The Corroboree
-YT-

Scientology: The Ex-Files

article

Scientology: The Ex-Files

Reporter: Quentin McDermott

Broadcast: 08/03/2010

Reporter Quentin McDermott talks to men and women who were members of an elite unit inside the Church in Australia and the United States. They explain why they joined, how they worked tirelessly for Scientology, and how, in some cases, they were pressured, and pressured others, to hand over hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Church.

Some of them describe the separation from relatives that occurs when they were expelled from the Church. They also describe how they worked long hours, for little pay. Others claim they were pressured into having abortions, because of a policy that forbids the raising of children within the unit. Some of these men and women are now taking the church to court in the United States over claims involving this type of treatment. The Church is contesting the court actions.

The Church of Scientology was set up in the United States in 1953 by former science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. It claims to have millions of followers worldwide. High profile supporters include actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta. Scientologists believe in past and future lives, and in "clearing the planet" of evil influences.

"Man is basically good and the individual's a spiritual being, you've lived before and you'll live again, and your capabilities are infinite if not yet fully realised."

The Church says its influence around the world is growing. But it is also gathering powerful critics. In Australia Independent Senator Nick Xenophon has called for a parliamentary inquiry. In doing so he told the Senate:

"What we are seeing is a worldwide pattern of abuse and criminality. On the body of evidence this is not happening by accident; it is happening by design. Scientology is not a religious organisation. It is a criminal organisation that hides behind its so-called religious beliefs."

The Church of Scientology denied the charges and was given leave to respond in Hansard to Senator Xenophon's comments.

In Monday night's program, an early member of the Church's internal religious unit tells Four Corners that in her experience, members of the unit were treated "abominably" when they were punished. She claims that when Scientology's founder L. Ron Hubbard was in self-imposed exile on the high seas, captaining vessels crewed by his own elite band of followers, he ordered extreme forms of punishment to be meted out to anyone who broke the rules.

"People were thrown overboard, hands bound and feet bound and blindfolded. You know, women of 55 years old." (Note: later they were retrieved from the water alive.)

A culture of cruelty still seems to exist within the organisation. Four Corners talks to former Scientologists who were consigned to a unit they regarded as a punishment camp - but which the church regards as a religious retreat.

"It's a slave camp, there's no question about it 'cause people are definitely abused."

A spokesman for the Church describes the unit quite differently:

"Members who burn out on their jobs or are failing or incapable of or not performing well in their functions, can be given the voluntary opportunity to have a period of reflection, rehabilitation, redemption."

Two young women told Four Corners how they were forced to clean out garbage skips with a small brush. The reason? Both were being disciplined for not doing their jobs properly. A Church spokesman has told the program he doesn't believe such claims:

"It sounds ridiculous and extreme. I question its credibility. I question its veracity."

Several women tell reporter Quentin McDermott of the anguish they suffered when superior officers pressured them into having abortions. The women claim they were told that having a child would interfere with the work they were doing for the Church.

"They sat down with me and prepared me… saying good, we're going to take you to the Planned Parenthood. They're going to ask you do you want an abortion, you're to say yes. I was going to be driven there by a staff member who would be waiting for me outside in the waiting room."

In the United States the Church is facing a range of allegations that are expected to be tested in court. Among them are claims by members of the Church that they were not paid adequately for long hours of work. Such claims are being contested by the Church.

As further details of these allegations come to light, Senators may be asked to consider whether the Church of Scientology deserves to retain its status as a religion and as a tax-free entity in Australia. The program will feature a senior member of the Church responding to the claims being made by former followers.

"Scientology: The Ex-Files" goes to air on Monday 8th March at 8.30pm on ABC1. It is repeated on Tuesday 9th March at 11.35pm. It is also available online.

they were taken to court in france, accused (and convicted) of fraud and described as a commercial organisation. apparently they wanted to ban the church altogether but it wasn't legally possible at the time. some pretty big fines were dished out.

go france.

i had a weird dream where i was a new scientologist and ingested some weird substance in a weird setting, weird unpleasant effects ensued.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

anyone else notice the weird background sounds like a standard text msg from about 41:26 onwards?

Could be more before hand but I only just noticed. quite weird.

As weird as Scientology is, why would it be any different or more difficult to start up an Entheogen based religion? A SciFi writer can start a religion as a tax dodge, why can't legitimate entheophiles start their own plant based religion, it would make a hell of a lot more sense and be a lot more spiritually rewarding than worshiping tax evading aliens from xenu.

Should of posted the day before but can still watch on the website, Interested to see if the parliamentary enquiry gets the go ahead.. Didnt know about the goings on in france good to hear.

Anyone ever read hubbards sci fi?

Anyone ever read hubbards sci fi?

I'd read a pirate copy just out of spite.

What a disgraceful thing that this cult is still allowed to exist. I'm all for people having a religion to call if that's what they want, and there's no harm done to others, but to force your followers to PAY for their enlightenment is abhorrant. Now how is that not supposed to favour the rich? Those who can't afford enlightenment are forced to slave away for a pittance that would never be enough to purchase scriptures anyway! Those who can afford are skyrocketed in their prestige within the cult, and those who can't (not necessarily "poor" people either) all go on a downhill slide because they make them quit their jobs to work for peanuts for these mental cases.

T'was a sad day I found out Dave Grohl is a Scientologist :(

T'was a sad day I found out Dave Grohl is a Scientologist :(

Bullshit! Is he really? That sucks. I remember on John safrans Music Jamboree he did a small segment on how Dave and the rest of the Foo fighters believed Aids is an invented disease and that taking the medication is actually what kills the person. As long as dave doesn't convert anyone he hangs out with I.e Josh Homme (sp), John paul and all the other puppets.

cheers

I'd read a pirate copy just out of spite.

