The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sclaws

Mutant lophophora graft?

Greetings?

I am confused- I grafted a seedling onto a san pedro a couple of years back and then last summer it produced a weird growth.

graft.jpg

Ok, so its a lophophora williamsii grafted onto san pedro. First the odd green shoot off the side and then the purple button. It's not sunburn and has root tips shooting off it. Red pup is approx 1cm. Any ideas anyone? One possibility- I sometimes graft coloured or variegated lophophora seedlings to save them- could it be a purple loph?

All opinions welcome.

Sclaws

could it be a chimera??

yeah that red button looks like it could be a variegation, but who knows with that other bit off the side, i've never seen anything that looks quite like that.

hopefully it is the start of a crest!

Finally a "San Pedro" X "Peyote" chimera?

I knew it'd happen one day. Try to keep the mutated section alive using all possible means.

Close one thread....

i would wonder about chimera as well. can you take more pics?

Hope these pics help...

peyote-graft-1.jpgpeyote-graft-2.jpg

..note roots forming.

Edited by sclaws

peyote-graft-3.jpg

note tubercles top left- hoping for more of the same...

Edited by sclaws

can you post a picture of the mutated part of the graft

doesnt look like a chimera. that red is most likely being new and light related.

Hiya, I thought an update might be in order. Keen to hear what you think now the mutant peyote has developed a bit...

post-7484-0-43547800-1342125775_thumb.jp post-7484-0-84793700-1342125821_thumb.jp

and here's how it fits into the bigger picture... peyote on san pedro

post-7484-0-88580900-1342125842_thumb.jp

post-7484-0-43547800-1342125775_thumb.jpg

post-7484-0-84793700-1342125821_thumb.jpg

post-7484-0-88580900-1342125842_thumb.jpg

post-7484-0-43547800-1342125775_thumb.jpg

post-7484-0-84793700-1342125821_thumb.jpg

post-7484-0-88580900-1342125842_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers for the update i wanted to see what happened with that. To bad it didn't stay red like the original pic its still super cool tho

ohhh my!!!!! Hope it flowers and sets seed,..... could be a chimera indeed. I'm sure many (serious growers/collectors) people would be interested.

• Like 1

It sure looks like a chimera.

Are they roots coming out of the bottom of it ?

this is mind blowing!

edit:

i remeber now this is my specimen, give it back.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 5

bump

WTF? :worship::drool2:

Coolest thing ive seen here in a while +10

• Like 1

Greeeting fellow cacti nutters- heres this years update. Time for a degraft perhaps?

lophopedro-2013i.jpglophopedro-2013iii.jpg

All sorts of weird growth going on with this baby! The top loph has flowered for the first first- a pathetic bloom. To degraft or not degraft- that is the question- it has plenty of proto-roots so should take...

Edited by sclaws
  • Like 2

That is a really interesting graft. Great work.

I'm not convinced its a chimera, I would actually argue strongly that it isn't. I think it has grown that way due to the bacterial infection that is effecting the stock and the scion. Look close at the last pic on the stock there is a 'rust' haze all over it especially near the areols and the loph also has a similar infection which is causing the bottom to deform and sink in. That pup is growing in that manner because it is trying to out run or grow ahead of the bacteria which is spreading as it grows. Look at the small roots they are covered in rusty bacteria and that is why they are not growing.

I would definitely degraft it, the stock is pretty badly infected, and if you still think it's a Chimera then simply graft that pup and see what happens. You may find when you cut the main head off and allow it to rest for 5-10min the cut surface will begin to turn orange (rust) where the vascular bundles run, if this happens cut another few mm off and see what happens, a little bit orange is ok but it will still have the infection and will need to be treated with a systemic fungicide.

Please note this is my opinion and may not be correct I am only basing it on my experience with lophs and de-grafts etc and I've done a fair few :)

Edited by Hellonasty
  • Like 3

thanks Hellonasty- not what I wanted to hear but an interesting opinion- you've got me thinking now- all sounds quite plausible. I'll wait for a few more opinions before getting my knife out though....

I would leave it on as long as it is growing just fine. You could treat it with a fungucide just to be sure. If you degraft and it is infected, the chance of your graft taking successfully will be less. So better nurse it back to health if it is indeed infected.

There is a small chance that it is a chimera. So better take precautions and treat it as such. However you want to look at it,.... it looks special.

If you get pups from this baby and feel like sending some off to a faaaaaa faaaa away location to spread the love.... let me know. :D

Btw,... when it shoots off pups,... then you should start grafting them as soon as they are big enough. stay on the safe side..... I was in love with your plant the moment I saw it!

Hellonasty or woof, any recommendations on a good anti fungal product that is safe for cacti? I've got a few that could use a dose and have no clue what I might be looking for.

I would leave it on as long as it is growing just fine. You could treat it with a fungucide just to be sure. If you degraft and it is infected, the chance of your graft taking successfully will be less. So better nurse it back to health if it is indeed infected.

There is a small chance that it is a chimera. So better take precautions and treat it as such. However you want to look at it,.... it looks special.

If you get pups from this baby and feel like sending some off to a faaaaaa faaaa away location to spread the love.... let me know. :D

Btw,... when it shoots off pups,... then you should start grafting them as soon as they are big enough. stay on the safe side..... I was in love with your plant the moment I saw it!

I have given my thoughts on the de-graft issue, definitely do it or you will eventually loose the stock first and then the loph. The stock is the source of the bacteria look at the photo again, bacteria spreads via contact or via particles in the air so any part of the plant that is closer to the infection (the stock) will eventually become infected, your funky growth pup is directly adjacent to the stock which is 100% infected. Over the next 2-4 months depending on how wet it is the stock will get weaker shrivel up and if not de-grafted, kill the loph too. You are better off doing it now before any further damage occurs to the loph. It is already fighting off the infection. All you have to do is cut above any parts that are infected and you have a clean plant.

If you want to come to a compromise and treat it be sure not to get it wet! water or even high humidity will increase the spread 10 fold.

My thoughts on the best possible way to treat it if you choose to do so;

Dust the entire plant in Sulphor + Copper, I mean cover every part of it so it covered in yellow powder (no green visible at all), let it sit for 7 days like this then dust off the majority with a dry paint brush. Allow the plant to recover for about 3 weeks, don't water it or get the skin wet and avoid high humidity.

You could also treat the roots of the stock which not doubt will be infected also, try mixing up a systemic fungicide (Fongarid or similar) and applying it to the roots and soil only. Again don't get the skin of the loph or stock wet. This will help reduce infection in the roots and entire plant due to the systemic nature of the fungicide.

In the end the decision lies with you and your ability to de-graft it successfully.

I hope I have helped. Please not I'm not trying to cause any problems just helping in an area I have a good amount of experience in.