The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Some detail about SAB's saffron (Crocus sativus) packaging & dosing

We can no longer source the 8ml vials we pack a lot of our small quantity herbs into, so some things need to be changed either by increasing the quantity to make it suitable for larger containers, or by reducing the quantity/volume to make it fit in the 5ml vials.

In the case of saffron we have decided to lightly chop the threads so that the same amount fits into the 5ml vial. Actually, there was no problem fitting them in - the problem would have been for you guys to get them back out as the whole threads just rolled into a ball and plugged the neck of the vial. I estimate that about half the threads are cut in half, with the rest still full length (15 scissor cuts to an ounce).

Why does it matter? Why am I telling you this? Because all initial experiments with saffron have been based on thread numbers (usually 40-50). If we did the same thing now without taking the cuts into account, someone talking about 50 new threads would actually only be talking about 35 whole threads. I suggest that we from now on use eyeball measurements in relation to the starting volume. The 1g vials are measured accurately to within 50mg (ie they all weigh between 1g and 1.05g), so when you pour (ie jiggle) the whole lots on a plate it is easy to quite accurately divide this into 2, 4 or even 8 units (no razorblade or credit card required :P ) giving 500mg, 250mg and 125mg respectively. Don't try to divide it up visually by 'taking out only half' of the vial as the process of jiggling out the material will invariably change compaction and volume making any guesstimate hopelessly inaccurate.

I am not unhappy about the reduction in vial size as this will also decrease the airspace above the saffron. As the primary active consituent is volatile is would be prudent to reduce evaporation as much as possible. Loss by repeated opening of the vial would be higher with larger airspace. However, this saffron is too good to chop it up too fine, so this is a good middle ground.

It is still very obvious that this saffron is 100% red filaments without ANY orange bits, so there is defiitely no reduction in quality. For those who feel cheaper saffron is equally as good, check the exchange thread for de quincey's product or wait for a few weeks when we will offer a cheaper version as well.

The 5g vial of saffron is not affected by any of this, so if you really want whole threads of the top grade sargol saffron for esthetic purposes etc then please select this item.

And again a word of warning. Saffron has a very strong synergy with some opiates. An active dose of saffron (maybe 100mg) has been reported to double or even triple the effect of opium. It is reasonable to expect a similar effect with prescription opiates, heroin, poppy tea and poppy seed tea.

Thanks for the info and warning t, it's a biggy that's for sure. Just waiting on the last bioassays then will post source details, see saffron thread for updates people. Thanks again t (sorry for the mini-hijack :D ), have a cool one all,

Dqd

And again a word of warning. Saffron has a very strong synergy with some opiates. An active dose of saffron (maybe 100mg) has been reported to double or even triple the effect of opium. It is reasonable to expect a similar effect with prescription opiates, heroin, poppy tea and poppy seed tea.

If one were to use saffron to specifically potentiate say, codeine, would it just lower the active dose, or would it change the effects entirely?

Also, how does it interact with Kratom or Blue Lilly?

Edited by themagicmushroom

If one were to use saffron to specifically potentiate say, codeine, would it just lower the active dose, or would it change the effects entirely?

Also, how does it interact with Kratom or Blue Lilly?

I think it just potentiates, however usually potentiation does not got exactly equal right across the board of effects, so some change would be expected.

No idea about the latter.

I received my order today thanks T!!

Just thought I'd ask about any potentiation or dangers involved with concomittant GABA and or Alprazolam use.

Is anyone else taking regular doses of benzo's and tried this product?

You did mention to trial the GABA in small amounts between my medication dose time which I'll be starting on very shortly.But I'm HANGIN' to try this sargol...just the smell gives me a light buzz :)

Im on Methadone and havent experinaced anything too overwhelming on the average 40 thread dose jst a nice euphoria and slight body load but then again I cant really compare it to anything because Im always have methadone in my system.

just wondering what the difference between medium and top grade saffron is on SAB store?? Is it potency difference? Also, how is saffron usually taken? Are the threads chewed to gain an active effect or are they smoked? I really can't find much info on the psychedelic use of saffron through google nor TSE on SAB forum.

chew/suck & hold in mouth -- under tongue, or in cheek ... and yes, higher grade equals better potency generally :)

it is not psychedelic, but is "mood enhancing" .. for me it enhances libido.. for others -- opposite, yet welcomed effect

Edited by coin

I heard yesterday on my local community dance radio station that growing Saffron plants in particular actually help cure greenhouse gases by converting (biodiesel fumes or something) into fresh air. Anyone know more about this??

dose anyone have the link for the dosage requirements? Does that link include the high potency and the medium potency saffron?

