The Corroboree
sobriquet

Anyone else into knives?

You need to find a place to live where random dickheads don't try to beat up on women, there are plenty of nice places out there. :innocent_n:

when somone finds out where that is please let me know :).

when somone finds out where that is please let me know :).

The place where I live doesn't seem to have that problem.

SP - you make a very valid point, but the way you go about it is fucked and uncompassionate. you could have said that exact same thing without being hostile and i nearly didnt read what you said in full cause of it, which would have been a shame cuz there is validity in what you said. its not what you said but how you said it.

Compassion had been thrown out the window long before I joined this thread. The way I said it may have been a little fucked, but so are a lot of messages of truth, and as humans it is something we have to learn to deal with.

Our loved ones will die, some horribly and it will be painful to watch. We will all be betrayed at one point or another by people we hold dear. Both these statements are fucked to hear but we all know they ring true.

Learn to live with and even embrace the negatives of life and they will seem so much more insignificant, whereas the positives will be so much more meaningful.

Edited by Slim Pickens

now for my other point. a quote by CF "If you get into a situation where your life is in danger and you feel the need to use a knife then you probably deserve to die." you just remember that one, just have to make it so clear that you WILL remember YOU said that. if you still stand by your statement and cant see what im gettin at then im sorry. but if you want to tell me a child who is abducted, mollested and murdered deserves to die... then you deserve much more sympathy and compassion that i 1st thought.

How would a knife help a child anyway? My comments were directed at the sort of people who think it is cool to carry knives for "defence" purposes, those sort of people would most likely find their arses in gaol if they ever did try to use their knives to assault someone, whether in self defence or not, the law (particularly in Victoria) tkes a very dim view on people who carry knives. And quite frankly, so do I.

Edited by Chronik Fatigue

Learn to live with and even embrace the negatives of life and they will seem so much more insignificant, whereas the positives will be so much more meaningful.

that is so very true! its part of what makes life joyous.

and also your correct in saying what i would sum up as "the truth hurts" but i think you missed my point, my point was mainly you could have said the same thing without putting Moses offside. for example, compair the following statements...

(this following statements is NOT to be considered as statement or opinion, its an EXAMPLE)

"your a fucked up person,! put yourself in the fucking situation before you judge."

"thats not nice, i mean unless your in the situation how can you make such a broad statement about it? "

they both say the EXACT same thing, its just HOW its said. yes the truth can hurt but the delivery will determine ones own character. eg you could say "you will be betrayed by a loved one at some stage in life. its unavoidable" or you could say "one of the people in this world you love and trust will fuck you over at some point and ya cant do shit to stop it" both say the same thing. one is hostile and one isnt obviously, im not saying you were to the extreme i used in my example tho. my point is hostility and violence breeds hostility and violence. as you know in this you get what you give.

Edited by Amulte

How would a knife help a child anyway? My comments were directed at the sort of people who think it is cool to carry knives for "defence" purposes, those sort of people would most likely find their arses in gaol if they ever did try to use their knives to assault someone, whether in self defence or not, the law (particularly in Victoria) tkes a very dim view on people who carry knives. And quite frankly, so do I.

as i said, it was a massively broad statement you made. yes the reference to a child could be rather irrelivant when talking about knives specifically, but your statement was more towards the self defence aspact rather than a knife. one could leave out the aspect of a knife and replace any so called defensive weapon. reguardless i see what you were aiming at with it now, was it more along the lines of "they type of people likely to carry a knife in public is also likely to be the one who would cause or be in servere trouble." which is proven, as i imagine you well know, a person carrying a weapon for self defence is likely to use it for anything but. could even be a simple mis understanding with a parinoid or hostile person, or a role reveasal in same situation. but carrying a weapon acually does put you in more risk than not carrying one not jsut with the law.

but to use that as justification for the statement you made is rather an obscure half truth.

Moses wanted to be upset from the moment cronik fatigue put in his two cents, which can be seen by him using the incident with his girlfriend as an example, despit the fact that cronik was obviously directing his angst toward those who tote knives around in self defence and try to justify it, which had nothing to do with Moses' girlfriend and her assailant.

Of course when I pointed out that if his missus had a knife it probably would have been worse, this inflamed his anger because it contradicted his arguement. Moses is pissed off right now, and rightly so, but he is directing his anger in the wrong place, and looking for people and ideologies to blame.

Edited by Slim Pickens

imreplying like a bot here lol

Moses wanted to be upset from the moment cronik fatigue put in his two cents, which can be seen by him using the incident with his girlfriend as an example, despit the fact that cronik was obviously directing his angst toward those who tote knives around in self defence and try to justify it, which had nothing to do with Moses' girlfriend and her assailant.

