The Corroboree
solomon

Earthquake in Japan - Magnitude 8.9

That looks like the fuel refinery that exploded when I was watching TV and it was a huge mushroom cloud and looked like it was at least 400 meters high.

I hope our Japanese friends will be alright. But I do know they are better prepared for Earthquakes than New Zealand. Also, the 160x more energetic figure is pretty much correct. The Richter scale is logarithmic. Although after reading, Wiki says a magnitude difference of 2 is about 1000 times difference. :o

So it could be more.

I also hope they fix those reactors. I don't even know how I once supported nuclear power, things like this just highlight the danger (albeit less danger than coal).

OMFG!!!

Explosion reported at nuclear plant

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/japan-tsunami/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503051&objectid=10711892

Edited by bluntmuffin

I was just listening to the latest reports and now there are 2 nuclear reactors in meltdown.

People have been evacuated from the towns surrounding the reactors.

I don't know if it is just sensationalism but a reporter on ABC just stated it was 160 times stronger than the Christchurch quake.

That's funny, because now they're saying that it's 8000 times as strong...

Isn't the event already massive enough on its own grounds!? Why make up statistics to make it look massive, when it already is massive? Fuck I hate the news...

Surprise, surprise, an imminent meltdown?

:(

Can it get any worse? I truly hope not.

Apparently the earthquake was 8000 times more powerful than the one in Christchurch. :unsure:

I've always loved Japan and its truly heartbreaking to see all the awful scenes shown on tv

edited to say I must've been watching the same news as you synchro.

Terrible to compare tragedies, the news has pissed me off all day too, they've been saying some ridiculous shit.

Edited by meeka

There are a few simulations going around at the moment based on presumptive meltdown/explosion and current jet stream modelling (and Cs/I radioisotope detections).... I have no idea if they show a likely outcome but they are interesting anyway...

post-5043-0-67062100-1299928180_thumb.jp

Time for some of the US to start on some potassium iodide supplementation?

One news story

post-5043-0-67062100-1299928180_thumb.jpeg

post-5043-0-67062100-1299928180_thumb.jpeg

The discepancy about the relative size of the Japanese earthquake compared with the Christchurch one appears to arise from the different magnitudes determined for the Japanese one. There was initial confusion about how big it was, with the first reports saying that it was Richter magnitude 7.8, which is 177.8 times more energetic than the 6.3 Christchurch quake. The final determination of the Japanese quake's magnitude is 8.9, which 7943.3 times greater in energetic output than Christchurch.

For those who are sceptical about the claims, the equation for relative quake energies is D = 10(A x 3/2), where D is the size of the comparative difference in energy output, and A is the difference in the Richter magnitudes.

The discepancy about the relative size of the Japanese earthquake compared with the Christchurch one appears to arise from the different magnitudes determined for the Japanese one. There was initial confusion about how big it was, with the first reports saying that it was Richter magnitude 7.8, which is 177.8 times more energetic than the 6.3 Christchurch quake. The final determination of the Japanese quake's magnitude is 8.9, which 7943.3 times greater in energetic output than Christchurch.

For those who are sceptical about the claims, the equation for relative quake energies is D = 10(A x 3/2), where D is the size of the comparative difference in energy output, and A is the difference in the Richter magnitudes.

Mathematical calculations based purely on Richter readings can be a guide but they can't really give an accurate idea of how much energy has been released, they're just guesses really.

Those sort of calculations don't factor in the type of wave coming from the fault, duration of the event or the length of the fault.

For instance if 2 quakes of the same magnitude and wave type go for different durations then the quake that lasts a lot longer would obviously generate more energy.

Or a fault 100 Km long as compared to a 10 Km fault with identical Richter readings.

I'm not disputing it was big, but putting mathematical labels on the event is just a simplified attempt to quantify something with way too many variables.

An explosion that sent white smoke rising above the Fukushima Daiichi plant Saturday afternoon buckled the walls of a concrete building that surrounded one of the plant's nuclear reactors, but did not damage the reactor itself, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters.

The explosion was caused, he said, by a failure in a pumping system as workers tried to prevent the reactor's temperature from racing out of control.

The International Atomic Energy Agency, citing Japanese authorities, said the explosion occurred outside the plant's primary containment vessel and that the vessel remained intact. The explosion injured four workers, it said.

To limit damage to the reactor core, Tokyo Electric Power Company began injecting sea water mixed with boron into the primary containment vessel in an operation that got under way Saturday night, IAEA said.

The explosion in this case was from hydrogen that is used to cool the turbines in the generator building and did not affect the reactor core containment structure. Sufficient cooling water is now reaching the core and temperatures are dropping.

It's not clear what the extent of the damage within the core but it looks like at most its minor damage to the tops of the fuel assemblies. This is less damage than Three Mile Island. The releases are still in fact being filtered through the plants HEPA system which removes most of the radioactive contaminants.

