The Corroboree
Auxin

Home grown hair conditioner?

I've long avoided shampoo and conditioner because I expect people will eventually prove their link to dementia or autoimmune diseases or something. When I actually need more than water washing my hair I use a bit of castile soap. Easy 'nuf.

Not so easy for hair conditioner, commercial products for hippies being flagrantly overpriced.

So I was thinking, couldnt I just decoct some elecampane or marshmallow root and add just enough soap to break surface tension and rub it in?

Maybe more by-product type herbage could be used too.. marshmallow leaf or okra leaf, for instance.

I want my hair a bit softer without animal parts or synthetics of unknown human toxicity that could nest in my cell membranes being involved.

Whatcha think? Good plan or would I just be washing plant snot out of my hair for no benefit?

Any other common herbage that might be particularly good? (I'm not rastafarai so dont say I and I should be washin' with jah herb :P)

I heard one report that thats the real use for Trichocereus cuzcoensis.

Wanna know the best hair conditioner and will cost you f*all? Use about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in about a litre of water and it will rinse out the soap residue and balance your hair ph. Also it will make hair helluva lot easier to comb. You don't need to use anything else and if you're fussy on buying it you could always make your own even though bottles start at $2 so why bother lol . I completely agree nobody should use store bought shampoo and conditioner its full of chemicals. I've been using natural stuff for the last two years and its been great, my hair is very long so an apple cider vinegar rinse will work for any type of hair. :)

Iv heard of a few different cacti being used for conditioner. Trichocereus and opuntia (prickly pear) being the main ones. not sure how well they would work though.

O, vinegar.. I had totally forgot about that trick, thanks.

Not surprised Opuntia has been used, I've seen mexicans get very creative with finding uses for those lol

Aloe vera man is awesome ! skinned ,cubed and mixed in with a bottle of water ,shaken vigorously and poured onto the scalp. No chemical comes close , your hair / head just eats it up,left shiny and soft for weeks (dont wash out) ... has every amino acid in a complete chain.

like meeka said apple cider vinegar and you can also just wash with a solution of bicarb soda and water

also a water rinse with essential oils(lavender,rosemary,jojoba) at the end of your wash will also help

you may find this interesting

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/super-clean-dreads-safe-for#axzz1AFLp6iwS

Heh.

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago when I was reading this thread.

I'd give another thumbs up for vinegar as a conditioner, and I have been wondering if soapwort would produce the goods when an actual wash might become necessary. Anyone have enough to actually try it?

ha! Funny link. And a bit weird the thought of self-cleaning hair. But I had a friend who never washed his hair. And it never looked/felt greasy or stunk. So quite plausible. But being female I can't imagine smelling au naturale and I have yet to meet a man who would appreciate such. So i'll stick to my homemade shampoo soap and acu rinse thanks!

make that *acv. But soapwort hey? I'll ask my herby friend that one. Some people use 'soap nuts'. Can get them online.

I have been wondering if soapwort would produce the goods when an actual wash might become necessary. Anyone have enough to actually try it?

I recon it probably would work woody.

My boss uses Sapindus nuts to make her "shampoo", I'll ask her what else she puts in it when she surfaces.

But being female I can't imagine smelling au naturale and I have yet to meet a man who would appreciate such.

I love "au naturale".

Natural smell, natural skin, even natural hair - and not just on the head... As long as it's clean (as in jump-in-the-creek clean), I like things as natural as possible.

:wub:

And a hint for those who might not like pongy body odour from sweat - use squeezed lemon or lime, rubbed under the armpits or on the feet. It usually takes a day or two to start working, and it can be a bit sting-y for those with cuts/grazes, but with regular application it works a treat. When living in warmer climes, if I needed to I'd do it a few minutes before a shower, and just quickly rinse. No soap required. The citric acid buggers up the bacteria that feed on the sweat, and the rind cleans the skin, and lime especially leaves a nice after-smell. After a week or so I'd stop using it, and it always took months at least for the stinky bacteria to find their way back.

Stuff that roll-on crap that buggers up the pores!

Some folk use freshly halved lemon or lime, but the skin will do the same job if there's a bit of juice left behind, and the bulk of the juice can be gainfully used for other things.

=-=

Edited by coin

a bit weird the thought of self-cleaning hair

not really.

i have only used soap on my hair a handful ov times in 25 years, otherwise i just rinse it w/water. it's been shoulder long, dreaded & short, & it's never been smelly or greasy.

on those occasions when i have washed w/soap i never felt the need to use a conditioner as in a couple ov days the natural oils kicked in & replaced that stuck dryness.

Stuff that roll-on crap that buggers up the pores!

antiperspirant bad. natural deodorant good.

lanolin?

Cow poo, sounds odd I know, but well composted munure and the water from that makes ur hands feel so ultra silky soft.

My mum told me to use beer as hair conditioner!

We were cleaning out an old house and found a carton of XXXX that was a lil past the use by (not that you'd wanna drink it anyway).. So I started pouring it on as conditioner when I'd wash my hair. And it made it real shiny and silky after a couple of goes! Just gotta make sure you wash it out properly, otherwise you smell like dirty pub :blink:

Anyone else heard of using beer for conditioner?

Iv heard of people bathing in beer, and it wouldnt surprise me that it could clean hair and skin. i dont love beer enough to give that a try though lol

lanolin?

Cow poo, sounds odd I know, but well composted munure and the water from that makes ur hands feel so ultra silky soft.

I dont grow cows and sheep but even if I did I couldnt see myself massaging manure into my hair and then rubbing my head clean on the side of a sheep.

I dont do THAT much drugs

.....any more :blush:

Warmed up jojoba oil in very tiny amounts rubbed into only the tips of hair is awesome too. Apparently jojoba oil is "small" enough to penetrate skin pores and hair shaft.

Jojoba oil is actually not oil, it is a 'wax ester' which is very similiar to human sebum so its good for oily skin, as the theory is that topically it tricks your face into thinking it is oily enough thereby reducing the amount of oil it needs to produce. As for hair it merely coats the end of the hair shaft making it feel and look nicer. But an awesome plant product nontheless. :)

I love it when Meeka talks technical. It's the scientists' version of talking 'dirty'!

:wub:

You can stop stalking me now, sorry to say i'm wearing arianrhod aromatics deodorant today and I've washed my hair with beer shampoo soap, followed by a double strength acv rinse... ahh.. that should scare him off :P

I rinse mine with cold leftover chamomile tea,it works well!

It won't keep for long though unless a natural preservative could be added....but I drink chamomile every day so.

Haven't used soap or shampoo for over 10 years,nor deodorant and well since I don't eat anything with additives apparently no-one can tell!?

I'll try the Apple Cider Vinegar,as I was thinking Citric Acid might stop the build up on the scalp anyway,as my hair is down to the middle of my back and I wear a cap a lot....(too much LOL)

I can smell the medication chems coming out sometimes though! YUK

Cool thread!

Regarding deodorant, i went about a month without using any, and for the first week my body odor was maybe a little more noticeable, but then i barely stank. I stank far less than when i use deodorant. I really only use it on weekends if i'm going out or something, but sweat and bacteria on the skin are natural and layering the skin with all sorts of chemicals isn't.

Deffinately gonna try the lemon/lime idea and another +1 for apple cider vinegar.

peace