The Corroboree
hutch

How to kick the habit

There haven't been many (any?) suggestions of western medicine, just will power...that is the only real way to do it, some things might ease it a bit (therapy probably being the big one, but some other substances might help) but its easy to swap one addiction for another.

Know plenty of people who have taken psychedelics and been told time and time again by their experience to give up the weed...generally seems to last about a day or two, if that, before they write it off as just having been the trip as their addiction rationalises it out and they justify smoking again.

I think the idea that taking a drug will stop you from wanting to take another is a cop out, sure it might help show you some things in a new light, or make it so you cant hide from the truth, but once the drug is gone, the addiction generally gains control again, I also think that a lot of people who turn to these options as an easy way out, as if taking this wonder drug (applies to loads of things from weight loss drugs, anti-smoking drugs, psychedelics) will make everything better instantly, when truth of the matter is it takes hard work to kick an addiction, hard work and will power, and no miracle drug is likely to change that to any significant extent. My 2c anyway.

Peace

She might do better with help from someone such as counselor or therapist or someone else. Lots of information on the topic could help too.

2002___Smith___A_review_of_the_published_literature_into_cannabis_withdrawal_symptoms_in_human_users.pdf

2002___Smith___A_review_of_the_published_literature_into_cannabis_withdrawal_symptoms_in_human_users.pdf

I have smoked heavily more days than not for 20+ years. I believe it is less addictive than coffee. The main hassle with quitting seems to be the boredom that comes from everyday chores. Weed makes boring things fun.

When my usage gets out of hand I have a break for a few weeks. I also practice trying to hold out until later in the day before I have that first hit. Get the chores done first. Try having one day a week without weed.

To stop completely, I recommend taking the following supplements morning and night: Kava, Valerian, 5-htp, fishoil, good multi vitamin. these will not cause tolerance or addiction.

Exercise, can,t recommend that one enough. Also, try switching to a vaporizer. Not only does this clear up the chest and lungs, but it removes the ritual of sparking one up.

Look seriously a good dose of DMT regularly could have the potential to wipe away many of the habits we loathe having...unfortunately though it needs to kept up as like anything the true nature of our self loathing and desire for our drug of choice will come sauntering back into our lives..monkeys on backs...pass me the ape repellent.

H.

just read something about 40 to 60 % of drug use being gene related........wonder if that includes spiritual use?

t s t .

Everyone in my family is straight as....My fathers side had bad alcohol abuse problems right through everyone but never ever any kind of meds or drugs...mind you I am the black sheep of the family..it says so on my t-shirt.

I have a theory about addictions and drug use and it stems from people that live in that huge population area of just average..average job..average looks..average abilities.....think about how many people who are stuck in that void of feeling like they are just another boring human making up the numbers..plain Janes and Jacks of all trades...My theory is that these people use drugs as way to make their life somewhat more interesting...Super rich and super good looking don't tend to abuse like we do and the really poor well they are usually very religious or starving to death and consider food to more necessary than any drug or mind altering substance. If you where able to do a study world wide of why and what people takes drugs you might find I am close to the mark with this average theory. We make up a large number of humans and possibly 2/3 rds of the work force...how many times have you gotten a new a job and found that a large percentage of the workers there use alcohol and or drugs...it's usually really easy to score from a work colleague....just look for the bored frustrated plain as muck people and chances are you will find your score.

H.

Everyone in my family is straight as....My fathers side had bad alcohol abuse problems right through everyone but never ever any kind of meds or drugs...mind you I am the black sheep of the family..it says so on my t-shirt.

I have a theory about addictions and drug use and it stems from people that live in that huge population area of just average..average job..average looks..average abilities.....think about how many people who are stuck in that void of feeling like they are just another boring human making up the numbers..plain Janes and Jacks of all trades...My theory is that these people use drugs as way to make their life somewhat more interesting...Super rich and super good looking don't tend to abuse like we do and the really poor well they are usually very religious or starving to death and consider food to more necessary than any drug or mind altering substance. If you where able to do a study world wide of why and what people takes drugs you might find I am close to the mark with this average theory. We make up a large number of humans and possibly 2/3 rds of the work force...how many times have you gotten a new a job and found that a large percentage of the workers there use alcohol and or drugs...it's usually really easy to score from a work colleague....just look for the bored frustrated plain as muck people and chances are you will find your score.

H.

Interesting theory, but . . . Its not just average joe's that abuse drugs, just look at how many rock stars and other famous people have struggled with drugs. The list is endless. Addiction effects all types of people from all walks of life.

Faustus , excellent points/advice man.... Nice to see some thoughts I can really identify with...

Re: Hunab Ku + hutch

you didn't get what I am saying. Your answers are out of place. I wasn't hostile towards the individual in question, I was being short of hostile to those who easily give 2 sentence answers even though they don't know shit about the individual in question.

It's faustus reply that shows that the answers are not easy. The 'solution', should be customised according to the individual in question...

Like I said all the other comments are an interesting discussion, albeit general, relevant to each different case they refer to, but not for the sum of cannabis users / individuals who experience drug-induced disorders / 'addicted to pot' individuals

You like a short question?

-How to kick the habit ?

- get a life ;)

kava kava and concious breathing exercises when u feel the urge to smoke.

ive said it before here but kava really takes the 'edge' of.

SWIM has smoked for 20 years pretty hard, but finds stopping cold no problem at all, no loss of sleep, etc, as long as SWIM has something interesting to do to keep SWIM's mind in a positive state.

In SWIM's opinion, maryj is not very addictive at all compared to so many other chemicals out there. But gambling is addictive, etc, so it's all about managing lifestyle and happiness levels. Eating good food and having enough health to make you feel physically good anyway.

Beyond that, in SWIM's opinion, people have used maryj for thousands of years as a medicine, if you enjoy it why not? The UK medical advice for safe drinking is about 28 drinks a week for a man, and 22 for a woman. In SWIM's opinion, if maryj was legal they would say a safe dose was 1/2 ounce a week especially if you used a vaporiser.

SWIM says make a tea out of thyme to clear your lungs, and use a vaporiser instead of bongs. And if you're using tobacco, that's the waaaaaaaay more addictive component.

I suggest that she looks for, and finds a good Neuro linguistic programmer.

It only takes several days, to a week for the recpeptors to give up, and physical craving to cease..

and then the rest is deeply habituated nerological nonsense. In other words, 'habit'.

A good NLPer will kick her ass out of the office, totally cured within 45 mins.

I know it works, because i've used it myself, and successfully used the process with other people.

NLP, Hypnosis or timeline therapy are all great search terms to begin finding more of what you need.

SWIM says make a tea out of thyme to clear your lungs, and use a vaporiser instead of bongs. And if you're using tobacco, that's the waaaaaaaay more addictive component.

there, sound point... ;)

She has been two weeks without as of today. I didn't even know she had stopped until this morning. She said she needed sleeping pills at first to get her through the night but her need is not that great now and she gets a huge buzz from exercise. Thanks to all who contributed and I guess it just proves, you have to want to give up or it's an uphill battle. Hope she stays on the straight and narrow. One good thing to come from all this is I now own a vaporizer.

Bloody wonder how I managed without one of those for all these years. Almost makes the whole process dignified in some way. No more smelly old bongs for me.

Cheers

Hutch :wink: :wink:

Can anyone recommend any good Aussie based online sellers of vaporizer's for herbs ?

Cheers subbo

If anyone has any feedback on the VapoRite or similar products it would be great to hear what they think

edit ..I had a quick search of the forum search engine & see if this topic has already been covered :wink: but i would still like to hear some feedback from forum members if possible

Edited by mac

any feedback on the VapoRite

Not bad in a friend's experience. That said, they've not tried the better vapes on the market such as the Volcano.

One downside they've mentioned is the thermostat isn't accurate leaving the user with burnt tobacco. Although that could very well be that they are inexperienced with the unit (particularly the rate at which to suck air thru) and this is easily overcome by setting it at a lower temp. Also, their unit is measured in farenheit, not centigrade, but as long as you know roughly where you want it (around 350-400F apparently), it's not a prob. Also, they mention that loading tobacco into it can be fiddly due to the downward facing chamber, often spilling a little tobacco when connecting the mouthpiece. They recommend that you moisten the baccy with a little water (just till it holds together like a thin wad) and push it against the screen with a flat tipped pen.

There's a few threads on it in the SE :) For the low price ($118), my friend definately recommends it.

just added 4 more links up 2 posts

the PISTON vapour in the joynt venture shop is great once you get the temp right! stupid temp control

Edited by subbo

I just purchased the vapoRite for $118.00 and I am more than happy with it thus far. It is a little fiddly at first but once you get it all down pat it is a little ripper. I'm just starting to cough up all those little nasties off my lungs now.

It gets my nod of approval :bong: (thats me nodding)

you don't say whether your friend mixes with tobacco. if so, therein lies the biggest problem imho. ime taking the tobacco out solves 95% of addiction/fiending issues - particularly if you don't smoke cigarettes normally. nicotine gum helps with the withdrawals but beware it's pretty horrible.

getting a vaporizer is also a must. i can vouch for vapolution brands... cheap, portable and efficient although the glassware may be a little fragile. the fact that it's not quite as convenient as ripping a bong and mulling up isn't necessarily required are good points that help break old habits.

you don't say whether your friend mixes with tobacco. if so, therein lies the biggest problem imho. ime taking the tobacco out solves 95% of addiction/fiending issues - particularly if you don't smoke cigarettes normally. nicotine gum helps with the withdrawals but beware it's pretty horrible.

FFS people. naivety pissing me off now. was going to post this last night but didnt think it necessary, now i do.

I wasnt even a heavy smoker, and i didnt even smoke for that long, in fact it was probably 2 or 3 times a week, only on weekends during school/uni term, then daily during hols, for probably 2.5 years with less regular use for a year before that.

For the majority of that it was bongs, then onto joints with only occasional billys...and for the majority of the bongs it was green, then initially joints were spun with baccy but soon switched to using mixed herbage esp leonotis/sceletium. Hence, virtually no use of baccy...yet kicking weed led to 2 or so weeks of sleepless nights and daily cravings...many many cravings a day...made worse by ANYthing i associated with weed from most of my music collection to certain times of day or certain emotions. No baccy involved, can sit next to my mates puffing down ciggies without feeling nay urge at all to have one nor did it trigger cravings for a spliff.

Lasted 10 weeks of daily cravings before i caved, 4 day binge now kicked it again, this time less cravings, think i finally realised its not as good as the addiction made me think it was.

So to all the people who rant about how its all the baccy people use that is addictive, BS. No doubt baccy is addictive as fuck too, but so is the mJ, all by itself.

Peace

C'mon ME now your being naieve, you realize thats all subjective?

I used to smoke, pretty heavily realy from waking to sleep about an oz a week when I had it maybe 2 but if I could'nt afford it I could very easily go without from a day to a couple of weeks but I rarely could'nt afford it & when i finaly did quit after about 6 yr's I had about a week where I had trouble getting to sleep but I was having trouble sleeping at the time but it did make it worse about 2 weeks of the habitual compulsion to smoke & a massive increase in apetite but absolutley nothing I would call physical addiction. I even smoked spun with ciggys almost always in a bong.

Still binge from time to time, every 2-3 months for a week & have no prob stopping.

My experience indicates to me no physical addiction sure some psychological addiction but I wo'nt discount it may have been somewhat physical for you.

I think cannabis is very subjective & people tend to only talk about it from their own experience & discount anyone elses. I still have not seen any scientific evidence to prove its addictive & boy hav'ent they tried. Also think a lot of people confuse psychological & physicl addiction.

To the OP when I gave up I smoked catnip & cali poppies just to satisfy the psychological addiction prob 10 times a day for the 1st couple of days, stayed busy & focused on giving up & kicked it no probs. Oh & I stopped seeing alot of 'friends' for a good while which was essential for me.

Edited by shruman

The difference between physical and psychological difference is a difficult one to define given that all psychology has a phsyical (chemical) basis.

Also while my experience is subjective and is only a single example that is nonetheless a single example of MJ on her own being addictive without the aid of baccy...which to me shows that it can happen, certainly not saying that it happens to every smoker just the same as some smokers never develop any form of addiction at all (baccy or not) where some certainly do (baccy or not).

All i'm trying to get across is that i think the idea that MJ is a non-addictive and harmless herb is stupid...its a powerful drug, and like many powerful drugs i think it has addictive properties (who honestly does not believe this to be the case to some degree?), be they psychological or physical I don't know...and i don't think discounting addiction to the presence of some baccy in the mix is a sensible idea because it makes the risks (now i sit back and wait to get sprayed) of bud smoking seem lesser than i think they are.

All just my opinion really.

Peace

greens just aint greens,i wish some of you people had access to some good outdoor sativa that gets you high not stoned......it just is not the narcotic some indica can be...indicas bred for medicine and used as recreationals ,addictive?, of course they are meant to have opoid interactions.....but a nice sativa will just get you high,totally different thing......imho....cultural context hey?most smokers dont have a clue,legalisation will allow them them to be better educated.....

t s t .