The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

My Book- "Entheogens, Psychoactives and other Ethnobotanicals"

An interesting comment by another "Teo".

Not really, Nymphaeaceae is a basal angiosperm whereas Nelumbonaceae is in order clade eudicot, order proteales.

Nelumbonaceae therefore has more in common with our Papaveraceae then with Nymphaea, hence the similar alkaloid chemistry. They are literally miles apart. This is according to APGII which is probably the most accepted system of plant taxonomy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APG_II_system

Always thought it was funny when people said Nymphaeaceae and Nelumbonaceae were related hence the same alkaloids, isoquinoline alkaloids dont seem to make an appearance untill further down the evolutionary line. Nymphaeceae contains the more prehistoric quinolizidine alkaloids.

Yes I know same old story, teo dont believe in aporphine alkaloids from Nymphaea:D

Teotz I have to say I agree that books or guides generally arnt written by newbies, but I will encourage you to continue with the book as you will learn alot and you never know when you may unearth somthing which the wider community doesnt know yet. My only suggestion is atleast do most of the book yourself before posting it so that people can see you have put alot of work into it.

Edited by Teotz'

Nymphaea is water lily. Nelumbo is lotus. They are related, but not the same and should be listed separately, not as one.

Are you asking others to write your book for you? There are a lot of blank spaces there.

It would be to your benefit to do the research yourself; you would learn more.

you are correct!

And i have changed the mother document!

I'll update soon!

Thanks!

Edited by Teotz'

Please defect to canada Teotz, your making us americans look bad

LMFAO!! :lol::lol: Seriously, though, a person could write that book by U-ingTF-ingSE :huh: Just make sure you credit every member here and elsewhere or pay us royalties or something FFS :P

BTW, have you noticed that some sites consider any material posted on them as their property unless previously copywritten (sp?) or otherwise protected? You may want to consider that.

U ^ guys are mean :P

*trying darndest to bite tongue*

My Book, what a joke

Isn't it more common for knowlegable people to write books rather than noobs?

Not having a go at you here, but why would you want to write a book about something you obviously know so little about? There are plenty of mediocre to good ethnobotany books around. The last thing we need is another crap one.

If you can't do a book that is better than an existing one or at least a better format than an existing one then what's the point?

Or am I missing something. Please enlighten us.

Nymphaea is water lily. Nelumbo is lotus. They are related,

Not really, Nymphaeaceae is a basal angiosperm whereas Nelumbonaceae is in order clade eudicot, order proteales. Nelumbonaceae therefore has more in common with our Papaveraceae then with Nymphaea, hence the similar alkaloid chemistry. They are literally miles apart. This is according to APGII which is probably the most accepted system of plant taxonomy.

Always thought it was funny when people said Nymphaeaceae and Nelumbonaceae were related hence the same alkaloids, isoquinoline alkaloids dont seem to make an appearance untill further down the evolutionary line. Nymphaeceae contains the more prehistoric quinolizidine alkaloids.

Yes I know same old story, teo dont believe in aporphine alkaloids from Nymphaea:D

Teotz I have to say I agree that books or guides generally arnt written by newbies, but I will encourage you to continue with the book as you will learn alot and you never know when you may unearth somthing which the wider community doesnt know yet. My only suggestion is atleast do most of the book yourself before posting it so that people can see you have put alot of work into it.

Amen to that.

Brutha' needs to chill. Grow some plants, man.

And which publisher exactly will buy this text that you will have others write for you? And who in the hell will edit it for you? And where will you generate photographic content? And how will you pay the people who actually provide the intellectual property for your magnum opus?

Teotz, I haven't given you any static since you were banned from the other USA based sites. I don't understand what you are doing, but you seem to be consistently driven to dredge the ethnobotanical community for information.

What the hell are you up to?

What the hell are you up to?

I believe he is mining information for a media outlet. I wouldn't mind if he does so as long as he is open and honest about it.

is that really possible auxin? good luck with the book teotz!

I dunno, but hes deffinitely up to something. I dunno if its as legit as that. He approached me for iboga seeds/cuttings, I of course told him NO as that would be illegal & told him never to PM me again, he PM'd 5 mins later :rolleyes: . This was at the Nook where he got canned soon after.

I believe he is a threat to our community & most likely members here too & woul advise extreme caution with dealing in any way with him.

:lol: yes we are allowed to defect to canada if we've never been convicted of a felony, never been convicted of a drug violation, and never published anything on drugs. And if you have done any of the above there is always mexico.

