The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psycho0

improving memory

i was also going to agree that in most circumstances purely exercising the muscle is the best remedy. these drugs are more for people already exercising their minds who feel they need a boost, than couch potato dope smokers, who can no longer remember what videos they've watched.

also agree there are meditation techniques that can help- personally, ov all my travels before i got married, i have no photos- i hate them- they rob you ov memories & fix them into little squares. i know people love them for the opposite reason(eg: my wife), but i find them annoying- they never really capture what you percieve.

is gingko better used as one of those supplement pills or as the actual leaf?

would it be safe to use pregnenolone + piracetum + hydergine? thanx

In regards to Ginko; IMO I strongly recommend using the leaf.

Although this may be slightly bias, considering I have a steady supply of high quality, inexpensive Golden Ginko.

Exercising they grey matter, I couldn't agree more.

Reading is much better than watching a documentary on television.

Doing a crossword puzzle or something similar that involves interactive thought is much better than reading.

I probably wasted much of the value of the nootropic diet I was consuming simply because I was drinking booze and doing little mental exercise.

If you decide to purchase a bunch of nootropics I recommend poping down to your local op-shop/ book store/ library/ newsagency and getting:

1 book on meditation/ relaxation

1 book on improving memory/ thought processes

1 book on ...(whatever stimulates/ interests you)

1 magazine "Cluewords"

More suggestions:

The last item on my (previous) list, Melatonin & 5-HTP are great for regulating sleep patterns and also should have positive effects on memory etc.

Read your book on meditation/ relaxation until you peacefully drift off to sleep.

When you wake up (feeling mentally charged) you can mix some protein powder (body building amino acid complex) with soy milk (also benifical, if you like the stuff) and eat it with your cereal.

After you've had your lunch (rich in fish, soy nuts etc.) you can get working on a crossword puzzle whilst sipping your Ginko, Ginseng, St Johns Wort (et al) tea

At any appropriate time during the day (may be mentioned on label) you may wish to pop a few nootro-pills & extracts (i.e Brahmi).

Then towards the end of the day you will probably want to pull out a pen and paper and calculate how much this nootropic diet is costing

"..Wise man say; that once per day to take your brain down memory lane and around the square you live in.."

[ 30. January 2003, 17:27: Message edited by: Adrian ]

all in all, adrians last post is probably the best answer to this topic.

& psychoo- in my previous post i didn't mean to imply that the OP was a couch potato :)

about 1gram of l-glutamine will reverse many of the memory effects of 'pot'.

and may prevent you getting stoned for a while!

about 2grams of lethecin capsules a day will keep your memory working even if you smoke,within limits of course.

herbal smart breakfast ,go into your garden,pick 2 ginko leaves,2 gotu cola leaves,3 cm brahmi and where legal one pod of mg seeds.wash if needed,roll up and chew,quite bitter!

t s t .

Another vote here for Ginko Biloba.Having tried things like "royal jelly" which was a momentary in- thing in the seventies or eighties, various vitamin combinations and even vit B shots recently, the only one with a noticeable positive improvement was Ginko Biloba.Is there a cheaper source of this than the local pharmacy?

As far as memory goes mine seems very good with figures and numbers ( ridiculously good the more useless the figures!)but absolutely lousy with faces and names ,especially greater than ten years ago.

Cognitol: Celastrus paniculatus oil.

As reported in a variety of sources, Celastrus is used as an "?aphrodisiac?as a powerful brain tonic?" to "?stimulate intellect, sharpen memory, increase intelligence"(1) "?to promote intelligence? stimulatory effects on intellect and memory have been reported?it improves memory process in rats and produced improvements in IQ in mentally retarded children?" (2) "?seeds and oil stimulate intellect and sharpen memory?it is known as Magszudhi (brain clearer) and believed to promote intelligence?" (3) "?.for stimulating the intellect and sharpening memory?" (4) "?brain tonic?stimulant?intellect promoting and sharpening the memory?" (6) "?Oil extracted from the seeds is known to affect the CNS; reputed in Indian literature to promote intelligence. It has been reported to have significant beneficial effects?and stimulatory effects on intellect and memory have been reported. It improves memory processes in rats, and produced improvement in IQ in mentally retarded children?.does not have any lethal or neurotoxic effects?" (2)

1) Indian Medicinal plants, Vol. 1. Lalit Mohan, Basu, India.

