The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rabaelthazar

Maggoty things in subs

SWIPMBFASWSI has picked a decent number of subs over the past few weeks and last night when I, oh, I mean he :innocent_n: went to check out the batch furthest along in the drying process, he found a little maggoty thing living where the stem meets the cap. Upon closer inspection, he found that there were a few dwelling in there. Ewww. :puke:

Anyhoo, he went through the whole lot opening the stems and inspecting each and every sub in that batch and found about 10% of them had these maggoty things in them. Not being at all a fan of little white grubs, he discarded the spoilt ones and kept the ones that he'd verified as grub free. Tonight, he went and had another look and in one of his "verified" ones, lo and behold!!! a maggoty thing. I'm assuming that some insect laid its eggs in the sub while it was still fresh and now, a week later, the eggs are hatching.

Has anyone come across these before and what have you done? More importantly, do you think the maggots are tripping balls?

I don't want to discard anything I don't need to. Is there a way to:

a ) treat the subs after collection to stop eggs from hatching?

b ) id infested shrooms before collecting?

Alternatively, would you just consume, maggot and all, kinda like a tequila worm?

Edited by Rabaelthazar

As I always ask, would you eat a rotten, maggot-ridden apple? If so, then you shouldn't have problems with the mushrooms. They are unlikely to cause you illness.

I don't want to discard anything I don't need to. Is there a way to:

b ) id infested shrooms before collecting?

a ) Dry them out. The maggots can't live without moisture.

b ) Yes, look at them carefully before picking them. Check their gills, etc.

Edited by tripsis

Use the search engine.. This has been discussed pretty thoroughly..

"fungus gnats"

it's virtually impossible to pick shrooms without maggots, unless you just pick the unopened babies.

as the shrooms dry most of the maggots will crawl out ov them, those that don't...well once they're bone dry & ground to a powder you wont be able to tell maggot from shroom.

Just eat them, maggots and all. It's not like they'll survive your GI juices and breed inside you.

Make an offering to the maggot God.

Then munch em down :)

Foaf keeps different grades when picked.

Fresh,

massive mega mumma's

and magotty, dry or otherwise crappy ones.

Grade-A babies go into honey

the rest get immediately dried

and substandard grade get an alcohol extraction.

tear off the stems and discard. why bother with em. :o

as the shrooms dry the maggots crawl off elsewhere. wouldn't worry about them too much.

Get the infested ones and go throw them in places that look like good sub enviroment, but where you've never seen them grow before.

That's what I usually do with the majority, whenever I find subs these days.

Use the search engine.. This has been discussed pretty thoroughly..

"fungus gnats"

Whoops, sorry, my bad. I've gone back and got some good ideas. Good ideas on this thread too.

I think my problem is that this year I'm using a different drying method (child friendly, inside a locked cupboard) and they're taking much longer to dry than in previous years. I think I'll go and fork out for a dehydrator.

"tear off the stems and discard. why bother with em" - I love chewing stems, Compost, maybe it's all that maggoty goodness that I'd never been aware of in the past.

"Yes, look at them carefully before picking them. Check their gills, etc" - Thanks Tripsis. Hmmm... what would you look for in particular? All specimens looked good at first. Anything that looked damaged or too old stayed in the ground or got thrown back. There was plenty of choice and I stuck with just what I thought to be the primo selection.

"Get the infested ones and go throw them in places that look like good sub enviroment, but where you've never seen them grow before." - great idea, Jabez.

Thanks everyone else for your input too.

Edited by Rabaelthazar

tear off the stems and discard. why bother with em

usually the maggots are in the soft flesh ov the cap, think about it, older shrooms always have the cap eaten to shreds but the stem fairly intact.

also many folks believe that the majority ov the goodies are actually in the stem, in Amsterdam they grow Cubensis in conditions that cause them to have thumb thick stems w/very tiny caps.

rack them up and snort through left nostril.

rack them up and snort through left nostril.

Thanks for the tip, Incognito. Tried it and it was a very pleasant, mellow high, but oh god, ....the drip!! :wink:

Edited by Rabaelthazar

The use of a fan can dry the mushroom enough so that it is to dry for the maggies to eat...

also many folks believe that the majority ov the goodies are actually in the stem, in Amsterdam they grow Cubensis in conditions that cause them to have thumb thick stems w/very tiny caps.

Wouldn't that just be Penis Envy?

I've read a lot of anecdotal reports saying that Penis Envy is stronger than your average cube, never heard it rationalised like that before though.

They must be the happiest maggots in the country.

Distracted mentioned penis envy having large stems, a lot of others have large stems aswell, some much bigger. Penis envy is a bit of a novelty especially Albino penis envy

Penis envy can be strong, but B+ is reputed to be one of the strongest cubes. It also depends on the substrate they grow on.

There is a few newer ones(hybrids) that are said to be much stronger.

Psychadelic insect larvae, I wonder what percentage psilocybin they would contain.

castenada claimed not to smoke so much mushrooms as the remains after the mushrooms had been eaten by the little maggots.

maggot shit,dead maggots and bits of rotted fruits.

only report i've come across claimed smoking it was more potent than smoking plain dried fruit of the same species.

t s t .