The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adios

Australians Only!

Why do you Australians not send items to any one who does not live in Austrailia or close by?

I feel like a idiot here because I can't understand why not!

The cost of postage could be an issue and then there's quarantine&customs issues.

I've sent stuff all around the world with mixed success so it can be a gamble as to whether it will get there.

^^^^ But have you sent to the north pole. Santa is putting in orders early this year. It appears that his elves are having problems getting the garden sorted with all the GW.

:P:P:P:P Yes, might have trouble with say caapi where you are.

And yes quarantine is a hassle most of us couldn't be bothered dealing with.

Its cause Australia is fucked and we cant get nothing in let alone out...

Our costumes and our laws are a wetdream for human rights campaigners.

IMO most backwards country in the world in relation to laws like that.

In my years of experience the aussies here are very generous and generally not unduly impeded by someone living in the US or elsewhere... unless, of course, the prospective recipient is an ass hole- that screws up trades on any forum :P

As a USAdian I've done many trades and given and received many gifts with aussies here. Trick is being a relatively inoffensive person and being an active member of the community :wink:

As for stuff like the phleb seed your all worked up about, can you blame him? For the most part Oz is the best place to try to grow the things and have a chance at them reaching maturity. Let the aussies try to save their endangered species and in the mean time get acuminata, obtusifolia, floribunda, longifolia, etc, etc, etc. to grow where you are.

That's not true!!

I have been sent cacti or seed for free by certain members here.

I don't feel at all like that for this forum in particular.

oops double

This is an Australian site. There are many international ethnobotany sites and also ethnobotany sites which are focused on other countries. While we are very fortunate to have many members from other countries, the fact remains that the bulk of the membership and the physical location that the site is operated from is in Australia.

Because it is quite difficult to import plant materials into Australia, due to the distance, as well as very strict quarantine and customs laws, sending them out will usually be a one way trade. Some people are generous and will be happy to do that, others won't. If you want to trade internationally, then you should join an international forum. Otherwise you may sometimes find a member here who is happy to send things internationally, but don't complain if you don't.

Hi Adios, i respectfully disagree with all my heart. :lol: Sure, many members send free giveaways to australian members only because of the shipping costs. But i dont see that many foreign members who are willing to ship free giveways to Australia either. I know a few cool international members who did that though and i also wouldnt want to judge people on what they are willing to give or what not. I even had one awesome hero sending me a huge box of cacti once... :wub:

Besides, it can be a problem for the Australians if a letter or a package doesnt get picked up and goes back to the sender. Some species are legal to export but not to import and thats how it would be considered by customs or quarantine. An import.

I sometimes see people raise their hands for freebies that are never to be seen again after they got what they wanted. And we also have some foreign lurkers who created their account only for making trades. And i dont see a point sending someone free stuff on my expenses who neither is a posting part of this community nor wants to become one. But if you are a regular member, im sure that most Australians would send trades internationally. Even without you being the one covering the costs most of the time. It just depends on who is asking...Not saying your a lurker because i dont know how your posting ratio is going to be. The point is that i wouldnt want to send someone seeds who never bothered to talk to me before and probably wont after he got the trade. Just make some friends and the oportunities to trade come naturally. bye Eg

I have sent lots of things overseas, I will send anything as long as the receiver checks their own laws regarding the import.

it was a bit of a novelty but I met someone on one of these forums and sent some fungi cultures to rural Namibia. it took close to 2 months but it got there and grew more mushrooms than i ever could!

maybe you just need to ask? :)

ive sent overseas,maybe tryn be nice bout how ya ask,cause the above aint :wave-finger:

austrailians are awesome,.... but so are the others here.... cept maybe the odd greek,.....< that's a joke mutant!

btw Muto.... I know I have been lagging with the Caapi ,... it's probably the distrust in your economy or something LOL...... no seriously,... I have tried rooting caapi cuts and have failed ...... and as you know I have been moving..and building a small apartment which made my plants fall from the priorities list. < (please dont boooo me plant lovers! hahaha)

Good news is.... I have a caapi stem in the ground that I did not cut off from the motherplant yet.... so this time it shouldnt die on me.

The way Australia works-

1- person gets lucky and imports a rare seed from overseas which makes it through customs.

2- person germinates and grows seed into a tree/plant. (may take several years)

3- person waits for seeds.

4- person gathers seeds, plants some and sends some off to friends to grow.

Repeat step 2-4.

Fast forward 40 years....

That rare plant is now considered just another plant in your average person's garden, being passed around as often as brug seeds.

Australians keep to ourselves since everything we have usually ends up being taken away by our government, we dont need to be worsening the situation by giving the government an actual reason for outlawing certain plants..

"the continuing exportation of plant material out of australia is damaging (insert random country)'s natural surroundings with a super strong form of the australian acacia killing off all indigenous plants".

Its said that one of the main factors behind the california wild fires that took place some years ago was due to california planting eucalypt tree's in their forests.

www>

"never trust a hippie" , lol :rolleyes:

seriously mate, don't worry at all. I am pretty busy with all of my plants, plans, life and have rooted couple of argyreias and turbinas, so the vine addiction is to be satisfied this year.

The caapi can wait - besides, maybe I am not ready for it yet. maybe this is too the reason that I have failed my attempts with peganum harmala, and this even if I got a couple of plants going mature - I didn't try too much to please them.

wow, just realized I'm responding to a 4 month old post, lol

Yep ulca's comment pretty much sums it up. Australia = very strict customs and laws. They say there's no such thing as a dumb question, but I'm not so sure about OP