Of course when I pointed out that if his missus had a knife it probably would have been worse, this inflamed his anger because it contradicted his arguement. Moses is pissed off right now, and rightly so, but he is directing his anger in the wrong place, and looking for people and ideologies to blame.

id say yes and no. its more he took offence to the "If you get into a situation where your life is in danger and you feel the need to use a knife then you probably deserve to die." hence his reaction , a mis-conception into what was accually being said. CF was NOT saying that what happened WAS deserved in this case. but yes, one shouldnt direct anger from one event to another, espeially in a medium as the internet and writen text. personally i can never get my point across 1st go on the net, i use body language and emotion through tone, obviously across here it is rather impossible to get said things across unless one is using agressive language. when such language is used, via this medium, the other party cannot help but think its about what they said as opposed to the situation in discussion due to the absence of the other two major fundimentals of how humans communicate. so such mis-conceptions cannot help but occur.

even tho im not sounding like it, im not a "lets all just get along" hippy. i LOVE debate so long as it is kept rational, which can be hard to do as most of our examples come from personal emotive experiences and with strong emotions comes a sort of irrationality, and all too often such things happen. yeah i hate to see people fight but i do love to see them disagree. no one human on the face of this earth can make a rational point in a discussion when they are behaving in a hostile manner. more learning and understanding comes when one replaces hostility with empathy.

but so as not to hijack the thread into somthing that belongs in a psychology forum ill go back to knives. i do have a fondness for the old straight razor and have a few ancient and valuable one out of shear age. but in all honestly ill have to agree CF in having a dim view on those who carry knives in public (excluding those with just cause eg work, hunting, fishing etc). even tho i have on occasion carried one in public myself, i still dont like the fact there is, at time, nee to do so. when i was say visiting a friend of a particular time of night in a particular part of town where if you dont pull out somthing to defend yourself they WILL take you down. many a time in that part of town somone has pulled a knife on me, 1st time it happened i said "nahh man" and i was subequently stabbed and mugged. i became paranoid about that part of town and carry self defense everytime i go there and it happened again, i was openly asked again, i said yes, he asked me to proove it, i pulled it out, he said ok and walked away. unlikely there are many but there are a few people out there that will prey on those who cant defend themselves, simply have visible means can be enough to prevent an attack. if the attack takes place tho then however yes, it could really make shit worse for you.

I am giving everyone here 24 hours to remove all the nastiness in this thread.

I am about to edit my own posts.

The personal insults, and otherwise uncivil behaviour will not be tolerated any longer.

When I said enough the first time, I meant it.

Anything nasty left after 24 hours will be deleted indiscriminately, or maybe I'll just trash the whole thread. I don't care how insightful the rest of the post is.

I don't know what has gotten into everyone the last couple of weeks, but I won't stand for it.

i do have a fondness for the old straight razor and have a few ancient and valuable one out of shear age. but in all honestly ill have to agree CF in having a dim view on those who carry knives in public (excluding those with just cause eg work, hunting, fishing etc).

Don't get me wrong, I like cooking and have a vry nice set of mundial chef's knives. I know the value of a good, sharp knife.

i dotn think i noticed this anywhere in this thread so excise me if it was mentioend but what is the deal with buying a sword or knife or machete etc on ebay form overseas does anyone know

are there legal implications to this?

jsut something i been thinkign about lately

i would love one of those cane swords theyare cool

Too much partying not enough chillin' this is the chill space after all.

Look we all have differing opinions on the matter and thats what makes life interesting, but there is no need to criticise each other for those beliefs we all have the right of opinion and if you don't agree with that your a freedom nazi :wave-finger:

No, no just joking everyone take a breath and come back when your feeling a little more cheerful, theres no need to get worked up over words on a forum if anyone needs to hurl abuse, hurl it at me. I'm quite happy to open a post where people can randomly abuse, for no apparent reason of course, me as to get it out of their systems. Vent my friends, VENT. If someone erks you over their great cactii collection come to my post and vent, if someone has told you you just wasted $200 on poor quality seeds, Vent for whatever fucking reason veeeeeeeent! Fuck it I'm starting it now, c'ya

Oh yea knives have their purposes, what they are is entirely up to you...

i dotn think i noticed this anywhere in this thread so excise me if it was mentioend but what is the deal with buying a sword or knife or machete etc on ebay form overseas does anyone know

are there legal implications to this?

jsut something i been thinkign about lately

i would love one of those cane swords theyare cool

check your state law i highly doubt you will be allowed possesion of such a sword even less bring one in.

in s.a. they come under the heading of prohibited weapons meaning you must be on the list of exmpt people to own

exempt peolpe include those who resonably require prohibited weapons:

- in the course of business or employmeny(this does not cover manufacturers or dealers)

- for the lawful and recognised form of recreation or sport

-for the purpose of providing a lawful entertainment for others

-a member of the s.a police in the course of duty

-museums and art galleries

-a person who takes part in an official ceremony by the s.a. gov. or commonwealth

-religious purpose

-emergency workers for the purpose of dealing with emergencys only

-executors of estates,liquidators/receivers in the course of duty

these are the rules as they stand now in s.a and they arent as tough as others so do some research on yours before purchasing anything of the net.

helps to be a member of the australian knife collectors

http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/

it is recognised in all states as a reputable organization and helps get certain things in. they may even be able to point you in the direction of a seller here in oz.

i'd check out antique shops thats where i found mine :wink:

post-1277-1168870758_thumb.jpg

I've got a USMC Ka-Bar knife imported from their website a few years back.

