The Corroboree
blip

How can somebody get back into the workforce with a dull resume?

Edited by lsdreamz

The best thing to do mate, would be to travel around to the local nurseries and put your name down. With the warm weather coming im sure one of them could do with a hand.

Edited by lsdreamz

What would you do if you were in my situation man? At this point it looks as if all i can do is join the army haha.. sighh or a process worker

You dont like the nursery idea? serious man, ive done it myself and it is very fulfilling work.

Edited by lsdreamz

meh ! dont stress to much dude, you are never to old to get an apprenticeship. If you have no ties atm such as a house and kids, then the world is your oyster. Take your time mate, get yourself a shitty small paying job now, ie, nursery work. This will keep you in work mode and will give you time to ponder your dreams rather than sitting around doing nothing and getting yourself down.

Edited by lsdreamz

Not sure, but you still sound kinda young? I'm with Mr B.caapi, don't stress about it too much. And the nursery idea is a good one.

You do not want to work in IT anymore?

How about looking into becoming a park ranger? A friend of mine in Tassie does this and loves it.

You mention social anxiety/shyness, I know this can be debilitating. Do you get any physical symptoms from your social anxiety? (shakes, stammered voice, elevated heart rate, confusion)

Edited by lsdreamz

National parks (department of agriculture) are usually looking for locust spotters, control officers at this time of year its seasonal work & if you like getting out bush, flying in light aircraft 4wd vehicles & the outdoors its would be another option for a few months minimum , you will end up with a good reference 4 the resume

As long as im happy doing what im doing every day, and earning alright money, a BIG chunk of anxiety will die that day :)

Yeah, I think that's true for most of us man...

Its hard to find a happy medium between your dreams and actual ability, some are good at re-invention others better academic, some born leaders and others destined to follow.

Personally i really admire the re-invention type, there is nothing better in a consumer world then somebody who is down and out, has lost it all, who changes it all around and takes a chance on something new and wins again.

Even if he (she) does not win then at least he gave it a shot.

Or opposite without condoning just do what is very popular amongst people doing tests and exams (sadly that time past me 18 years ago) do thesedays. Probably the drugtesters should lay off Ben Cousins and target school leavers and uni goers for the bumps of meth or dexies so regulary used thesedays to gain just that little bit extra in marks (maybe a whole lot) Maybe you could do that and finish your tert 4 or whatever your doing and cheat.

If it was me i would go work with the council, you may not get rich but its steady...flexi days and all that craps great, if your totally into hort then ride a mower and go to school at the same time paid for within the council.

Apparently if u already have a cert 3 in ANY field you can not apply for Apprenticeships?? Is this true????

G'day Lsdreamz,

I'm pretty sure this isn't true, if it is - dont mention it at the interview! Anyone can do an apprenticeship, and i'm guessing you'll be eligible for mature age pay rates.

What trade are you interested in? I didn't have much on my resume when I went looking for a trade, but I did have relevent hobbies at home which backed up my experience and interest for that type of work. I bought along some projects I made at home to some interviews, which scored me a lot of points, and got me three seperate job offers!! It took a lot of effort over six months, but finally got myself the job I wanted in the end, even if it was for only $6.00 an hour in 1st year!! I struggled through those four years (shit money, treated like shit) but can now make a really good salary and have plenty of time off.

get a job in a bar and go back to uni, study... geology?

the best way to get a job is to ask around, personal refrence's are so very powerful.

Well, Ive worked in a legitimate job/s a total of about 6 months in my 30yrs on the earth and dropped out of school at 15 (this explains my spellin a gramma; :) however there are still options for me out there now that I want to get my life in order.

2 of the best options in my opinion are still IT and or the mining industry both can lead into good jobs without lots of experience.

The other force that comes into play is 'its who ya know not what ya know' so get your feelers out there and start networking....

Edited by AndyAmine.

