The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psycho0

improving memory

i was hoping someone could tell me what i could use to improve my short-term memory, as it is REALLY bad? i was taking a 'super brahmi complex' with brahmi and gingko and a few other things for about 3 months with not much luck. i was thinking should i maybe try just brahmi without the gingko?

thanx

do you smoke pot or take any other drugs?

Have you tried "Phosporo" ? The name wasn't exactly that, but it has a picture of Einstein, and what more can I say. It maybe works. There are other substances and ways of improving one's memomy, but I now can't recall any. Try Hypericum perforatum (St.Johns wort) but not with any other. It may have bad side-effects when administered with other medicine/herbs.

psycho0:

i was hoping someone could tell me what i could use to improve my short-term memory, as it is REALLY bad? i was taking a 'super brahmi complex' with brahmi and gingko and a few other things for about 3 months with not much luck. i was thinking should i maybe try just brahmi without the gingko?

thanx

Torsten:

do you smoke pot or take any other drugs?

Cheese Torsten, you gave me the laught of the day !!! :D

Papa

actually, it wasn't going to be a rant about smoking pot etc

Consuming drugs alters the neurotransmitter reserves and there are some things that can severely impact on memory, such as high adrenaline or low dopamine.

Also, if taking a lot of LSD I would suggest vasopressin.

If smoking pot, then I would suggest to stop ..... or alternatively smoke more so as not to worry about bad memory

Does LSD affect memory?

I'd worry more about alcohol personally. And pot too I guess... When you stop smoking pot (and drinking?) it takes about 6 months to regain some things (including vocabulary).

(I am not implying that you do either of these things on a regular basis though)

try doing searches on

deprenyl

piracetam

milacemide

nimodipine

phosphatidylserine

pregnenolone

ondansetron

aniracetum

fipexide

oxiracetam

pramiracetum

pyroglutamate

vinpocetine

acetyl-L-carnitine

centrophenoxine

choline & lechithin

DHEA

DMEA

gerovital

hydergine

idebenone

phenytoin

propranolol hydrochloride

vasopressin(sounds very interesting)(doctors laughed at me when i enquire about using this as brain food, as all they (mostly) know is it's used to prevent child bed wetting.)

vincamine

look for the books "smart drugs & nutrients" 1&2

by ward dean & john morgenthaler.

good luck :)

i've read that combining piracetam and hydergine is meant to be the killer combo, making the combined effect 5x stronger than piracetam alone. hydergine was made by albert hofmann. chronic lsd use is meant to deplete vasopressin levels, weed and booze supress it.

on hydergine:

"I first tried Hydergine six years ago during a visit to see my Dad at Christmas. He and I started taking 9mg and results were apparent to us both within two days. He was in his 40s, and began to remember events from when he was in his 20s as clearly as if they'd happened yesterday. What was interesting was that the events were nothing outstanding--just ordinary times. In other words, the everyday events had been stored away all these years, it just took some chemical prodding to jog them loose into the conscious mind. I was in my early 20s and had similar memories going back to my childhood years."

thanx for all the replies.

no, i don't smoke pot anymore, it's only been about 3months without though.

Meditate! be more conscious of your enery. How you spend your energy is important. Look at where you waste it, then instead of wasing it away channel it into the directions of where you want to go with yourself.

Must...get...hydergine(and piracetam).

Jeez it would be good to have normal memory again, especially after many years of booze and...other things....

psychoo - 3 months is not enough. depending on how long you smoked and your general neurochemical state it could take quite a few more months or may need some extra work beyond that. For many pot smokers the memory just doesn't return, especially if they smoked for several years.

[ 22. January 2003, 22:47: Message edited by: Papa Somnia ]

[QB]

Originally posted by eccles:

[QB]Does LSD affect memory?

When you stop smoking pot (and drinking?) it takes about 6 months to regain some things (including vocabulary).

So thats why a neighbor of mine has real trouble when talking takes place! I don't know anyone that makes so much mistakes during any conversation. However, instead of pot he inhales the toxin called tobacco. :(

I know that those who smoke that shit (tobacco), are more clumsey and have a lower reflexes when it comes to brain exercise :) Allthough he is also stupid (since he was born, and more because of smoking).

However, he stopped smoking 1,5 years ago, and has been clean since then (not to mention some smokes during that time).

I haven't tested his mental abilities during smoking/after 6 months of quitting.

But I think he has been a BIT more vocally capable during these 1,5 years.

Like I mentioned earlier, St.Johns wort has ability to reactivate and create new cells. Even braincells, since they have been stated to be recreative.

Well, everytime I visit here, I learn something new. Thanx !

Torsten, I know that you enquired about pot and other things from a physical view, it just looked so funny :) More of this here, please ! :P

Mamas&Papas

this is definately not a plug for smoking, but nicotine in itself is actually a 'smart drug' in small doses. as i understand(badly), it constricts the the veins, thus the loss ov blood to extremities & raise in b.p, but this also means more blood flowing to the brain (which is good)- when smoking however this is negated by all the other toxins & carbon monoxide. However, the use ov nicotine patches......

there is some synergy between the similar 'smart drug' caffine & nicotine.

quote:

thats why a neighbor of mine has real trouble when talking takes place! I don't know anyone that makes so much mistakes during any conversation. [/QB]

lol i knew this guy in high school that was pretty much bent without fail everyday for at least a year. if you ever met him on the street you'd think he was a retard for real.

