The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
watertrade

starting an outdoor patch

would the spore 'throwing' method work for somethng like wild sub cultivation? ;)

would the spore 'throwing' method work for somethng like wild sub cultivation? ;)

I think the 'spore thowing' could work but I think it would be unlikely - you are much more likely to have success with spawn. its a numbers thing. a few hundered thousand spores which have to germinate and meet to continue growth. compared to billions of cells of mycelium just wating for a feed.

make some spawn my friend!

Edit: unless of course you have a handfull of spores to mix in. :)

Edited by watertrade

Watertrade, did this fellow end up getting the results he was after?

Watertrade, did this fellow end up getting the results he was after?

not yet! he didn't think about it before but he would have been better burying the box in the ground to retain moisture for a much better chance at fruiting- the box actually got torn to bits by two playful puppies so it was buried close by and will now get the benefit from the rain. the mycelium has actually spread from box (where it was originally) and now in the ground to cover the whole raised flower bed - if the conditions do become favourable it fruits - it could be a good harvest!

What were his watering schedules? Interested in schedule during growth and later. Stamets recommends a light watering morning and evening for fruiting?

What were his watering schedules? Interested in schedule during growth and later. Stamets recommends a light watering morning and evening for fruiting?

it wasn't as often as morning and night - it was much less. maybe that could have been the problem.

:)

I think someone got inspired by this fellow. It appears to be a different species, though. Not quite as thick of rhizomorphs and perhaps slower growing.

post-3181-1201193346_thumb.jpg

post-3181-1201193376_thumb.jpg

Bury the box, you say? Great idea, watertrade!

post-3181-1201194975_thumb.jpg

post-3181-1201195089_thumb.jpg

(sorry for the crappy quality pics)

I've heard it said that woodlovers don't want a mulch any thicker than 6 inches, with faster colonization/shortened time to fructification in shallow beds of about 2 inches depth. We shall see. Also, as many fungi like to fruit at interfaces, grass seed will be sown around the outside cardboard enclosed bed.

EDIT: The top portion of the box was cut away after burying to the ~2.5 in. depth of the mulch (alder.)

Edited by FM.

Bury the box, you say? Great idea, watertrade!

(sorry for the crappy quality pics)

I've heard it said that woodlovers don't want a mulch any thicker than 6 inches, with faster colonization/shortened time to fructification in shallow beds of about 2 inches depth. We shall see. Also, as many fungi like to fruit at interfaces, grass seed will be sown around the outside cardboard enclosed bed.

EDIT: The top portion of the box was cut away after burying to the ~2.5 in. depth of the mulch (alder.)

cool,

having the whole lot in a tub might give you a good chance at really control watering. just make sure there is some kind of drain whole so it doesn't waterlog.

It'd be very easy to setup a basic irrigation system (a drip system would probably be best) in your mate's tub FM (and probably in WT's friend's garden). Simply hook it up to a timer and let it go for gold. If waterlogging was an issue, you could always go for some old fasioned rocks/syrofoam/clay pebbles/plastic chunks in the bottom of the tub. Very curious to see how these all pan out...

It's drilled for drainage, watertrade. It was leftover from some old projects that I'm no longer tinkering with and there's not much good having a storage bin that's got holes drilled in it, so I donated it for this persons project :lol:

You're right, Ace, but personally I really like handwatering. It's very calming :) It also helps me get the feel of what each organism is feeling as they drink. I'm not sure what will be done by the said gardener, though.

Edited by FM.

Someone i met told me he had an outdoor patch of subs going, what he did was take a wild spore print, say a prayer, innoculate a BRF jar, wait for the mycelium to colonate the jar, empty the jar out into a box of Eucalyptus / Pinus chips, mix it around a bit and then bury this spawn in local woodchip beds and gardens all over the place. He told me he's still waiting for this winter to see what the results will be but every time he checks up on the mycelium its growing and spreading happily.

