The Corroboree
spiders

Any finds in aussie yet?

Do you mind sharing the aproximate altitude? I guess it makes sense that they could grow well in a valley which would provide dark, cool, moist conditions

I'm not sure the exact altitude but i'm guessing it was around 500 metres. Probably around half as high as the top of Springbrook :)

if there was ever a time in the last 5 years to go looking for them it would have to be right now!

With the wet summer, sharp cold snap over the last few months and the last week of constant heavy rain, its a green light for sure.

The rains is meant to be clearing up over the next day or two so I would get down there this weekend, I probabaly wont make it because of prior comitments but I look forward to getting some vicarious thrills from you guys... LOL

:wink:http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.p...889/an/0/page/0

Check it out the 2006 SA Season thread its about 11 pages long with alot of good photos and documentation of Mushrooms. Has been very productive so far this season :D

Peace n Happy Hunting

post-1342-1151471305_thumb.jpgHOLY MACARONEY! :o check this thing out!

this is a damn large sub (is it a sub? i think it is) pictured next to my inspector rex ( B)) dvd for comparison.

and yes, this is another very low quality picture from my terrible digital camera. it's a pity some bug beat me to this one, it's had a nibble taken out the side.

post-1342-1151471305_thumb.jpg

post-1342-1151471305_thumb.jpg

Edited by frank

hmmm that doesnt really look like a sub to me.....but i really know nothing about shrooms :unsure:

i hope for your sake it is :)

Ive been finding subs the last couple of days its been goooood B)

happy hunting all

well it is staining blue.....if they stain blue, does this DEFINITELY mean that they're psilocybian? because it seems to me that although the samples i find do in fact stain blue, they all have different characteristics.

some are yellow, some are brown, some are ten times the size of others. how are these all the same species?

It's not a good idea to go solely by the staining, although I have no idea if there are poisonous species that stain blue, and in Victoria I certainly haven't come across anything that stains blue in a similar fashion to the way subs do, that are not subs. I basically see it from above, and if it looks like a sub, I pick it up and and look for bluing in the stem and purple-brown spores covering the top of the stem. The gill colour is good indicator too.

ahh k i didnt see the blue staining in the pic...my mistake mate.

Nice find....sure is a big fucker :)

I didn't find any subs on the weekend in Qld (maybe because of drought?) even after all that rain. Same spot i found them last year. But i did find a few edibles which was good. I was just curious to find some more subs but it didn't happen.

I found a large patch of Suillus luteus in northern NSW under pines which was good :) Need to do some more introductions into Qld. This was my first time eating them and they tasted better than i expected. I think they are underated as an edible. They taste similar to oyster mushrooms.

well my large marge is definitely blueing.....in the same places as my other subs, and the gills are the same colour. i'm going to assume it's a sub. there's not poisonous ones that look muc like it. howver i dont think i'll eat it. that would be illegal of course! :o

happy hunting for the rest of winter everyone!

Yeah just from that pic I wouldn't doubt it being a Sub.

Just has a fat stem, you get that sometimes :wink:

Had a quick last minute decision hunt with hebrew the other day, good to catch up with you again mate :)

gallery_239_4_50012.jpg

med_gallery_239_4_39416.jpg

Also checked a small river section the following day with good luck, found a fresh 'roo leg aswell, bloody foxes.

Found a specimen around about 17cm long poking out of the grass.

baby and mature

gallery_239_4_47379.jpg

nice finds gerbil B) ....that second one is very similar to my monster....it just didn't show the blueing very well in my picture.

well it is staining blue.....if they stain blue, does this DEFINITELY mean that they're psilocybian? because it seems to me that although the samples i find do in fact stain blue, they all have different characteristics.

some are yellow, some are brown, some are ten times the size of others. how are these all the same species?

I'd say no about the bluing aspect, yes it's an indicator of active species and a good one at that, but I wouldn't solely rely on it. The Australian/world fungi are very understudied so who knows what's out there.

Identification must be on many different levels.

