The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

Why Pot Smokers Are Paranoid

Hiding your life behind a thick cloud of marijuana smoke may make you less paranoid in the short term but I very much doubt it will work in the long term.

What a judgmental and nonsensical comment that is.

Not only are there many stoners with great lives, but there's also many stoners with highly successful lives!

Personally I started smoking marijuana when I was 13 years old and gave up when I was 21. This is over a decade ago so my personal experiences may no longer be valid anymore. I will say this though. I gave up pot because it was contributing to major speed psychosis and I was hearing voices all the time. I decided to give up the pot and kept on the speed for a few more years and the psychosis was much reduced. Another contributing factor was the fact I lived in an awful violent alcohol drenched town and I was getting paranoid that I would have to defend myself while under the influence of pot.

Frigging classic. Yet another person who believes that speed is healthier than pot. You disappoint me, rahli.

How is that pot's fault? If you can't fight while you're high, then you just haven't had enough practice. And not only that, but there's many fighters in the world who actually believe that pot can make you a better fighter.

• Like 1

would like to know how much people use? daily weekly monthly? have you ever asked yourself if you could live your life without pot or any drug for that matter? ever wondered what it would be like to live without it, not just saying for a couple months but for years? how would your life change?

good post rahli. I agree with many points that you raised. As for the non pot users experiences of dmt vs pot users experiences of dmt, i would think that there might be a problem finding many people who have tried d but not mary. It seems to me that the kind of person to whom dmt appeals to may have looked for some similar things in pot, which seems more accessible due to its relative mildness and due to it being more easy to obtain. I'm sure this is an obvious observation, and besides this i think that this is a thought- provoking question. Is this question restricted to the changa/smoked dmt method of administration or do you include aya in it. I believe there would be many more not pot users that have had aya, than there are dmt smokers who have constantly passed the dutchie on the left hand side without having a toke.

Can anybody help rahli with this q?

Synchromesh; I don't think rahli's comment was directed at you. he's not saying you are a bad person. I think that comment is more a reflection on people he has known.

You keep on pointing out that many people don't get paranoid on pot or many people think that pot can make you a better fighter, but nobody here is talking in absolutes. I think everyone who has commented in this thread knows that different people react differently to different drugs and that this is true for marijuana. Those judgmental comments do not endear you to readers

would like to know how much people use? daily weekly monthly? have you ever asked yourself if you could live your life without pot or any drug for that matter? ever wondered what it would be like to live without it, not just saying for a couple months but for years? how would your life change?

Who gives a shit. One could ask the same question for coffee, chocolate, alchohol, eating meat, watching TV, having sex or any number of things but why bother.

Edited by Mycot

Football mentality.Huh?I like football :)

My mum is Macodonian,82 and still grows some weed every summer(outdoors,chicken shit all around -from the chooks ofcourse) and yes, no-one cares where she lives. And to this day has never spaarked up a bunga.

Different use value for her.

When we were small, i remember she used to feed us potpancakes to put us off to sleep when we were acting all raucous and shit. No medicinesEVER for when were sick, just little bits and pieces from the 'garden'

She's never smoked it and she's fit as -still tenders to all her 'fully' stocked garden . Also, has retained excellent use of all her faculties.

Dad on the other hand is more Greek and grapes ,wine,raki, stills,vats - i used to miss school when i was up alnight with him tending to the wood fired 60l still he had going.

He Drank heaps and smoked heaps.

Now he's reduced to sitting in the corner, clenched smile, 2 near death organ failures, diabetic, and really has no idea who we are....or if we ever existed.

So what;s better???

Dunno , but paranoid and potsmoking what was him-violent and unreasonable.shitted me to tears.

I still indulge in both on a regular basis and when i skid sideways it's because of too much of both at the same time.Idiot, i shood know better.

Anyway, it's a fickle question but there are always 2 sides to the same answer.

_some cross-cultural info from my backwoods daze

• Like 1

Not only are there many stoners with great lives, but there's also many stoners with highly successful lives!

My comment was directed at the folks referred to who smoke marijuana to reduce paranoia in their lives. I'm sure their are some folk with great successful lives who smoke chronic.

Frigging classic. Yet another person who believes that speed is healthier than pot. You disappoint me, rahli.

I never said speed was healthier then pot. Pot was getting boring having smoked my whole teen years away so I decided to abuse amphetamines for a few years.

How is that pot's fault?

I do not blame anything on pot, I take full responsibility for smoking it. This includes stopping smoking it when it no longer benefits me.

If you can't fight while you're high, then you just haven't had enough practice.

Words are cheap.

I went straight for 5 years from like 24 till 29. finished my uni degree and got myself a sweet job.

I've been straight now for around 4 months as I have family commitments to attend to which need my full attention.

I'm sure there are plenty of folk that could pull this off while caned on drugs but I can honestly say I'm not one of them. I only use drugs if and when they are going to benefit my life and the life of those around me. Its all part of growing up and taking on the responsibilities of an adult. For me at least.

As for the non pot users experiences of dmt vs pot users experiences of dmt, i would think that there might be a problem finding many people who have tried d but not mary.

I agree that most people that are likely try changa would be marijuana smokers. This fact could potentially skew the perception of changa to that of the pot smoker across the entire range of its use. I also think that the smoking abilities and confidence of a pot smoker could greatly increase the effectiveness of their dose of Changa but this does not explain away the spirit of my observations as stated in my previous posts.

Is this question restricted to the changa/smoked dmt method of administration or do you include aya in it. I believe there would be many more not pot users that have had aya, than there are dmt smokers who have constantly passed the dutchie on the left hand side without having a toke.

I have also seen people respond this way while under the influence of aya but as the experience is not as accessible I do not have enough observations to form a valid opinion.

• Like 1

Synchromesh; I don't think rahli's comment was directed at you. he's not saying you are a bad person. I think that comment is more a reflection on people he has known.

You keep on pointing out that many people don't get paranoid on pot or many people think that pot can make you a better fighter, but nobody here is talking in absolutes. I think everyone who has commented in this thread knows that different people react differently to different drugs and that this is true for marijuana. Those judgmental comments do not endear you to readers

1# Where have I said that I was a pot smoker?

2# I'm just replying to points with other points. What's wrong with that? Can't you handle it?

3# What judgmental comments? And who are you to tell me how to act anyway? I'm not looking for soul mates here...

Woah, that is a great big wall of text to deal with, here is a bit more.

My experience with mj, is I used to grow it (and smoke daily), nice and organic, and smoke that stuff daily, but not first thing in the morning, but after work kind of smoke up.

So I had no need to get paranoid, I was smoking around good friends, in a quiet country acreage, or in friends houses in the city, and had no reason to think the popo were interested in our crew. Also smoking in beer gardens at hotels, and all my crew were doing it, so I had no reason to feel paranoid, because if one got busted, we all got busted.( and busted meant

$150 fine tops, so nothing to sweat)

Eventually, I started getting green/white outs, where I felt really sick, like a blood/sugar crash. I worked out that these greenouts only happend when I was dehydrated, ie after playing cricket all day, or going surfing/mountainbiking all day with a hangover.

The trigger was being dehydrated. Set & setting was always cool, but when my h2o liquids were down, I would greenout after a smoke. Sure as shit, even smokin my own home grown, I would greenout, and get so sick I needed to go home from wherevere I was.

So for my money, the reason most peeps green out, is like a blood/sugar crash, caused by dehydration.

As to d, it is so intense to smoke up, there is no time for paranoia, just stop fighting, and enjoy the ride

Edited by rogdog

My comment was directed at the folks referred to who smoke marijuana to reduce paranoia in their lives. I'm sure their are some folk with great successful lives who smoke chronic.

Who want to pull a veil over everything you mean?

I never said speed was healthier then pot. Pot was getting boring having smoked my whole teen years away so I decided to abuse amphetamines for a few years.

Doesn't this contradict what you earlier said?

I gave up pot because it was contributing to major speed psychosis and I was hearing voices all the time. I decided to give up the pot and kept on the speed for a few more years and the psychosis was much reduced.

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you didn't believe that speed was healthier than pot, then why did you keep on using it for so long?

How is that pot's fault?

I do not blame anything on pot, I take full responsibility for smoking it. This includes stopping smoking it when it no longer benefits me.

Okay. It just looked like you were is all.

If you can't fight while you're high, then you just haven't had enough practice.

Words are cheap.

