The Corroboree
Smiling Cloud

90 mile plant

An older friend of mine knows that i have an interest in plants and began telling me the story of the 90 mile plant that he had taken whilst visiting an old aboriginal friend of his.

He said it has fleshy square leaves and when chewed gives you euphoria, heaps of energy, relieves you of hunger, makes you horny and apparently allows you to walk for 90 miles. He couldn't describe what the whole plant looks like as he only saw some of the leaves which he chewed.

My friend should be going out there later in the year and is going to get me a few plants and maybe seeds if possible. His friend really wants the knowledge to be spread as he said in his area the young guys aren't really interested in the plants and he really doesn't want the knowledge to die. There are a few other medicinal plants that he's going to get me too but only told me about this one.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of this? I thought it could be pituri but the description of the leaf doesn't really fit. All i know is that it has square fleshy leaves. Any other suggestions as to what it could be? I can't wait to get some of this, sounds really interesting. Could have a dopaminergic action if it makes you horny, may have found something pretty cool.

I think so... I'll be seeing him tomorrow or the next so i will get more info then. Won't have much more info though as he didn't give me much, other then the effect and what the leaf looks like. I'll ask him to draw a pic for me too...

Sounds good..keep us informed and perhaps sometime in the future spread some seeds and cuttings around and grow her at home and learn more about the plant...good work Mr Cloud... :)

H.

square leaves and the effects sound like sida rhombifolia?

native mesembyanthenum,ice plant,carpo[something or similar],maybe a kanna like effect .

try to find out where its from as exactly as possible.

t s t .

Edited by t st tantra

I would be interested in one too. Sound like a good plant to have in the collection

As soon as i get some cuttings/seeds of this plant i will be giving it away, the old guy wants this plant spread everywhere and thats what i'll do :) My friend won't be going out there till later in the year though...

Edited by Smiling Cloud

Will be interesting to see if this plant is well known or something relatively new.

Good stuff SC.

Peace

if its a succulent, maybe pigface? the "leaves" aren't exactly square, but triangular in cross section.... sounds interesting whatever it is!!

an aboriginal guide at a local wildlife park told our group that chewing the leaves of allocasuarina verticillata (drooping sheoak) would get us 50km without food or water; biting on the nut and getting a bit of the juice 100kms (he didn't use numbers but indicated distances geographically). He stipulated not to swallow any of the plant material and only a little bit was necessary, too much woudl cause digestive problems. He seemed very reliable, but more finely attuned to bush food than the average white fella, physiologically speaking. No mention of horniness B) Out of interest, after living in the bush for 6 months living off the land he said he needs to eat raw kangaroo and drink kangaroo blood to prepare his body for re-entering civilisation or supermarket food will make him horrendously sick. I have no reason to disbelieve what he said.

I have eaten the leaves and fruits of carpobrotus with no effect, this was a garnish or green in times of trouble i doubt this is the plant.

interesting stuff tho smiling cloud i'm keen to know the name.

Very interesting about the allocasuarina verticillata, has anyone else heard anything about this plant or tried it?

The nut doesn't look too appealing to bite into lol.

Peace

My father claims Aboriginal people used the seeds of Allocasuarina as some food source. Thought I would give it a try and its was extremely hard to even get inside the 'pod'. Having said that all I was using were my teeth. Didnt taste all that crash hot, but I had no idea what i was doing.

No idea where this info was meant to come from, and no mention of stim type qualities

yeah have heard similar regarding the casuarina and water/food, used to chew the nuts a few years ago with good success but getting the balance right was tricky; i can be pretty sensitive to things and pretty sure would get some neck tension and headache sometimes. I seem to get that a bit from astringent plants.

I didn't give them a good go over time, but definitely achieved effects.

In a reference book i was looking in the other day it said a similar thing, stimulates saliva and thus no drinkies. but the guide took it a bit further than that. certainly no eating of the material. he got me to do it, just bite into the out side of the nut and get a bit of 'juice' and that's it. not much at all. i didn't feel thirsty that day, haha, maybe placebo but actually i think there's something in it if i'm in the bush without water.

Another thing i wanted to add is that my friend, not the aboriginal guy that he knows, is by no means a sensitive type. THere's no way a slightly active substance would work on him...

Hey Smiling Cloud, sounds like you're on a winner there.

My hand is firmly up, I wouldn't mind a cutting or some seed please brutha? :drool2::wink:

Hey Smiling Cloud, sounds like you're on a winner there.

My hand is firmly up, I wouldn't mind a cutting or some seed please brutha? :drool2::wink:

This ones got me stoopified but yeah sound s like something i would definitely like to grow so I too definitely have my hand up for this one

Could it be wild plum?

or maybe it's that native ephedra which was in the spotlight for a while years ago.

i never saw this stuff, but i think it got sold at some of the herb shops.

anyway, does anybody know the name of this so called native ephedra, so we can reseach it and find out if it's a possible canditate?

Edited by planthelper

or maybe it's that native ephedra which was in the spotlight for a while years ago.

anyway, does anybody know the name of this so called native ephedra, so we can reseach it and find out if it's a possible canditate?

I remember some super potent stuff i got from a vendor on the Gold coast years back I was advised that it was not native but was brought over by chinese immigrants during the Australian Gold Rush period is this the ephedra to which you refer If i remember correctly simply chewing a small amount of stem with chewing gum was enough to get a fairly strong tingle hapening

It wasn't ephedra. It didn't even look like ephedra to anyone who is somewhat familar with plant biology. Some of the SA crew spotted this or a related species at the arid gardens in Pt Augusta and brought me a sample. It matched the dried 'native ephedra' perfectly. The name escapes me now, but it was in the legume family and the active constituent appears to have been spartein. I was very concerned about the widespread use of this as spartein isn't particularly harmless, and in particular can cause severe [even fatal] conditions when combined with SSRI antidepressants.

People could have had the same hit from smoking lupines at about $20 per bale :rolleyes: