The Corroboree
Smiling Cloud

Trying to remove overdrawal fee

I went into the bank the other day to put money in the bank to pay my rent and elec (it comes out automatically) and asked the teller how much i had to put in there to cover the auto payment. I had to deposit $80. I check my balance on tuesday and my balance is -$75. I had to go into the bank anyway to do a IMT so asked about why my bank balance was in negatives while i was in there.

The guy told me that i had a payment go out and i should have known about this as the company usually puts a 'hold' on the money before they actually take it out. Its like when you put a $100 cheque into you bank. So if you had $100 before you put the cheque in the balance would read $200 but the AVAILABLE balance would read $100, until the cheque is cleared. I asked whether the teller would have known that the money was on hold and he said yes. So i asked for my overdrawal fee to be removed as the teller should have told me how much money i had AVAILABLE. He told me to go talk to the front desk.

So i go to the front desk and i realise that i was not going to get the coin back as the chick there had that bitch face look, kind of like she had just sniffed a little bit of cat shit or something. I thought i'd give it a crack anyway.

ME: Hey, i wish to get an over drawal fee removed and then explained the above.

BF: I'm sorry but it is the customers responsibility to know how much money is their account.

ME: Isn't that what i am doing when i am asking the teller how much money i have in there.

BF: No not exactly sir.

ME: Then what am i meant to do?

BF:You need to be responsible for knowing how much money is in your account. (?)

ME:Well i asked teller and i thought she would tell me right amount, i didn't realise i am meant to ask to physically see my money in your vault out the back, can i see that now please.

BF:I don't appreciate your tone sir. Unless you have the reciept for the transaction there is nothing we can do about it.

ME: (luckily my wallet is wuite messy with every receipt i get) Here it is.

BF: Umm, i will got talk to the teller. z(taking the receipt with her)

BF: I talked to the teller and she is very experienced and did not make a mistake.

ME: What is your name? And can i make an appointment with the manager here please.

BF: You can't make an appointment unless you belong to this branch, you will have to take it up with your branch.

ME: You didn't ask me that a few weeks ago when you wanted to loan me $50,000 for no apparent reason but luckily, yes, i AM a memeber of this branch.

BF: I will go talk to the manager now.

BF: They will bring it up at the next meeting sir. Next (i can't believe she actually thought it was over)

ME: Sorry, i'm not finished with my inquiry.

BF: You will have to take it up with the person that you shopped with as only they will be able to tell you when they took the money out. Next

ME: I need my reciept back.

BF: No sorry i need that to show the manager.

ME: Take a photocopy, if i didn't have that i wouldn't have even got this far.

BF: The photocopying machine is broken, i will need to keep this.

ME: WHAT!! I just saw someone use it! I do not give you permission to keep my personal property. I need it so you don;t try scam me next time i copme in here.

She went and photocopied it and i gave her a rant about if thats how they make 4.7million every year then i'm not interested in banking with them.

Anyway today i found out that the company i bought stuff from actually shipped my stuff afew days before i originally went to the teller to fill up my bank acccount so the hold on the money would have been in place. I had actually forgotten about it until i was checking where my products were. Can't wait to go in on monday and get my $30 back (plus interest, its only fair, they are borrowing my money) . Going to wait in line till i get BF.

I bank with commonwealth and i must say that all my previous dealing with them have been great (i started with a dolomite account!!) But then again i've never had them make a mistake with me before. If they don't give the cash bank i will be seriously consider closing my account, well i will look around for the best deal anyway. If they are all the same (which i'm sure they are) i will close this account and go somewhere else.

just be sure to withdraw all of your money before you tell them you're closing... some banks expect something like $15 just to close the account, do not let them have it.

just be sure to withdraw all of your money before you tell them you're closing... some banks expect something like $15 just to close the account, do not let them have it.

I just opened a bank account with NAB $4 A MONTH AND NO OVERDRAWING FEES :)

Why does NAB not have overdrawing fees

1. Good Customer relations

2. They are technically illegal under the trade practises act if one takes the time to read it ,Go to the choice website or do a web serach on get fair on bank fees I have heard of a number of people being repaid these type of fees when challenging through the banking industry ombudsman pain in the arse I know but big corporations like to throw their weight round against the little guy some times it pays to use a government appointed officail to level the playing field

Really? I'm with NAB and have been slapped before.

Its only very recent that they have brought in the no overdraw thing up until about a month ago they still had them :)

I used to be with commonwealth untill they cancelled my account for swearing at staff. about 5 years ago i had all of my ID stolen, i went to the bank and explained the situation they said it should be fine and i could withdraw my funds with a signature check i was 10 when i opened my account so of course my signature had changed dramatically they would not give me my money because they said i couldnt prove who i was, i went off at them.

two weeks later after having to borrow and beg from friends and family and waiting for a replacment birth cirtificate to arrive i rock up to the bank to finnally withdraw my money to find they had cancelled my account for being abusive to staff. how the fuck can they cancelle my account if they didnt know who i was?

ive been with the Bendigo bank ever since and havnt had a problem once, even when i lost my ID again. :rolleyes:

You can get your bank statements for the past 7 years & add up all the illegal fees your charged

I did look into http://www.bankbeaters.com.au/ who are supposed to be a legit group who are fighting the banks for individuals for a % of what they get back for you, i found out about this on the channel 7 news or a today tonight show some time ago but never went through with it

With bankwest, when I get overdraw fee's on my credit card ($40) I ring them and they put it back. I just threaten to remove myself as a customer and remind them that I have been a customer of their's for over 25years. Last time they did this I was overdrawn like $1 and had payment in waiting going from one of their accounts to mine (so still within the institution) I got a phone call within like 12hours of that overdraw asking me to deposit the money I owed ASAP. I told them how rude I thought it was for them to call me and ask me for money less than 12 hours later and told them if they ever did it again I was gone. Since then I have overdrawn a few $ here and there and never got an overdraw fee. sumtimes u just gotta know how to talk to people. I seem to have a knack of getting my own way.

After my friend had countless troubles with telstra for unpaid bill for a mobile phone that never arrived. It took me one phone call and not only did they never hassle her again. They actually sent her a cheque for ~$40 even though she had never even payed them a cent in her life. I may have mentioned the lack of her signature to back up any legal doccument and also may have mentioned that the esec producer of news for channel 7 was a personal friend. But hey, u get the idea. Don't be bullied. :P

i rock up to the bank to finnally withdraw my money to find they had cancelled my account for being abusive to staff. how the fuck can they cancelle my account if they didnt know who i was?

that is so funny. did you get the money? i need to know.

thread turning out great.

^They sent a bank check with my remaining funds out to my postal adress so i had to go into a commonwealth branch to check it anyway

You can get your bank statements for the past 7 years & add up all the illegal fees your charged

I did look into http://www.bankbeaters.com.au/ who are supposed to be a legit group who are fighting the banks for individuals for a % of what they get back for you, i found out about this on the channel 7 news or a today tonight show some time ago but never went through with it

yeah I have a claim of over $5000 I'm just about to lodge against Virgin Money , Commonwealth and GE I'll have to check out that bankbeaters as i was just using the info on the choice website Its ironic as Commonwealth defaulted me straight after I came off hardship , not to mention the arrears on the loan were actually about a 1/4 of what they had charged me in fees over the previous 3 years I still think its hard to beat a bank that puts you on hardship provisions and then charges you $90 per fortnight in missed payment fees plus interest like thats going to really help me get on top of my payments .... fuckin wankers :slap:

I got another overdrawal fee today! Second one in 6 years!

The real estate didn't take the moneny out on the weekend like they usually do and i was also expecting someone to deposit some cash, which just so happened to be the same amount as my rent. So yesterday when i checked my account i thought that the person had depostied the cash but really it was that my bank hadn't taken the rent. I went and spent a bit of the money but then later that evening the person that was going to deposit some cash rang me and told me they wouldn't be doing it till wed. And sure enough last night the real estate took the cash and i got another overdrawal fee. I don't think it will look that good when i go in tomorrow. I'm going to give it a shot anyway as i have evidence now that i'm in the right. I don't like my chances on getting the money back on the second overdrawal fee though :P

Its interesting to know that overdrawal fees are illegal, i've always thought of it as a short loan with incredibly high interest.

My comment that they are illegal is based on unconsiounable conduct clauses in the TPA ask your bank how they have come up with a calculation that results in them justifying a charge of $30 for overdrawing your account I bet you they cannot so if thre is no basis to how this fee has been calculated isn't this just a large corporation throwing their weight around to take advantage of someone that has no choice but to suffer whatever fee they chose to impose, there are clauses in the TPA designed to prevent such activity , don't forget you are already charged intrest on amounts you overdraw , so if we are already cahrged intrest ( which is actually a cahrge on the bank lending you money ) why are charged this second fee - well nothing more then corporate greed gone mad.

Why does our government not stop this because they are gutless `1 and 2 think about what would happen to your bank if it was forced to pay back every single overcharged fee for the last 25years well you could kiss those ridiclous ceo and high level management salaries goodbye for starters and probably a lot of jobs at these organisations also , further more the value of banking shares would crash and lets think what make uyp a decent portion of the value of the ASX 200 and what is a consistant economic performer year after yaer in Australia declaring massive profits , the government is more then aware of the massive economic consequences of such a desicion and from their position the negative far outweigh the postive, however i think we need to ask ourselves why should our economy be bolstered solely by the value of corpoarte greed and the ripping off of everyday people who alraedy struggle to make ends meet .....................end rant :)

Go here and check out their campaign on unfair bank fees. Heaps of good information, I followed their advice and got $200+ wiped off.

Westpac have incredible service for Australian small business owners.

and are the only bank to be carbon neutral, aren't they?

From memory, I think I pay $60 a year or something with no transaction fees. (unlimited eftpos on mastercard debit).

They've also got plenty of tellers.. and

I reckon you can register a business for $120 or something.. and print out a few reciepts for proof..

Or take the power back and get a home/floor safe. Good to keep more than just your money in ;)