Fair enough, I shouldn't have put it so simply. At the same time though, if a person is both a seasoned fighter and a seasoned smoker, then what's stopping them?

I went straight for 5 years from like 24 till 29. finished my uni degree and got myself a sweet job.

Are you sure about that?

Personally I started smoking marijuana when I was 13 years old and gave up when I was 21.

I've been straight now for around 4 months as I have family commitments to attend to which need my full attention.

I'm sure there are plenty of folk that could pull this off while caned on drugs but I can honestly say I'm not one of them. I only use drugs if and when they are going to benefit my life and the life of those around me. Its all part of growing up and taking on the responsibilities of an adult. For me at least.

IMHO, people should only get high about once a week. You get much more out of it that way. At least in the long run you do.

As for the non pot users experiences of dmt vs pot users experiences of dmt, i would think that there might be a problem finding many people who have tried d but not mary.

I agree that most people that are likely try changa would be marijuana smokers. This fact could potentially skew the perception of changa to that of the pot smoker across the entire range of its use. I also think that the smoking abilities and confidence of a pot smoker could greatly increase the effectiveness of their dose of Changa but this does not explain away the spirit of my observations as stated in my previous posts.

Mixing pot with psychedelics (including changa) has always given me positive experiences. That said though, I would never think of using skunk with a psychedelic. That would just be cluttered.

Is this question restricted to the changa/smoked dmt method of administration or do you include aya in it. I believe there would be many more not pot users that have had aya, than there are dmt smokers who have constantly passed the dutchie on the left hand side without having a toke.

I have also seen people respond this way while under the influence of aya but as the experience is not as accessible I do not have enough observations to form a valid opinion.

Besides the great harm/benefit ratios, psychoactives like aya and pot can't really be compared to eachother.

syncromesh it must be awful frustrating for you getting the wrong end of the stick all the time. I know it is getting so for me.

I'll try put some sense back into what I wrote.

Who want to pull a veil over everything you mean?

:scratchhead:

Doesn't this contradict what you earlier said?

I gave up pot because it was contributing to major speed psychosis and I was hearing voices all the time. I decided to give up the pot and kept on the speed for a few more years and the psychosis was much reduced.

No

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you didn't believe that speed was healthier than pot, then why did you keep on using it for so long?

I don't get where your coming from :scratchhead:. I was using drugs back then to smash my head in, but hearing voices all the time is a little over the top don't you think. Pot was boring, speed was fun, so I gave up the pot as the two together was tipping me over. I've already explained this once :scratchhead: .

Are you sure about that?

Personally I started smoking marijuana when I was 13 years old and gave up when I was 21.

Yes

I continued using speed until I was 24 then gave up all drugs. Like I said.

Mixing pot with psychedelics (including changa) has always given me positive experiences. That said though, I would never think of using skunk with a psychedelic. That would just be cluttered.

Here we have one pot user that has gained positive results using changa without hitting the wall of fear. Anyone else willing to put their hand up?

Besides the great harm/benefit ratios, psychoactives like aya and pot can't really be compared to each other.

We were not comparing them :scratchhead: We were discussing their interaction.

syncromesh you should should read what others write (or what I write at least) a little more objectively instead of putting it all into context of your own self. This could go on forever, if I had the time or will :unsure:.

• Like 1

i haven't *noticed* an obvious difference smoking dmt whether stoned or not, personally. i wouldn't call it a wall of fear but it never feels normal!

People who smoke cannabis are paranoid because it is illegal, plain and simple.

People who smoke cannabis are paranoid because it is illegal, plain and simple.

This week I had a patient contact me as a result of experiencing extreme paranoia after vaporizing three doses of medical marijuana using a vaporizer.    He explained that within a few minutes he started feeling “not in control of my body.”   He said he kept thinking that he was going to swallow his tongue and actually sat for 30 minutes holding the tip of his tongue.  He also was fixated on the fact that his heart was beating much faster and he was thinking that he was going to have a heart attack.   He said the paranoia laster for a solid hour until he just fell asleep.  It is difficult to say exactly what percentage of patients that use medical marijuana experience paranoia but I estimate it at about 6%.  READ ON…

In this case I think a couple of things contributed to his paranoia.  The first was that he took 3 doses right away.   Because there is no standard dosing and no way to know for sure how many milligrams of cannabinoids you are inhaling, it is difficult to know if you used just enough or too much.    What we recommend is that new patients use one dose (one inhalation) and wait a full 30 minutes before taking a second dose.   It takes about 30 minutes on average for cannabis to have its peak effects.