He also tried mixing a giant 2L sprayer bottle of honey water with a few dozen spore print scrapings. The idea was to go out and spray the hell out of the neighbourhood shortly before rain. But despite the mycelium growing happily in the LC, he forgot about it and it quickly became an infested mess.

He definitely thinks BRF spawn is the fastest way to make bulk spawn for woodlovers - quicker than chips.

Edited by Undergrounder

He definitely thinks BRF spawn is the fastest way to make bulk spawn for woodlovers - quicker than chips.

I agree wholeheartedly...

The only concern that I've heard from folks like Stamets (and workman, I believe?) is that materials like BRF and rye berries in outdoor beds attract more pests like rodents and slugs that are after a rich, nutritious meal. Then mycelium gets disturbed or destroyed - no good. That's one reason I'm working with a mineral source of nitrogen (DAP) in my substrate experiments. It shouldn't be too tasty to pests, just fungi.

EDIT: I may even recommend that this person try watering with a dilute soln. of DAP to speed things up a bit - maybe just on one little bit to see what happens.

Edited by FM.

The only concern that I've heard from folks like Stamets (and workman, I believe?) is that materials like BRF and rye berries in outdoor beds attract more pests like rodents and slugs that are after a rich, nutritious meal. Then mycelium gets disturbed or destroyed - no good. That's one reason I'm working with a mineral source of nitrogen (DAP) in my substrate experiments. It shouldn't be too tasty to pests, just fungi.

EDIT: I may even recommend that this person try watering with a dilute soln. of DAP to speed things up a bit - maybe just on one little bit to see what happens.

He first mixed the BRF spawn with Eucalypt chips in boxes and left it there for a month or so to get the myc transferred onto a wood-based medium before spreading that outside, but you're right i'm sure animals might be more attracted to it. I guess it's a bit of a boost compared to spores straight to wood or shavings which is probably slow. Keep us informed on how the DAP experiments work, if i ever grow oysters or something i'm sure it'd be interesting to know.

I may even recommend that this person try watering with a dilute soln. of DAP to speed things up a bit - maybe just on one little bit to see what happens.

Based on my results with increased mold from DAP on wood substrates, I do not recommend this!

Progress:

The above mentioned outdoor patch is reportedly growing nicely, but not as fast as hoped. Considering that certain descriptions of the anonymous fungus say that it grows in "soils littered with woody debris," I have come to the conclusion that this soil/wood contact is necessary for the unsaid species. I conveyed this information to the appropriate parties who had since added another 1.5 inches of alder chips over the bed to increase moisture retention and give more food. The soil level was brought up around to cover a couple of inches of the perimeter of the chips to increase soil/wood contact so the fungus gets it's humus and microbe interactions. Then, wheatgrass was sown in the soil surrounding/partially covering the chips to make sure the fungus gets it's root interactions as well. When I get more progress info or pics, I'll be sure to post them.

Without being a cock, you can very easily fruit Azures, Bohems, Aracanas and Cyans using northern american wood chips without any casing. Our weather is ideal, but our woods are not, hence the use of smoking chips.

Edited by Zen Peddler

Hey WT, how are they going?, starting to wakeup?

"hence the use of smoking chips."

What type of smoking chips would work & what would be best?

under the right conditions mycelium will also colonise moist corrugated cardboard reasonably quickly, sheets/sections can then be layered between wood chips in an outdoor bed. its cheap, so easy its hard to mess up and has minimal risk of contams

Hessians another good one to use, u can roll it up then unroll when colonized.

So and so is having success with the casing soil:

post-3181-1210868690_thumb.jpg

Makes sense, though. This one is found "in soils littered with woody debris" :wink: according to the experts.

so how did all these peoples boxes turn out?would be very interesting to know

I'm sure there will be updates.

if anyone else is looking to make their own outdoor Azures patch let me know, I might be able to help with the Azures culture. :)

im also interested in outdoor patches but as this post is fairly old i was wondering if any culture & some tips for dummies are available