The reactor was designed to be cooled with seawater in an emergency situation. This just means that it won't be usable for power production for a long time because seawater in the primary causes corrosion. The fact that they are just now using seawater in the primary hints at the fact that the actual situation is nowhere near as exciting as the media wants it to be.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html

sdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

They keep increasing the evacuation radius first 3km then 10km then 20 km last I heard, and now they are saying it's not so bad.

It seems a bit contradictory, they could be just playing it safe but it does seem a bit sus.

The Russians tried to keep Chernobyl quiet, but I think Swedish scientists picked up high levels of radiation, thinking it was their own reactor leaking and then they traced it back to Russia. Then the Russians lied about the amount of discharge and tried to downplay the severity until satellite pics showed the full extent of the damage.

I wouldn't trust any reports from anyone with a vested interest in the reactor.

Liability could be a big issue in the weeks and months to come so they will be putting a positive spin on things.

I bet insurance policies all around the world will get jacked to pay for this mess.

@Teljkon I believe I have felt the earth move several times in the last few months too.

Wow it sure was full-on... I dont watch TV so have missed alot of the footage, except what ive seen on youtube...

The poor Japanese, what a worry too with the radiation .Of course sounds like its being officially played down.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Huge-Japan-quake-spawns-tsunami/ss/events/wl/031111japanquake/im:/110312/photos_ts_wl_afp/2343c9668a341172ff2756a3dcb3bcd2/#photoViewer=/110312/481/urn_publicid_ap_org63cc7b50979c4ca0bbd30f0f84ff0999

*Some pics of cars on houses and huge ships being tossed around as if they had been play toys of Godzilla!

Apparently the company that runs the reactor TEPCO has a scetchy past and there has been scandal with falsified safety records at the Fukishima reactor.

We won't know the truth about what is really going on for ages or possibly we will never know.

Falsified safety tests at Fukishima

Tokyo Electric Power Company - Concealed lies

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77230.html

:o

Another reactor at Fukushima nuke plant loses cooling functions

TOKYO, March 13, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Sunday another reactor of its quake-hit Fukushima nuclear power plants had lost its cooling functions, while at least 15 people at a nearby hospital were found to have been exposed to radioactivity.

The utility supplier notified the government early Sunday morning that the No. 3 reactor at the No. 1 Fukushima plant had lost the ability to cool the reactor core. The reactor is now in the process of releasing radioactive steam, according to top government spokesman Yukio Edano.

It was the sixth reactor overall at the Fukushima No. 1 and No. 2 plants to undergo cooling failure since the massive earthquake and ensuing tsunami struck Japan on Friday.

The disaster raised fears over radioactive leaks from the plants after cooling systems there were hampered, most seriously at the No. 1 reactor.

An explosion Saturday at the No. 1 plant blew away the roof and the walls of the building housing the No. 1 reactor's container.

The government and nuclear authorities said there was no damage to the steel container housing the troubled No. 1 reactor, noting that the blast occurred as vapor from the container turned into hydrogen and mixed with outside oxygen.

Tokyo Electric Power has begun new cooling operations to fill the reactor with sea water and pour in boric acid to prevent an occurrence of criticality. Chief Cabinet Secretary Edano said in a press conference Sunday morning that there had been no major changes in the results of monitoring radioactivity near the No. 1 reactor.

Following the explosion, the authorities expanded from 10 kilometers to 20 km the radius of the evacuation area for residents living in the vicinity of the Fukushima plants.

The Fukushima prefectural government said Saturday that three people had their clothes contaminated with radioactive substances while fleeing from the No. 1 nuclear plant.

The Fire and Disaster Management Agency said Sunday that 15 people were found to have been contaminated at a hospital located within 10 km from the No. 1 reactor. Edano said there was a possibility that nine people who fled on a bus had been exposed to radioactivity.

The quake shifted the whole damn main island of japan by eight feet and shifted the earths axis. :BANGHEAD2:

Link

thanks for the link mycot , some serious shit goin down all over the world ...

this i found interesting and a bit of a worry.

http://www.realnewsreporter.com/?p=843

EARTHQUAKE WARNING FROM RUSSIAN INSTITUTE of PHYSICS of the EARTH

A new report released today in the Kremlin prepared for Prime Minister Putin by the Institute of Physics of the Earth, in Moscow, is warning that the America’s are in danger of suffering a mega-quake of catastrophic proportions during the next fortnight (14 days) with a specific emphasis being placed on the United States, Mexico, Central America and South American west coast regions along with the New Madrid Fault Zone region.

This report further warns that catastrophic earthquakes in Asia and the sub-continent are, also, “more than likely to occur” with the 7.3 magnitude quake in Japan today being “one of at least 4 of this intensity” to occur during this same time period.

Raising the concerns of a mega-quake occurring, this report says, are the increasing subtle electromagnetic signals that are being detected in the Earth’s upper atmosphere over many regions of the World, with the most intense being over the US Western coastal and Midwest regions.

Important to note are that Russian and British scientists are at the forefront of predicting earthquakes based on these subtle electromagnetic signals and have joined in an effort to put satellites in space to detect more of them.

