The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
VINS

where are the woman ?

first congratulations for the few who are here, Darklight, darcy, sybille etc....

i was asking myself on why the drug world was so masculin ? then i start thinking of similarity between libido and drug addiction.(this could explain why one take the place of the other for junky)

as proof the number of feminized drug and words :

Sally, Lilie, marie-jeanne, etc...

also the art world : Velvet underground quote "it's my wife...and it's my life "

also film and book ;

blackopium.jpg

[ 11. January 2004, 00:38: Message edited by: VIN'S ]

'Drug' is to 'seductive'

as

'seductive' is to 'woman'.

Therefore: drug = woman.

They both mess with your emotional well being and can consume all your money and life force.

One can obsess over either or both.

Either or both can be more satisfying than anything else, but at a very high cost.

Drugs and women both have wills of their own and can compell you to do things you would never do otherwise.

Etc, Ad Nauseum.

However, in most cases, abstinence is out of the question...

sorry if i made an error, for a poor french, a name with a "y" sound at the end is a women name. :rolleyes:

hummm, and regarding the white thing ; i don't know, i never meet a psychonaut so i don't know if they are black, yellow or blue

anyway we are all the same color here......ORANGE !

[ 11. January 2004, 22:13: Message edited by: VIN'S ]

na, don't think he would look good in a dress

I have a few black psychonaut friends. Also some hispanic and oriental psychonaut friends, both male and female. Most of them live in the San Francisco bay area, a hotbed of entheothusiasts.

However, yours is a point well taken. Minority heads are certainly in a smaller percentage than one would expect to find in a cross section of the general population.

It could be that while a larger percentage of black and other minority peoples in this country use cannabis and other entheogens than would admit it, they keep it within a close group of aquaintances rather than out in clubs and keep their behavior within limits so as not to give themselves away. The legal system is set up to administer 'justice' more harshly when minorities are involved and the current stigma and prison sentences are reasons enough to keep quiet.

When I'm vending at ethnobotanical conferences there are often women who express personal interest in furthering the conversation afterwards and elsewhere.

However, by the time the day has ended I'm always too tired to take them up on their offers.

Besides, my girlfriend is usually hovering around to make certain nothing 'untoward' occurs.

[ 12. January 2004, 00:30: Message edited by: friendly ]

it is a good point,

but i've known just as many black & asian MDMA & pot users as white.

(we wont mention heroin or cocaine)

LSD & shrooms thin the numbers abit--but that's true for whitey too.

I was surprised to see a quite high percentage of women at yesterday's Brisbane EB meeting, I'd say 20 per cent?

VIN'S:

sorry if i made an error, for a poor french, a name with a "y" sound at the end is a women name.     :rolleyes:  

I can imagine why that is:

Because they always go: "yeee...yeee...yeee..."

(at least in the movie "kung pow")

dont forget the statistics of it...

say for example the other races are a minority and make up 10% of the population and psychonaughts are also 10% of population then that would mean non-whites psychonaughts whould be 10% of 10%... making them very few

that could also be why you dont see as many.

Thanks VINS. I spose it's a bit of an ambiguous nick. One less chick than u thought :D

Guest mandragora

There must be more than us or??? Can't be 540 members and only so less women....

I think most women stand behind a man for support, or get I with this statement a big NOOOOOO.

Don't know I came to Ethnobotany because of my boy friend and because I have studied horticulture he sometimes asked me how to propagate this or that, and I got interested and have no my own plants I am interested in, and I think I will stay interested.

A jungle to be explored.

probably also safe to say that people have a threshold in participating in stigmatized groups.

If youre a black lesbian, I doubt you'd also go out of your way to voluntarily join further stigmatized communities like ethno and/or drug communities. But who knows, maybe thats just bullshit.

Interesting to note as well, against that argument, that there seems to be a higher proportion of homosexuality in ethno communities than in the population as a whole...

I am a gay ethnic drugfriendly ethnobotany geek DJ, and I am taller than 99.75% of the australian population.

Common as muck really

There are quite a few ladies here, but most hide behind their usernames or behind their male partners.

jeez Torsten, I had no idea you were a geek.

quote:

If youre a black lesbian, I doubt you'd also go out of your way to voluntarily join further stigmatized communities like ethno and/or drug communities. But who knows, maybe thats just bullshit

that might be true in a political sense--i've had friends who refused to march in CND, Greenpeace, Anti-aparthied, etc. rallies---even though they 100% supported the cause--they didn't need more police harassment.

--but i think it doesn't matter so much w/drugs--the thought ov police harassment hadn't done much to stop the spread ov crack & smack(or pot) in ethnically mixed areas ov the UK, last i heard.

Originally posted by Thelema:

jeez Torsten, I had no idea you were a geek.

Spending more than half my waking hours in front of the computer should qualify me for that label

What do you mean a Geek?

"...I am taller than 99.75% of the australian population"

erm, yep I think that qualifies

(who am I to throw stones 4,oui,2,C,Y,U,N V,A,Q T,2 , g s R fr s ) :o

Thelema:

Interesting to note as well, against that argument, that there seems to be a higher proportion of homosexuality in ethno communities than in the population as a whole...

Someone said recently that 30% of the Aus ethno scene are gay, 30% are of German origin and 70% males under 25. I guess that's you then eh Torsten Of course the figures were pulled out of thin air, but it sounds about right

I wondered about the gender imbalance in this field for yeeears, dunno what the cause is but reckon its def external factors. Have seen very little evidence of sexism here and reckon it won't be long before more women wake up to the fact that this is one playing field that is practically level

Damn, opera doublepost

[ 15. January 2004, 14:40: Message edited by: Darklight ]

Actually, this "where are the women"? thing crops up on almost every forum that I participate in. Maybe my interests are just too blokey, and I ought to be checking out the horseriding or ballroom dancing groups :) On the other hand, the only herbalists I know are female.

Now, contrary to what you may be thinking, I am not here to pick up chicks, because I don't need to. But it does tend to raise a further interesting question: "where are all the people in satisfactory relationships"? Dunno whether I am just imagining it, but I am wondering whether pursuit of ethnobotanic godhead union is somewhat incompatible with maintenance of earthly union!

But come to think of it, the modern trend seems to be towards solo living according to all the statistics. And I strongly suspect that habitual internet users are in the vanguard of that movement.

[ 17. January 2004, 07:46: Message edited by: John_Barleycorn ]

Originally posted by John_Barleycorn:

Actually, this "where are the women"? thing crops up on almost every forum that I participate in.

Ditto.

"where are all the people in satisfactory relationships"? Dunno whether I am just imagining it, but I am wondering whether pursuit of ethnobotanic godhead union is somewhat incompatible with maintenance of earthly union!

Good point. Most of the guys I know from this community are either single or have partners who don't approve of their interest... or at the very least do not share it. The ladies just don't want to participate as much in plant consumption, so this leaves three options:

1) leave

2) convert your hubby

3) give him his space

We all know that option 3 is the least likely one

There is an option 4)Silent partner-

It goes....Let him have all the computer tantrums while I read and I know he'll keep me up to date anyway

Guest electro

you guys are right... im goin to lose my gf and all my friends if i keep spending mso much time online ...

thanks for the wakeup call.

the gnomne down the road also has to spend more time eating the plants he grows with the ones he loves rather than discussing their growth online.

I wont be around for a while (if i can help it) .. if peeps need me ill be contactable via email ... [email protected]

[ 18. January 2004, 08:11: Message edited by: electro ]