The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
watertrade

member number one

Just wondering...

is there a member number 1?

of the 4xxx members now how many are active ( say in the last 6 months )

Torsten can you get forum statistics?

just curious.

:)

don't know ho member #1 is. I think it was my admin account which froze in a move and then got deleted. In the rpevious incarnation of this forum we still had to delete inactive members because the system couldn't cope with large numbers.

don't know how many active ones at the moment, but a year ago it was about 1400 in 12 months. Probably slightly less ...1200 .... in 6 months, but I didn't check that.

I've tried to do a few clean ups, but many members who haven't posted for a year or two [and even some who have never posted but have been here that long] replied to say that they wanted their accounts kept active. So now I don't bother cleaning them out anymore. I might do a batch in a year or so and delete anyone who hasn't posted in 2 years.

hmm just curious, why does is say there are registered users in the 2000's while there are members with numbers in the 4000's?

cheers

Edit: does that make sense?

Edited by peaceful_son

that was actually somewhat answered in my previous reply. in the old days I used to clean out members who were inactive for more than 12 months. This was to keep the files smaller. Now that it uses a database it doesn't matter as much.

ie, you will find a lot of the numbers between 1 and 1500 missing.

Greetings T, Ahh The Good ole days!

This Post brought back some good memories of the beginnings of the forums.

So many have come and gone, So Many will be remembered & Forgotten.

Anyway this post has also prompted me to ask When exactly is the forums birthday?

Bugger, I worked out the birthday to within about 3 months a couple of years ago, but now have forgotten. I think I might have posted about it at the time, so will do a search for it .

The original forum was an online mailing list, but we soon outgrew that and moved to a UBB forum.

What I do remember is that we are the second oldest entheobotany forum in the world that is still going. Entheogen.com beats us by a few months.

This is what the website used to look like Nov 28, 1999 [well, kinda. it seems to have cached some of the wrong images in the wrong places]:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000607190535/...ageframeset.htm

This is the UBB forum in it's early days with just 249 members [Nov 28, 1999]:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000621010305/...gi/Ultimate.cgi

I just remembered that I started 'something' in feb/march 99 or 2000. I can't remember now if it was the UBB forum or the prior mailing list. Will ponder this a bit more to see if I can pin in down. I guess I better work it out soon so we can prepare for a big 10th birthday party :shroomer:

Shop opened in mid 99. Does anyone remember if the mailing list started before or after? We moved to UBB in March 2000. For the life of me I can't remember how long before UBB we ran the mailing list... :scratchhead:

looked over "19100" which i guess is some strange way of saying 2000 :)

(yes, i am procrastinating today)

Edited by coin

What I do remember is that we are the second oldest entheobotany forum in the world that is still going. Entheogen.com beats us by a few months.

lol that's pretty cool. It seems like these forums are a good reference for people wanting to learn about enthogens and the culture surrounding them. I've seen that erowid have a few links to what's been written on the forums and a bit of your work as well torsten. Have you ever met any significant people in the enthogen community? A. Hofmann perhaps?

Thanks coin. Yes, that would have been march 2000. so the change over from mailing list to UBB must have been in march. Now we just have to work out how long the mailing list ran.

I've seen that erowid have a few links to what's been written on the forums and a bit of your work as well torsten. Have you ever met any significant people in the enthogen community? A. Hofmann perhaps?

yes, I've met Hofmann. Also Shulgin, Ott, Raetsch, Mueller-Ebeling, Stamets, Samorini, Gartz, etc. A lot of my motivation comes from the inspiration provided by these people. But while the big guns are great for inspiration, I've learnt a lot more from the more obscure researchers, so be mindful that I admire them just as much - if not more.

btw, a lot of my contributions to erowid are anonymous. I am cautious about leaving archival content in my name where I have no control over it. Who knows, I might have to apply for a USA visa one day :rolleyes:

yes, I've met Hofmann. Also Shulgin, Ott, Raetsch, Mueller-Ebeling, Stamets, Samorini, Gartz, etc. A lot of my motivation comes from the inspiration provided by these people. But while the big guns are great for inspiration, I've learnt a lot more from the more obscure researchers, so be mindful that I admire them just as much - if not more.

wow dude, lucky lol!!! I can only hope one day i'll meet hofmann in another plain of existance. Ashamedly i admit to not knowing who the others are and untill today actually thinking that T. McKenna was still alive. I've been into enthogens and developing a philosophy around my experience with them, but only now am i beginning to branch out and learn about these types of people and what they bring, so i have a lot more to learn, but you know, don't we all. That's a good point about the more obscure researchers, just because someone has more media attention or a larger following doesn't make their ideas more solid than someone in their basement, only better known. Although i'm not saying you can't learn from them.

