Wattle We Ban Next?

I like the flashmob idea.

attach it to some deep uncosncious metaphor,

placing strategic sigils

that hijack large bodies of preexisting

outrage and upsurgence

along with some very specific calls to action

based in exposing very simply

the draconian police state reality we were allowing..

• Like 1

Does anyone know the time frame for the review process? if the public comments close on the 11th March. what happens from there adn when do they become law?

Does anyone know the time frame for the review process? if the public comments close on the 11th March. what happens from there adn when do they become law?

Torsten answered this question in another thread. I post the reply here for completeness...

the guesstimates are not quite right. Usually the review process will take about 6 months. Then a bill gets drafted and then it has to pass parliament. I would say that it would take at least 9 months if they were in a big hurry. Given that this law includes a lot of stuff about drug trafficking and precursors i think this is a law that will be dealt with VERY quickly. however, I am personally not planning at anything under 12 months. But it could quite easily be 18 months. because of the precursor stuff i don't think it will be much longer than that.

There will be plenty of opportunity for updates along the way. I know people who will lodge an FOI request for the summary as soon as this is out. That will give us some idea how much pressure was being created. Then the draft bill will be released. This will also be known to us. Then eventually the bill will go to parliament. Once decided it will then become law at a specified date thereafter. It may even include a grace period. It may yet include a legitimate use clause. The whole plant section of it may just be turfed out if we make enough noise.

Change hey,

Plants that we know, know about change.

Fully respect the resesitance to these LAWS :P

But hey at the end of the day it makes the community closer, and whatever the governments say plants dont give a fuck they keep on planting.

There here and here to stay.

If anything its more advertisement, australia the land of the free and the land of dimitri.

It'll be the start of another migrant exodus :bong::P

• Like 1

Come on guize , Oztralia was n always has been a penis colony why change now? lets embrace these new laws, worship the queen and be done with all the fussing and fighting , these plants and their damn complex derivatives are a threatening our national identity as rum drinkin, sodomy lovin society , now how about raisin that freakin flag and saluting the jewish....i mean British empire for once and for all and just move the farkk away from nature , cum on maaan

As a relatively simple idea, I walk most places I go (combination of an ecosuperiority complex and lack of funds) and I'm always spotting the happy ethno's growing in yards and what the council believes is a garden (looks more like a pile of woodchips with a few mexican/african/anywhere-but-australian plants protruding). Needless to say a large number of private gardens and council spaces in my area have these plants. Even more interesting my local council has put commemorative plaques around promoting the indigenous culture that they dessimated and there connection to the "Winnam" tree (Pandanus utilis I believe) which is on the list.

So if I (and others who relate to this OCD-like behaviour of plant identification) went and slapped a piece of paper on all the soon to be scheduled plants I see when I'm out and about saying something along the lines of "How will you prove that your not producing illicit substances from this plant" or "This plant is soon to be illegal, speak out now" kind of thing (obviously with more info and appropriate details), do the fine members of this space believe this could inspire/scare average joe dick and jane fanny to directly oppose this bullshit?

Afterthought: Would this not be one of the first umbrella laws like this they've tried to introduce since this massive rise of social media? Isn't the middle east and africa scary/inspiring atm? Didn't those massive and originally peaceful (at least on the part of the protesters) demonstrations start from facebook and twitter? Wouldn't it be that much scarier to fight for your beliefs in a land where you can trust your guv to shoot you and your family in broad daylight than it would be in a land where we're ruled by a fat-assed dom and her pet swan whose major political abilities are backstabbing and yelling about scare campaigns started by anyone who opposes them? Basically, the question is not is the world fair, only if you will fight for the rights of others. (or maybe I'm just to stupid to keep my head down?)

Edited by Frank Costanza's Lawyer
  • Like 1

interesting point FCL^

my local police station has a massive garden and it has by quick count around 50 wattle about 10-15 foot high growing within these gardens, unfortunately its probably not going to be as simple as 50 dope plants growing in a police garden but i see the irony.

not sure what the acacias are, prolly saligna by the looks of, still its a interesting conundrum.

interesting point FCL^

my local police station has a massive garden and it has by quick count around 50 wattle about 10-15 foot high growing within these gardens, unfortunately its probably not going to be as simple as 50 dope plants growing in a police garden but i see the irony.

not sure what the acacias are, prolly saligna by the looks of, still its a interesting conundrum.

Actually it is as simple as that, a scheduled plant is a scheduled plant, period.

Why you have it is irrelevant, possession is an offence.

But it may take an almighty push to get charges laid though.

Edited by shortly

it would make a great defence in court though: "and here I present evidence that the same plants I am being charged with are growing in the backyard of my local police station - can I go home now...."

If anyone knows any federal MPs, lives near partliament house or any other major federal institutions, could you please peruse the landscaping and obtain picture proof of any questionable plants. I would like to put them into a media release. Pictures should clearly show the federal building as well as the plant.

Would it be a good idea to put posters on the affected trees inside of botanic gardens (with permission)? Maybe something like:

THIS TREE IS ABOUT TO BE BANNED

...something about law change, affected species and their importance and what can be done to stop this blanket mass-criminalizing law change

Sounds good to me! :wink:

Regarding the flash mob idea, I think that it would work best if we did a few different ones at once. E.g. Two themed and one not. What do others think?

Edit: Think of this idea what you will, but it's still an idea:

We all continuously post phalaris (for example) to the offices of the main people connected to the proposal. And we don't stop until the proposal is abolished. Shawshank Redemption anybody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNmBqi1tM1A

Or how about the "Nuts for Jericho" campaign?

