The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mark80

Buying a bike

Hey,

Can anyone reccomened a 250cc motorbike? I need one for going to uni everyday on my 30K round trip. Looking for something witha good fuel economy cause i'm currently spending 60+$ a week on my car:( Nothing over 7K preferably.

Cheers!

honda CBR in the road version

my brother had one, and well honda are very reliable, expensive parts in comparison to say suzuki, but being more expensive they are made with higher quality materials than units that have cheaper parts.

honda can be more up front, but they end up costing less in the long run when you consider the turn around of cheaper bike make parts.

i had a suzuki 250 across, or gsx 250, it was ok, gutless pig, and the parts were cheap but!!!

i had to replace them more often than my brother,or my mate who had a CBR 250. so finally i lost out finacally.

so my next bike was a honda 750, and well it never stoped, i could leave it in the garage for 4-6 months while i went traveling and it always stared up on the first turnover of the engine.

i was a little particular with oil changes tho. (had my own meathod to maximise the cleanlyness of the engine).

honda id dirt bike's dunno anything sorry.

well if ya want something fun i'd stay away from the small 4 strokes and get a 2 stroke 250cc, they are a blast, but need regular maintenance (something that is good to learn anyway)

Suzuki rgv's are good value for money and will lick the road clean of those pesky cbr 250's :innocent_n: should be able to get a good condition one for about 3-4k

But if you really want to have a pocket rocket, grab an aprilia rs250 :drool2: You should find one for under 7k and it will smoke any other 250 on the road. for 30 k trips these things are perfect! not so good on the engines if your going to sit on the highway at 110 though, they prefer to be revved and cooled.

HERE"S your bike Have fun! :devil:

bikes are an individual thing. the bikes ive had and luv'd others have hated. its not much fun ridin with lo bars in relatively slow urban conditions (ur a hoon Fool' :P). Go ride all the bikes that are in the price range and do it for a few weeks at least. the longer u test ride, the better u get at feelin which one is right. DON"T buy the first bike u fall in luv with. Salesmen play on that hi u have after returnin from a test ride.

Take defensive driver training serious. wen it comes to ridin a bike, u soon learn that they are all out to get u ;)

thanks everyone:)

I was looking at the CBR250rr. I want a road bike not a dirt bike because i have to go home on 100k zone with a few trucks and stuff. I don't have my license yet i was going to buy a bike first then learn to ride. seems silly but... The stroy goes: My dad promised to buy me a bike if i do well on my exams, i looked into going to riding school but they want ~500$ to teach me how to ride, thats a little expensive so dad said we'll buy a bike and i'll teach you how to ride.

SO yeah thats why i am looking for opinions and stuff because i'm lost otherwise.

That asprilla looks so cool!

Oh yeah ideally should have pillion seat and pegs... you know for when i need to take someone for a ride :)

The 2 stokes are great if your a midget and are only going to the shops and back Id be looking for a 4stroke gsxf or a hyosung or something

if you need it learner legal I recommend a gs500 - I used to spend about $60 of fuel every 1.5 weeks. but on the bike its about $15 / $20

if you are doing highway riding I find a larger (larger than 250) easier and more comfortable to do longer trips - I am still a learner though.

if you need it learner legal I recommend a gs500 - I used to spend about $60 of fuel every 1.5 weeks. but on the bike its about $15 / $20

if you are doing highway riding I find a larger (larger than 250) easier and more comfortable to do longer trips - I am still a learner though.

state legislation says i can't get anything bigger than a 250cc, sucks hey?.

Aghh sounds silly whats the different strokes?

refers to the number of strokes the piston takes for each firing sequence,

ie 2 stroke fires once for every up and down stroke hence 2 stroke

so when the engine fires the first stroke is the power/exhaust stroke down. Near the bottom of this stroke the exhaust gases are released when the piston passes the exhaust port ie valveless, the next stroke is the compression/intake stroke as this stroke starts up, the combustion mix is drawn in through the crankcase by the vacuum from the upwards stroke. This mix is drawn into the cylinder from the crankcase via an inlet channel from crankcase to cylinder space by the next power/exhaust stroke

a 4 stroke fires once for every 2 up and 2 down strokes, 4 strokes altogether

so when the engine fires the first stroke is the power stroke down, the next stroke up (exhaust) pushes out exhaust gases, third stroke down (intake) draws in combustion mix, 4th stroke is the compression stroke compressing the mix for combustion and back to the beginning all controlled by valve timing

