The Corroboree

Where are we going?

Back to the place where we came from...

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

into space of course,

just like the birth of sea voyaging humans millenia ago we're just now dipping our toes into the vast oceanic cosmos

it's a pretty exciting time if you ask me, born a little too early to have any meaningful interactions with alien species unfortunately but still

• Like 5

If you listen to Stephen Hawking then we're heading into an era where artificial intelligence could soon rival or surpass our own.

With the rise of military drones and other unmanned craft it's getting to the stage where machines already have many advantages over us feeble humans. When they become intelligent and self aware we could be in trouble if we don't implement some checks and balances before it gets out of hand.

The robot apocalypse.

It seems like madness to me, we're engineering systems that have the potential evolve into something that has the potential superseed us.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/21672/20141207/artificial-intelligence-really-threaten-mankind-fears-stephen-hawking-elon-musk.htm

• Like 1

To meet Andromeda.

Lets get the basics right first. Once can answer the where are we now question, we can move onto the where are we going question.

• Like 2

^ probably a misuse of that term since it belongs to quantum THEORY.. But we knew what you meant and amen to that

You can't answer anything. The uncertainty principle.

Q: "If I jump out of a plane at 35000 feet without a parachute, will I die?"

A: "The probability that you will die is so close to 1 that for all intents and purposes, the answer is yes."

We exist here and now. That's all we see. Can we really observe anything else?

Sorry all, I didn't mean to derail the serious discussion with my glib interjections. Carry on.

I'll try to remember to put my "serious face" mask on before I add anything else.

^ I see no reason for that. Although your terminology invited some confusion about your meaning, your answer was as good as they come.

Lets clarify. Descartes sought self-evident truths and posits that there is only one, I think this is what you meant, that nothing is certain. You weren't talking about fuzzy models on the behaviour of subatomic particles. If your own existence is the only self evident truth then how do you even know you're jumping out of a plane. These things cant be said with absolute certainty, its not a question of scientific models or probability.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

I guess what I was getting at is reality as I know it is my nervous system interpreting the input it receives. Your interpretation will inevitably be different as it is impossible to separate the observer from the event. So there is no way to arrive at a consensual agreement of where we are, or where we are going in definite terms. This is not just an abstract concept discussed by physicists with beards. It determines the entire fabric of what we call reality. As above, so below. How cam we say that sub atomic particles are subject to a law if we can't apply the same at a macro level?

I'm any case, wtf would I know?

I love these topics.

• Like 2

^

Yes! Which is why it's fun to consider. No need for serious masks, or any masks at all.

There may be as many answers as there are individuals, and none of them can be difinitively true, because we each uphold a personal reality, so make of the question what you may, there's no attachment to outcomes, I'm sure we're all beyond that point, but regardless of this inevitable uncertainty and intangibility, why not ask? Why can't it just be considered game? What harm could come of it?

I have no idea where we are going. As I said with what I stated in the 'why are we here thread', I have two opposing world views living in my head.

One is very connected to what Sally said, the rise of the machines and the fall of human power. But largely I think we have a influential role to play in this scenario, are we so innately self destructive that it has always been our intent to create artificial intelligence which will rapidly surpass us, perhaps enslave us, or perhaps just give us benign tasks and lives which appear to have purpose while the machines go about the real work?

The second one, well, I don't know how to talk or write about that yet. Maybe I will get there sometime. I will try, that's for sure.

• Like 1

going to bed soon, been drinking all day :blush: , nar nar nar i mean daydreaming all day :scratchhead: but for real i cant tell if im dreaming or half asleep most times :o

so of we go to tha magic land of the dreams , betrayed by the fatal mind rewalking footsteps bent in place ,touching our god, mother earth :worship::innocent_n:

• Like 3

Into the mystery.

up the spike towards artificial intelligence I'm guessing

besides our sun will inevitably extinguish, so we'd wanna get off this rock before that happens

Where are we going?

We're just meaningless piece's to a larger puzzle.

There's no need to attempt to be something special in this existence of our's, no need to worry about absolutely anything at all.... really. Theirs no pressure whatsoever to be "special",

Just kick back and enjoy it for what it is.

It may not be all that, but it is what it is..... I'ma live it out no matter what it throws at me!

It ain't nothing but existence. lol.... to easy.

does a snail stop to ponder the big questions? probably not, it's just busy snail trailling around munching shit out of my cactus hoping to meet a sexy lady snail for some sweet slimy cactus loving.

point is we should be doing the same... living, embracing our senses, squeezing every drop out of these broken down vessels while we can!

The snail doesn't care about other snails or big questions. Scratch that - the snail has no capacity to care for other snails - or future snails, (with the possible exception of the lady snail he is chasing). Nor can he ponder big questions.

We are not snails.

We can care for others in a way that snails do not appear to. We can consider the effect of our actions on persons in the future (including ourselves). We can ponder big questions (that much should be self-evident, based on this discussion if nothing else).

Thus, the idea that we should aspire to live like snails is not automatically a good one.

Say we live like snails, chasing our lady (or man) snails and munching on any number of nommy plants and fungi - risking the occasional squashing by a gardener who can't keep up with our numbers and distribution. The main reason we are not entirely crushed by the jackbooted gardener is that it is too time consuming and expensive to do so at this time. Here is where any would-be snails should be mindful of sally's warnings. If the gardener can employ sufficiently automated means of surveillance, detection, prosecution and punishment to make the total cleansing of his garden of snails economically viable....

This is why snails should take an interest in the rules that the gardener operates under. And I think this is true even if it will not come to pass until a future generation of snails.

• Like 2

besides our sun will inevitably extinguish, so we'd wanna get off this rock before that happens

Even according to the accepted model of solar evolution, that is inconceivably far into the future.

Heliophysics is far from settled imho. Stars could potentially display far less predictability than we think. That could be a bad thing and it could have something to do with the catastrophes recorded in myth. Our solar system may not be the four billion years of stasis we've been told it is. There are glaring holed in the picture, too many for me to mention unless somebody shows interest and asks.