So what was it like meeting Albert? Did you talk to him for long? What did you talk to him about? Did you shake his hand then scrap the the top layer or skin off and preserve it? That's what i would have done lol.

cheers

i admit to not knowing who the others are

Do a search on the mycology forum for stamets.

Ott has compiled some of the early ayahuasca work [and a lot more].

Shulgin is a chemist who rediscovered MDMA and many other related comounds, but is also a wealth of knowledge on plant constituents.

Gartz also did a lot of work on Psilocybe mushrooms.

Raetsch wrote the encyclopedia everyone here should own and consult before asking questions ;)

Samorini did the research in Phalaris and later iboga.

So what was it like meeting Albert? Did you talk to him for long? What did you talk to him about?

I mostly listened. It was at the after party of a conference and he was chatting about a lot of things. Most of it didn't interest me too much [lots of historical stuff], but I was all ears when it came to hydergine.

Did you shake his hand then scrap the the top layer or skin off and preserve it? That's what i would have done lol.

LOL, yes, I shook his hand.

Probably the most memorable moment was when he followed us onto the dancefloor [we were at an amsterdam techno club] and cut in on the cute girls we were dancing with. he did a bit of twisting and mamboing [like a 40 year old!!] and then got a big hug from the girls. he was still so agile and coherent at that age [10 years ago].

bottom of webstore says.....

4429764 open minded people have been here since Wednesday 01 July, 1998

10th bithday next month?

t s t .

the shop and the forum did not start at the same time. But yes, the shop first opened in July. However, I think I got the year wrong when I wrote that as I am sure it wasn't till July 1999. I am having real problem piecing all this together as I don't have any computer records from before 2000.

Just checked the domain records and they don't start till 1999, so we definitely did not start in 1998.

It's starting to fit together a bit better.

April 1999 - domain registration

July 1999 - webstore goes live

late 1999 - discussion mailing list

march 2000 - forum

Gartz also did a lot of work on Psilocybe mushrooms.

Raetsch wrote the encyclopedia everyone here should own and consult before asking questions ;)

Probably the most memorable moment was when he followed us onto the dancefloor [we were at an amsterdam techno club] and cut in on the cute girls we were dancing with. he did a bit of twisting and mamboing [like a 40 year old!!] and then got a big hug from the girls. he was still so agile and coherent at that age [10 years ago].

heh heh, dancing with albert is cooler than shaking his hand! i'll look into those researchers you mentioned but Gartz and Raetsch interest me the most so far. I had a psych teacher in school we called Gartz lol.

cheers

the shop and the forum did not start at the same time. But yes, the shop first opened in July. However, I think I got the year wrong when I wrote that as I am sure it wasn't till July 1999. I am having real problem piecing all this together as I don't have any computer records from before 2000.

Just checked the domain records and they don't start till 1999, so we definitely did not start in 1998.

It's starting to fit together a bit better.

April 1999 - domain registration

July 1999 - webstore goes live

late 1999 - discussion mailing list

march 2000 - forum

So SAB should be having a birthday party pretty soon then....? ;)

very true. how should we celebrate?

log fire and a snifter of Port.

I will wait to hear what the old boys of the forum to decide they want to do.

I'm a newbie around here and will be up for anything. :)

Edited by watertrade

"very true. how should we celebrate?"

'Cuz they say two thousand zero zero party over

Oops out of time

So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999

Could there be any other way?

We could change the logo for a week or so. Nothing special, Maybe a nice birthday celebration banner. We could make a competition for the new logo! Everyone who is able to photoshop is allowed to give it a try and the best logo wins! I would donate some Trichocereus seed to the winner! To appreciate the input. bye Eg

I like the banner idea but I thought there would be more interest in an actual get together? camping trip ?

Don't know how do-able that is, but it would be very cool.