B)

Edited by synchromesh

THIS TREE IS ABOUT TO BE BANNED

...something about law change, affected species and their importance and what can be done to stop this blanket mass-criminalizing law change

Heck, you could blanket botanic gardens and nurseries with such signs... From gardenfreedom:

Acanthaceae

* Justicia – Justicia pectoralis

Aizoaceae (Ice Plants)

* Delosperma – D.acuminatum, D.cooperi, D.ecklonis, D.hirtum, D.tradescantioides & 5 others.

Graminae (Grasses)

* Arundo donax (Giant Reed)

* Bromus sp (Lawn winter grass)

* Digitaria sp

* Hierochloe sp (Vanilla Grass)

* Phalaris – P.aquatica, P.arundinacea, P.canariensis, P.minor, P.paradoxa, P.stenoptera, P.truncata, P.tuberosa

* Phragmites – P.australis (Common Reed)

Leguminosae (Wattles & Peas)

* Acacia – A.angustissima, A.baileyana, A.longifolia, A.maidenii, A.obtusifolia, A.phlebophylla, A.sophorae, A.victoriae, & 15 others

* Anadenanthera – A.colubrina, excelsa peregrina

* Caesalpina – C.pulcherrima (Leopard Tree)

* Calliandra – C.pentandra (Powderpuff)

* Desmanthus -D.cooleyi, D.illinoensis, D.leptolobus, D.velutinus (Grazing legumes)

* Desmodium – D.caudatum, D.gangeticum, D.gyrans, D.pulchellum. (Grazing legumes)

* Gleditsia – G.triacanthos

* Lespedeza – L.bicolor

* Mimosa – M.nigra, M.pudica, M.scabrella, M.verrucosa & 5 others. (Sensitive Plants)

* Mucuna – M.pruriens

* Petalostylus – P.labicheoides

* Swainsona – S.galegifolia

* Wisteria sp

Malphigiaceae

* Banisteriopsis – B.muricata

Myristicaceae (Nutmeg family)

* Osteophleum – O.platyspermum

* Virola – V.calophylla, V.carinata, V.peruviana, plus 8 other species

Ochnaceae

* Testuea – T.gabonensis

Pandanaceae (Screwpines)

* Pandanus – P.utilis, P.odoratissima

Polygonaceae (Buckwheat family)

* Erigonum sp

Rubiaceae (Coffee family)

* Antirhea – A.lucida

* Psychotria – P.alba, P.viridis

Rutaceae (Citrus Trees)

* Evodia – E.rutaecarpa

* Limonia – L.acidissima

* Vepris ampody

* Zanthoxylum – Z.arborescens, Z.procerum

Violacea (Violet family)

* Rinorea viridiflora

And that's aside from the cacti and brugs.

Edited by WoodDragon

Yeah, but the notices could always say something like this:

Related species " ", " " and " " are also set to be banned, and you can find them 5 metres to your right.

How good would it be if all of the Botanic Gardens made up their own notices. Just imagine the impact which that would have. :)

Edited by synchromesh

they are banning leopard trees. THE CUNTS.

i have a day off today so i'm going to go get my printing done and go to the bot. gardens. having a list like that will help make my point to the employees there, and at nurseries too.

sdfsfsd

Edited by Teljkon

I'd be careful sending "small samples", because it could easily be misconstrued as demonstrating that the plants have the capacity for being trafficked. It's exactly the sort of mindset that such types are predisposed to, so receiving a "small package" would reinforce in their minds the justification for the proposals.

However...

If one sent them an archival-quality herbarium mount of a sprig of flowering wattle, or of wisteria, or of a delospermum, or of a wisteria, or of a violet, and include typical herbarium data such as the location of parent plant (somewhere where its innocent existence is highlighted would be good), then they might react more positively.

The idea is to make these people realise that the plants are favourites of huge numbers of innocent gardeners, and ubiquitous across the Australian landscape, and irrelevant to organised crime, and insignificant to adverse health outcome statisitics.

To do this the samples need to look as much as possible like the plants with which people are familiar. They need to be reminded of the legitimate reasons why the plant are loved.

Personally, I think that it would be easier to gather a collection of easily recognisable, high quality photographs of the DMT-containing plants in order to do this exercise. Photographs from the gardens of pollies, law professionals, and other pillars of society would be interesting. That way it would be possible to put them into their innocuous garden (or private bush) context, and emphasise the ridiculous nature of the proposals.

Wouldn't sending samples be illegal? Even it's got a tag on on it, it's still a preparation. I like the idea of photographs. Both in their natural habitat, and also in police stations and the gardens of federal institutions. I don't think it would be a good idea to take photos of politicians's private gardens. It might come across as threatening :devil:

How would it be illegal? The plants aren't... At least not yet...

Preparations of DMT are illegal. If you harvest a piece of plant material from a DMT containing plant then you are in ossession of a dmt containing preparation [harvesting = preparation]. That is it in a nutshell. if you want more details please see the numerous other threads that have dealt with this topic as it is usually exactly the same questions [usually even in the same order].

Sorry, Torsten. I guess I just forgot that it was that simple. That or I'm still having trouble comprehending the insanity of it all... :wacko::BANGHEAD2:

Sorry, Synchro, I probably didn't make the point about preparations clear when I was speaking about "small samples".

Personally, I wouldn't be sending anything that could be remotely construed as DMT-containing to a politician! It begs the question though, that even pressing a violet and attaching it to a love letter might be construed as "preparation"...

:rolleyes:

Hey, I just realised - I've seen violets pressed into hand-made gift-wrapping paper...

Are gift shops now suppliers?