The Corroboree
Dirty Old Man

Fungi of Nightcap N.P. Dialup warning extremely pic intensive

On Sunday we decided to drive down to Nightcap for a spot of mushroom hunting. I was hoping to spot my first ever subs, instead I found an incredible range of cool fungi.

Most of these were found on the debri of a strand of hoop pines. This area was so infested with fungi that if you stepped on a thick fallen log it would just squish under your weight.

Would really appreciate it if anyone could id any of these fungi as edible, deadly etc.

1 Tiny red shroom with yellow gills:

mush1.jpg

mush2.jpg

mush3.jpg

mush4.jpg

4b

Underside of previous:

mush4a.jpg

mush5.jpg

mush6.jpg

mush7.jpg

Edited by Dirty Old Man

mush8.jpg

mush9.jpg

mush10.jpg

mush11.jpg

mush12.jpg

mush13.jpg

13b

Underside of previous:

mush13a.jpg

Possibly very old subs?:

mush14.jpg

14b

Underside of previous:

mush14a.jpg

Edited by Dirty Old Man

mush15.jpg

mush16.jpg

mush17.jpg

mush18.jpg

mush19.jpg

19b

Underside of previous:

mush19a.jpg

mush20.jpg

20b

Mature of previous:

mush20a.jpg

Edited by Dirty Old Man

mush21.jpg

I have heard this one contains toxins which are potentially deadly with chronic exposure. My girlfriends friend's brother was doing his thesis in biochem and developed heart problems after repeated exposure.

21b

Mature of previous:

mush21a.jpg

mush22.jpg

22b

Underside of previous:

mush22a.jpg

mush23.jpg

mush24.jpg

mush25.jpg

25b

Underside of previous:

mush25a.jpg

This one was disgusting and slimy and the colour of a dog's penis:

mush26.jpg

mush27.jpg

Edited by Dirty Old Man

These cheeky guys were harassing us while we having lunch:

kooka1.jpg

kooka2.jpg

It was a great trip until we got back to the car to find a window smashed in and a backpack containing about $2000 of camera gear missing. :ana:

All I can say is someone has got one hell of a karmic bitch slap on the way :uzi:

It got worse. When we got 5 minutes down the road I discovered I wasz being eaten in leaches and had a tick on my neck. Had a fairly nasty reaction to the tick.

These cheeky guys were harassing us while we having lunch:

kooka1.jpg

kooka2.jpg

It was a great trip until we got back to the car to find a window smashed in and a backpack containing about $2000 of camera gear missing. :ana:

All I can say is someone has got one hell of a karmic bitch slap on the way :uzi:

It got worse. When we got 5 minutes down the road I discovered I wasz being eaten in leaches and had a tick on my neck. Had a fairly nasty reaction to the tick.

wow

sorry to hear about your misfortune from what seems an interesting day looking at fungi, they are some beautiful photos, i especially like that mushroom with the wierd arse red centre, Wow what a mushroom.

you should attach a number above each photo to help sort out ids

youv got some wonderful pics there excellent work :)

I have heard this one contains toxins which are potentially deadly with chronic exposure. My girlfriends friend's brother was doing his thesis in biochem and developed heart problems after repeated exposure.

Mature of previous:

The star fish like one is a stink horn. It eats flies and maggots I believe. Not sure about it toxicity but the stinkhorn family of fungi sure are an interesting bunch. v. strange.

Watch out for those Kooka's, they are very cheeky. Was BBQ'ing some breakfast at lorne the other week and there were 8 of them watching. One dived in and neatly removed the cheese from the top of the bread I was toasting on the BBQ. Later, once breakfast was made, another dive bombed and took the whole sandwich out of my partners hand! They def like cheese and egg.

Some very nice pics dude :)

Aren't fungi one of the most fun things to photograph?

Very impressive :)

Beautiful specimens..except that freaky alien looking star shaped one - totally GROSS :puke:

I can sympathise with you having stuff stolen from your car - we had the same problem whilst visiting Natural Arch in Springbrook National Park.

People broke into the car while we were walking and stole a wedding ring and some other stuff (long story about why it wasn't on my friends finger...).

So everyone remember - Don't leave valuables in your car whilst out enjoying mother nature. Sad but true, there are callous thieves out there!

Nice pics old man, thanks for sharing and sorry to hear about your camera loss... what did they steal? Spare lenses?

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Apart from being robbed we still had a great time. I did a lap of Whian Whian state forest hoping to encounter the thieves so I could test out my bull bar on them.

They took a backpack which had a couple of lenses, memory cards, filters and assorted photographic shit. Still have the camera and most of our lenses.

I see a few Ganodermas, an earthstar and a few other familiar looking ones from my own rompings in the bush but without numbers for the photos...

I see a few Ganodermas, an earthstar and a few other familiar looking ones from my own rompings in the bush but without numbers for the photos...

Ok the nunmbers are in.

ok 6 looks like Lycoperdon perlatum

12 looks like some other puffball.

10 is an earthstar?

2, 7, 17, 24 are ganodermas?

Thanks for the pointers Apoth.

so what planet did 21 come from ??? :scratchhead:

Dunno the ID for 8,6,19 but they are all good indicators for subs, around these parts at least...

Absolutely brilliant photos Dom...I'd buy the calendar! :)

So sorry to hear about your gear being stolen...they'll get theirs. :ana:

Thanks Wandjina. :)

We haven't forgotten about the calendar, just been a really busy, messed up year. Hopefully we will be able to make stuff happen soon.

I dont think the Stinkhorn (aseroe?) eats flies, it attracts them with its scent, flies eat, pass and distribute spores.

1. Hygrocybe 6.Lycoperdon 10. Geastrum 12. Vascellum?

Edited by Dodie