2 strokes burn oils as engine lubricant (mixed with fuel) and for this reason will likely be completely outlawed very soon, whereas a four stroke uses a recirculation system for engine lube!

first off, state laws permitting, you won't be allowed to carry a passenger just yet.

secondly, you've probably got the right idea with the double r. they'll smoke anything in their price range because they are so popular over here. everyone gets them for their 250 license, so they're everywhere.

thirdly, cbr's are not for cruising to the shops. they pretty much shouldn't be taken on short trips. for a tiny little engine they have four cylinders, four carbies, they rev bloody hard and they run hot.

i dunno about four-stroke options, but they'd probably be the more comfortable option for long-ass hauls, which i take to be your intention.

2 strokes burn oils as engine lubricant (mixed with fuel) and for this reason will likely be completely outlawed very soon, whereas a four stroke uses a recirculation system for engine lube!

This is true, but only for the reason that the crank case is essentially a part of the intake system in that it is used for the vacuum of combustion gases through the crank case into the cylinder,

I would say there should be an easy way to bypass the crankcase eg an electric turbo which could be used to both draw out exhaust gases and force in combustion mix ignoring/removing the vacuum created in the crank case and allowing it to be filled with oil just as a 4 stroke is

2 strokes are the bomb for power, although the power is delivered very specifically, hence the much sought after 2 stroke power band. This is what will throw you off the bike if you are a learner and the rgv or aprilia is probably not a good idea for a starter learner while the cbr is a very gentle performer.

The problem with riding two strokes on long journeys is that the pistons or piston bores become glazed (get a thin layer of deposit on them) which increases friction, decreases power/engine life etc due to the cylinder temps and temperature distribution achieved on these low revving but steady rides

They must be ridden hard to avoid this :drool2:

well FB is a 2 stroke fan!!!!!

thats all good, and 2 strokes are fun, however almost unpredictable power bans for inexperienced riders is a little bit hairy at first!!!!.

personally i took on the 4 stroke approtch, cause well with more power comes more cost of running, plus that dang smoke they produce from the burnt engine oil from each ignition.

although 4 strokes can sound like a hairdryer, i felt more comfortable with a hair dryer tha a coin in the can sound...

so although i wanted a fast bike and this is exactly what you will get with a 2 stroke hands down.

wait until your permitted to get bigger 4 stroke, then go burn the kids on 250, 2 strokes!!!

4 strokes have got much longer legs when you get down the road!!! (bigger bikes i mean)

and besides having a bike licence is invaluable for when you ever decide to travel,

Edited by jasemateau

if youre stuck with 250cc restriction, put the Yamaha XT250 on the short list. Its a good all-rounder thats cheap to run. 6 speed gearbox gives u speed for freeway and light weight gives u good lo down speed and fuel economy. Speed is a tool that motorcyclists can use to not be at the scene of the accident.

If you cant even ride yet, burnin' people off should not be your consideration. Avoidance of gravel rash and avoiding vehicular contacts is the goal.

Ride em all a few times before you decide.

if youre stuck with 250cc restriction, put the Yamaha XT250 on the short list. Its a good all-rounder thats cheap to run. 6 speed gearbox gives u speed for freeway and light weight gives u good lo down speed and fuel economy.

Just about ALL 250cc bikes are 6 speed. The XT250 is a road/trail (he wants a road bike) and would probably have him craving more power and fun after a couple of months riding one.

The CBR250rr would be a great starter bike. In-line 4 cylinder with plenty of USABLE power, revs out to nearly 19000rpm! with a top speed of about 185kph, not bad for a 250cc bike.

They can be riden as hard or easy as you like, are alot more user friendly than a 2 stroke, and generally more reliable and ecconomical.

2 strokes are fun/powerful when running well, but do require more regular tuning and maintenance, are are probably better suited too a rider with at least a little experience (when talking 2 stroke performace road bikes).

