The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Can gallery images be deleted?

I don't use the gallery at all, so it would be great if someone else can answer this.

i cant figure out how to either,im sure at one stage i could edit my gallerys to replace a pic with another pic,but now i cant even edit the captions

i cant figure out how to either,im sure at one stage i could edit my gallerys to replace a pic with another pic,but now i cant even edit the captions

right hand side of the photo, 'mod options' 'edit photo', you can do the captions etc there, but the bottom edit one won't get you to those options.

in the mod edit photo, the image upload is blank, maybe you could overwrite the previous image in that?

I've never been able to delete them (well never figured it out if it is possible)

I really don't like the idea of not being able to delete images uploaded to the web. Surely there's way to do it?

So the consensus is that once an image to the galery is uploaded, it cannot de deleted? Surely there is a way...

it seems that way,but they can definitly be edited to be replaced by another pic.

go to my settings,manage attachments

there are all your pix on the site find your gallery pix and delete.

oops that's wrong, my bad, cant find my gallery pix in that list, sorry :slap:

Edited by Moses

There'd have to be a way for the owner or developer to get in there even if the general public can't.

anyone had any luck with this? would be good to solve the mystery of the undeletable images :BANGHEAD2:

I checked my notes, so here is the situation.

to stop people from trashing their galleries and the comments people have left there it is impossible to delete pics. This is for the same reason as the delete restrictions on the forums. However, it should be possible for the owner to replace images if there was an upload mistake. For any real nasties you can request admin to delete.

what is the pic/s you are trying to delete?

None specifically, but I don't like the idea of uploading my own photos and not having the ability to delete if I wish. I think that if someone uploads an image owned by themselves, they should have the power to remove it if they want, as it is their image. I suppose there is probably some clause in the terms and conditions of this forum that once an image is uploaded here, it become property of the forum, or public property through CC.

At any rate, I'll keep uploading to other image hosting websites and link to them, so that I can delete an image if I so wish.

The problem is that this is not just gallery, but also the source for many images on the forums. There are also lengthy discussion and comment in the gallery itself. So while you might own the image, the other people own everything else. By deleting the image you trash everyone else's efforts.

Every year we have members who have a tantrum and go and delete everything they posted. By making it more difficult to do this we have had a lot less such selfish actions. It is still possible, but it takes a lot more time and rather than being anonymous, it leaves a trace of what was done.

If you really don't want your pic there anymore then you can substitute it. This will preserve the comments and will clearly show that the owner sabotaged the community. And like I said if there is a problem in regards to legality or some other reason that requires a delete then let me know.

Many other forums prevent you from editing after a few minutes. I considered that option, but prefer the current one due to the nature of the forum.

Oh, I understand the logic behind the reason, but I just don't care to upload a photo of mine which I cannot later delete if for some reason I choose to. Obviously, I've uploaded a few personal photos to the gallery, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Offsite hosting works well for me, so shall continue to use that service. I'm not the sort of person who would delete images in a thread unless I felt there to be a valid reason to do so. Mostly, I do like sharing my photos when I think there will be interest, or when I think they make a worthy contribution, but despite that, I still want to have jurisdiction over whether the image stays or not. Having the ability to substitute the image is good though, at least there is an option there.

On a slight tangent, but why are we unable to edit thread titles?

On a slight tangent, but why are we unable to edit thread titles?

because you haven't worked out that you can if you use the FULL EDITOR :P

first i've heard about that, cool. assuming you just recently figured that out :P

because you haven't worked out that you can if you use the FULL EDITOR :P

No, I've tried that. Actually, I just tried that again to double check. Seems that I'm unable to do it, unless there's another button that needs to be clicked once inside the full editor...?

sorry to be so vague on these issues, but as admin my profile can do a lot of thigns no one else can do so I can't face these issues on a regular basis. In fact I think I need to create a test account to get a better grasp.

I thought titles could be edited, but I also remember that we had a few cases of people using changed titles to mislead readers, so I must have locked them down. Thank the people who think it is hilarious to abuse these features, like Huichol Eyebrow for example who was one of the title changing morons as far as I remember. Most of the restrictions are due to people abusing them to the detriment of others.

If the concensus is that title editing should be brought back and instead we deal with offenders more severely then I am happy to go with that option.

I would actually also like to introduce the feature where editing after a certain time frame is impossible. Maybe 48h or even a week. That way members can edit mistakes, but they can't trash threads going back months just because they have a tantrum.

If the concensus is that title editing should be brought back and instead we deal with offenders more severely then I am happy to go with that option.

Perhaps a poll could be made to gauge interest?

I would actually also like to introduce the feature where editing after a certain time frame is impossible. Maybe 48h or even a week. That way members can edit mistakes, but they can't trash threads going back months just because they have a tantrum.

Personally, I would hate that feature, much as like I dislike not being able to delete gallery images. As an example of when editing at a later date is useful, my recent cactus sale thread took me some days to complete, adding to it gradually as I got time to take more photos, etc. Then several days later, to make it easier to look at, I edited the first post to only have what was actually remaining. If a limited time frame for editing were introduced, I would not have been able to do that. I also like being able to edit out everything from a sale thread, so that pictures of what I had are no longer available for viewing. I don't see this as trashing the thread, as the thread is transient in nature anyway and does not contribute to the wealth of information on this site; it is purely a transaction thread. I understand where you are coming from, but it is frustrating to have options limited, just because a few people wreck it for everyone else. If you were to introduce such a feature, could the time frame be extended?

I can set the time frame to whatever we want. even 4 weeks would still prevent most of the trashing we have experienced.

I am open to suggestions. The on topic discussions are the main part of the forum I want to protect, so the trading forum may not end up with the perfect functionality for its purpose in the end. But I am happy to try different methods and see what works best.

I'd also be happy to expand the rules a bit to make it clear that such sabotage is a bootable offence.

Are you able to apply different settings to different forums, or do the settings by default affect the entire forum? That is, could you give the trading forum different rules to the other forums?

Four weeks seems pretty fair to me. Might make a poll for both title editing and the length of the time frame for editing a post in this forum if you have no objections.

i'd prefer to be able to edit posts indefinitely. it would be convenient if you could just reverse the changes if somebody has a tantrum, rather than imposing blanket restrictions.

That is definitely my preference too ThunderIdeal, but if restictions must be brought in, 4 weeks seems alright.

I am confused. I thought you were referring to a limited time frame for editing thread titles, not threads/posts.

Edited by Amazonian