Lovely looking knife, very strong, perfect weight.

I believe it is/was the US Marines standard issue.

Pic quality isn't the best, took it from my phone without focusing properly.

*edit - uploaded a pic from their website

post-2817-1168922738_thumb.jpg

post-2817-1168922915_thumb.jpg

Edited by KlUe

Some very nice cutlery above *but*.

I find it odd that such blades have a following on this forum.

Only one pic of knives not designed for people-killing in four-odd pages.

I've had collections of functional knives for years. Mainly Green River/Victorinox etc for bush-work, nice steel for at home. Little beauty to them (ugly job anyway) but practical. Also got a mate who has some absolutely beautiful old Japanese and Damascan steel, that I can appreciate from a craftmanship point of view.

I'd be interested in what people have these knives for?

ed

I've had collections of functional knives for years. Mainly Green River/Victorinox etc for bush-work, nice steel for at home. Little beauty to them (ugly job anyway) but practical. Also got a mate who has some absolutely beautiful old Japanese and Damascan steel, that I can appreciate from a craftmanship point of view.

ed

the beauty and craftmanship

i fell in love with the samurai ethos very young and came to see the sacredness(???) of the blade

so much that when i die i would love my ashes to be used to temper a blade to be passed down through my family

ed

I agree mate, but as Moses said, I also love the craftmanship.... Its good looking, and apart from the fact I'd never kill anyone with it (well, there could be the odd exception), i've used the extremely sharp blade for numerous tasks around the house and the garden, even though thats not its designed feature.

i ma not really into knifes or swords

the only reason i feel i would like a sword is to add to my healing practices

sounds strange i spose but for me it isnt. :)

i would use a sword to cut away heavy energy as a symbolic representation of what i am doing.

but apart from that i would not wish to collect knifes or swords.

Edited by hebrew

nothin gets the bad guys running like a 12 guage

post-117-1174905255_thumb.jpg

nothin gets the bad guys running like a 12 guage

Um, looks like the bad guy is the fascist cunt shooting the unarmed civilian to me...

i wish butterfly knives werent illegal.

check out this video of some crazy butterfly knife skills.

its just like fire twiling or spinning a pen around your fingers, only with knives instead.

Lost all my possessions in an arson attack ten odd years back and still replacing bits and pieces.

Just recently noticed the price of quality steel in the US.

Bought the two sets of drop-points below for just over $40 delivered and am very impressed.

post-493-1258822615_thumb.jpg

The brand was unfamiliar but at $10 bucks ea I took a punt.

All came with excellent edge (I cut myself three times playing with them). A bit clumsy these days but indicates the edge was there.

All shaved my arm-hair straight from the box, and again after twelve stabs through packing cardboard (with reasonably clean signatures for the guthooks and excellent for the other two) although the gut-hook on the small folder was blunt (not that surprising - I've known several knifemakers to totally disown gut-hooks simply due to the dangers in creating/sharpening them).

Both folders have minimal lateral play, crisp action (liner-lock on the larger), and actively close from the last 1/4".

Fixed blades are both full tang, with balance-point 2/3 -3/4 along handle (same with the folders) which is appropriate and the grips fit quite comfortably in my (small) hands. All felt very comfortable to work with.

No field-testing been done, nor likely in near future unless something runs out in front of me, but I'd probably still be as happy at twice the price.

Highly recommended, for quality at a cheap price. "Elk Ridge" is the brand.

Also grabbed these as a gift for a mate that's currently helping me out:

Mossberg Bird and Trout Knife Set

post-493-1258824143_thumb.jpg

Looked and felt good, the skeleton architecture and finger-ring making them seem excellent for intricate work (delicate caping etc). Can't comment further as I no longer possess them.

If anyone's interested I can get a report as they'd have been used by now.

ed

ed

Not a fan of liner lock,CRKT did a line of locking liner lock but we can only carry slip joints unless we have a valid need.

I have a FOX Kukri,not suitable for actual use i'll wager.

My favourite is still the Spyderco Dragonfly,i have several but lost the serrated when i lost my mobile.

Next favourite is the Boker Mini Smatchet,just wish i had bought the Damascus version.

Falkniven U2 is third favourite.

In the UK Taylors Eye Witness make a range of slip joints that are probably the best of the remaining Sheffield makers.

Opinel of France make useable knives, No 13 the Giant is a whopper and worth stashing away.

Bad experience with Benchmade sheaths with the thumblock,these simply fracture.

Tyr of Andromeda fame seemed to use a lot of United Cutlery.

must confess to a knife throwing habit/ addiction/ compuilsion esp. when intoxicated.

The kitchen walls have nice softwood boards with many evident pits in them :-(