More ominously in this report are Russian scientists confirming the independent analysis of New Zealand mathematician and long-range weather forecaster, Ken Ring, who predicted the deadly Christchurch quake and this week issued another warning of a quake to hit on or about March 20th.

Ring explains his methodology for predicting earthquakes as follows:

“The planets very much affect the earth, indirectly, by having an effect on the Sun. Some planets are very large. If the Sun was a basketball the gas giants Jupiter and Saturn would be the size of grapefruits, and the Earth would be, on that scale, the size of a peppercorn.

Jupiter and Saturn cause extra tides on the Sun when they get on either side of the Sun (as with Moon – Earth-Sun when the moon is full) and when these gas giants get on the same side as the Sun, (as with Earth -Moon – Sun when the moon is new). These greater solar tides become sunspot activity and solar flares and can be understood as akin to the increase in tides caused by the Moon when it too gets alongside Earth or opposite Earth.

At the moment we have Jupiter and Saturn on either side of the Sun and creating a tug of war with Earth in the middle. That started last September and will continue until about May. In September the Earth was right in line with Jupiter, Saturn and the Sun too.

That’s why there were several 7+ earthquakes around, it wasn’t just us. For instance there was one in Pakistan on the same day as Christchurch. This Jupiter/Saturn alignment continues until about May, and the Earth comes back into line as well in March. It is why there may be an extreme event, perhaps a large earthquake, around 20 March, which is when the Moon may be again in a trigger position.”

According to this report, however, where Ring is correct in assessing blame for our Earth’s earthquakes on the Sun and Planets, his substituting of Perigean Spring Tides (also known as King Tides) for the low pressure systems associated with them may be incorrect.

The mention in this report of massive low pressure systems being associated with catastrophic earthquakes is especially dire to the United States Midwestern region, which even today is continuing to be pounded by horrific rainfall amounts, and most especially impacting the New Madrid Fault Zone State of Arkansas which has suffered over 800 earthquakes in the past 6 months alone.

Equally in danger, this report continues, is the South American Nation of Bolivia which has, likewise, suffered catastrophic low pressure system storms that in the past week have killed over 52 people.

Most ominous in this report, though, is its warning that the fault-riddled State of California may be about to suffer its most catastrophic earthquake in decades as new reports for this region show the mass death of millions of fish [photo bottom left] is now occurring, and just like the mass stranding of whales on New Zealand beaches days prior to the February 22nd destruction of Christchurch.

Making the situation for our Planet even grimmer are the reports that our Sun is continuing to spew forth massive solar flares, the latest warned to hit our Earth today or tomorrow thus prompting the Hermanus Space Weather Warning Centre (SWWC) to issue a Solar Flare warning for the Southern Hemisphere.

Interesting to note in all of these events is the United States Army announcing this week that it is holding a rare training event involving the US Military, the CIA, Canadian officers, US Treasury and State departments, the US Agency for International Development, the Defense Threat Readiness Agency and the International Red Cross between March 21-25 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and which should the worst happen they will certainly be prepared for it.

As this report concludes, that as of yet, “no firmly reliable” method for predicting earthquakes has been scientifically recognized, it is well worth noting the too many to be ignored anomalous coincidences leading up to catastrophic mega-quakes are breaking out all over the World and should only be ignored at ones peril.

• Like 1

2 weeks, that's the sort of prediction I like, nice and snappy.

Hope they're wrong and the Earth is all fine and dandy from now on though. :unsure:

Wish I hadn't read that.

I got kids to worry about :(

and whats this about something terrible could happen on the 20th March?

Is this seriously likely or what?

Are you referring to this meeka? 'Ken Ring, who predicted the deadly Christchurch quake and this week issued another warning of a quake to hit on or about March 20th'.

Apparently this guy has been fairly acurate so far( just from what my New Zealand in-laws have told me) So yes, it is likely that the poor buggers in NZ are in for another rock of the cradle around the 20th March. Don't be planning a holiday in NZ ( Christchurch), just for a little while.

I was looking up next earthquakes and came across a site called Transparency:Where Will the next earthquake hit ?

After looking at this site I had turned to my fiancée and said that the next big quake will hit on the west coast of America along the San Andreas fault.

It was really strange cause as I said it to him. he said it too me and he was not in the same room as me.

With hearing today about Japan moving 8 feet to the East it make me wonder how much pressure it has put on the plates along the west coast of America.

How long it will be before it lets go and relieves the pressure ?

I'm not disputing it was big, but putting mathematical labels on the event is just a simplified attempt to quantify something with way too many variables.

It's also a nasty way to lessen the tragedy of Christchurch.

It's also a nasty way to lessen the tragedy of Christchurch.

Synchro, I didn't see it as the media trying to lessen the tragedy of Christchurch, but rather as trying to put the stupifying enormity of the Japanese earthquake into context.

Edited by WoodDragon

Why, because footage of ships inside of the city (etc) doesn't already tell us that?

2012-movie-stills13.jpg