:lol:

i've read a couple,like one of the battlefield earth[?] series...was an ok read...interesting drug content.

bought them 2nd hand out of curiosity,think i got dianetics too.

t s t .

Could you please elaborate a bit on the "drug content" of battlefield earth, Tantra? AFAIK that lot are against drugs, including antidepressants.

suricruise.gif

wouldnt mind reading battlefield earth, the movie was a bit retarded. Looks like the parliamentary enquiry got knocked back, apparently it was to consider tax exempt free status not just of scientology but all religions. So i guess the christians wouldnt like that too much :rolleyes:

oh yeah that'll really go down in australia

(why does everyone hate the battlefield earth movie? UHH. pisacake pisacake)

^^^^

It has cavemen piloting Harrier Jets.....cavemen....using spears..then all of a sudden....flying jets..with precision.

cheers

Could you please elaborate a bit on the "drug content" of battlefield earth, Tantra? AFAIK that lot are against drugs, including antidepressants.

suricruise.gif

dont recall it much,something about amphetamines and i think something else....

lron is said to have studied crowley type sex majick and been heavily into using various different drugs.his son claims he was using coke to perform as a public speaker.saw a book years ago,'l ron hubard,madman or messiah'.....

t s t .

lol,nice pic,a little tom might have been funnier!

Edited by t st tantra

it was the learning machine yawning :P

Didnt say i hated the movie actually got it sitting around on VHS somewhere :lol:

Edit: Apparently nick xenophon is gonna bring the enquiry matter back up at parliment next week

Edited by -YT-

^^^ HOW can his followers SWALLOW that shit??? If LRon has been known to study any Crowley that makes him even more dangerous as a figurehead for a "religion"! Maybe there's mindcontrol techniques they've (Scientology) used in such subtle ways that not even the ex-members have any idea it was used upon them. I would want to go to one of the centres just for a laugh but I don't trust those people, who knows what they might put in the air or subliminal messaging.

I looked for ages for the particular Tom Cruise avatar but couldn't find it, this was the next best one...

I would want to go to one of the centres just for a laugh but I don't trust those people, who knows what they might put in the air or subliminal messaging.

Ill go with ya FP, my curiosity always gets the better of me lol. I know a girl that ended up involved with scientology, fuk me did she change lol. From a regular young girl, goin out, gettn drunk sometimes and havin a smoke here and there to a complete fuckwit in 6 months, she worked/studied for them and had fuk all dollar herself but that wasnt the point, she was a rich person because she was a good person apparently. THEY DO CHANGE YA LIFE! She was living with my sister and it all ended when this girl was trying to keep my sister from associating with her friends because they were all "worthless misdirected drug abusing losers that need to get a life or be lost" something to that effect anyways and these are pretty successful ppl that were just goin out for a few drinks lol. My sis kicked her the fuck out and told her never to show her shitty scientologist self back into her life. Last i heard of the peanut lol.

It seems the lower ranking members are the most ardent followers and the ones higher up just seem chuffed to have all these mindless drones beneath them. I guess once ya start recieving the money that is "donated" then the reigion itself takes a backseat, let those under you do the preaching and just make yaself look happy and fulfilled as a scientologist thereby recruiting new suckers.

T'was a sad day I found out Dave Grohl is a Scientologist

no..fucking...wayyyyyyyyyyyyy

^^^ HOW can his followers SWALLOW that shit??? If LRon has been known to study any Crowley that makes him even more dangerous as a figurehead for a "religion"! Maybe there's mindcontrol techniques they've (Scientology) used in such subtle ways that not even the ex-members have any idea it was used upon them. I would want to go to one of the centres just for a laugh but I don't trust those people, who knows what they might put in the air or subliminal messaging.

I looked for ages for the particular Tom Cruise avatar but couldn't find it, this was the next best one...

Crowley hated Hubbard and thought he was a completely misguided idiot who had very little understanding of true spiritual purpose as a person Crowley was quite misguided and had many short comings the systems of belief he helped to develop are actually quite amazing having studied Thelema for many years now I can quite confidently say it has no relations whatsoever to anything Hubbard done nor would it ever want to

As for the parlimentary inquiry being stopped people seem to forget that James Packer is a scientologist I think the packers still hold substanial sway in pushing government in various directions that benefit themselves

it's a pyramid scheme!

there supposed to be illegal in oz anyway!

t s t .

remember the old simpsons joke where the schemes were re-dubbed 'trapezoid scheme' etc?

there are flagrant pyramid schemes operating in australia with some kind of crappy modification which i guess makes them legal or at least helps them fool suckers. buying books and going to lectures for instance, so that there is some kind of value in it all... even though i guess the books and lectures are probably all about how to con suckers into buying books and lectures.....

Hubbard spent a lot of time away from his wife and spent it with Jack Parsons and the OTO. One of his projects was Babalon Working, which wasn't working at all. OTO leader Aleister Crowley called their behaviour "idiocy". Hubbard wrote The Admissions of L. Ron Hubbard, defrauded Jack Parsons out of thousands, and stole his girlfriend to boot.

much more detail:

http://www.bariumblues.com/jpl.htm

Phase Two collapsed on itself when Hubbard left town with a mistress and (allegedly) a substantial sum of money, both of which had previously been attached to Parsons. So if you're angrily wondering why the Earth isn't currently sex-soaked carnal paradise of peace, you can blame Hubbard.

-from the above link

Like I needed another reason to hate Elron :BANGHEAD2: