The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Legba

Tribe - Bruce Parry

Tribe

Matis, Western Amazon, Brazil

8.30pm – 9.30pm SBS

Wednesday 18 February 2009

In the first episode of series three, Bruce Parry meets classic slash-and-burn agriculturalists and expert hunters the Matis. The Matis live in the vast Vale do Javari Indigenous Park, an area of 32,000 square miles in the far west of Brazil. They are playful people for whom the longhouse remains a cultural focus and the skills needed to use a long blowpipe are deeply respected. However, around 60 percent of their population was wiped out by Western diseases to which they had no immunity. Now their existence depends on maintaining quarantine. Bruce learns to be a Matis hunter, undergoing a series of tests to toughen him up. He is whipped with rattan stems, has excruciatingly painful tree sap dropped into his eyes to improve his vision, is rubbed with nettle-like leaves, takes a powerful frog toxin to purge his system and learns how to hunt a monkey.

B)

wow wat a mad bugger! kudos to the crazy muthafugga B)

The Tribe docos are fantastic. Definately recommend tuning into these if people are keen to learn about other cultures.

I love this show. It's impossible not to get sucked into Bruce Parry's experience.

That old medicine-woman delivering the sapo last night was ace. She sat there with a wry grin, and burned him and loaded him a second time when he resisted vomiting!

It's not a new series but it's a new season. The last season was really cool, but unfortuantely at my new place I do not get SBS reception atm so if anybody in Sydney wouldn't mind taping the episodes for me I'm sure I could find a way to thank that person for it.

Met Bruce in the Caribbean and taught him to kitesurf. Really interesting and down to earth guy. Done some stuff for the screen that most wouldn't eh.

It's not a new series but it's a new season. The last season was really cool

yeah cool cheers, thats what i meant. i saw the first season was pretty interesting.

Edited by Paradox

don't care how traditional it is...those poor monkeys with their young falling from the trees is not something I would want to be a part of.

seems really tacky to see them in clothes particularly cheap nasty shirts and skirts..who the fuck ever told them they should wear clothes...sometimes I just have to shake my head at the intrusion of some cultures into others.

the SAPO session was of particular interest...looking forward to that myself.. :puke:

H.

if you lived with them you would be expected to eat those monkeys or maybe go hungry or offend!

it seemed they choose to wear clothes now,and objected to being asked to go naked for the media.

i dont have broadband so i've never seen sapo done,very interesting ,not really what i expected,didnt seem,heart thumping or sweat pouring.

didnt think you could wash it off and it would stop like that.

judging by the copious watery liquid he was spewing i think the aspect of preloading with liquids need more attention!i think he prob was preloaded.

also was not expecting the dose to be so tiny.....glad i saw that!

t s t .

don't care how traditional it is...those poor monkeys with their young falling from the trees is not something I would want to be a part of.

seems really tacky to see them in clothes particularly cheap nasty shirts and skirts..who the fuck ever told them they should wear clothes...sometimes I just have to shake my head at the intrusion of some cultures into others.

the SAPO session was of particular interest...looking forward to that myself.. :puke:

H.

yeah thats a MASSIVE issue. actually that was one of the things about this show which i thought was very unethical/fucked. in the first season, i think it was the episode where he was in a remote part of the papua new guinnean mountains & if i remember correctly the crew visited a tribe who had had very very very little, if any contact with white man/the modern world. which = the beginning of the end for their culture & their universe. it's a very complex issue & very saddening. i enjoyed watching the show but i am extremely against exploiting people like this (& effectively starting the process of their cultures decimation) simply for fat western consumers entertainment.

i guess theres another side to this argument though which is that with the expansion of modern consumerist humanity, these cultures are doomed anyway & it may be a good thing that their way of lives are being documented in some way before they dissapear. but speeding up this process by contacting these tribes this way simply for entertainment i find extremely exploitative & kind of sickening

without people like Bruce Parry the general western population would have no idea that these tribes exist and why it is important to protect their habitat. Bruce does not intent to show these cultures in any depth and it is unfair that he is often criticised for this as his intention is to raise awareness with the largest number of 'average' TV viewers.

As for introducing them to western goods and traditions, I doubt a TV crew staying there for a few days or even weeks will have anywhere as much impact as the various missionaries that set up camp intentionally long term.

I think he did a great job...but can't help wonder why we as westerners have to know and have to judge or inflict our views upon them..that part kinda sickens me even though I was thoroughly entranced in watching. lately I have been depressed beyond my wildest dreams as feel there is nothing worth living for or doing, but watching those people gave me some sort of kick and made me feel good..what the hell is that... :(

have to agree with Paradox it is inevitable that these last few tribes and cultures are doomed...such is the western machine and its need to know and conquer.

those fucking roaches and sandflies would be hard to deal with along with the heat and smells..tough as boots our Bruce.

H.

and in return our cultures have been infected with many of the most potent drug plants on the planet and the richness of experience etc that entheogens etc have to offer ........then we extracted cocaine and made some crack.......

t s t .

Bruce Perry's Amazon show is on cable right now, they're doing the ayahasca ceremony... really interesting.

VVVV a running commentary VVVV

Cutting up B. caapi the width of your thigh!

... shit they drink four litres of the stuff. :o

and Bruce Perry threw it all up :( poor guy, no transcendent journey for Bruce :(

... and now we learn that the ayahuasca he drank only had B. caapi, no chacruna!

So he goes on to do another Ayahuasca ceremony in Iquitos, one of those touristy ones, drinks a shot of Ayahuasca (caapi + viridis)....

... throws up ...

... talks to a snake ...

... goes into an epic battle with his own ego ...

and goes and plays football in a dress!

... credits roll, the end.

Edited by Undergrounder

So he goes on to do another Ayahuasca ceremony in Iquitos, one of those touristy ones, drinks a shot of Ayahuasca (caapi + viridis)....

... throws up ...

... talks to a snake ...

... goes into an epic battle with his own ego ...

and goes and plays football in a dress!

... credits roll, the end.

yeah awesome episode!!! was also datura in the 2nd aya ceremony.... fark that!

other good shows to watch that explore plants uses are Ray Mears series and man vs wild!

what channel on cable was that guys..?

You know how cable is they re run things a million times, I wanna scan the guide for it and see when its back on again and series link and record the series.

H.

there were a couple of good episodes in the first season where he went and partook in an iboga ritual. pretty intense. in another episode he had a go at virola resin snuff with the babongo tribe i think. he seemed to be quite impressed with it's effects and experienced a lot of revelations.

Hunab it was Bruce Perry's 'Amazon' show, can't remember what channel, maybe BBC Knowledge. It wasn't the 'Tribe' series.

Ahh cool thanks..I was looking for Tribe thru discovery and discovery travel didn't realise it was a BBC jobby..thanks man.

H.