I'm constantly thrown by the variation subaeruginosa occurs with, even regarding smell. It can be very frustrating but fascinating at the same time. Environmental influences seem to play a huge role, particularly climatic, as well as phenotypic variation i'd imagine.

here's the long skinny sub, the picture doesn't do it justice though. (of course that's what they all say :wink: )

After taking the photo I realised the ID and out of such shock regarding legal matters it was luckily thrusted in the river, swept away from destroying our civilisation, oh won't somebody think of the children!!!

med_gallery_239_4_18998.jpg

med_gallery_239_4_18998.jpg

You might try cutting/squeezing mushrooms off at the stems next time too, so you don't rip a nasty hole out of the substrate. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just trying to look out for your patch :)

subs are yum- and those are tasty subs...

post-1277-1151678029_thumb.jpg

any guess what this is ?

it's definitely blue

and its spore print is a tan/light brown colour

post-1277-1151677924_thumb.jpg

lenght was about 3 inch

stem 10mm thick

found top of hill among leaf litter

post-1277-1151679037_thumb.jpg

first hunt for the year two minutes into the forest and there they were,you couldnt miss the blue it was so intense

you can see them in the top right hand of this pic

post-1277-1151679874_thumb.jpg

nice one gerbil

was a nice day

:D

I have no idea what those bright blue mushies are..but i come accross them regularly and whilst they are blue, have never found one that stains blue from bruising. do they BRUISE blue when you pinch them? ..whatever they are, they are everywhere around the blue mountains atm. almost too slimy too pick up! Could they be poisonous anyone?

Edited by soul-searching

I have no idea what those bright blue mushies are..but i come accross them regularly and whilst they are blue, have never found one that stains blue from bruising. do they BRUISE blue when you pinch them? ..whatever they are, they are everywhere around the blue mountains atm. almost too slimy too pick up! Could they be poisonous anyone?

slimey fat stemed almost purple??

The fat blue ones with rusty prints are Cortinarius

thats a

C rotundisporus

DO NOT EAT THESE!

http://fungimap.rbg.vic.gov.au/fsp/sp021.html

shit picture

also fungimap doesnt seem to have been updated in 5 years....

whatchall think of these??

post-11-1151724769_thumb.jpgpost-11-1151724675_thumb.jpgpost-11-1151724628_thumb.jpg

any ideas on identity?

june_06_044.jpg

june_06_045.jpg

june_06_046.jpg

june_06_044.jpg

june_06_045.jpg

june_06_046.jpg

Edited by Rev

any guess what this is ?

it's definitely blue

and its spore print is a tan/light brown colour

lenght was about 3 inch

stem 10mm thick

found top of hill among leaf litter

first hunt for the year two minutes into the forest and there they were,you couldnt miss the blue it was so intense

you can see them in the top right hand of this pic

Thank you rev, ive been wandering about these mushrooms as i keep finding them and they look beautiful to photograph in the wild. I found some info regarding toxicity, but am not sure whether the info is correct...cause im a noob :unsure:

"There are close to one thousand species, some of which are quite large. And unlike other groups of conspicuous living things in the temperate world, many Cortinarius mushrooms have never been characterized and named by science.

Because the group is so large, it might take more than one lifetime to completely study, categorize, and name all these mushrooms. But since scientific interest and funds today focus on biotechnology, not biodiversity, this has not happened yet.

Toxicity

When I first began learning about mushrooms in 1980, some Cortinarius mushrooms were edible, others were poisonous. The poisonous ones were slightly toxic to the kidneys. But the kidneys removed the poison from the bloodstream. Unfortunately, instead of excreting the toxin in the urine, the kidneys return the poison to the blood, enduring an unnoticeably small amount of damage that doesn't manifest itself for several weeks, when kidney failure ensues!

Since then, there's been evidence that all Cortinarius species might have some of this toxin, so even the ones that people had been eating without obvious ill effects are suspect. Because of possible fatal kidney damage, because many of the species are so difficult to identify, and because many of the species are still unknown, you should avoid eating all Cortinarius mushrooms."

i'll second that

thanks rev :worship:

never considered eatin them(thought the bluing was too convenient to be useful) just amazed at the intensity of the colour