"giiiive meeee the farrrrrkin' liiiiighterrr!"

btw does anyone know the difference between anircetam, oxiracetam and piracetam + all the other cetams? which one is best?

I know this tall guy, ... this dude is 2m, 10cm.... he used to stutter allot, but not like the worse type of stutterers.....

Anyway this guy claims that MDMA help his regain confidence in himself, and thus helped him to overcome his stuttering.

His confidence boost also helped him with his school.

I know himfrom before and after..... Mdma helped him see the light.

nabraxas:

there is some synergy between the similar 'smart drug' caffine & nicotine.

i heard awhile back that nicotine actually stopped the effects of caffeine(?)

so you don't really get the effects from coffe if you smoke a cigie with it.

does anyone know if this is true?

:huh: Edited by Rev

"the nerotransmitter acetylcholine(ACh) plays an important role in memory & learning. it is also used for sensory input signals & muscular control. ACh is a stimulatory nuerotransmitter &, when released by muscle nerves, makes those muscles contract. Unfortunately, ACh production declines with age. this leads to a loss of cognitive functioning which may be counteracted or even prevented with the substances (named above)

Pyrrolidone Derivitives: this class includes piracetam & it's analogues oxiracetam, pramiracetum, aniracetum & some others. most studies suggest these drugs work by affectng the cholinergic system in the brain, that is, the parts of the nervous system that use ACh as a neurotransmitter. however some recent observations show that some interactions take place with the adrenal cortex & with adrenal steroids production.

the nootropics generally have an "inverted U response curve", which means that more is not necessarily better. if you decide to use nootropics, you must ascertain how much is the optimum amount for you. combining 2 or more nootropics or using them with other intelligence increasing substances may also reduce the dose that is necessary for the optimum desired results." - from Smart Drugs & nutrients.(1)

Smoking pot results short term memory problems usually when you stop smoking pot :-). I.e within week after you not smoking. Some scientists think this effect caused by ``distributed'' attention or something. If smoking pot _irregular_ , you most likely will expirience problems with memory. It could be fixed two way - as Torsten said - just do smoke :-), or use piracetamum (or his analogue - nootropil). Don't know why, but it works (at least for me).

I've tried various combinations of "nootropics" at various stages over the past few years, if only I could remember what they were all called

Ginko biloba

St John's Wort

Ginseng

Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi)

5-HTP (crude Griffonia simplicifolia seed extract)

Melatonin

DHEA

SAM-E

Piracetam

Hydergine

Various Amino Acid & Vitamin Supplements

& low doses of 1,4 tetramethylene glycol

After using Piracetam & Hydergine together for 3 months I noticed significant changes in two main aspects of my memory.

They were an increased vocabulary and an increase in the abilility to store and recall numbers (esp phone numbers).

Oddly at the same time I was noticing a few memory defects that left me feeling 'dumb' on occasion.

I might mention that I was drinking on weekends and taking e'pills once or twice a month.

IMO Ginko is a great option, it seems that it can be taken in large ammounts over long periods and pose only benificial sideffects, with regards to improved circulation etc, and it is relativly inexpensive.

It may be a good idea to look at your diet and see what you may be lacking or overusing and then seek the right 'nootropics' for you.

Adrian

P.S The other day I remembered a piece of wisdom handed to me.

A old friend of my grandfather once instructed me on the importance of diet, he says "..if you eat with measure you shit with pleasure..."

"If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap & easy"

"Smart Drugs...they're self medicating"

i agree ginko biloba is something special- try & get the expensive 'swedish formula'- smokers will feel tingling in their finger & toe tips after 15mins. it is very safe- but massive quantities should be avoided. i have been hearing about these side effects for awhile now- "Is Ginko safe? 2

Although Ginko is well tolerated by a vast majority of persons those taking it must be aware of the potential for lifethreatening bleeding. Cases of spontaneous bleeding into both the brain and eye have been reported in several previously healthy patients without other risk factors taking only ginkgo. Likewise, brain hemorrhage have been reported in several patients taking blood thinning medications who started taking Ginkgo.

Are there medications that should not be taken with Ginkgo? 2

Yes! Persons taking medications or products with antiplatelet or anticlotting effects should be very careful about taking Ginkgo. These products include:

Aspirin

warfarin (Coumadin™)

ticlodipine (Ticlid™)

clopidogrel (Plavix™)

dipyridamole (Persantine™)

Vitamin E

Garlic "- 'yourdoctor.com'

Back when legal, I used to use GHB as a study

drug. I would use it in a manner to cause a

sharp sleep/wake cycle; say 5 hours of intense

study, followed by 3 hours of deep sleep.

This was purely for cramming reasons to pass

exams and it worked really well for the purpose.

Strangely, the information learnt seemed to pour

out of my head onto the page during the exam,

but was never to be recalled again. And yet I

know the words to the Brady Bunch Theme (which

in turn, causes me to recall an episode of Happy

Days in which someone crammed for an exam by

remembering song...oh my brain digresses....)

What I am trying to say is, as Rev said, that you

need to excersise your memories for them to

remain around for the long term.

For some reason, the sleep seems to cause the

retention of what has been studied into a longer

term memory.

Rather than any drug, I think that technique is

most important in absorbing and recalling

information. A few simple visualisation techniques

and developing a method of condensing information

which I wanted to learn into a few essential ideas

did wonders for me.