The Corroboree
Francois le Danque

The SAB slang thread

have noticed a rich array of slang occurring around here...most of it new to my ears (eyes?). just going to post some of the more memorable ones here, with definitions and examples. please feel free to add some more, and to claim credit for the ones of yours that i post, as i don't remember who said what.

Bamboo Schooner: A bong. From schooner, expensive new south welsh measure of beer, tall in shape; and the fact that some bongs are constructed out of bamboo. (note: i was going to post the genus name of bamboo, but there are 92 of the damn things! far out)

Hey bruh, pack us up another bamboo schooner ey?

Chat: Shit. Poor quality. From someone from Chatswood, a shit place in sydney (according to urban dictionary)

anyone who didn't go is a chat cunt

Fun Snorkel: A bamboo schooner. From the snorkular shape of some bongs.

Won't be in to work today...had too many fun snorkels last night

Pelican: A fool or floundering miscreant. Etymology unknown. Perhaps pelicans are amusing looking animals?

stop carrying on like such a fucken pelican ya chat cunt

Thunderbox: Latrine. From the thunderous sound of passing stool.

gunna spray chunks, where's the thunderbox??

that's all for now folks.

Edited by frank
  • Like 3

Chat: Shit. Poor quality. From someone from Chatswood, a shit place in sydney (according to urban dictionary)

anyone who didn't go is a chat cunt

I had no idea that orginated in Chatswood! It isn't shit though, it's like the CBD: an expensive hub that attracts all sorts including lads, unfortunately. It's apparently the best spot on the lower North Shore to sit with your feet on seats, smoking durries and scraping together enough change to buy a "pouch" (wine cask).

I doubt chat originated in chatswood lol it has been around for years.

Fuckin chat cunts hangin out with their nuff nuff mates, on tha gas an shit all tha time.

Durries gets used by a few ppl here occasionally, an old one.

Try searching "dick wads" haha, it was used a number of times here a few years ago........ not many dick wads left at SAB now though its all a bit sterile. :P Back in the times of pod tuesdays.

Not that its used here but when i was a young lad smokin pot in groups, the guy packin cones was usually known as Kerry ;) "Whos kerry? pack us up matey"

whos kerry"? is still used around these parts.

the bamboo in 'bamboo schooner' more refers to the actual pot.

slang i use on a nearly daily basis-

dead horse- tomato sauce

dogs eye- meat pie

carl malone- phone

uncle frank- bank

sky rocket- pocket

plates of meat- feet

oh a new one ive learned, legger- generally someone who doesnt have a job, car or push bike

and has to walk everywhere. usually with a dishevelled appearance. legger is working its way up to insult number one around thse parts.

Edited by incognito

haha incog, what about -

reg grundies - undies

shit tickets - toilet paper

snot rag - tissue

farmers hankie - When you hold one nostril and blow the snot out of the other nostril onto the ground

hah, the bush hankie! also known as snot rocket and flim jim.

leg it - to hastily leave an area, usually the scene of some crime or wrong-doing

it's got nobs on it - i'm not really sure how to explain this, if it doesn't immediately make sense to you then maybe it never will. i thought this one might have been pretty local but i was dismayed to see it used on a forum tonight.

i can't think of much off hand, i like a bit of slang though

Edited by ThunderIdeal

captain cook- a look

i..e "its subtime, time to get out and have a captain cook'

i used to work in a butchers shop after school for while, and the butchers there used to speak rhyming slan- BACKWARDS!!! u had to decode those mofos!!! they would have rivalled the navajo? indians in wolrd war 2 whom the rivals couldnt decode their messages. man that would make a great mvie. a parody maybee? just putting it out there. an ideas man u see.

i like rhyming slang. its fun.

edit... damn it theres one for a signature that gets around here...its on the tip of my toungue dammit.. its so gawdy and bizzare though verytime i hear it im like, "that the line i cannot coss" ive had a few folks say it when they mean signature and its really tripped me out....arghh itll come to me...

Edited by incognito

freckle = ass

Mal Meninga = finger

Hopoate = to stick ones mal meninga up a freckle

Edited by mac

haven't had such a good laugh for a good while, man i like oz english, good idea for a thread.

i realy needed that laugh!!!

Salad dodger - overweight person

heard that one from a british chef

lol salad dodger

wonder how many of these are the same in Oz

Hungus - to be greedy, a fiend

Durries - Cigarettes

Pouch - Roll Your Own ciggies

Goon - Cask wine

Billy - Water pipe

Rhyming slang is wicked, no one uses it round here though :(

captain cook- a look

i..e "its subtime, time to get out and have a captain cook'

i used to work in a butchers shop after school for while, and the butchers there used to speak rhyming slan- BACKWARDS!!! u had to decode those mofos!!! they would have rivalled the navajo? indians in wolrd war 2 whom the rivals couldnt decode their messages. man that would make a great mvie. a parody maybee? just putting it out there. an ideas man u see.

i like rhyming slang. its fun.

edit... damn it theres one for a signature that gets around here...its on the tip of my toungue dammit.. its so gawdy and bizzare though verytime i hear it im like, "that the line i cannot coss" ive had a few folks say it when they mean signature and its really tripped me out....arghh itll come to me...

don't people say john hancock? don't ask me why

dot - freckle

don't think i've heard it anywhere except here at SAB but gooch - perineum (chin-rest on a woman)

you could actually have a 'words for dicks' and 'words for boobs' thread and they'd go at least 10 pages

don't people say john hancock? don't ask me why

bingo! yes thunder it always throws me!! whats the history behind it? i dont get the assosciation...

"put yer ohn hanckock on this" i just stand there staring for about 10 seconds until the penny drops.

My link

Edited by incognito

"put yer ohn hanckock on this" i just stand there staring for about 10 seconds until the penny drops.

My link

Christ that's an obscure one. It'd make sense in one country.

Gooch is a pretty common one over here.

fernagle / phnagle (i dunno how to spell it. fa-nay-gl) - to attain or make it so, usually by delicately tweaking

"i fernagled my way into the pants of X sab member. actually to tell the truth, i was just in the room with them and they had fernagled my pepper spray out of hand's reach."

fair in the nuts/ hairy muff = fair enough. always cracks me up though ive never seen it used here

captain cook- a look

butchers hook = look

fandangle/jack & danny/snatch = vagina

Nutt custard/baby gravy = sperm

will think of more smut at a later date (time not ass/freckle) :lol:

An Australian (although created while in New Zealand) term:

Esky canary

aussie aussie aussie :slap: Edited by mac

"Waltzing Matilda" is Australia's most widely known bush ballad, a country folk song, and has been referred to as "the unofficial national anthem of Australia".[1]
The title is Australian slang for travelling by foot with one's goods in a "Matilda" (bag) slung over one's back.[2] The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker, or swagman, making a drink of tea at a bush camp and capturing a sheep to eat. When the sheep's ostensible owner arrives with three police officers to arrest the worker for the theft (a crime punishable by hanging[citation needed]), the worker commits suicide by drowning himself in the nearby watering hole, and then goes on to haunt the site.

dunno WTF Tom Waits was on about tho :scratchhead: Edited by mac

couple that are usually used in the same sentence :P

Jack and jills - pills

Warrick farm - arm

I guess with drug associated terms this thread could go on for some time

harry holt - to do the bolt, run, usually from the -

johnny hoppers - coppers

cooking fat ~ cat

:P

Whilst in the drink, A Noah's Arc bit my my Khyber Pass. ???? To Decipher... Having a swim and a Shark bit my Ass.