The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Just got over swine flu!

So a week ago i contracted the worst flu i've ever had. I even started writing a message on here asking what to do if you thought you had swine flu, but then figured i was just being a whinger and didn't post it.

Anyway i found out i had it because the rest of my family had been diagnosed with it and while i don;t live with them i had been visiting them when they fell down with it.

We all got it from this netball competition in brisbane that my little sister was competing in, a couple of the girls from the game were diagnosed with it days later. There were girls there from all over the state so it was prime breeding ground for disease. I watched a few games over a few days and drove home. THe next day i woke up and had what i thought was a hangover. My neck was cramped, my whole body ached, i felt dehydrated and i had a headache that wouldn't go away with aspirin. The strange thing was that i hadn;t consumned muh alcohol the day before but weirder things have happened. THroughout the day the hangover got worse and worse until i figured that i must be sick. By that night i was sicker than ever. All the above symptoms but just really bad, and i was cold, so so so cold. That night i slept with many blankets.

THe next day when i opened my eyes i thought i was going to die. He pain was so intense i could hardly move. I coughed up all this nasty gunk on the floor because i couldn;t aim anywhere and walked into the kitchen to get some aspirin. I made up 2000mg of aspirin to drink, managed to get it down and hold it down and some of the pain subsided some. THen i went outside to sit in the sun as i was freezing. That was too cold so i put on some shorts, jeans, trackpants, 2 t-shirts 2 jumpers and a thick hoodie with a beanie and sat in the sun with a doona as i was shivering. I felt frozen to the bone and it didn;t matter how much i put on it didn;t put a dent in it. A friend gave me some really strong painkillers and they didn;t do anything. The only thing that seemed to work was aspirin in large quantities. I was having 3-4 aspirin 4-5 times a day. I still ate the painkillers however as they warmed me up a little bit and eased my boredom. THe other weird thing about this flu was how dehydrated i felt, i drank sooo much water and still felt thirsty. And i didn't want to eat. I ate 3 cornchips and a tablespoon full of dahl in 3 days!

This body pain and feeling of exstreme coldness went on for about 5 days when mum called up and said she had swine flu and that if i get sick i should go to the docs immediately because of my asthma. I was on the mend by then so it was alright.

Today i feel nearly sweet, even managed to have a few beers before (i;m meant to be on holidays!) but i don't think i'll have anymore its making me feel a little sick.

I thought the swine flu would be way heavier. I reckon that lots of people probably have it and just think it is a particulary bad flu, thats all i thought it was. I can see how it would kill someone with a comprimised immune system though.

Interesting report, thanks for sharing.

Ah that sounds frustrating.. Has anyone else been diagnosed but had real real mild symptoms? Or is it pretty much guaranteed that it will mess you up?

Only aspirin and painkillers no food man?

I would be devouring echinacea tablets, vitamin C, water, and whatever fruit/veg/egg/meat can get down.

Have been taking 1 or 2 echinacea tablets and 1 blackmores "cold combat" which is kalmegh extract every day with dinner and haven't been flu yet (one day took sick off work but I think it was pinched nerve now) and thats down here in swine flu central!

Reckon tropical conditions and/or alcohol make it worse probably for infection vectors?

Edited by apothecary

I have just gotten the flu but don't know what it is yet...I started feeling like shit today and it's gotten progressively worse particularly the pain...I'm eating hot spicy soups and shivering like all hell at the moment.

H.

the doctors suggested that it was possible that my partner had got a mild version of this swine flu being the reason we lost our twins, as the infection spread to the placenta. although my partner never showed signs if it, i guess we are awaiting tests to come back,

they also said that this swine flu has cause premature labour in some people

the doctors suggested that it was possible that my partner had got a mild version of this swine flu being the reason we lost our twins, as the infection spread to the placenta. although my partner never showed signs if it, i guess we are awaiting tests to come back,

they also said that this swine flu has cause premature labour in some people

thats not very good news... sorry to hear.

Yeah mate so sorry to that :( My thoughts are with you.

Oh Dear! Velvet, i´m so sorry to hear this! my thoughts are with you and your girl. It really makes me sad if friends have hard times.

And smiling cloud, i hope you´ll be better soon. Maybe beer is a secret cure for swine flu! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

thank you guys, it has been hard, having to cremate two children in 3 weeks but such is life, i dont mean to take away from the original thread topic, just thought it was something you dont hear much abotu swine flu and how it is affecting pregnant women

Well, you sometimes have times like these. Sometimes you live a few years in peace and harmony and everything is cool. And then there are the times when it rains shit over a short period of time. Velvet, we will always be there for you in case you feel the need for good company. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

thanks mate

Really sorry to hear that mate :( What a tragedy

Yeah, my mum has had swine flu, and despite this she continues to smoke and drink wine :angry:

Im living with her and im eating echinacea tablets that I got last night, so I hope I don't get it :S

She hasn't been REALLY bad, but she has had the whole feeling cold and in pain thing, I think she also has bronchitis.

the migraines are the worst part about this flu getting around.

my mum got quarentined in hospital with it, then everyone else got it, and i was being a smart ass saying i am going to sell my antibodies as im the only one in the fam that hadnt got it, when BAM. had it for a good 5 days. sickest i can ever remember myself being.

was literally vomiting from the pain of the migraines.... nasty stuff.

I am keen to get it. pandemic flus only kill because they are so novel that the body doesn't recognise them at all. Getting this mild form that is going round at the moment won't stop you from getting the bad one when it comes around, but at least you won't die from it [cytokine storms are much worse for new flus]. if anyone around my area has confirmed swine flu, let me know and I'll come over and look after you for a day ;)

has anyone had swine flu and taken tamiflu within 36h of getting first symptoms? just wondering if it helps much.

That reminds me of the chicken pox parties that some mothers celebrate to infect their children while their young. But i recently thought about that too. We just had the first swine flu cases in our area. Next time i go out, i only make out with chicks that look sick. :lol: bye Eg

Lol @ chicken pox parties... :P

H.

I put out a call on facebook a few weeks ago that I want to hold an 'inocculation party'. It would be the best mass vaccination option at this point. I get really sick from vaccines anyway, so for me there is little difference between a vaccination and getting the flu. In fact I prefer the real thing cos it doesn't include a dose of mercury [unless you bite the thermometer].

if you knew what day you got infected you could be ready with the tamiflu, not be travelling somewhere, and generally be prepared with food in the house etc.