2) "Effects of Celastrus paniculatus on passive avoidance performance and biogenic amine turnover in albinio rats" Nalina, et. Al. 1995. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 47:101-108

3) "Indian Materia Medica" by Dr. K.M. Nadkarni

4) "Indian Medicinal Plants" by B.D. Basu and K.R. Kirtikar

5) "Major Medicinal Plants of India" by R.S. Thakur, H.S. Puri and Akhtar Husain pgs. 156-69.

6) "Indian Medicinal Plants, vol 2" edited by P.K. Warrier, V.P.K. Nambiar and C. Ramankutty pgs. 47-51

Taken from .celastrus.com

This stuff is VERY effective for ganja smokers.

is the male or female ginko tree more beneficial?

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

dont think it matters which sex a ginko tree is medicinally,some people concider the male more desirable as an ornamental because it does not have the smelly fruit,which i can obtain if anyone is interested.ginko trees can be purchased from many nurserys.

i would use lsa more for clarity of thought than memory,although the basic idea is from hoffman who suggested a small dose of lsd was superior to hydergine.

t s t .

at the moment i've just started taking st johns wort, ginko, ginseng complex i'll see how that goes. i've looked everywhere for pregnenolone, piracetam and hyderggine with no luck:( do you have to buy off the net or is there another source?

thanx

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

mandragors - there are so many variables to memory, such as stress and nutrition, that it would be impossible to exclude all such variables for a meaningful trial.

psycho= i've never been able to obtain a supply ov those drugs either, so i make do w/soy lechithin, ginko & blackmores sustained release multi-vit & mineral. others here seem to be more able than i, but i believe(short ov getting diagnosed w/parkinson's/alzheimer's) the internet is the only way; & it's not sold legally in the usa, so your looking possibly for mexican/dutch/chinese pharm.co's websites.

Biogenesis Labs

Hydergine etc. suppliers. Really quick, reliable and friendly, been getting stock from them for two years now, no probs

i've just started taking l-glutamine, l-phenylanine and a complex of gingko, st jhons wort, ginseng and rose and orange oils. i'll see how they go.

nabraxas- smart drugs and nutrients is a very good book, have you read no#2 yet? i just started it

hi pycho0

i'm curious..why rose & orange oils? that relaxes me just thinking about it..

you got any info on rosemary, the herb of remembrance?

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

"some egypt pharaos have taken daily a little dosage from every poison they know to be immune against them."

Its too bad you can only build up a tolerance to some poisons, not all of them. Half the time they were getting sick for nothing!

isn't that also the basic theory behind innoculation?- 200 years ago,in china, you gave a child a small bit ov pus from an infected smallpox blister, the child gets a litte sick, but survives w/some immunity.

psycho- sorry for the delay. yes i have read both the smart drugs books & i agree, they are most informative. :)

nah, i haven't read any info on rose or orange oils but they come in a compex called 'Hyperi Calm' which has st jhons wort, gingko, ginseng and rose and orange oils so they probably are for relaxation.

nabraxas- do you own smart drugs and nutrients?

i could only borrow mine on inter-library loan and forgot to write down the dosages :rolleyes:

so could you possibly tell me the dosage of choline(bitartrate) + vitamin b complex mainly b5 please?

thanx

"3 grams of choline(-in terms ov dosage they dont make a distinction 'tween the forms ov choline-) per day in 3 divided doses. if taking lechithin you may want to take more than 3 grams... all forms of choline should be taken with 1 gram per day of vit.B-5 so that the choline can be converted to acetylcholine"- hope that helps. :)

soon we'll be reading supercharged posts from you geezer