Goodluck and be safe :)

Edited by ReclusE

4 cylinders and 19000rpm sound a bit expensive to run compared to 1 cylinder and 5000rpm. The XT is 30 kilos lighter than the honda. I would argue that the ability to traverse stairs would be a more realistic capability for evading pursuit in an urban envion that running at 185km/hr.

actually, id stay away from 185km/hr in the first 6 months because if someones gonna take a spill, id put my money on the NEWB, and it can real hurt at that speed.

But evidently, there are lots of factors to consider. Is a Trail bike much good to you if you want to spend your weekends blasting around the local twisties, within your limits if your wise? If economy is a critical factor and getting "to and from" in the city is the major concerned, lotsa potential speed on a track will be an unnecessary expense. But imagine going to Boolfreaths Aprilia Emporium and riding the AfiZ BNG 250 Balistic Trainer. It would be easy to manipulate you into buying such an awesome machine even though, for most of the time, you wont be riding it in an environment to do it justice. And similarly with all the bikes you ride to start with. THEY'RE ALL FUN. :devil:

So ride lots of test rides, heaps of times. Youre a serious buyer and once you get that point thru to the sales team, the more eager they will be to let you ride to get you high so you will sign. they know other preditors (for want of a better werd :P ) will be giving you test rides. (this is assuming you get a license they/their insurance trusts).

Think about how youre going to use the bike and how much money you want to pour into the whole thing. Beware the lust factor. :wink:

4 cylinders and 19000rpm sound a bit expensive to run compared to 1 cylinder and 5000rpm. The XT is 30 kilos lighter than the honda. I would argue that the ability to traverse stairs would be a more realistic capability for evading pursuit in an urban envion that running at 185km/hr.

actually, id stay away from 185km/hr in the first 6 months because if someones gonna take a spill, id put my money on the NEWB, and it can real hurt at that speed.

Just because a bike can be reved out to nearly 19000 rpm and reach 185 kph does'nt mean you have too, most decent cars can do 185 kph or more, but rarely do. Its nice to know the power is there though when you want to overtake quickly and safely.

I wouldn't recommend speeding excessively as a learner OR evading pursuit, being it in an urban enviroment or not.

Having a bit of extra power there when you need it, or when you grow into it is appealing though, something the XT won't have.

The XT might be 30 kilos lighter (i'll take your word for it) but it also has a much higher center of gravity, inferior brakes, tyres and susspension compared to a CBR, which would make the XT less safe to road ride imo.

As for running costs, any 250 is going to be pretty damn economical compared to a car, especially if its riden sensibly.

Remember the thread strater stated he wants a ROAD bike, NOT a dirt bike, which is why I backed his decision to go for the CBR.

Edited by ReclusE

Kawasaki Zxr250's are pretty good (I'm a bit bias though ;))

From memory they have a 17 litre tank with 3 of those being reserve, they do about 220k's to a tank on the highway (14litres)

Rev to 19500, and have seen mine do 210kph at redline, quite a quick bike for a 250.

Be sure to add other expenses on top, keep in mind tyres are around $200 a pop and always buy good saftey gear, don't skimp on the most important part/s!

A good piece of advice from a friend once said "When riding pretend cars are out to get you" Always be on alert, It doesn't take much to come off.

Kawasaki Zxr250's are pretty good (I'm a bit bias though ;))

Tell me about it Dodie, I owned a 93 model many years ago, nearly all my bikes over the years have been green :wink:

Good advice about the safety gear too, always get the best you can afford.

Edited by ReclusE

one thing that hasnt bin mentioned that may help you with your choice is that acceleration can be a most effective weapon against accidents trying to involve you. So if you think you'll need this ability at 100km/hr more often that not, again the Aprillia or some close wannabe may be the way to go. Again, it comes down to how it feels, not what I might think would be any good to ya.

when you inquire about the bike, ask about running costs, like services, cost of replacing tyres (the best you can get. tyres are super serial) frequency of service so you dont have any mid term surprises, $wise.

of course you realise, mark80 we will be expecting a write-up on all the bikes mentioned above plus all the others you test, with pics?