Edited by lsdreamz

The advantage you have over others in the job marketplace is that you are articulate - at least in the written word. So that tells me that you could make a bigger impact than some IT graduate that's a straight, shallow rich-kid, or a young Indian (not being racist there, but there's a lot of new professionals coming from the subcontinent in the fields of IT & also accounting). My suggestion would be for you to stick to the IT studies, in the meantime get some bar-work (you only need your RSA - but go for a cocktail course too before you apply for bar jobs) which will sustain you on about $21 per hour. then when you are finished your course, approach companies independently via email and snail mail. Forget the huge multinationals, go for the businesses that have 100-200-300 employees. In smaller outfits, if you make contact with the big cheese, he/she will be more inclined to look at your submission with a level of consideration.

There are some very stupid people out there earning $80k+, and they get the jobs. So someone with their brain working in a critical way (like yours) should theoretically be a shoe in when you have the certificate to flash around.

Your situation is crying out "Local Government"!

LG IT Tech, not a really bad job.

Maybe you could get a job in a local Library.

Just make sure it's one that employs lots of guys.

Nursery work doesn't have to be a dead end job. Depending on which part of a larger nursery you work in you could be working with plants, customer service, office work, ordering/warehousing, etc.

A nursery is a great way to get into some of these things as most places will promote in-house even if you don't have the perfect qualifications for the job. Just make sure to keep yourself available and be keen to try different things.

A nursery is also a great way to get over social phobias. Nursery customers are generally less demanding and much more friendly than customers in other industries. Even if you are just potting up somewhere, chances are you will eventually have contact with customers on an occasional basis and hence get eased into it.

If you work in a wholesale nursery you will get to know retail nursery customers and maybe find an opening there. Then again, some of the larger wholesale nurseris have full career paths in-house.

If you pick a natives nursery you might find yourself in re-gen projects which is a major growth industry. With your IT skills it would be easy to move up in the ranks and maybe even run your own projects [which are usually government funded] while still working with your employer. You will find that most people who are keen on re-gen have no skills with office work or even something as simple as making a funding application.

I am not saying that nursery is the best option for you, but I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't dismiss it as easily as you did as it is a far more varied environment than you seem to think.

Nursery work doesn't have to be a dead end job. Depending on which part of a larger nursery you work in you could be working with plants, customer service, office work, ordering/warehousing, etc.

A nursery is a great way to get into some of these things as most places will promote in-house even if you don't have the perfect qualifications for the job. Just make sure to keep yourself available and be keen to try different things.

A nursery is also a great way to get over social phobias. Nursery customers are generally less demanding and much more friendly than customers in other industries. Even if you are just potting up somewhere, chances are you will eventually have contact with customers on an occasional basis and hence get eased into it.

If you work in a wholesale nursery you will get to know retail nursery customers and maybe find an opening there. Then again, some of the larger wholesale nurseris have full career paths in-house.

If you pick a natives nursery you might find yourself in re-gen projects which is a major growth industry. With your IT skills it would be easy to move up in the ranks and maybe even run your own projects [which are usually government funded] while still working with your employer. You will find that most people who are keen on re-gen have no skills with office work or even something as simple as making a funding application.

I am not saying that nursery is the best option for you, but I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't dismiss it as easily as you did as it is a far more varied environment than you seem to think.

http://www.aabr.org.au/ is a good place to look for that kind of stuff

George W. bush managed to be president.

So its not a matter of a resume.

Just forge one, [ a good one as a Ph.D] if you too honest then, become a human automaton [robot] but a robot is more expensive, so you will be replaced as soon as possible when a hand robot is invented.

I really feel sorry for a young honest workforce if educated or not.

Hey man, drop me a PM and I will reply with my email address. I've moved house and don't have internet at the new joint, but can reply to emails while I'm at work. You can ask me any questions you have for help with your assignments, I'm sure you aren't dumb.

I have a BSc in Computing.

PS: Are you still in Sydney? I am happy to help you get your Cert 4 and then put in a good word for you at a few places to get you an IT job.

Edited by apothecary