunderz . :)

Do you think it would be suitable for work? I mean ergonomics is primarily about healthy and productive posture while working, but I'd be concerned I'd relax and not get much done if I had my desk set up that way. Being vertical can help in staying awake, lol. I'd love to have two separate setups, one like yours for general laid back stuff, watching tv, playing games that don't require too much attention, tripping, etc. and one for more serious stuff like trying to clock the latest FPS.

well for me, i get pissed off using a normal workstation for too long. with this one i can quite happily be at the computer for long periods. high intensity mousing might be physically difficult, but i am pretty much through with that. i hate using any form of mouse, the more hot keys i can use the happier i am. mousing itself is not good for you but there is one thing worse, and that is rapidly shifting your right hand between the home keys, the number pad, and the mouse, i figured that out when i used to do data entry for a living. sadly the mouse is here to stay but i don't have to like it, or play FPS/RTS frequently.

if you're pondering this setup zac, all you really need is somewhere to put the monitor. that said, i'm pretty happy with what i came up with because it doesn't even take up two square meters of floor.

you have computers everywhere so i say go for it. don't forget the dexies.

well for me, i get pissed off using a normal workstation for too long. with this one i can quite happily be at the computer for long periods. high intensity mousing might be physically difficult, but i am pretty much through with that. i hate using any form of mouse, the more hot keys i can use the happier i am. mousing itself is not good for you but there is one thing worse, and that is rapidly shifting your right hand between the home keys, the number pad, and the mouse, i figured that out when i used to do data entry for a living. sadly the mouse is here to stay but i don't have to like it, or play FPS/RTS frequently.

if you're pondering this setup zac, all you really need is somewhere to put the monitor. that said, i'm pretty happy with what i came up with because it doesn't even take up two square meters of floor.

you have computers everywhere so i say go for it. don't forget the dexies.

This is great! But having keyboard on your lap must be a real pain... I wonder can you build an extendable arm or an extendable shelf (on a slight angle to make it comfortable) for the keyboard and mouse? It would be tricky hammering away at the keys so it would have to be very stable and not bounce around in the air when you're typing.

Maybe something like those little wheel-around tables you get in hospitals. Except with a benchtop that has an adjustable angle so you can still type at 90 degrees to the direction of your body.

Or I know! a flap down one that's attached to your arm-rest. Like they have in old uni lecture halls (if you know what I mean).

• Like 1

Nice setup m8, whats it like for gaming ? & do you roll it inside during the night to protect it from frost moisture ?

i reckon a nice angled retractable keyboard desk would finish it off

Edited by mac

What about learning one of the Dvorak one-handed layouts and having the keyboard strapped to the left arm of the chair with a trackball on the right? B)

Nothing against my battlestation though. :P

post-1140-0-04945800-1311934306_thumb.jp

That looks like bin Laden's games room... If that mat faces North he could even play Goldeneye while praising Allah! You're not really bin Laden are you EG?

Bahahahah

Too funny.

And TI, what do you do when it rains? I wonder... :P