:lol:

when you inquire about the bike, ask about running costs, like services, cost of replacing tyres (the best you can get. tyres are super serial) frequency of service so you dont have any mid term surprises, $wise.

Yep, thats the thing that sucks about owning a bike (apart for dealing with dodgy drivers and rain) The spare parts are bloody expensive :angry:

Don't skimp on the parts that count like tyres, brakes, chain & sprockets, use good quality lubes and change/apply them regularly.

Having said that, quite a bit of $ can be saved by going for certain after market parts (genuine parts are a killer).

Bikes are pretty easy to work on too, if you feel confident, get familiar with doing your own maintenance (owners manual is essential) and alot of money can be saved.

state legislation says i can't get anything bigger than a 250cc, sucks hey?.

Aghh sounds silly whats the different strokes?

Yeah it’s a funny way of limiting learners - NSW and the ACT have a KW/ton rating - heavy powerful bikes are still learner legal for

Example. Harley Davison 1999 FSX series ( @ 1449 cc) has ratio of 128 KW/Ton.

The ZXR250 (249cc) is at 133 KW/ton

Anything under 150 KW/ton is legal.

The harley is a 292Kg bike!

Never buy a Harley! ;)

Yeah it’s a funny way of limiting learners - NSW and the ACT have a KW/ton rating - heavy powerful bikes are still learner legal for

Example. Harley Davison 1999 FSX series ( @ 1449 cc) has ratio of 128 KW/Ton.

The ZXR250 (249cc) is at 133 KW/ton

Anything under 150 KW/ton is legal.

The harley is a 292Kg bike!

Never buy a Harley! ;)

mark80

Psychonaut

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,465

Climate or location: north QLD

Hey,

Can anyone reccomened a 250cc motorbike? I need one for going to uni everyday on my 30K round trip. Looking for something witha good fuel economy cause i'm currently spending 60+$ a week on my car:( Nothing over 7K preferably.

Cheers!

wow never thought learners could ride larger than 250cc legaly anyware in aus very interesting

rgv's are definately fun but not a learners bike unless you are an experienced motor X rider helps so much....a mate of mine bought [an across] to learn on

thought he would kill him self on it but he is still alive stacked it a total of 4 times[his fault] run of the road countless times now he has a full licence and larger bike hasnt drop that yet...... take care be safe and remember people dont see you very well untill you fly across there car bonnet and then cartwheeling down the road and into a steel saftey barrier :angry:

but other than all that its fuckin awsesome riding motor cylces :drool2:

so expect to stack whatever bike you get atleast once

Edited by tardistestpilot

At least a topic I can contribute to ;-)

If you are after fuel economy and low maintenance, avoid racy 2 strokes or 4 strokes / 4-cylinders.

I have been riding a Kwaka GPX250 for over a year now and highly recommend it as a trouble-free commuter. Cheap to purchase (5.5K brand new), cheap to insure and cheap to run.

The fuel tank is bigger than average: 19 liters. Filling it up usually costs me about 20 bucks, and with that I can normally ride 350+ Kms before I hit reserve. That's mostly in rush hour Perth traffic.

The riding position is good (upright, no pressure on the wrists) although if you are taller than average you may find it a bit cramped in the legs; I'm a short arse so no problems for me.

The fairings are not as prominent as on other models, so if you bin it (and you most likely will) you won't do too much damage.

They are quick enough to get you in an illegal situation in less than 3 seconds in town, and less than 7 seconds in the countryside.

On the minus points, they look a bit dated (80's design) and the suspension is a bit vague. This last point is unlikely to bother you as a beginner, though. As far as looks go, just rationalise: you can't travel both cheaply and in style :P

Other similar bikes would be the ZZR250 (better looks, same engine, more expensive), or a Honda VTR250 (great naked bikes, but small tank and quite pricy).

For cheap as chips commuting, go for a Honda CB250 or even a Postie.

Hope this helps!

i test rode a zzr250 some years ago for a friend, and its just tooooooo soft. just cant get up and boogie like a inline 4, 4stroke, personally if i had my time again i'd go witha cbr250rr from square one

like i said its a personal opinion,