Not really, Nymphaeaceae is a basal angiosperm whereas Nelumbonaceae is in order clade eudicot, order proteales. Nelumbonaceae therefore has more in common with our Papaveraceae then with Nymphaea, hence the similar alkaloid chemistry. They are literally miles apart. This is according to APGII which is probably the most accepted system of plant taxonomy.

i'm with u teo,my exp with waterlillies as d2 agonists was disapointing, will retest with nelumbo sometime though.

t s t .

You know what existance rocks dont it. :P

I stand corrected. I'm glad there are some out there on the site who have accurate and up to date taxonomical information. It makes getting old easier. :)

I will be the first to acknowledge that some of my information is out of date. I just can't keep up anymore, let alone stay ahead of anybody.

I read recently that waterlilies were one of the earliest flowering plants to evolve, but can't remember where I read it.

Maybe I will get to retire soon.....

Anybody in the market for an entheobotanical herb company?

Edited by friendly

I love this forum. An annoying, and motivationally suspect thread is successfully derailed by a polite discussion on the taxonomy of water lilies.

:wub:

Anybody in the market for an entheobotanical herb company?

WOW. That's a bit out of the blue. Not that I am in the market to buy one, but just wondering if you are really serious?

I'd like to either sell it--or, more likely--find someone to run it for me so I can get my books written. It takes up all my time. I don't get to fish much anymore, either.

I would have to train someone to do the office and lab work, but after the initial steep learning curve, it should not be too bad. That is, if you can stand being trained by an eccentric mad scientist.

Besides, you get to make new things that no one has ever seen before.

I have gotten a few responses already from that little afterthought, and am seriously considering them.

I also have one serious takeover offer from another company, but I would like to keep Omchi independent.

Besides, they already send me so much extraction and bulk herb business that I make more from them in 1- 2 years than they have offered for the company.

Guest Øskorei
WOW. That's a bit out of the blue. Not that I am in the market to buy one, but just wondering if you are really serious?

T, you could be the Rupert of the Ethneo world, we know you're salivating all over your paunch....

Rupert has a big company and buys little companies. I doubt that my annual turnover [let alone profit] would be close to what friendly's business would cost.

Anyway, if I was to start buying other herb companies everyone would start whining about me creating a monopoly or some shit like that.

Seriously, friendly's company would be one business I would be interested in because of the work it does, the customers it has and the ethics it operates under, but not overseas.

Where you located friendly. Im curious about cost too pm!!

Thank you, Torsten for the fine compliments.

I'm just outside of Eugene, in darkest Oregon.

It rains here a lot in the winter, but that makes for many species of fungi and great salmon and steelhead fishing.

Eugene is one hour from the ocean and one hour from the high cascades and skiing, hiking, etc.

Hardly ever snows here. An inch shuts down the town because they don't have snowplows.

I'm really looking for someone to run the company so I can get two books written.

I wouldn't advise anyone to relocate unless they really want to train with/work for an eccentric, aging ex-anarchist former hippie with a mad scientist streak and a lot of long stories; the job runs from part-time to too much, sometimes. Oh yes; I'm also a tesla coil freak, researching medical applications of pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMF) in my other warehouse, a block away. ( Bwahaahaahaahaa!)

Sometimes, there's nothing to do for days. Well, nothing I can bring myself to do, anyway.

I just want to write, but I still need an income stream for a while so I can.

Lately, a lot of my energy ahs been directed at finding materials relevant to my writing.

I found a Mayan artifact collection from an ex-museum curator and will be heading there in two weeks with all I can afford to spend, both personal and company funds.

He has a beautiful Mayan drinking vessel about 9" high with the Jaguar and water lily painted on it. They are both solar and death/rebirth symbols for the Mayans and show the connection between the Lily and the underworld, or afterlife. He has bufo marinus-painted shamans bowls, hallucinogenic frog whistles, items used for attaining access to the underworld, etc.

He has two houses full of this stuff, and I have seen only about 40 pieces in a powerpoint presentation he sent me.

I also just bought a small ancient Egyptian amulet in the form of Nefertum, the divine personification of the Blue Lily, from another collector, plus some replica tomb inscriptions in stone that feature the Blue Lily.

Buying these things is much easier than getting permission from a museum to photograph their exhibits.

And it helps me get my attention focussed on the books.

Edited by friendly

...but how can you be sure of the authenticity ? Beware !!!