The Corroboree
drpotato

buying blackberry, boysenberry redcurrant and gooseberries

Hi,

Im searching for blackberry ( thorned or thornless any variety), boysen berry, redcurrant and genuine gooseberry seeds.

Please PM me if you have any youde like to share , trade or sell to me.

im also interested in any berry varieties similar to the above like hydbrids or just plainly similar berries to black berries, like loganberries.

thanks

i seen all these in bunnings and home hardware garden sections recently, so try there if you have no luck

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure I have some Karakaberriy seedlings kicking about (they will show wide variety however), cant do the others and more now as they are going dormant.

You'll probably find gooseberries will get mildew in your climate I reckon

Edited by waterboy

I've been mound layering the boysenberry plant in my garden, I'm sure I could find you a rooted section quite easily, same goes for my gooseberry. No seeds sorry :/

@waterboy what's the best way to propagate Karakaberry ?

To keep it true endor, from a cloned line - vegetative.

I cant obtain them, so have resorted to seed. They are a hybrid so I will have a wide variety of phenotypes.

Edited by waterboy

Welcome to the forum Dr.potatoe

Goodluck with ya berries!

let us know if you get any up harvest stage

I have Rubus parvifolius, Rubus probus, boysenberry & a commercial red raspberry of unknown variety that i can strike some cuts off if you dont have any luck elsewhere.

If I could grow gooseberries in Sydney, I'd remove every single plant from my garden and replace it with a gooseberry bush.

i actually saw blackberry for sale at flower power the other day, i was pretty sure its a noxious weed and there for illegal to propagate and sell.

if it aint i got acres of the stuff at my place in sure i could find you a rooted bit

Bought a blueberry bush from a large hardware store recently. Its doubled in size in a month and is looking very healthy.

@marcel have you tried Jostaberries (black currant x gooseberry)? very hardy, more forgiving, mildew resistant and no thorns.

I like them better than goosies

Edited by waterboy

If I could grow gooseberries in Sydney, I'd remove every single plant from my garden and replace it with a gooseberry bush.

true!

i'm not sure if drpotatoe, will understand your and all others gentle notches, towards saying, it's impossible to grow currents and gooseberries, in most parts of Australia, because they need a cold climat.

berry fruits will grow, but always make sure you get the "low chill" varieties.

to obtain currents and gooseberry, one has to ask the nurseries, located at the cold parts of Australia, I think I have seen them growing in mel.

berries are the best!

got blackberries fruiting in the garden atm if you want some seed. its a real pest though.

i have a whole bunch of cape goseberry seed at the moment - if anyone else is keen shoot me a pm

DrPotato i'm pretty sure i can still salvage some blue raspberry seed :) we bought a plant of it from bunnings, some weird cultivar but its very blue.

We also have orange raspberry plants, i havent seen any berries left on it so no seed available at the moment.

Have you considered just going to a garden store and nicking some ripe fruit, taking the seeds out of these?

good way to get a wide variety without paying $15-$20 per plant

also have lots of homegrown fresh rhubarb seed if anyone is interested, not a berry but berry yummy

can't beat a blackberry and rhubarb crumble :)

Edited by bogfrog

OMG. Rhubarb. Has envy. It's never grown well here and my grandad used to grow the *best* rhubarb ever. Lucky you bogfrog :)

my friend has an aquaponics set up and although it's hotter and drier at his location, than yours, his rhubarb is going well.

but growing them in the soil, is not successful here.

Seriously anyone is welcome to PM me & claim some rhubarb, blueberry or cape gooseberry seed :)

I got a big bag of organic blueberries today and separated out lots of seed.

Rhubarb is amazing hey.

I cant wait till i have such a prolific food forest that i can eat berries all day

• Like 1

true!

i'm not sure if drpotatoe, will understand your and all others gentle notches, towards saying, it's impossible to grow currents and gooseberries, in most parts of Australia, because they need a cold climat.

berry fruits will grow, but always make sure you get the "low chill" varieties.

to obtain currents and gooseberry, one has to ask the nurseries, located at the cold parts of Australia, I think I have seen them growing in mel.

Actually wild goosberries pop up around here, though the lantern variety which i now understand isnt true goosberry at all. if you say that the proper goosberries wont grow here i am a bit concerned. goosberries are at the top of the list of berries i wanna grow, next to blackberries and cape gooseberries which seem to grow very well here.

Bogfrog, ide very much appreciate some rhubarb and blackberry seeds. ill PM you about it.

*why does my Bunnings sell jack all? ...lol

its not just you, aside from blueberries rarely and strawberries, also rarely, everything they have there is their generic stock. i went to big W and they had a bigger selection of fruting trees and bushes than bunnings atm.