The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle. S

acacia harvesting in perth!??

hi guys,

i had a bit of a query about harvesting bark from trees, acacias in particular. from what i could find it seems that trees die through bark harvesting because they become exposed to bacteria (is this right?) so i was wondering if there is any way to protect a tree after bark has been stripped like with glad wrap even? this might be a stupid question but yeah if anyone can help me out that would be great. dont worry im not after acacias in the wild, i live in perth where as far as i know there arent any acacias that generally get targeted for this sort of thing. i was curious because im growing acacia obtusifolia and would like to be able to use the bark without destroying the tree. but if this is not possible i will just stick with the leaves. has anyone had/heard success stories doing extractions with obtusifolia leaves? thankyou in advance for any advice!

Gladwrap wouldn't breath well enough I wouldn't think, might lead to rot or the death of a full ring of bark.

Bandages perhaps.

hi guys,

i live in perth where as far as i know there arent any acacias that generally get targeted for this sort of thing. i was curious because im growing acacia obtusifolia

hey man! just wanted to know if you got your seeds/plant in perth??? Do you know of any good shops?

was curious because im growing acacia obtusifolia and would like to be able to use the bark without destroying the tree. but if this is not possible i will just stick with the leaves. has anyone had/heard success stories doing extractions with obtusifolia leaves? thankyou

you're extracting acacia resin to bind something that needs sticking together i reckon? anything else would possibly be bordering on the realms of NO..

yeah thats the one. on another note has anyone ever heard of somebody extracting tryptamines from obtusifolia leaf with any real success? possibly in a country where this is legal?

on another note has anyone ever heard of somebody extracting tryptamines from obtusifolia leaf with any real success

yes its possible...in fact its advisable so as not to strip bark. slightly lower content but hey its a better choice particularly when you grow own.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

on another note has anyone ever heard of somebody extracting tryptamines from obtusifolia leaf with any real success

yes its possible...in fact its advisable so as not to strip bark. slightly lower content but hey its a better choice particularly when you grow own. A. Acuminata might be a better choice for you.

H.

cool :) thanks very much for your help guys

Yeah, there's type of timber sealant used that will protect exposed wood from parasites and stuff.

You can get it from woodworking stores, and maybe even paint suppliers.

Or just call your local tree surgeon.

That pyllodes are perfecty good has been confirmed on numerous occasions to me. I think this is the best option in many cases.

Sealant may be good for prunning jobs but if your going to harvest bark take down the whole tree and consider also utilising the rootbark if you don't need it to sucker.

RB has low to negligable yeild, Or so a fairy told me :P

has anyone heard or seen any first hand accounts of bacterial infection in acacias due to stripping/cutting/harvesting?

are these trees more or maybe less susceptible to this type of damage? me thinks they might be a fighter :) like our tricho friends who cop a beating but still stay strong

mu i've seen many stripped trees and most of them are fine, but the areas above the stripped bark often lose leaves/limbs and dies. Not usually deadly to the tree (unless its completely ring-barked), but certainly damaging.

Yeah I've seen stripped trees also and it usually affects the growth on the side the stripping has been taken from... like undergrounder says....they will boot on and live unless you really ring em good...anyone doing that is a complete ass and doesn't know the first thing about plants/hort...most ethno harvesters would at least be aware not to ring bark and kill a tree...if they do then I'm sure the tree spirits will kick there fair ass upon first toke.

H.

Normal house paint can be used to wounds in trees to prevent infection.

Tree wound pruning sealer can be bought.

Some guy on a Bonsai Forum recommends wood glue (but that may be only for indoor plants).

I have no experience with Acacias, but sealing wounds is often important.

Good luck

I use to have this stuff called tree bandage which was like a special bandage coated with a combo of nutrients and antibacterial products itwas meant to be used for grafting and covering off damaged sections of tree I'm talking years ago though so I wouldn't have any idea where it came from local nursury I'm thinking though

Some guy on a Bonsai Forum recommends wood glue (but that may be only for indoor plants).

PVA isn't waterproof, you could probably get away with something like Bondcrete outside though. It'd look better than paint too.

I take it you must be making dyes using the red coloured bark for fabric... good on you for making your own clothes hehe.

In this case you can't use the leaves but they could be handy for other things in large enough ammounts and have tried a sample of a vitality promoting infusion onto a herb mixture made by somebody else which definitely did promote vitality :wink:.

My advice would be simply to wait until limbs were big enough and just cut the whole branch off for dying purposes. As long as you use certain (unfortunatley synthetic in most cases) chemical dustings there should not be much of a risk of bacteria or fungal (the big one to watch out for) contamination from the purpose. The only downside is it will stress the plant and stress is a big factor of resiliance to insect problems. But if you keep an eye on any injuries and make sure there are no dramas then as long as the main trunk is left completely intact you should not have any problems, whereas stripping bark from a main trunk cuts off part of the vascular system that stretches out and branches from ever single leaf down to the roots and thus safer to just cut a whole limb off.

Remember being bored in highschool science and putting celery or whatever into food dye so you could the xylem (transports water and nutrients from roots upwards) and phloem (transports shit made in photosynthesis down to the roots)???

And yes you are right in saying that there are no useful acacias in WA for dyeing purposes.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-