I just read that laudanum was a mixture of poppies with saffron, i think il have to buy some now! Its got my curiosity going

mescalito - I really don't know about benzo combos. Never tried it. However, saffron does not appear to have any synergy with GABA itself - if that helps.

sabretooth - the top grade is something you really won't readily find anywhere in oz. The best I have been able to source comes close, but is not the same. There is another thread here on the quality markers of saffron and it relates to the plant parts used as well as the final colour. Both are indicators of crocin content, which is one of the active consituents. Crocin is the non-volatile constituent, so colour/grade really only indicates on part of the activity. The smell determines the other.

coin - saffron agonises both serotonin [volatile safranal] and dopamine [non-volatile crocin]. Different grades can have different effects, leaning towards the stimulant/dopamine with the cheaper stuff. Also, there are individual differences in response and I would think you would generally respond more on the dopamine side. In fact, the saffron combo is not that different to a tiny dose of MDMA in that respect.

hey T -- thanks

i've only really had strong-ish effects from your Sargol grade ... the first time this came up years ago, I tried a tea made from around a gram of average grade supermarket saffron and had [very] unexpected rushy effects (serotonin/dopamine) for about 10 minutes and had to lie down, but i was stoned [all the time] at the time, and it quickly passed -- i wasn't sure what to make of it under the circumstances, but knew something was going on.

then it wasn't for ages that i tried again (with sargol)...yep, i found it very similar to MDMA (which I also get pro-sexual effect from, improving 'performance' rather than inhibiting) .. I had to keep taking it every 30 mins or so to keep up the effect and was drinking wine, for the record ... i think there's enough serotonin effect happening there to balance out the dopamine ? difference is i don't feel like killing myself for a week after taking saffron ;-)

Edited by coin

Ahhh interesting as alc is also a GABA agonist and dope,as the name suggests is a dopamine agonist with the added seretonin aspect from the sargol...hmmm

Puurfect. :bong::shroomer::lol:

No come-down sounds like a nice balance if the combo can be tailored to suit the recipient's make up considering T's observations re: anxiety disorders.

Gotta be better than an alphapharm or pfizer product and you can grow it yourself in the right conditions and further investigations should reveal the full spectrum of usefulness with these types of "illnessess" if we get off our asses and submit reports.

Now I'm ready to try it albeit starting small...because goddamn it, it smells inticing :)

Can saffron be used in conjunction with SSRI's ?

Alternatively, I'm thinking of dropping the pharms (been on them for only two months - and happy with the results) in a while, and would like to consider re-aligning my meds to something more organic in about March 07.... as pill dependancy does not bode well with my long-term mindset.

saffron is a MILD serotonergic and dopaminergic, so I don't see a problem with combos as long as you are aware there will likely be some synergistic effect.

So is 1gram the standard dose then??

could someone please tell me what SAB is?

thankyou

could someone please tell me what SAB is?

thankyou

Are you kidding? I suppose you may have stumbled upon the corroboree by accident, but most people find it when surfing Shaman Australis Botanicals. Hence SAB. Its Torsten's shop (AFAIK) which stocks many different species of plants. Well worth a brouse if you can find the time. Welcome, and be sure to make the most of the resources available here - but be smart about ti all and dont get into too much mischeif lol

Probably said this before but ill say it again ive not found saffron of any potency being top grade form SAB or low grade from Ebay to potentate opiates to any great effect, i have found grape fruit juice to be much more effective and a shit load cheaper.

I use opiates once to twice a week at the most and haven't done so for about a month so far and still get the same effects, if you want to potentate your opiates smoke weed or take some xanax but be fucking careful.

Probably said this before but ill say it again ive not found saffron of any potency being top grade form SAB or low grade from Ebay to potentate opiates to any great effect, i have found grape fruit juice to be much more effective and a shit load cheaper.

There is plenty of ethnobotanical evidence for the potentiation and this thread was more of a warning than a recommendation to use saffron as such. ie, I am sure there are better ways to potentiate opiates, but for many individuals it may also be risky to combine saffron with opiates.

Green Osiris: If your meds are showing no efficacy within 6-8 weeks then they're not doing anything for you.Consult your doc and graduate-off the old ones and try a different med if you need to.

Bear in mind that anxiety/depression meds are only short term crutches and if your doc isn't pushing for CBT then you stand a high chance of becoming dependent and or suffer side-effects.

The problem is that these "chemical balancers" are a relatively new thing in psychiatry and we are only just at the tip of the ice-berg in regards to long-term use and subsequent withdrawl implications from prior treatment medication.

Don't just take your GP's advice...be educated as it's generally not their specialty area.

Grape juice...is it superior to other fruit juices, or just because it's inexpensive? Interested, Could you please elaborate?

Edited by wandjina

I think its a flavonoid in GF juice that inhibits certain P450 enzymes, these enzymes are major drug-metabolizing system.

Basically it slows the breakdown of many substance to there non-active form, increasing blood serum levels.

This applies particulary to opiates(not codeine) and benzos as there are metabolized this way.

Some benzos overseas now have warnings about contradictions with GF Juice.

Grape juice...is it superior to other fruit juices, or just because it's inexpensive? Interested, Could you please elaborate?

contains substances that reduce drug metabolism and hence increase the effect of the drug. UTSE - it's on here somewhere.