Secondly, my patient was given a strain of medical marijuana called sativa.   Sativas tend to have a higher concentration of THC which is the main psychoactive ingredient in the plant.  This leads to, in general, stronger psychoactive effects.

Why do some patients get paranoia and other don’t?   Scientists do know for sure yet (they probably would but lack of funds for studies limit its research) but think it may because of receptors in an area of the brain called the amygdala.

Link

Teotz, posted above is an explanation why legal medical marijuana could result in severe paranoia.

the conversation is going backwards now, hoorah

Agreed, its bordering on pathetic.

Spudamore, in your post 77 you are asking people to incriminate themselves.

This is against forum rules, you should know better.

He asked how much people use, which is not incriminating information in and of itself. I was under the impression that consumption of weed was not illegal, it was possession of it. If this were the case, people saying how often they smoke weed are not saying how much they possess, if indeed they possess any at all. They could go to a friend's and get high there etc.

syncromesh you should should read what others write (or what I write at least) a little more objectively instead of putting it all into context of your own self. This could go on forever, if I had the time or will :unsure:.

Hey, it's not my fault if you can't assert yourself more clearly...

i haven't *noticed* an obvious difference smoking dmt whether stoned or not, personally. i wouldn't call it a wall of fear but it never feels normal!

If you had hit the wall of fear you would sure now about it so you obviously haven't which is good to hear. The folks that have, when offered reply with statements like " how about you get f@&cked" and " take that shit away from me".

These guys were also chronic smokers so it would be difficult for them to compare changa while not under the influence given that thc stores for so long in body fat. Unless they gave up for a few months I guess. It would be interesting to know how often you can partake without thc building up to have constant subtle effects. This would be very difficult to determine as these suble effects would just blend into background noise under normal conditions.

Thunderideal, without knowing your smoking habits it would be difficult for me to integrate your experience into my theory. Currently it stands at pot smokers and non pot smokers as every pot smoker I know smokes chronic. Another factor would also be your opportunity to work things through with changa.

Edited by rahli

Some guidance in respect to this thread may be found in this exerpt by T.Leary

Edited by Mycot

good posts rahli

Mycot I'm looking forward to reading your contribution to the discussion.

Nay saying everyone that believes that marijuana use can result in paranoia does not cut it.

I can see a lot of the marijuana defenders are still under her spell. I was in the exact same position. Could see nothing wrong and everything right. But once I actually thought about it, and used real rational thought I could see that it was barely better than crack or smack. The final straw was deja vu, constantly and intensely for 60-90 minute periods.

-Unless you use a vaporizer, you're filling your lungs with crap. As you age, your lungs become less and less able to heal. It's pretty ungrateful - the lungs are your gateway to life. Show them some f**king respect.

-It's just chasing the dragon. It never gets better. It's always the same - or worse.

-It's physiologically addictive, and being an addicted person is weak. Don't kid yourself that it's not.

-If you're spending so many days of your life blazed (even just more than say 5-10 days a year) - then you're seriously being distracted from extreme, infinite, ever-growing happiness. This ultimate happiness can be found inside your mind, it was there all along. You just misplaced it - why don't you help other people to find their ultimate happiness? Personal development, not complacency with mediocrity. And this has nothing to do with getting rich (it's the opposite). The level of happiness you can reach with marijuana always goes down and is like 1/20th compared to revelatory experiences I've had. Those revelatory experiences keep getting better. There is no limit. :D

-Marijuana lowers your capability for active efficient thinking. The thinking is full of loops and habitual thoughts. Yes, I know performance has been tested in studies. But those studies use 4% THC. Hahahaha. Here's a real study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16572123

Good things about marijuana:

It provides pain relief (in which time you should solve the source of the pain as best as possible), it delays tumor growth, appetite creation, glaucoma medicine, it's cheap.

But essentially there's little justification to smoking it long-term being a good idea. There's so many things that can alleviate chronic pain that should be done first. Diet, whatever exercise can be done, meditation - try all those first with as much effort as you give to ripping bongs.